Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

jodo dune would have sucked, the book and the stories of its failure are the only things of significance about it

I'd guess 99% of people who jerk off over how awesome it would have been have never even attempted to actually watch a jodorowsky movie

it literally could not have been made, because jodorowsky is a crazy person and his plans would have just kept getting wilder and wilder. it's one thing to shove him out in the desert somewhere with $50 and a camera and see what he comes up with, it's another to give him an actual budget and resources and access to talent and expect a result.

as you said, the book and the stories are the best thing about it and that's what's interesting to post about.

you want a loving weird dune movie that had all the commercial success you could expect? lynch made it.

Chris Knight posted:

nah I'm sure it would have been a total cluster gently caress, I was just happy we got the documentary and could get his sheer excitement on film.

the documentary was good because you see him as completely unrepentant. he has never stopped believing in his vision for the film, which had nothing at all to do with dune or anything else, but was some loving wild rear end bullshit nevertheless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Lynch was also substantially hamstrung by the people who controlled the purse strings. Which would have happened for Jodorowsky, too.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
imagine those foss drawings etc done with pre ILM models, lovely motion control etc. it would have been bad.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jodorowsky can go kick rocks

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the documentary was a great movie

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bhodi posted:

the documentary was a great movie

yes. i think it's a similar situation to apocalypse now, where the movie is famous and all but nobody really enjoys watching it, but hearts of darkness is great

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

yes. i think it's a similar situation to apocalypse now, where the movie is famous and all but nobody really enjoys watching it, but hearts of darkness is great

in fact i love both of them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no you don't. nobody actually likes apocalypse now. it's one of those movies you're supposed to like because it's ~great~, but it isn't fun.

people like marvel movies. and dune

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

no you don't. nobody actually likes apocalypse now. it's one of those movies you're supposed to like because it's ~great~, but it isn't fun.

sargebush,

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I haven't seen Apocalypse Now recently, but I'm pretty sure I'd still enjoy watching it today.

It's not a forgettable bombastic summer blockbuster, no.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it teaches young people valuable lessons such as: Never get off the boat and that a sauciere specializes in sauces.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Watched Dunc this weekend. Only previous exposure was watching Jodorowsky’s Dune.

I liked it. Will probably get a rewatch over the next month. Looking forward to the next one.

But right now I’m in a sand mood so I’m going to watch Fury Road.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

jodo dune would have sucked, the book and the stories of its failure are the only things of significance about it

I'd guess 99% of people who jerk off over how awesome it would have been have never even attempted to actually watch a jodorowsky movie

i would still have watched it and enjoyed it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

people like marvel movies. and dune

a lot of people like movies that aren’t “fun”

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm gonna watch it again and enjoy it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

like idk, i genuinely liked that terry pratchett documentary about assisted suicide but it sure isn’t “fun”

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

speaking of fun movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkVWuP_sO0

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I posted about enjoying Blake Crouch's RECURSION awhile back, it has a big written-for-Hollywood energy but is still a lot of fun; a quid the next 24h

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recursion-Bestselling-Author-Exciting-Thriller-ebook/dp/B07LCSPGTN/

may / may not be on offer in other countries

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
just came across this short lovecraftian film starring 'rowdy' roddy piper and it's pretty dang fun for being 10 minutes, please enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqdD8xKmkNk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

one time i when was staying w my cousin we went to blockbuster to get movies & i was like "oh hey the apocalypse now redux is out!" and he reminded me his wife is vietnamese and she came over when saigon fell

:whitewater:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I posted about enjoying Blake Crouch's RECURSION awhile back, it has a big written-for-Hollywood energy but is still a lot of fun; a quid the next 24h

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recursion-Bestselling-Author-Exciting-Thriller-ebook/dp/B07LCSPGTN/

may / may not be on offer in other countries

yeah i liked this too

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/eviIbag/status/1457740942698553346?t=zOsw1n_FMjIBihj2frxQHQ&s=19

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

the greatest philosopher of our age

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/ursulav/status/1453547237259235331

/Sardukar troops descend into battle behind Atreidies lines on suspensor harnesses

Atreidies Guardsman: They fly now!?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

boo bring back vladimir the insult comedy barron villeneuve

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 10, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jesus now i'm imagining dune as-written by joss whedon and i'm low-key angry. that's so dumb. stop imagining the thing that doesn't exist and makes you angry, achmed!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
PAUL leaves the room after removing his hand from the box

PAUL stares directly at camera.

PAUL: So, THAT happened.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DUKE LETO lies naked and paralysed, as THE BARON hovers before him, gloating

LETO: Baron, it's time for the Tooth, the whole Tooth and nothing but the Tooth!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, that's me fleeing the sardukar. you may be asking yourself "how did you get in this situation?" well, funny story

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

DUKE LETO: if you choose differently, you will still be the only thing i ever needed you to be... my son.

PAUL ATREIDES: ok. bring it in. i'm not afraid to hug

e: actually a more joss whedon response would be "does this call for a hug? i think this calls for a hug"

Truman Peyote fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 10, 2021

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

jesus now i'm imagining dune as-written by joss whedon and i'm low-key angry. that's so dumb. stop imagining the thing that doesn't exist and makes you angry, achmed!
https://twitter.com/GoodingTuba/status/1452385889955586055

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bene gesserit lady: i hold at your neck the gom jabbar

chris pratt as paul: hey i went to high school with that guy!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Again with the sand! What is WITH all this sand??

edit: now there's worms in the sand?!? Oy vey, this fakakta planet, you gotta be kidding me with this!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

*paul sees spider gimp* i gotta get me one of those!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
there's worms now? what the actual gently caress!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

I'm imagining if the studio brought him to recut the movie like with justice league and the mere thought is making me laugh.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

Again with the sand! What is WITH all this sand??

edit: now there's worms in the sand?!? Oy vey, this fakakta planet, you gotta be kidding me with this!
they got spice there jerry! spice! melange, the stuff that gets us from *pop* to *pop* without moving!

spice? melange? whatever you wanna call it, I'm not convinced!

trust me jerry! my old geologist pal liet sacamano has got an in with the fremen. we can't lose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
this spice... is making me prescient!