Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I still think a good way to reduce ranged supremacy is just to drop off their damage depending on range. point blank could be even stronger than how it is now - encouraging and rewarding ranged play to stay close to melee units instead of kiting far away ought to be something everyone would like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lawdog69 posted:

Maybe he used to be more problematic but honestly he seems like a decent fellow to me in his recent stuff, he doesn’t come off as an AUS CHUD/Nazi at all.

https://old.reddit.com/r/LegendofTotalWar/comments/ilqt8g/volound/g47o9uc/
https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/ijfqzq/legendoftotalwar_raises_over_30k_for_charity/g3ioh0r/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Does spell resistance help against debuff type things? Khorne could be an absolute bastard with a ton of ultra-heavy units tanking spells. Will certainly require a slightly different approach than some factions.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Scott Forstall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCJAL0oX0ZY

It's a bit long, but this is one of my all-time favorites. Its amazing what people send him.

I'm only a minute in and I'm laughing and the immortal hero trolling.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DINO WORLD

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I still think a good way to reduce ranged supremacy is just to drop off their damage depending on range. point blank could be even stronger than how it is now - encouraging and rewarding ranged play to stay close to melee units instead of kiting far away ought to be something everyone would like.

Yes. That would help a lot. Would also be a passive buff to skirmishers.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Does spell resistance help against debuff type things? Khorne could be an absolute bastard with a ton of ultra-heavy units tanking spells. Will certainly require a slightly different approach than some factions.
Supposedly yes.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can't believe they are doing even more Skaven DLC

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pants, it's pants, we wear pants.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
there is already rat pantsu, she was an flc even

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I think my favourite Legend video is when he used a Gotrek spawn bug to play a game using about 30-40 Gotreks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I think my favourite Legend video is when he used a Gotrek spawn bug to play a game using about 30-40 Gotreks.

Did he get just as many Felixs.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

MonsterEnvy posted:

Did he get just as many Felixs.

Weirdly, no. You get one Felix but every instance of new Gotrek gives you an extra 20 turns on the time limit for him so all his Gotreks (and his one Felix) were going to stick around for hundreds of turns.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Lot of roster vids going around and Zerk has (imo) the best looks. Just raw info.

Khorne looks better then I assumed from "all melee" faction. Like a raw brute force Total War fundamentals faction. Pull off a hammer and anvil? Your anvil is unbreakable and your anvil is catastrophically powerful cavalary that makes Grail Knights blush. They also have fast dogs, chariots and even an artillery/chariot piece. A lot of Khorne heavies are physical resist 20% and 100+ armor, a few have shields. This may not be a "kite and ranged superiority lol" faction. Some units have terrible MD and are countered by elite melee because if you try to tie up skullcannons with chaff they eat it and regenerate health/ammo then yeet out with chariot speed and mass. Not to mention how many Khorne units get a damage steroid in the same situation after about 80 kills. They've got juuuust enough mobility and limited range to do more then chase the enemy impotently, though I'm sure heavy ranged set ups can force Khorne to advance. Of course heavy ranged set ups mean a lot less money on the front and like current Warriors of Chaos sometimes they'll just endure the poo poo and kill you anyway.

With their absurd damage values if applied properly and extreme defenses if engaged poorly as well as getting damage steroids after raw kills Khorne seems to be a pretty high skill ceiling for picking engagements faction. Easier done then said vs the AI, sure, but a cool design overall and a great design for PvP.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They too will fall before the warp lightning cannon

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

if grimgor iz da best at krumpin' does that mean that khorne will bless him?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm sure Khorne has a Grimgor wallscroll in his bedroom

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Haha but like

Lol

But like what would that even look like haha

Lmao

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

jokes posted:

Haha but like

Lol

But like what would that even look like haha

Lmao

This

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m imagining Grimgor as that “I’m da prettiest” ork from that 40k comic “slut patrol” and it fits

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

jokes posted:

I’m imagining Grimgor as that “I’m da prettiest” ork from that 40k comic “slut patrol” and it fits

oh my god

https://funnyjunk.com/channel/warhammer40k/Cancelled+40k+comic+slut+patrol/zXRfLmK/

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
After the videos where Cathayan Alchemists and Astromancers show off their Last Airbender moves, I'm surprised they're actually pretty squishy in combat. Looks like Cathay won't have beefy melee guys at launch besides their legendary lords and maybe foot or horseback magistrates. None of the elixirs heal, so Miao Ying will be their only source of healing unless Astromancers and those compasses bring some surprises.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just send in one of those Terracotta Sentinels to tank damage while raining fire and magic down on the blobbed up enemy.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A new Cathay vs Tzeentch battle video, released earlier than usual. It doesn’t have anything new, but it shows off some of Tzeentch’s realm:
https://mobile.twitter.com/totalwar/status/1458434266635939845

One weird thing is that it says Zhao Ming employs lots of metal and fire wizards. The roster reveal and all gameplay footage only says that alchemists use the Lore of Metal.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Legend’s video on the major settlement siege is rough (for CA). He’s honest and specific in pointing out the failures of the AI, is never disrespectful to the devs. It’s kinda wild how many times the AI retreats from a conflict instead of engaging (and even in cases where anti-large infantry retreat from large enemy units), and the AI’s unit placement is downright silly.

“Rome 2 level AI”

which he still follows up to say Rome 2 improved a lot after launch, but woof.

https://youtu.be/mLUYJRchrEM

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 10, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tzeentch-land giving me some GW2 Mesmer vibes and I am into it

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Scott Forstall posted:

Legend’s video on the major settlement siege is rough (for CA). He’s honest and specific in pointing out the failures of the AI, is never disrespectful to the devs. It’s kinda wild how many times the AI retreats from a conflict instead of engaging (and even in cases where anti-large infantry retreat from large enemy units), and the AI’s unit placement is downright silly.

“Rome 2 level AI”

Ooph. Yeah, that's the sort of stuff I was afraid of with the siege rework. I know coding a decent AI is really damned hard, but this just doesn't look like it would be fun to fight against.
We'll see how it looks in gameplay closer to release, I guess. :shrug:

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Scott Forstall posted:

“Rome 2 level AI”

At least there's no boats in Warhammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTt9rMqpJP4

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dr Christmas posted:

A new Cathay vs Tzeentch battle video, released earlier than usual. It doesn’t have anything new, but it shows off some of Tzeentch’s realm:
https://mobile.twitter.com/totalwar/status/1458434266635939845

One weird thing is that it says Zhao Ming employs lots of metal and fire wizards. The roster reveal and all gameplay footage only says that alchemists use the Lore of Metal.

I love how Zhao is either talking to himself or recording a rap video as he strolls into battle

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scott Forstall posted:

“Rome 2 level AI”

Yep, that was my main concern.

Beautiful siege maps and poo poo AI that can't handle it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's still early on and that was normal AI. They could improve it for launch. (I also don't care too much if the AI makes mistakes.)

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I'm sure it won't rival the 19-javelin/slinger armies of Rome 2 launch

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't know, the siege maps look too big for the army sizes. With big map sizes I would've hoped they could do more than just fill them with murder alleys and chokes. Hopefully they have some other maps with more variety that they haven't shown off yet because it doesn't seem like sieges are improved.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I said before my main takeaway from the ogre vs cathay siege was that it looked a lot better, I would like it if the AI was more proactive about ceding ground so it isn't so easily caught on the back foot, but maneuvering to take roads and courtyards to cut off retreating enemy units before they can reform a line and dig in with entrenchments is a million times more interesting than current sieges from an attacker perspective.

If the AI responded to you having artillery superiority by drawing back into the city and putting its units behind buildings where you couldn't shell them and forcing you to come to them, that would fix a big issue I have with current sieges, where you can just chip away at them piece by piece. The barricades and supply points really help to fix that, I think, because the more time you waste on shelling the more the enemy can dig in, it necessitates that style with the ogres where you want to keep the battle momentum going and keep the enemy on the back foot. I might have issues with how easy it is to scatter the AI but I think that is something that will in part, be solved by campaign mechanics. Taking a heavily garrisoned or garrison+stack defended city is going to be harder because the defenders will have more units, quite possibly a lot more than you do, so I am not worried about low troop numbers either necessarily, that's somthing that is very easy to vary in campaign and those maps look like a good size for stack+garrison battles.

The game already has loads of maps that are open (all the maps...) and fighting within a city is already quite an improvement, the issue is more that there is almost no situation when you would do it in TW2 because the way to win a siege is to chip the enemy to death with artillery/magic or if you're defending, the walls just basically break their AI.

Just normal cities from every TW game is what I want, that's a good style of map, and I like that they've got ones without walls too for the minor settlements.

I'm not really sure what else I could want, to be honest? I suppose maybe a map or two with like, just a couple of buildings/elevation/dockable sections, maybe for encampment battles? But otherwise I can't really see what would improve the game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 10, 2021

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Scott Forstall posted:

“Rome 2 level AI”

yeah even the ogres vs cathay one it looked the like AI just does not know how to defend anything at all, like without really trying the guy playing got some units on the final point before the fights near the gates were even close to over with no reaction from the AI.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
More dockable spaces would be good. I'm reminded of Thorek's final quest battle which is perfectly set up for a defensive quarreler battery but if you have any direct fire units it is worthless. Being able to dock ranged units on those cliffs, or cliffs in general, would be nice.

(Though why would you bring guns as Thorek)

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's still early on and that was normal AI. They could improve it for launch. (I also don't care too much if the AI makes mistakes.)

To my knowledge there are no AI changes from difficulty level to difficulty level, just the "cheats" that give AI extra leadership and other stats. Nothing LOTW does to game the AI on Legendary would be changed if you move the battle difficulty

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

rideANDxORdie posted:

To my knowledge there are no AI changes from difficulty level to difficulty level, just the "cheats" that give AI extra leadership and other stats. Nothing LOTW does to game the AI on Legendary would be changed if you move the battle difficulty

That's true in TWW2, but Three Kingdoms does have actual AI changes at higher difficulties. For instance, harder difficulty AI won't fire at units with 100% block chance, removing the normal difficulty cheese where you station some spear guards in turtle formation just inside their range until they run out of ammo. So it's entirely possible their AI system has gotten to the point where TWW3 will have real AI differences based on difficulty

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
3k siege AI is actually pretty fun, not always “good”, but certainly better then a lot of games before. I’m 100% convinced it was due to very well designed maps that the AI can handle.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

A little late, but on the topic of good streamers to learn from, if you don't want cheese (which I love, all hail LTW), Turin is a best in class imo: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNDJiDFJWaiKktyUBmVzGYA

He primarily does MP, but when he does campaigns he uses all those micro learnings from MP and actually uses real tactics and strategy in his approach that you can heavily learn from. They just aren't his main focus and they are less "teaching" and more just watching him livestream, but my cav and skirmisher game improved immensely from watching his engagements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think it was Turin who did an LP of the original TW Warhammer here.