Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That Ark is in remarkably good shape considering how old it is and what it's been through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I do love that Sharlayan was essentially founded by FFXIV Noah*. Really excited to learn more about that place.

*Not the character named "Noah", though, he's the guy who was running the IVth Garlean legion.

E: wow I completely misrembered who Noah was lmao

Begemot fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 15, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
No you were right, there are two noahs, the allagan scientist currently in a body timeshare with an unfortunate catgirl, and the eternally offscreen ivalice/bozja antagonist noah van gabranth.

the allag-ivalice-garlemald connection probably means the latter was named after the former, either directly or in a distant culture-hero-name way, even as in a meta-sense we know he was named after ff12 gabranth

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 15, 2021

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

What makes Sephiroth interesting to me is that in a way he’s a deconstruction of the megalomaniacal villain trope; he gets his big call to villainy but then, before he can really get started, he gets unexpectedly killed by a total nobody. And sure, his alien mom keeps puppeting his reincarnated body around after that but it’s the trauma he left on Cloud that drives the emotional story beats. Cloud is what makes Sephiroth work.

Don't forget that Sephiroth spends the rest of the story (and Advent Children) being extremely Not Mad about Cloud killing him. Very, very, Not Mad, promise.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

Gearhead posted:

Then again, Forchenault may be deliberately doing EXACTLY what he hopes will invite a visit from the Minister of Enthusiastic Walks...

This is my bet too. That Forchenault has an idea of what's really going on and how bad things really are. But he can't openly invite the Scions in and request aid in cleaning house. So, if he goes to Gridania personally, makes this big deal about disowning the twins and leaves while the twins are still in shock about it, that's going to get the WoL's attention. (G'raha comments on how out of character this seems for Forchenault, iirc.)

Then later, when we show up and start busting heads, he can make his protests and do the 'I told them Sharlayan wanted no part of this, and they snuck in anyway!' and keep his hands clean to the rest of the Forum. He's Louisoix's son and Alphinaud's dad. He's an rear end in a top hat, but he's not stupid.

Edit: Going on in the 'The plans that we're so confident in as our backup have a much bigger chance of failure than we want to admit.' not going on outside sharlayan.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Twibbit posted:

Holding the Magitech Camera

Wait, is Krile holding a Thaumaturge Staff? Is she joining the trusts!

Krile is a conjurer, it's probably just a healer staff. The scions already have a black mage-y character, two if you count DPS G'raha, so if she becomes a Trust I could see it as a white mage-type.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Krile is a conjurer, it's probably just a healer staff. The scions already have a black mage-y character, two if you count DPS G'raha, so if she becomes a Trust I could see it as a white mage-type.

Do not want to level a 3rd healer in trusts.

Krile go tank.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Whatever Forchenault is trying, my bet is that it's going to explode spectacularly in his face. It's no accident that right before we meet him, Alphinaud is doing a careful self-assessment of why the Crystal Braves failed.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

SirPhoebos posted:

Whatever Forchenault is trying, my bet is that it's going to explode spectacularly in his face. It's no accident that right before we meet him, Alphinaud is doing a careful self-assessment of why the Crystal Braves failed.

It's quite possible that the writers are showing their work on Alphinaud's character development in advance of him having to confront his father on an ideological level.

This would be extremely transgressive in a Japanese story.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Mister Olympus posted:

the allagan scientist currently in a body timeshare with an unfortunate catgirl

Oh is that her deal

I never got enough goop for her to see that

e: oh nvm I just forgot the intro to that quest

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 15, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1460155621840326659?s=20

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
It really is quite clever, the design language they're going for here with Zenos. He's no longer wearing the powered armor because that's what Garleans used to bridge the gap in combat ability with those who use Magic. Now that Zenos has Magic of his own, he no longer needs the suit.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Late for it but I always liked the theory that Hydalyn does a sort of end-run around tempering. The message she has on broadcast for everyone who gets the echo is:
“Hear, Feel, Think.”

If that exposure is supposed to temper you, then what it commands you to do is… empathetically listen to others then make your own decisions.

And maybe that makes a difference if you were not predisposed to listening to people… but it does leave judgement up to the individual. So maybe the WoL is tempered, this “blessing of light,” but it explicitly allows us to follow our own judgements.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

zenos' scythe is tailor made to be sold on the mogstation next year for five dollars

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
who is this buttless boy

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The artificial bulk of the royal armor is gone, revealing the grim truth that deep down we knew all along: Zenos always had a narrow rear end

e^^ lol

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dwesa posted:

who is this buttless boy

The Void extracts a heavy price

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nah, we just haven't seen him from the back yet, there's still a chance for a delicious booty. He's gotta be at least Estinien class rear end and thigh, what with being a maiming job. No way he'd be able to wear all that maiming gear unless he has legs like a Dragoon to fill it out.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mister Olympus posted:

No you were right, there are two noahs, the allagan scientist currently in a body timeshare with an unfortunate catgirl, and the eternally offscreen ivalice/bozja antagonist noah van gabranth.

the allag-ivalice-garlemald connection probably means the latter was named after the former, either directly or in a distant culture-hero-name way, even as in a meta-sense we know he was named after ff12 gabranth

Ahhh okay. I looked up "FFXIV Noah" to make sure I was remembering correctly and it only gave me the Ivalice guy. The Allagan Noah is a reference to FFIII Noah, who the FFXII Noah is probably also a reference to. This is what happens when you try to make a love letter to a series that is already very self-referential, we're lucky we don't have four or five Cids running around.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Vitamean posted:

zenos' scythe is tailor made to be sold on the mogstation next year for five dollars

And I will get it to use as a trophy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vitamean posted:

Now you can "let this moment last forever", for $9.98!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Look, before we get that scythe I want his golf bag from Stormblood. Including drawing different swords for different attacks please.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dwesa posted:

who is this buttless boy

the term is assless chap

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

the term is assless chap

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

FAUXTON posted:

the term is assless chap

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

“If the final days were here, we would know it” leads me to believe they are hiding some knowledge about the ancients. Nobody outside the scions and Ascians should even know about what happened before the sundering.
There’s a pet theory out there that the Sharlayans have prophecy/predictions of the calamity and that Graha Tias Excellent Adventure hosed up the “proper” timeline.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

mightygerm posted:

“If the final days were here, we would know it” leads me to believe they are hiding some knowledge about the ancients. Nobody outside the scions and Ascians should even know about what happened before the sundering.
There’s a pet theory out there that the Sharlayans have prophecy/predictions of the calamity and that Graha Tias Excellent Adventure hosed up the “proper” timeline.

considering by all accounts sharlayan got hosed as hosed in the eighth umbral calamity as much as everyone else that seems unlikely to me

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

How global was the 7th Calamity? It seems like most of Bahamut's damage was to Eorzea, is that really enough chaos to absorb an entire alternate dimensional planet?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Given that the Sharlayans are building Labyrinthos, a massive underground vault to ride out the coming nuclear apocalypse while conducting social experiments on the populace survive the Final Days, they have to be pretty certain that the Final Days are coming soon. Like I don't think that's a project you start just because a soothsayer says the Final Days are coming. I'm guessing the Ascians promised to tell them exactly when the Final Days were going to hit in exchange for upholding their strict nonintervention policy.

Of course, they don't know that all the unsundered Ascians are dead and Fandanny isn't exactly keen on helping anyone.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aren't the Final Days happening supposed to be Fandaniel's doing now that the unsundered are gone, though?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kazy posted:

How global was the 7th Calamity? It seems like most of Bahamut's damage was to Eorzea, is that really enough chaos to absorb an entire alternate dimensional planet?

I imagine letting Bahamut get free was enough to get the aether mojo flowing, but the actual damage was limited thanks to Louisoix doing the Goku headbutt through Bahamut's torso.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kazy posted:

Louisoux shoved all the aether he gathered trying to summon The Twelve back into the star after he became Phoenix and beat up Bahamut. This is why everything was pretty ok after only five years instead of the thousands that Umbral eras normally last.

As far as the rejoining is concerned, the only thing that matters is the initial burst, the devastation is just the after affect of bursting one type of aether in massive quantities. Dalamud hitting Hydaelyn and unleashing Bahamut did make enough Dark aether to cause a rejoicing, it’s just that it was rebalanced with every other type pretty much instantly instead of after thousands of years.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It should be noted that the Seventh was an unaspected Calamity (because Bahamut) - it was Astral aligned, but as we now know Astral and Umbral and their relation to the elements is a matter of perspective more than anything

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Rosalind posted:

Given that the Sharlayans are building Labyrinthos, a massive underground vault to ride out the coming nuclear apocalypse while conducting social experiments on the populace survive the Final Days, they have to be pretty certain that the Final Days are coming soon. Like I don't think that's a project you start just because a soothsayer says the Final Days are coming. I'm guessing the Ascians promised to tell them exactly when the Final Days were going to hit in exchange for upholding their strict nonintervention policy.

Of course, they don't know that all the unsundered Ascians are dead and Fandanny isn't exactly keen on helping anyone.
It's also entirely possible that their Vault is "only" designed around surviving a Calamity, rather than the sun becoming as black as sackcloth, and the moon becoming as red as blood i.e. Old Sharlayan basically being one of the Ascians' little seed projects for the next cycle, and the Sharlayans haven't figured out that all bets are off now.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I wonder if maybe they know the next calamity is due now, but don't know that it's been cancelled and replaced by the Final Days.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It could just be arrogance on the Sharlayan's part.

Like, maybe they just can't imagine a scenario where something like the End Times is coming without them knowing about it first.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Ok, I started the game in the late summer and wrapped up the MSQ through Shadowbringers. I've not done much sidequest stuff beyond the Coils of Bahamut. The only major question I have with this game, the only plot thing which makes no sense to me comes from the end of ARR through early Heavensward.

Teledji plans to assassinate the sultana and frame the Scions. Lolorito catches on, prevents the assassination but still...frames the Scions for everything. Then later he just says "lol just kidding, we're cool." I don't understand what framing us then clearing your name does for him, other than maybe essentially forcing Raubahn's compliance since otherwise he'll put Raubahn away for murdering Teledji.

Lolorito does continue funding Ilberd's ambitions to stir up war in Ala Mhigo so maybe it's just about money, but this is the one part of the game where I feel the writing is...weak? Wishy-washy? or was there something in some side content I missed that goes more into Lolorito's thinking?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Skypie posted:

Ok, I started the game in the late summer and wrapped up the MSQ through Shadowbringers. I've not done much sidequest stuff beyond the Coils of Bahamut. The only major question I have with this game, the only plot thing which makes no sense to me comes from the end of ARR through early Heavensward.

Teledji plans to assassinate the sultana and frame the Scions. Lolorito catches on, prevents the assassination but still...frames the Scions for everything. Then later he just says "lol just kidding, we're cool." I don't understand what framing us then clearing your name does for him, other than maybe essentially forcing Raubahn's compliance since otherwise he'll put Raubahn away for murdering Teledji.

Lolorito does continue funding Ilberd's ambitions to stir up war in Ala Mhigo so maybe it's just about money, but this is the one part of the game where I feel the writing is...weak? Wishy-washy? or was there something in some side content I missed that goes more into Lolorito's thinking?

Basically Lolorito is scheming and desires money/power, but values the city's stability as a necessary part of that. The Sultana's abdication would have destabilized the city (specifically his power within it when the dust settled), but Teledji's attempt at a coup would have been just as bad if not worse. Lolorito foiled the assassination in a way that undermined the coup but also at least gave pause to Nanamo's abdication, giving him the leverage to "convince" her otherwise.

There is some lore back in 1.0 and reading between the lines that this isn't the first time Lolorito has been cleaning up Taledji's messes. If I remember right the 1.0 leader of one of the guilds was murdered during the ARR time skip due to such politics and Lolorito supported the guy's son.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Lolorito is an evil son of a bitch, but he's not wrong. Stepping in to blunt the whole thing, take advantage of the situation, and allowing Teledji to finally win a Darwin Award probably saved Eorzea from an infestation of entirely too many wide-eyed idealists in one place at one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rosalind posted:

The Final Days are, as far as we know, A) something Fandaniel is doing on his own that is fundamentally different than anything the Unsundered would have done or wanted and B) something Sharlayan claims is not happening at all. Fourchenalt says this second one in 5.55 that this talk of Final Days is nonsense. He could be lying but I think they just haven't gotten the full message of just how off the rails Fandaniel is planning to go.