Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Azhais posted:

Tell that to Highlander 2!

Highlander what? Wait, there was no sequel...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Yeah, it's pretty dire. One hopes that Discovery will be one day good, but for now, it's that weird show that brought up more interesting ideas than they were ever actually going to explore. My more realistic hope for Discovery is that its legitimately interesting ideas (like, at least cast-wise, Strange New Worlds) will eventually be explored by some other series down the line. I don't know what the hell Picard is, but maybe the new people who are in charge do.

Kind of like how post-TNG Trek just made bad movies out of decent ideas, and much of DS9 could slip under Berman's radar when Voyager was what he cared about, probably because if he could make it general enough it would make him a bazillionaire at Paramount if it worked. Not because he gave a poo poo about the integrity of Star Trek in any shape or form. And now we have Kurtzman at CBS.

I don't know if "history repeats itself" is truly accurate. I think it's more accurate to say that history has echoes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Seriously this. Action scenes where it's just a bunch of stuff randomly flying around is boring as hell. Same with shaky cam fight scenes. If you can't tell what's happening it's not exciting it's just stuff on screen. There's seriously so many different ways to do exciting action screens with explosions and what not, without making the screen a god drat mess of randomly moving crap.

looking at poo poo like this

makes me assume that they were cargo-culting the rings of explosions and chaos and innumerable debris of Battlestar Galactica battles,

https://i.imgur.com/MdjoFvk.mp4

but Galactica had a totally different setup to their battles and actually pulled it off and made sense and also you tended to follow small individuals inside it and all of the mess was a backdrop of overwhelming scale.

Not to mention they had a situation where it made sense there were these choked-full space with rings of explosions. (If you haven't seen it, they don't have shields, and the ships defend themselves by firing streams of explosive flak to form barriers between them and the enemy)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 5, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I can't remember which thread it was in, but someone pointed out that traditionally, Star Wars battles were aerial dogfights, and Star Trek battles were naval engagements, and I've always felt like this was the best explanation as to why a lot of modern Trek ship combat feels off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

looking at poo poo like this

makes me assume that they were cargo-culting the rings of explosions and chaos and innumerable debris of Battlestar Galactica battles,

https://i.imgur.com/MdjoFvk.mp4

but Galactica had a totally different setup to their battles and actually pulled it off and made sense and also you tended to follow small individuals inside it and all of the mess was a backdrop of overwhelming scale.

Not to mention they had a situation where it made sense there were these choked-full space with rings of explosions. (If you haven't seen it, they don't have shields, and the ships defend themselves by firing streams of explosive flak to form barriers between them and the enemy)

That scene was absolutely ripping off Battlestar Galactica. They're trying to rip off bits like the New Caprica fight without understanding the significance of a single Battlestar fending off barrages from 2-4 Basestars + Raider compliments.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That scene was absolutely ripping off Battlestar Galactica. They're trying to rip off bits like the New Caprica fight without understanding the significance of a single Battlestar fending off barrages from 2-4 Basestars + Raider compliments.

Trying to model any part of Trek off of Battlestar Galactica, especially when BSG was built from the ground up to be a thermonuclear knee jerk "gently caress YOU!" to Star Trek from Ron Moore after he bounced from Voyager is a prospect doomed from the very start.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Khanstant posted:

What was Controls plan anyway is what drives me the most nuts. As is, say it gets the sphere data, then what? Just hoping it has the hot tricks to defeat the entire galaxy e-z?

If control's motivation was either domination of galaxy or killing it's inhabitants for whatever reasons, then why even start killing and replacing people? Surely the better way to have your power and influence spread would to just be a goodass computer until starfleet and others are casually stuffing Control into everything. THEN stage your takeover once you've already had people willingly reproduce and spread you.

I kind of assumed it was similar to Samaritan from Person of Interest. It's goal was the objective given it at its creation, which is protecting the Federation, but the means it decides to protect the Federation might not be what Federation leaders want.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If we accept Dal as the captain for a moment...
Pog is the chief engineer.
Roh-Tahk is the chief security officer.
What's Zero's role?
In practice, they advice the "captain" on what to do in difficult situations.

So, Zero is... Number One?

That's a good pun, Star Trek, well done.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Even if you speak the same language a rogue translator could suppress what the other person is actually saying and make you hear something different -- though in that case you'd have a chance to notice their lips don't match their words. Luckily the universal translator has never gone rogue

Disco season 5 starts with another show reset because all this time the universal translator has been sabotaging the ship due to control infection.
No, we already forgot the ship is storing 100000 years of existence of sphere data.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I just realized that if the Sphere has been collecting transmissions from Earth, it probably has all those lost Doctor Who episodes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

V-Men posted:

I just realized that if the Sphere has been collecting transmissions from Earth, it probably has all those lost Doctor Who episodes.

Gotta say this really applies a personal touchtone to "trove of universal knowledge"

It felt so remote before this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erulisse posted:

Disco season 5 starts with another show reset because all this time the universal translator has been sabotaging the ship due to control infection.
No, we already forgot the ship is storing 100000 years of existence of sphere data.

Hell they already keep forgetting it's apparently made the ship sentient when it's not directly related to the plot. That should be the kind of thing in the background throughout the season, with the AI interacting with the crew as a character and establishing boundaries and dialogue between them all. Or at least the AI discreetly helping in more small problems.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell they already keep forgetting it's apparently made the ship sentient when it's not directly related to the plot. That should be the kind of thing in the background throughout the season, with the AI interacting with the crew as a character and establishing boundaries and dialogue between them all. Or at least the AI discreetly helping in more small problems.

Future starfleet did a full refit of the ship and didn't notice the super ai in the computer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alchenar posted:

Future starfleet did a full refit of the ship and didn't notice the super ai in the computer.

Hey now, they put in a cool unprotected fluctuating programmable-matter wall in the computer core! That takes a lot of effort you know!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Didn't they upgrade the ship except it was apparently a superficial enough upgrade that when burnham did a factory reset on the ship's programmable matter computer it all went back to 23rd century operating system but apparently that ran just fine and the whole thing didn't just fall apart.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 5, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I was going to keep an eyeball count, but I lost track after about 15.

So many sincere eyeball closeups.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The universal translator as shown has always been a bit of a horror show.

I'm pretty sure the original Trek had an episode with a sentient gas cloud and, when they ran the translator on it, found it was female.

One of the crew asked how the translator could know a cloud was female, and Spock(?) said it was because it was psionic tech. Meaning, the universal translator doesn't just use "predictive speech" it reads your mind.

But that's a single episode from 60 years ago and has most likely been technobabbled out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I like a reading of Star Trek where they're living in The Culture except the AIs maintain an enormous masquerade that the organic species of the Federation are in charge of everything.

Because if you pull together all the stories where the computer can/can't do something, solves a situation at the last minute, or mysteriously sets up an interesting adventure there's actually a fair bit of evidence to support it.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Khanstant posted:

What was Controls plan anyway is what drives me the most nuts. As is, say it gets the sphere data, then what? Just hoping it has the hot tricks to defeat the entire galaxy e-z?

The robot space squid is Control in the future, having got the sphere data to become "alive". It was Future Control that sent the commands back to Control Airiam and ensure its escape from confinement in the base.

Everything it did was following it's future self's memories to ensure it's own creation, and getting the sphere to become "alive" was the next step, that's why the future Ma Burnham lived in was lifeless.

Michael having a Red Angel suit was the game changer, and she basically did the same as Control by stacking the deck to ensure victory, but did it at all at once and relied on faith in herself and her crew to succeed, because being alive means you can improvise and not be reliant on only your programming.

Taking the sphere data away prevented any version of Control existing, so that timeline is gone and was replaced with the Burn future, but it all still happened because even though I like Discovery and give it a LOT of slack, Star Trek has never managed a good bootstrap paradox story, Discovery season 2 didn't even bother making it clear that was happening.

BooDooBoo fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 5, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Technowolf posted:

Is the 'Vehicle Replicator' them giving a wink to the infinite shuttles Voyager had?

100% my thought, I laughed at the first mention of it. The actual process was a but cartoony, I don't think space OSHA would let it keep running with people fighting in it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I did not realize Jimmi Simpson does the voice of the evil robot but now that it's been pointed out it's incredibly obvious

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I was going to keep an eyeball count, but I lost track after about 15.

So many sincere eyeball closeups.

I'm pretty sure the original Trek had an episode with a sentient gas cloud and, when they ran the translator on it, found it was female.

One of the crew asked how the translator could know a cloud was female, and Spock(?) said it was because it was psionic tech. Meaning, the universal translator doesn't just use "predictive speech" it reads your mind.

But that's a single episode from 60 years ago and has most likely been technobabbled out.

“Metamorphosis”, the one that introduced Zefram Cochrane. Definitely one of the weirdest TOS episodes. Nobody even explains how or why it works! The translator that Spock McGyvered together just chooses to represent the voice of the gas cloud as female, and they all conclude that this agrees with notions of the universal constant of femininity and masculinity and makes sense with the gas cloud’s nurturing and protective qualities. Therefore it couldn’t possibly be a gay alien, but must be a woman alien, despite the fact that it has no biological form whatsoever. (the alien is also monotheistic)

They end up letting it move into the (female) body of the passenger of the week because she’s dying anyway and seems to be feeling pretty bad about being a career-focused old maid. So she/cloud woman decides to quit her job and just spend the rest of her life on an asteroid shacked up with Zefram Cochrane. Kirk must have had an amazing time explaining to his superiors what happened to the assistant deputy commissioner he was supposed to be transporting.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

skasion posted:

... Kirk must have had an amazing time explaining to his superiors what happened to the assistant deputy commissioner he was supposed to be transporting.

I've always liked the fan theory/joke that the admirals back at Starfleet HQ just assumed that Kirk made up half the poo poo in his logs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Janeway's speech about the federation/starfleet was just so much better than Michael's WE ARE STARFLEET

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
For all the jokes(?) about Evil Janeway, Kate Mulgrew has some serious gravitas when voicing her.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Mulgrew is great.

She also enunciates so well, some of her voice work (and the computer noises) really reminded me of narration at Epcot, maybe in Spaceship Earth. I guess that goes along with the LDS theme being kissing cousins with the Soarin' music

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I just have to say, the horny dolphins needs to be a recurring Lower Decks gag

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

The Bloop posted:

Janeway's speech about the federation/starfleet was just so much better than Michael's WE ARE STARFLEET

Kate's knocking it out of the park. :)

We are living in a world where I'm more interested in watching Janeway then Picard. :eek:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

LegoMan posted:

They're WHALES, damnit.

:mad:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

shades of eternity posted:

Kate's knocking it out of the park. :)

We are living in a world where I'm more interested in watching Janeway then Picard. :eek:

loving Chakotay is going to turn up and be more interesting than anything in the past 5 years.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Thom12255 posted:

loving Chakotay is going to turn up and be more interesting than anything in the past 5 years.

It's 20 years later, there's new writers with a new direction, it's very possible. Chakotay might have the most wasted potential on Voyager. I'd love to see it revisited.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LegoMan posted:

The writers confirmed that they'll be recurring crewmembers in season 3 now they've been established.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

gently caress whoever gave Beltran another chance. He had 7 years to not be an rear end in a top hat and do his job. There's so many other actors and characters to go to instead.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Khanstant posted:

If control's motivation was either domination of galaxy or killing it's inhabitants for whatever reasons, then why even start killing and replacing people? Surely the better way to have your power and influence spread would to just be a goodass computer until starfleet and others are casually stuffing Control into everything. THEN stage your takeover once you've already had people willingly reproduce and spread you.

Nobody asked but if I wanted to just nudge it slightly in a better direction, woulda made the Sphere Data more of a character and then had Control succeed in absorbing it but in doing so it just teaches it empathy and being chill, woulda been a one episode affair for Control, few eps of Sphere on the side. Plenty of other conflicts they coulda CG'd out on if they must, and they chose the only nonsense reasons possible to go into the future so anything else there would work. First thought is "oh poo poo this experimental tech we use all the time friggin jammed us into the future w no way back , o well thats how it goes."

Control is a child. An egotistical genocidal child, but still a child. Since it was raised by S31 it was taught that killing anyone who is a threat to you is a-okay, just be sneaky about it.

While we never see it on screen, we can assume some S31 folks were paranoid about rogue AIs getting up to shenanigans. Any sign that their analysis computer was becoming a self-willed person with their own goals and desires would be a malfunction that needed to be reprogramed. There could have been a whole big chess match between the emerging self-willed AI and a paranoid programmer that ended in Control venting the station to space. But we didn't get to see it, because that isn't the story Discovery wanted to tell. So we just get an evil AI with a lousy plan that doesn't make sense.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 5, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

blastron posted:

A single other person has been able to do it, and that person has weird nature empath powers which is why they tried it (out of desperation since Stamets wasn’t available) in the first place. It’s very convenient, yes, but it’s not out of the blue.

Presumably 23rd-century Starfleet would eventually have done a bunch of testing to see if there were species who could natively interface with the drive without augmentation, but since they only ever had one working prototype which got classified out of existence they never got the chance.

Oh man, what if it was Betazoids? Every ship would have to have one, at least one. Which would be fine, but look at betazoids we've seen: a lousy councillor, a sex pest diplomat, a murderer, and a dishonest negotiator. Can you imagine the drama singularity formed by the Starfleet Betazed Navigator's Guild?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Voyager had a Betazed navigator who died when they were transported to the Delta Quadrant iirc

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CaptainSkinny posted:

gently caress whoever gave Beltran another chance. He had 7 years to not be an rear end in a top hat and do his job. There's so many other actors and characters to go to instead.

I think a lot of the negative stories about Beltran have been exaggerated over the years. By all rights, it seems he gave it his best for the first 3-4 years, and became disillusioned by the poor writing and lack of direction for Chakotay. He’s well liked by his cast-mates, it seems. Was it unprofessional to trash the show while it was still on? Sure. But I seem to remember Mulgrew was even at that point by the last season.

Like Spiner, he comes off as a relatively chill dude with a really dry sense of humor that may rub people the wrong way.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

LegoMan posted:

https://trekmovie.com/2021/11/03/listen-to-lt-matts-cetacean-ops-personal-log-from-star-trek-lower-decks/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Did anyone see that huge.. tankard of coffee that HoloJaneway drinks out of?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

HoloCoffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

no i missed it

:v:

it was fantastic actually