Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

why are they all threaded

greg does nothing but reply to himself with his own stupid ideas, then end a long thread with "subscribe to my substack for more Thought Leadership!!!" and then start another thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shame Boy posted:

greg does nothing but reply to himself with his own stupid ideas, then end a long thread with "subscribe to my substack for more Thought Leadership!!!" and then start another thread

what if livejournal but twitter?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
it's a ted talk for people with a 3 second attention span

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so a ted talk

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Friendship ended with Orb, now Cube is my best friend

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
if i'm understanding it right you can have free unfettered access to cube in your own home if you destroy the receipt that says you own the cube, very profound

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
was wondering what illustrious history inspires greg's great thoughts

> Previously, I was the Head of Product Strategy at WeWork

ah.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I refuse to believe that's a real person and not a bot of some kind

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

sounds kinda like a markov bot but that can't be it. markov bot did nothing wrongov

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Genuine question: now that more Proof of Stake cryptos are popping up, is it true that they genuinely solve the environmental issues (in exchange for being even more blatantly manipulable)? I assume so, but I also have no idea how it'd scale when/if every crypto thing is pushing it as hard as they can. Obviously it's a moot point until no crypto is harmful because otherwise any harmless crypto would raise the profile of its harmful peers.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

isn't proof of steak the one where the more coins you have the more you get?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Proof of stake is the one where they rely on a few trusted nodes to broadcast the true state, thus rendering all the extra rigmarole even more meaningless than normal. It solves the environmental issues by doing absolutely nothing that could even vaguely be considered useful. https://medium.com/@abhisharm/understanding-proof-of-stake-through-its-flaws-part-3-long-range-attacks-672a3d413501

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

comedyblissoption posted:

unbeknownst to you the judge has a significant stake in nfts

it gets appealed and it turns out likewise with a majority of the supreme court

:doh:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

iirc it's where you call up the richest guy in the token to have them confirm that every transaction of that token is legit, the assumption being that the richest guy would obviously have a vested interest in ensuring that the token stays legitimate. Which seems insane to me but hey I'll take it. And I hear Etherium's switching to it any day now™!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Proof of stake is the one where they rely on a few trusted nodes to broadcast the true state, thus rendering all the extra rigmarole even more meaningless than normal. It solves the environmental issues by doing absolutely nothing that could even vaguely be considered useful. https://medium.com/@abhisharm/understanding-proof-of-stake-through-its-flaws-part-3-long-range-attacks-672a3d413501

I mean on the one hand that's good news, but on the other hand I don't see how crypto guys don't hate this enough to switch to using a PoW fork/alternative.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

yeah proof of stake is just a layer of smoke and mirrors on top of a system that's either fiat (but not that fiat) or proof of work by another name under the hood

mystes
May 31, 2006

Boxturret posted:

Proof of steak is powered by agricultural methane emissions

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

iirc it's where you call up the richest guy in the token to have them confirm that every transaction of that token is legit, the assumption being that the richest guy would obviously have a vested interest in ensuring that the token stays legitimate. Which seems insane to me but hey I'll take it. And I hear Etherium's switching to it any day now™!

I mean on the one hand that's good news, but on the other hand I don't see how crypto guys don't hate this enough to switch to using a PoW fork/alternative.

Proof of Steak exists enough for coiners to point to it as a reason to handwave away the fact that no actual large chain runs on it, or that in order to switch over to it you'd have to convince everyone with millions of dollars of mining hardware to just throw that away in favor of a system where people who saved the most coins get the money (which if you're a miner, you probably didn't do)

it solves the environmental problems, sure, but it only does that if you can get bitcoin and etherium and all the other big ones to switch to it, and that will never ever happen

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

markov did nothing wrongov

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
proof of stake proponents make the claim that those with a preponderance of wealth have no incentive to exploit the have-nots

it's a truly baffling take in tyool 2021

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

KnifeWrench posted:

proof of stake proponents make the claim that those with a preponderance of wealth have no incentive to exploit the have-nots

ah, but the legacy financial system doesn't have scammer tags!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bitcointalk 2.0 still isn't out, unsurprisingly

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

no the claim is that they're incentivized not to, because then their share would be rendered worthless as people lost trust in the system. and as past evidence has shown, that's definitely what happens with crypto projects and there's definitely not still an entire fork of etherium where people decided that DAO hack still existed or whatever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

bitcointalk 2.0 still isn't out, unsurprisingly

for being rich off holding bitcoins since the early days they sure don't seem to be able to like, hire anyone to do basic loving IT work it seems, weird

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/benipsen/status/1456815712014454785?s=21

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the tweet that's in response to :eyepop:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
greg is the :thunk:ing man's pomp

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1451905003849924619

i'm not working a second job to scrape by, i'm into polywork :smug:

he's got tons of job titles because, as former Head of Product Strategy at WeWork, his expertise and experience are in high demand among companies and investors, so he's got lots of cushy Advisor jobs

he left WeWork in like mid 2020, well after it had imploded

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SubG posted:

nothing is denser than bitcoiners

take them to tha moon

so we can do orbital bitcoiner rod bombardment from the moon base

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
What exactly is 'web3' in these people's minds, I know it came up in the thread before but it slid right off my brain lobes

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

decentralised internet, which as one tweet posted a few days ago pointed out is basically reverting to what the internet was before everything condensed into a handful of sites like google and facebook, only on the blockchain which is better for reasons none of them can actually explain

mystes
May 31, 2006

pseudopresence posted:

What exactly is 'web3' in these people's minds, I know it came up in the thread before but it slid right off my brain lobes
The web but running on the Blockchain or something.

Kind of like ipfs but stupider

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

back to the good old days of every ISP being its own mini walled garden which is incompatible with everything else and you have to pay to read every page

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
that isenberg guy is amazing. i almost think he's writing stupid things on purpose, but not quite.

- Super fun

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

pseudopresence posted:

the web, but this time they get to be an early adopter

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

so hey, i'm not gonna actually read the past few pages, but did y'all see that the infrastructure bill amended section 6050i to include crypto transactions? 6050i is the provision that requires banks or any other business that receives payment of >$10k in cash to report the person's info to the irs. any business that accepts crypto after the bill is signed by biden will have to do full kyc reporting for all transactions greater than 10k. violations of 6050i are a felony.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Mr. Nice! posted:

so hey, i'm not gonna actually read the past few pages, but did y'all see that the infrastructure bill amended section 6050i to include crypto transactions? 6050i is the provision that requires banks or any other business that receives payment of >$10k in cash to report the person's info to the irs. any business that accepts crypto after the bill is signed by biden will have to do full kyc reporting for all transactions greater than 10k. violations of 6050i are a felony.

This is actually good for bitcoin.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

would that include people trading crypto? that's really the only way I can see it making a difference because at this point actually using crypto to buy anything is just storytime that lets people pretend their gambling is investing.

I guess it could make self-dealing NFTs to pump their value less attractive.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shifty Pony posted:

would that include people trading crypto? that's really the only way I can see it making a difference because at this point actually using crypto to buy anything is just storytime that lets people pretend their gambling is investing.

I guess it could make self-dealing NFTs to pump their value less attractive.

quote:

(a) Cash receipts of more than $10,000 Any person—
(1) who is engaged in a trade or business, and
(2) who, in the course of such trade or business, receives more than $10,000 in cash in 1 transaction (or 2 or more related transactions),
shall make the return described in subsection (b) with respect to such transaction (or related transactions) at such time as the Secretary may by regulations prescribe.

i'd have to dig into the regulations, but essentially if anything you're doing is business related (even sole proprietorships), and you receive $10k+ in cash, you have to report.

the amount of coins moving around in the course of some trade or business is a pretty massive swathe. it's all going to depend on how the treasury regs shake out. there are gonna be a lotta mad coiners as people move onto other methods that aren't so easily traceable (such as actual cash again) for money laundering art.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

here's the reg as it stands now - https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.6050I-1

it's pretty broad. i can't imagine how that won't include the majority of crypto transactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Mr. Nice! posted:

here's the reg as it stands now - https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.6050I-1

it's pretty broad. i can't imagine how that won't include the majority of crypto transactions.

It's broad but I'm fairly sure you'd have to torture the legal definition of "cash" in the statute to have cryptocurrency fall under a form 8300.