Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Somehow I think you might be biased about how good the story is.

This thread is entirely free of bias otherwise. Nothing but objective and fair minded opinions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Some posters itt seem to revel in posting spoilers. I'd advise to just not read the thread if you haven't completed the game.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

itry posted:

Some posters itt seem to revel in posting spoilers. I'd advise to just not read the thread if you haven't completed the game.

having worked through Tim Rogers a bit (which turns out, I'm one of those perverts that really liked his schtick), could we go with the thread title: Cyperpunk 2077 - The discourse is poisoned

or Talking about talking about talking about Cyperpunk 2077.

Man, it must be exhausting being Tim.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cyberpunk 2077 - A Tim Rogers thread

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

itry posted:

Yes, the thread about discussing the game is discussing the game.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
When did they say more was coming out, 2022?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes, the thread about discussing the game is discussing the game.

Yes that's exactly what I was talking about :rolleyes:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
The subnautica thread is at least 85% people bitching about bugs (first game) and how much they hate the story (second game) and it's been out for years, and somehow they still manage the common courtesy of using spoiler tags. I don't think it's an unreasonable request for this thread either.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

lol game bad

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Spoiler tags are annoying, the game has been out for a while and the story isn't interesting in the least. If you're so worried about spoilers ruining your experience of playing a bad game, why haven't you played it yet and why are you reading the thread about it.

And if you're this worried about knowing story details of some piece of pop media, grow up.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Jokes aside the OP does ask to avoid unmarked spoilers now that I've had a look at it, so we should probably use spoiler tags or remove that line from the OP.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

When did they say more was coming out, 2022?

Just lol if you think anything that they say regarding upcoming dates can be taken seriously at all after the saga that started with “when it’s ready”

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm sorry, I thought reading a thread about a game once it had been out for a while was an "at your own risk" kind of thing, but I'll use spoiler tags going forward.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Fame Douglas posted:

Spoiler tags are annoying, the game has been out for a while and the story isn't interesting in the least. If you're so worried about spoilers ruining your experience of playing a bad game, why haven't you played it yet and why are you reading the thread about it.

And if you're this worried about knowing story details of some piece of pop media, grow up.

On the other hand spoiler tags are super easy to add and people regularly pop in to the thread and ask if the nextgen update is out/the game is fixed now on old consoles so they can pick it up again. (=> they obviously haven‘t finished it)

I‘d agree for a lot of games that had a smooth launch that you wouldn‘t need spoiler tags a year after, but CP2077 is bit different in that regard, imo.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I had been spoiled multiple times about stuff but figure it's more cause I quit before the parade thing.

Never met voodoo boys or went thru clouds or did the parade, helped panam get revenge & did the power plant which was p cool seeming

I don't really remember why I quit tbh

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The review embargo is basically still in effect until the next-gen update drops.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Spoiler tags are polite, but then again that's just like, my opinion, man.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm sorry, I thought reading a thread about a game once it had been out for a while was an "at your own risk" kind of thing, but I'll use spoiler tags going forward.

lmao

Splorange posted:

Spoiler tags are polite, but then again that's just like, my opinion, man.

Clicking spoiler tags is super annoying, posting in spoiler tags is considered to be extremely rude. And people online really worried about spoilers are often the dumbest people in any discussion.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
The story was fine, there just wasn't a whole lot of reactivity to player choice. Would've been fine if it was touted as a more linear action story instead of a complex RPG.

There's quite a few places where things drag a bit, and either due to bugs or poor planning some minor story beats (and a major one for me) can trigger before they are meant to, leading to some confusion. Haven't played in a year so those issues might be fixed.

My biggest two gripes are with the open world being mostly barren (besides some nice scenic areas, although a lot of that is lost on the console versions) and most of the actual gameplay systems being broken, either due to bugs or intentionally bad design.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

And people online really worried about spoilers are often the dumbest people in any discussion.

Can't disagree with you here, I still try to be polite to morons until they prove to be assholes as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
some lovely people in this thread

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fame Douglas posted:

Clicking spoiler tags is super annoying, posting in spoiler tags is considered to be extremely rude.
Spoiler tags are not annoying. What a psycho thing to say!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I agree with you tbh, as we approach the anniversary of the game's launch I'd expect people opening the thread to be prepared to see unmarked spoilers. Besides which, most people's enjoyment of most stories is not actually reduced by spoilers, and in fact can be enhanced. As an example, I watched all the cutscenes from Metal Gear Solid V on youtube before playing it, and most certainly enjoyed playing it more than I would have otherwise. On the other hand, I went into Nier Automata blind a year after it came out And I most certainly enjoyed that more because I didn't know what was coming. I'd place Cyberpunk more in the former category than the latter, but still I guess that example demonstrates that spoiler tags have their place

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Fame Douglas posted:

Spoiler tags are annoying, the game has been out for a while and the story isn't interesting in the least.

A lot of people disagree and it's just common loving courtesy anyway; it's in the OP.

I also don't really care about spoilers and sometimes I get sloppy with the tags, but I do it anyway because I want to be decent to those who feel differently.

While we're at it you might wanna check the forum rules.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I had been spoiled multiple times about stuff but figure it's more cause I quit before the parade thing.

Never met voodoo boys or went thru clouds or did the parade, helped panam get revenge & did the power plant which was p cool seeming

I don't really remember why I quit tbh

how far into the game did i get btw, like... 25%? 33% 50%
Is it at all worth doing a run for each background?

e: spoiler tags can be annoying af
if it's a giant block of text, especially if it's referring to multiple different pieces of info in one thing.
if you're spoilering timg'd images
if there's not enough context to decide if you've actually done that part or not

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 5, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

A lot of people disagree and it's just common loving courtesy anyway; it's in the OP.

I also don't really care about spoilers and sometimes I get sloppy with the tags, but I do it anyway because I want to be decent to those who feel differently.

I feel different, shouldn't you want to be decent to me? You seem like a really rude person.

2house2fly posted:

Spoiler tags are not annoying. What a psycho thing to say!

They obviously are annoying, otherwise people would always use them. What a weird psycho thing to say.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
eh this is dumb because while spoilers can be used annoyingly such as spoiling punchlines or unrelated crap in a thread where there are real spoilers, this is a giant logical hole. You can't unspoil yourself if you didn't want to be, that's a total misread about what comte is saying

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No, they impact literally nothing except a few flavour replies in a handful of conversations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Witcher thread has no issue using spoilers despite the game being many years old.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

No, you get one specific short subquest for each background and a few dialogue options, that's it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Playing the different life stories makes it really obvious how pretty much all of the dialogue is exactly the same, but with [NOMAD] instead of [STREET KID] or [CORPO]

eh this is dumb because while spoilers can be used annoyingly such as spoiling punchlines or unrelated crap in a thread where there are real spoilers, this is a giant logical hole. You can't unspoil yourself if you didn't want to be, that's a total misread about what comte is saying

If you don't want to be spoiled about some old game, don't read discussion about it. Weird spoiler phobia actively hinders and worsens any and all discussion of the medium.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I'd just go with Nomad because the exclusive nomad vehicle is very cheap and cool looking. Driving it is less awful than most other cars too.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Alchenar posted:

The Witcher thread has no issue using spoilers despite the game being many years old.

It helps that people tend not to troll that thread in the least interesting way imaginable.. and it being liked enough that most people agree on what deserves spoiler tags.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Here is the solution to Fame Douglas being an rear end in a top hat about spoilers

It also solves the issue of all of their other objectively rude and terrible posts!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Talk about throwing stones in a glass house, lmao

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Ha, there was 40 new replies and I thought they announced something over night. But no, it was just goons being goons because someone asked if we could use spoiler tags.

Edit:
And with the next gen version dropping soon, there’s gonna be a lot of people coming back to the thread to check it out.

You know, 2027 when it’s ready.

Robobot fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 5, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Splorange posted:

It helps that people tend not to troll that thread in the least interesting way imaginable.. and it being liked enough that most people agree on what deserves spoiler tags.

There's an odd thing with spoiler tags where they serve as a sign of respect or reverence. Like, if someone talked about Hatred today they wouldn't bother to spoiler tag it. Or The Order 1886. Who cares about The Order 1886?

Witcher 3 doesn't really need spoiler tags; it's more about the dialogue scenes and the atmosphere, which can't be spoiled by text on a forum. The plot isn't anything to write home about. Would you believe Geralt eventually finds Ciri? And that the people mentioned in the name of the game will be important to the endgame?? But people spoiler tag it, because they want to show the appropriate reverence

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
what's extra funny about everyone complaining that they don't like tim robbins is that he summarized all of their complaints into one video :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie8YUazHgRI

Splorange posted:

Yeah, the story and characters are arguably the best part of the entire game, so ruining it for other people (we have one or two per page coming in and asking about starting) seems performative and petty. Like they want to ruin any possible enjoyment because their own experience was so bitter. It's easy to make honest mistakes, but at least try a little bit?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, the story and characters are arguably the best part of the entire game, so ruining it for other people (we have one or two per page coming in and asking about starting) seems performative and petty. Like they want to ruin any possible enjoyment because their own experience was so bitter. It's easy to make honest mistakes, but at least try a little bit?

No, people want to discuss the game and story. This thread is not a marketing vehicle intended to sell the game to an audience of new players.

Also, no one ever watches a one and a half hour video about some game linked in a thread.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just update the thread title to say next gen isn’t out and it’s still broken and bland, job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it was not gonna be NV.

I don't know who keeps saying that they wanted a Cyberpunk New Vegas. I don't want a game where you can go and speak to Alt within the first half hour and speech check your way into an end game on the spot.

I want one where a courier can interrupt your counterfeit gun delivery. Just a world that's now alive. I don't need a million branching paths. I just want a fat cop to yell at a kid NPC while I'm waiting for noodles or something. Or to hear a scream from above and look up to see someone getting thrown off of one of the cool overstreet pedestrian walkways

:shrug: