Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I thought the beta was shite. Would my mind be changed now? Xbox Series X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I didn't touch the beta, but I have been very happy with the multiplayer mode. I'm seeing everyone dunk really hard on the zombies mode though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have finally set a new personal record.

I started the campaign, didn't realize I had to actually sprint jump off the train, and managed to kill myself within two steps of starting a game because I fell into the two foot gap between the cars.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I didn't touch the beta, but I have been very happy with the multiplayer mode. I'm seeing everyone dunk really hard on the zombies mode though.

Is it better than the WW2 multiplayer?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The maps aren't littered with players placing booby traps and mines everywhere, so yes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Literally any Call of Duty game post-4 would be better than WW2's multiplayer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Literally any Call of Duty game post-4 would be better than WW2's multiplayer.

Ghost is still the one I enjoyed the least.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Ghost is still the one I enjoyed the least.

True. I could almost be convinced to give them a tie, but WW2 had too many technical issues, and the streaks were absolutely boring, weak, and unfulfilling compared to any game before or since.

Ghosts at least had Hot Dog map and the Maniac streak. It also had that "get a kill in 30 seconds or you die" game mode which was fun as Hell.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 6, 2021

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I thought the beta was shite. Would my mind be changed now? Xbox Series X.

The consensus I've here and on Reddit is surprise at how good and fun it is, especially after the beta

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wasn't a fan of the beta but they've made an outright shocking amount of improvements after that beta period. Turns out a lot of minor fixes went a long way.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

You're all making this difficult to resist instead of buying BF2042 in a few weeks! I enjoyed that beta but it was absolutely hosed on Xbox Series X.

tjones
May 13, 2005
The game ain't bad. It does have a ton of flaws.

If you liked MW2019 you'll most likely like this. If you liked WWII (it was very well received by most COD fans, both casuals and the comp scene) and don't mind MW2019 or the MW engine (Warzone), you'll most likely love it.

It's a WWII reskin ontop of the MW engine. The engine is smooth, the movement is fluid and the gunfeel is just as good as it was in MW2019. The action is fast and the gunfights are just as good as they were in MW2019. TTK is roughly in line with MW2019 with some of the meta loadouts making the TTK feel slightly faster than the majoriyt of meta loadouts in MW2019.

It runs well enough on the OG consoles that you can still be competitive with next gen. They even have an FOV slider that doesn't affect the frame rate, as far as I can tell. The colors are blown out and sometimes players are hard to see, but that was the same in WWII as well, so no difference there. There are currently some glaring lighting issues that needs to be fixed ASAP, at least for the OG consoles. Audio mixing is better than the beta but still all over the place.

Maps are mostly good and varied but the destructable environment feature ruins the routes after a few minutes in. There are twice as many doors than there were in MW2019 and now every window has shutters. It makes the otherwise OK map pool terrible. Theres a few throwback maps from WaW, BO4, and MW3.

The pacing modes (read: lobby player counts) make 6v6 only games impossible now as you'll randomly get 6v 8v and 10v matches in the lowest pacing mode setting. All other pacing modes make any map feel like shipment. The spawns on any map that has player counts higher than 6v are dogshit and unpredictable.

The attachment system is overkill. Guns can have 10 attachments which will make balancing impossible. SMGs and ARs now have bloom applied to ADS, and a new accuracy stat affected by attachments control how much is applied. It's not as bad as BF games, but its still very noticable when trying to map someone when using an SMG. With that said, the overwhelming possiblities makes any weapon viable short of the god tier meta loadouts that everyone will be using two weeks from now. Current sweat meta is the MP40, STG, or Automaton.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

pretty sure the current meta is largely dictated by average ranks + how long it takes to unlock things in this one, since all of those guns are very good but also are pretty much the earliest unlocks

there are a number of guns with access to equivalent or mathematically superior TTKs with the right ammunition (iirc the Volk, AS44, BAR. and all of the other SMGs), it's just that if you need to be in the mid 40's to access a gun and then grind 50 levels of that gun in particular to make it competitive it's going to take a long while for it to become meta even if it's marginally superior

and of course the possibility remains that those guns will remain superior in practice due to handling, or a particular combination - i.e. the StG gets the Vital proficiency (gives headshot damage to an area of the upper torso, usually only available on marksment/sniper rifles though the itra burst and type 100 also have it), and while (due to how the numbers work out) that mostly just makes 8mm Kurz competitive with Russian Short when aiming center-mass, it might be busted when used in combination with the Krausnick 620MM precision barrel to juice the vital damage (+ probably Russian short to keep damage from non-vital hits high/retain 4 shot non-vital kill potential), though my real world results were mixed (basically trading the consistent low ttk of Russian Short alone for a more inconsistent experience where you sometimes insta-burst people and sometimes feel like you're running very slightly worse base StG ammo), which might be more attributable to how tired I was by the time I got everything unlocked than the combination itself (and regardless that particular combo is not why you see StG's so prominently)

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

my favorite marksman rifle so far is one of the sniper rifles with a normal sight on it

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I’ve been looking for a simple answer but is pacing on the maps simply an automatic thing like a congestion pricing situation where when lots of people are around they pack the server?

Oh I’m stupid. I figured it out.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 6, 2021

tjones
May 13, 2005
You're not the first person to be confused by it, and it's not explained well.

In the mode filter list you can select which pacing you prefer. This doesn't guarantee you'll always get queued into those games, but it prioritizes your selection above the others.

The player count of the games are based on the pacing, but also map specific. Some maps are 6v6, others 8v8, and some 10v10 for the lowest player count pacing.

Overall it's a horrible system and was a mistake to add to the game.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

tjones posted:

You're not the first person to be confused by it, and it's not explained well.

In the mode filter list you can select which pacing you prefer. This doesn't guarantee you'll always get queued into those games, but it prioritizes your selection above the others.

The player count of the games are based on the pacing, but also map specific. Some maps are 6v6, others 8v8, and some 10v10 for the lowest player count pacing.

Overall it's a horrible system and was a mistake to add to the game.

Personally I love it because I like having some higher player counts to just get pure chaos going, but to each their own.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I think in concept it’s good.

If it was just Tactical aka normal and then ASSAULT which would map up volume of players in the lobby fine. But the fact that picking one doesn’t guarantee/hard lock a style is stupid.

Like, I do legit like the idea of being able to just do a Team Death Match on a map but it has 28 guys so I could just grind a gun. But if you can’t hard opt out it’s a bad system. And I didn’t even notice a toggle playing last night.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I realize expecting something more than spectacle out of CoD campaign is futile, but lmao the writers very clearly wrote this script the night before it was due after mainlining bad war movies all day.

tjones
May 13, 2005
There has always been an option of playing in higher count lobbies for every COD release that I can remember starting with COD4. It was always a seperate groundwar playlist. Forcing people who don't want to play high count lobbies into games with more than 12 players is a lovely design.

The majority of maps I've played play the best with 4v4. 6v6 is doable, and works well most of the times. It just means you're keeping track of two more enemy deaths/spawns and you have a higher chance at running into more guys watching flanks, or if you're losing, spawn trapping you.

Anything more than 6 players per side means you can't effectively anchor spawns, and with the horrible squad spawn system that was introduced with MW2019, it makes the spawns inconsistent. Even playing with the low pacing mode, I routinely run into situations where I'm spawning in right in front of or behind an enemy player.

That's all in good if you're looking for a few quick rounds of shipment. It's poo poo game design and can be infuriating when you're wanting to win a close game of hardpoint.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

spawns are always rear end the first few weeks, story old as cod

combat pacing owns extremely

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

this game owns, best cod in like a decade.

imo. this is my personal opinion. idgaf about yours. but imo, this is the best in a literal decade

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ASenileAnimal posted:

just got the svt40 and drat thats alot of recoil. im on kbm so i dunno how bad it is on controller but its tough to control and keep on target with how fast everyone moves

huh, speaking of the SVT I just had my entire team get dumpstered by someone using one - looks like they were using the 800mm barel and maybe the vital proficiency (not sure how/if they stack), with no stock and were just running around OHKing people to the torso at all distances

grinding it out on HC now

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LGD posted:

just running around OHKing people to the torso at all distances

Lol CoD 2's Kar98 is back

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

there's an ace video on it (and probably some reddit threads bitching about it), but bloom is in the game to a significant degree - ie, your first shot may not be 100% accurate at range, depending on the gun

the "accuracy" stat counteracts this, so you can tighten the error angle with attachments

the subs other than the Owen and Type 100 and some of the ARs (lol as44) have it to a noticable level at a distance

I leave determining the correct amount of accuracy needed on a per gun basis as an exercise for the reader and youtubers, but just something to be aware of once you have your guns leveled and the attachments available

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Realizing I haven't played COD on Xbox since the halcyon days of Infinite Warfare, but I've switched back from Playstation now that they've fully embraced crossplay. I'm Jack5434 on Xbox and Activision if anyone's looking for games.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Mister Facetious posted:

Call of Duty 3 had you play as Canada and Poland, and it was the most boring campaign ever.

to be fair, call of duty 3 is boring the whole way through

that's part of the issue though, it's 1) a poorly paced campaign set 2) on D-Day, in france, again. i may just be inspired from listening to mark felton too much, but there's a lot of other lesser known battles that were fought that i think would be interesting to experience, like the liberation of Manilla, Operation Nordwind, the various actions of the Italian Co-belligerent Army or the brief combats between the Japanese and the Italians after Mussolini was killed, the Battle of France, the initial stages of Operation Barbarossa where the Soviets were on the retreat (lots of potential for heroic player last stands there), the New Guinea campaign... there's a whole bunch of either unused or underused history there that's ripe for picking

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Activision should just showcase lesser-known wars of American imperialism, like the Perry Expedition, Panama, Grenada, Angola, Cuba, etc

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Lol CoD 2's Kar98 is back

yeah I haven't even gotten the vital proficiency, and I'm fairly convinced the SVT is actually extremely good once you get going - the 800mm barrel makes even the .303 british do 100+ vital damage, and using it with either that (or better yet the Sakura) makes it controllable and significantly higher ROF than it otherwise would have (though less than default), so basically just play HC until you hit 18 for the barrel and it'll get progressively better and better

LGD fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 7, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mosin with iron sights and all the ADS speed attachments rules. Seems to be a one hit kill to basically anywhere on the body out to an absurd range.

I'm wondering though: Do we know if daily challenges are coming back? I enjoyed doing them in MW and CW.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 7, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Activision should just showcase lesser-known wars of American imperialism, like the Perry Expedition, Panama, Grenada, Angola, Cuba, etc

Waiting with baited breath for Call of Duty: Emu War...

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

this isn't a joke btw, it gives you a ridiculous lock on radius and you can get absurd chain kills, and you can still have your primary out, if anything it might be stronger than commando pro

just had a 26 melee kill match

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How has your guys lobby experiences been this weekend? Lots of sweats ?

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Joining the chorus of game is actually good.

MP40 or the Combat Shotgun :getin:

Also reminder of my GT: S1Nx81

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

fit em all up in there posted:

How has your guys lobby experiences been this weekend? Lots of sweats ?

so far ive been getting a few sliding ninja jumping smg dudes in my games but i havent run into anything too bad. also i feel like blitz pacing helps just from the huge number of people in the game making it tough to consistantly pop off.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

Waiting with baited breath for Call of Duty: Emu War...

I would pay for a cod game that had the Australian-American War that's been a running joke on the radio in the Grand Theft Auto series

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

ive been getting a bit better with the svt40 and it doesnt happen often but damm it feels good to straight up delete 3 dudes rushing at you with smgs

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Are reticle challenges not tracking for anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are reticle challenges not tracking for anyone else?

Yup, looks like they're bugged.