Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raya and the Last Dragon has some awful morality and I cannot believe this made it through any form of review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barudak posted:

Raya and the Last Dragon has some awful morality and I cannot believe this made it through any form of review

The message is super messy. Like, it’s clear they want ‘learn to trust people’ but they repeatedly have someone backstab someone else the moment they do trust. Maybe they’re just going for the scorpion and the frog/turtle fable?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Raya has tons of problems but I'm not sure where you're getting that. The message is pretty clearly that somebody has to be willing to break the cycle of violence and mistrust for peace to ever be possible, and it probably isn't going to immediately work out, but it's still the correct thing to do. Obviously you could make a more pessimistic movie where the protagonist gets no reward for her efforts and the world just keeps sucking and she dies permanently, but I appreciate the optimism given it's a kids' movie.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Thanks for the nice things you said about my cartoon guys :3:
By the way if anyone wants to be interviewed in a future episode, PM me.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Sir Lemming posted:

Raya has tons of problems but I'm not sure where you're getting that. The message is pretty clearly that somebody has to be willing to break the cycle of violence and mistrust for peace to ever be possible, and it probably isn't going to immediately work out, but it's still the correct thing to do. Obviously you could make a more pessimistic movie where the protagonist gets no reward for her efforts and the world just keeps sucking and she dies permanently, but I appreciate the optimism given it's a kids' movie.

The problem for me stems from the fact that Raya was totally within her rights to attack Namaari when she had the crossbow aimed at Sisu. Sisu says she’s got this, but the camera very distinctly shows a close up of her finger tightening on the trigger. In the temple, Namaari tries to say that Raya is as much to blame for this as her, but it’s bullshit, but the narrative expects us to believe that this is right and true. Plus, “Sisu believed me”? Big whoop. She’s wrong in the movie a few times too! She nearly gets killed at the Purple town (I can not remember what they were called but luckily the entire city has people wearing the national colors) because she trusted that old lady.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the moral of the story is that bad things happen when you trust other people
it's a good lesson imo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Barudak posted:

Everyone was busy dunking on "My ignorance of eastern media makes me think AtLA pioneered this story!"

But yeah, literally zero reason to trust that things would work out. I mean, girl was halfway out the cave there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Raya did have some pretty great fight scenes for a kids animated film though!

The two lead stuntwomen from that are often on the Corridor Digital “stuntman reacts” segments and I think they went over it but I don’t know what episode(s).

My girls were really big into sword fighting each other for a bit after that, for better or worse..

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The problem for me stems from the fact that Raya was totally within her rights to attack Namaari when she had the crossbow aimed at Sisu. Sisu says she’s got this, but the camera very distinctly shows a close up of her finger tightening on the trigger. In the temple, Namaari tries to say that Raya is as much to blame for this as her, but it’s bullshit, but the narrative expects us to believe that this is right and true. Plus, “Sisu believed me”? Big whoop. She’s wrong in the movie a few times too! She nearly gets killed at the Purple town (I can not remember what they were called but luckily the entire city has people wearing the national colors) because she trusted that old lady.

If the film wants us to believe that working with other people is the right thing to do, it should, at some point, be the right thing to do. It makes the whole thing come across as the exact same sort of abuse in dysfunctional relationships where the people mistreated are supposed to "be better" than the people mistreating them without the offender ever having to do anything to earn that. The morality of "suck it up and let people who repeatedly hurt you have the last, most precious things to you because they want it more" is appalling and unacceptable.

Edit: I think the most infuriating thing is multiple times the film accidentally demonstrates that if Raya's people had simply expected everyone else to be shitheads and prepared accordingly, they'd have been fine since the film is a-ok with showing you people submit to those who have power over them not out of any sense of positive emotional relationship.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 8, 2021

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Was Peanuts the movie any kind of hit? I'm watching it and i can't imagine it really appealing to kids with all this boomer stuff in it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hedrigall posted:

Was Peanuts the movie any kind of hit? I'm watching it and i can't imagine it really appealing to kids with all this boomer stuff in it

?!?!?!?!?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

I thought it was a genuinely sweet little movie that was both a nice celebration of the strip and a decent film on it's own terms. :shrug:

But to answer your question it brought in around $300,000,000 worldwide and only cost about $100,000,000 so It would seem to have been a pretty solid success.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
How did a Peanuts movie cost 100 million dollars to make

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The United States posted:

It had a pretty unique and interesting art style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQpUQPrAfQM.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Pixar movies usually cost almost double that. Animation is expensive as gently caress.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
There's wonderful irony in that the beautiful multimillion dollar recreation of Schultz's work will never have the same appeal as his comics or the cheap-o specials.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Damnit I just remembered how badly I want a Peanuts movie that takes place in the early version of the strip. The *really* early stuff where Patty and Shermy were the only side characters, Snoopy is an actual dog, and CB isn't a complete sad sack (but IS kind of a dick).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah I was thinking of the old traditionally animated specials there, which absolutely did not cost anywhere near 100 million.

I'm not sure why a Pixar-quality adaptation of Peanuts was necessary, but I guess it still made money, and it looks kinda neat if weird. It feels unnecessary though, like a big budget pixar adaptation of a heathcliff comic

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

a big budget pixar adaptation of a heathcliff comic

Make it happen, Hollywood

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

no but for real what boomer stuff are you referring to

Macaluso posted:

?!?!?!?!?

strong agree

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The pervasive idea that "traditional animation is too expensive and that's why it they do CG now" is a mystery to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

readingatwork posted:

Damnit I just remembered how badly I want a Peanuts movie that takes place in the early version of the strip. The *really* early stuff where Patty and Shermy were the only side characters, Snoopy is an actual dog, and CB isn't a complete sad sack (but IS kind of a dick).

Early Charlie Brown seems like the jumping off point for Calvin.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

practically it probably cost about a half to a third of that to actually produce and the remainder went all into marketing

They advertised the gently caress out of the Peanuts movie. I didn't even watch TV when it was coming out and I'm sure I saw near daily ads for it still, somehow. I think they also had a promotional toy tie in with one of the major fast food chains, though I don't remember which.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

To be fair, Snoopy at least never "talked" in any of the cartoons (including the movie I believe) though his personality and mannerisms were still taken from the later years of the comic.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Ccs posted:

gently caress that Arcane show on Netflix is the most incredible thing I’ve ever seen. I thought some episodes of What If looked really good, in particular the Doctor Strange episode, but Arcane makes it look like a joke. The average shot quality is even better than the amazing cinematics that Fortiche has done for Riot before. It is the kind of platonic ideal of how fantasy series could be realized better than any live action attempt through animation.

I just finished watching the first three episodes, and I can't think of anything that is animated as well as this. All the characters have such believable weight, the sets are colourful and intricate, the voice acting is great and the violence hits like a freight train. The story is nothing special but is pretty solid so far, and doesn't seem too pandering or anachronistic either. Definitely a must watch for any animation fan.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If you told me any game studio would spin from cutscenes to animation, I'd have guessed Square-Enix, Blizzard, or Valve's TF2 team. I did not expect Riot of all people to be snatching up that crown.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Das Boo posted:

The pervasive idea that "traditional animation is too expensive and that's why it they do CG now" is a mystery to me.

Animators don't exist anymore, they just do it all on computers!!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Bee posted:

If you told me any game studio would spin from cutscenes to animation, I'd have guessed Square-Enix, Blizzard, or Valve's TF2 team. I did not expect Riot of all people to be snatching up that crown.

Square-Enix has tried several times but none of it has looked anywhere near as good as Arcane.

An ongoing TF2 series from Valve seemed like a really obvious game thing to me at one point but I can’t really see them being interested in that anymore. Didn’t Valve have a DOTA series in the works anyway?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

starkebn posted:

I just finished watching the first three episodes, and I can't think of anything that is animated as well as this. All the characters have such believable weight, the sets are colourful and intricate, the voice acting is great and the violence hits like a freight train. The story is nothing special but is pretty solid so far, and doesn't seem too pandering or anachronistic either. Definitely a must watch for any animation fan.

Is it worth watching if you know nothing of the property?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vandar posted:

Square-Enix has tried several times but none of it has looked anywhere near as good as Arcane.
Squee chases photo realistic Anime. Spirits Within, Advent Children, (ugh, barf, Kingsglaive), and FF7R were decent.

I think Spiderverse/Mitchell's vs the Machines/Klaus showed a lot of people that CGI can be different and chase other artistic goals.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Darth TNT posted:

Is it worth watching if you know nothing of the property?

I know nothing of the property, and yes

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Vandar posted:

An ongoing TF2 series from Valve seemed like a really obvious game thing to me at one point but I can’t really see them being interested in that anymore. Didn’t Valve have a DOTA series in the works anyway?

I think Valve played around with the idea by doing a longer Team Fortress 2 short to test the waters. I think it was probably meant to be a pilot for a series, but it was an awful and unfunny sitcom episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSTz-A47da8

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think Valve played around with the idea by doing a longer Team Fortress 2 short to test the waters. I think it was probably meant to be a pilot for a series, but it was an awful and unfunny sitcom episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSTz-A47da8

Counterpoint: it was great, every line from the Soldier is pure gold.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Counterpoint: it was great, every line from the Soldier is pure gold.

Yeah, I thought it was fantastic.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Bee posted:

I've seen a handful of Riot's cinematics out of context and they were pretty cool as like generic fantasy poo poo. The music videos they made for K/DA are super impressive though, love those.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I'm not sure why a Pixar-quality adaptation of Peanuts was necessary, but I guess it still made money, and it looks kinda neat if weird. It feels unnecessary though, like a big budget pixar adaptation of a heathcliff comic

I'm really confused by this. The Peanuts movie to me felt really genuine and the fact that they managed to nail the look of the hand drawn Peanuts but in 3D was amazing. I mean right down to getting a time machine to go back and get the original voice actors for the movie, cause I refuse to believe they didn't do that for Linus especially. I thought it was a sweet lovely little Peanuts movie where nothing about it to me felt like it wasn't in the spirit of Peanuts. About the closest I guess that issue might come up is two of the modern songs they used, and I think both were used very well and fit right in.

It wasn't like an amazing mind blowing movie, but I really liked it

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Early Charlie Brown seems like the jumping off point for Calvin.

I wouldn't be shocked if you told me that Watterson took a lot of inspiration from Schulz. For example Schulz liked to do snowman comics that feel very similar Calvin's (albeit more wholesome).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah I'm just confused as hell by the reactions, it really is a charming slice-of-life movie that has the classic feel without it feeling like it's stuck in the past.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

readingatwork posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if you told me that Watterson took a lot of inspiration from Schulz. For example Schulz liked to do snowman comics that feel very similar Calvin's (albeit more wholesome).

That's a good call, Watterson's not shy about citing Peanuts as a main influence. I think he even wrote the foreword of the Schulz biography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pokeyman posted:

That's a good call, Watterson's not shy about citing Peanuts as a main influence. I think he even wrote the foreword of the Schulz biography.

And vice versa, at least Schulz wrote a testimonial in one of the C&H collections. It was kind of weird actually, Schulz went on and on about Watterson's technical excellence, like "he draws really great water splashes and dinosaurs and I love Calvin's little shoes that look like dinner rolls", but nothing about the actual writing or concept

e: found it

linked under "gross charles m schulz meme" lol wtf https://me.me/i/bill-waterson-draws-wonderful-bedside-tables-i-admire-that-he-20314692

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 8, 2021