Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

never forget that we almost got scheme as netscape's client side web programming language instead of javascript

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

for pretty large values of “almost”, I guess

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

we were more likely to get Tcl than Scheme

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I thought lua was supposed to be the browser scripting language at some point.

mystes
May 31, 2006

No that was vbscript

-shagger, probably

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Python is the best web language. :colbert:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lua is p. good tbh, especially when embedding it in other programs.

i've used it in some embedded systems where we implemented some nice green threads in the host system made it easy to deploy a bunch of services that could work with almost no resources. the language itself has some weird behavior but its fast and simple.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
lua has slightly fewer objectively bad decisions than javascript but it's a very similar language and nothing would be any different if we got lua in the browser instead of js (if you pretend that we had lua 5.0 in 1995 instead of 2.1, which was still a few years away from getting anonymous functions and closures)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i deal with complex lua software and it is quite unpleasant

for the love of god, never implement your own userland dns client in lua

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DoomTrainPhD posted:

until you have to deal with things like it’s packaging manager

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

with cgi you can use any language you want

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

with cgi you can use any language you want

finally the time is for R web apps to shine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

userland dns client in lua

why would someone do this?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

infernal machines posted:

imagine that, within an environment running an embedded lua interpreter, you want to resolve using both regular old DNS, but also want to implement essentially an internal resolver allowing you to manually define records for hosts. furthermore, you need to work around a weird quirk where your platform ignores /etc/hosts for some reason.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i don't want to imagine that at all.

but also lol @ ignoring the hosts file

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

imagine that, within an environment running an embedded lua interpreter, you want to resolve using both regular old DNS, but also want to implement essentially an internal resolver allowing you to manually define records for hosts. furthermore, you need to work around a weird quirk where your platform ignores /etc/hosts for some reason.

you can’t make me to

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“homebrew lua DNS interpreter” is some poo poo you push to production on the last day of your two week notice

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

“homebrew lua DNS interpreter” is some poo poo you push to production on the last day of your two week notice

actually laughing out loudly, quite so at that

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

actually laughing out loudly, quite so at that

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hm the idea of two weeks notice is strange for me.. in norway it's normal with 3 months notice if you've worked a place for over a year

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tankakern posted:

hm the idea of two weeks notice is strange for me.. in norway it's normal with 3 months notice if you've worked a place for over a year
Do they also have to give you 3 months notice before laying you off in Norway? Because if so lol that wouldn't fly in the us.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

finally the time is for R web apps to shine

i mean, i was just using a shiny app put together by a student, it worked pretty well

or is
:thejoke: idk

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lysidas posted:

i mean, i was just using a shiny app put together by a student, it worked pretty well

or is

:thejoke: idk

unintentional reference collision. in fact, unfortunately, ive written shiny apps professionally, so this was more of a brain fart about making it actually cursed. for all its rights and wrongs, shiny does some things quite well

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DoomTrainPhD posted:

load bearing spaces just lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mystes posted:

Do they also have to give you 3 months notice before laying you off in Norway? Because if so lol that wouldn't fly in the us.

that’s how it normally works in europe, notice periods are symmetrical unless you like stab your coworker during office hours. id say that 1 month is more common than 3 weeks, taking continental europe on the whole, but it’s not uncommon, for senior positions in particular, to have 3-6 months long notice period

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

but also lol @ ignoring the hosts file
if something ignores the host file, it's probably also ignoring gethostbyname(3) and resolver(3), and should probably be just be throw into /dev/null as quickly as possible since it's likely filled with secfucs waiting to happen

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

there's a lot of weirdos out there

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
🦆✋: figuring out nsswitch.conf

🦆👉: writing your own resolver in lua

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ulf posted:

arcane config files, who needs them

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ulf posted:

After figuring out nsswitch.conf a couple times i feel like the homebrew interprer is the way to go

Less cruel to the people who come after you and have to figure out what you did

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol at writing a lua dns resolver because your platform ignores hosts file, and then hard coding addresses instead of just parsing hosts file

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that’s how it normally works in europe, notice periods are symmetrical unless you like stab your coworker during office hours. id say that 1 month is more common than 3 weeks, taking continental europe on the whole, but it’s not uncommon, for senior positions in particular, to have 3-6 months long notice period

In the US "senior" or executive positions will also normally have contracts, buy-outs, parachutes, etc etc. But the number of those positions compared to the normal peasants that can and will be fired with no-notice is probably like 1:50 or so.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

load bearing spaces just lmao

makefiles lol

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

lol at writing a lua dns resolver because your platform ignores hosts file, and then hard coding addresses instead of just parsing hosts file

code:
local file = io.open("/etc/hosts")
local db= { }

if file then
    for line in file:lines() do
        local address, name= unpack(line:split(" "))
        db[name] = { address }
    end
end

http_request.new_from_uri(db["myname"] .. "/my/path"):go()
lmao

Methanar fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 7, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

In the US "senior" or executive positions will also normally have contracts, buy-outs, parachutes, etc etc. But the number of those positions compared to the normal peasants that can and will be fired with no-notice is probably like 1:50 or so.

yeah that’s radically different here, ive seen junior positions with 3 months notice, and anything with less than 1 month notice is explicitly illegal. the only cases where notice is permitted to be shorter are 1) crime on job/breaking the contract 2) doing work drunk 3) you’re still on your probation, which lasts 3 months here and allows either side to sever relationship unilaterally with 2 days notice and no reason

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if Management is wrong on all 3? Lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

yeah I'm on 3 months, it's raised to that automatically past a certain level with the theory being that you'd need time to hand over what you know to your replacement (lol as if that exist)

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ReTarTed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what

Adbot