Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still think Cyberpunk is a loving awesome game. Great writing, great characters, fun set pieces. It has issues and lots that could be better, true. But those things don’t take away my enjoyment of the game. All i ever wanted was Deus Ex meets Witcher 3, and I got that.

Also, Mankind Divided is loving awesome and while it sucks it’s only half a game, what is there is amazing. Not sure why we’d ever compare Prague with Night City though. Two completely different design goals in both and I don’t think one is “better” than the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Night City is better. It’s just empty.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

There's a ton of detail in that map, I think it's the best map in any game I've played in both atmosphere and design/layout. Performance is very impressive on PC for such a detailed environment.

Couple times encountered indoor spaces in random buildings that looked like they were set up for quests that never happened. You can enter through windows and there are random NPCs inside. One of them I entered on the 3rd floor and made my way all the way down to a small basement area.

The blue missions take you to some cool locations that show off the detail in the city design, but the way those missions are presented make it unlikely folks do many of them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Robobot posted:

Night City is better. It’s just empty.

ten thousand pachinko machines, zero of which are playable

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

What's the point of a giant city if there's nothing interesting to do in it?

I guess a question CDPR should have asked itself back when they started development in 2013 late 2017, but alas.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The point of giant city is to somehow win video game best graphic awards and gamers' awe, even though the entire game is held together with duck tape and toothpicks.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

the slowing of posts from people just posting various photo mode creations is possibly another bad sign for the game's longevity

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Having some parity between how you act in 'cutscenes' and what you can do milling about the city would be a huge improvement I think. Being able to go to some random bar, sit on the stool and do that swig from bottle animation would change the way city felt in a big way. Also, yes, pachinko and some non-plot BDs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I should be allowed to gently caress half the city.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Basic Chunnel posted:

the slowing of posts from people just posting various photo mode creations is possibly another bad sign for the game's longevity

I was either outright hating or being bored with my Cyberpunk experience until I did Judy's diving mission, and from that point on I just started opening up photo mode every 5 minutes to take cool shots and I suddenly loved the game.

Or at least that part of it.

Game still boring.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Basic Chunnel posted:

Nah.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I should be allowed to gently caress half the city.

buddy, they dont even let *me* gently caress half of the city.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Playable pachinko machines or chilling in a bar would certainly be cool but it's probably a thing most people would do once and then never engage with again. Going into a bar and being able to play Cyber Gwent would be different, but a lot of the other stuff feels more like a novelty than a real addition to the game.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

HoboTech posted:

Playable pachinko machines or chilling in a bar would certainly be cool but it's probably a thing most people would do once and then never engage with again. Going into a bar and being able to play Cyber Gwent would be different, but a lot of the other stuff feels more like a novelty than a real addition to the game.

I don't know. I really like those little "living life" moments in Red Dead Redemption 2. Getting blind drunk, falling through a bar room window, and then getting into a fist fight with a cop after accidentally punching a horse never gets old.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Sockser posted:

until I did Judy's diving mission,
That mission had one of the best music pieces, they absolutely nailed the atmosphere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5LKnD6Ah70

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Wicked Them Beats posted:

What's the point of a giant city if there's nothing interesting to do in it?

I guess a question CDPR should have asked itself back when they started development in 2013 late 2017, but alas.

IIRC the were serious hints that they simply had to start over the moment they got Keanu signed. They obviously somewhat fleshed out most of the main missions and cast around Johnny Silverhand and they simply skipped the worldbuilding and environments, that’s why it feels we are missing 80% of the content and side missions and encounters and interactions and activities we had in GTA V in comparison.
That’s why you can drive on streets that suddenly and abruptly end and you hit an invisible wall at the borders of the map.
The map layout was not followed with integrated content and coherent mechanics.

And yet…that unfinished and empty game still delivered one of the best game and story experiences tho, because the latest generic and hilariously bad AssCreed, Watchdogs and Far Cry Franchise iterations can’t even remotely deliver the immersion and setting that Cyberpunk delivered.

It’s a shame they released Cyberpunk in that state. The world they crafted undoubtedly had the fundamental base to be a generational title and match Witcher 3 or RDR2.
They wasted that chance.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 16, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Why would casting Keanu Reeves mean they couldn't put in a mahjong minigame or proper AI

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

they refocused the plot around keanu when he was previously optional because it was too complicated for them to have three options for who gets put in your head. its a symptom of the same consolidation u can see across the game and not the cause

KernelZee
Sep 28, 2021

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
I just hope that Neon in Starfield is a Bethesda slice of a cyberpunk at this rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2io6xFD1VY

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its going to be six people standing around a marketplace and another six people who the game tells you are rich who stand around in a fancy rich people marketplace

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
imagine simping for bethesda in tyool 2021 lmfao

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Farm Frenzy posted:

its going to be six people standing around a marketplace and another six people who the game tells you are rich who stand around in a fancy rich people marketplace

Sure, but those six people will also move around the marketplace and go home and stuff.

KernelZee
Sep 28, 2021

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

Horizon Burning posted:

imagine simping for bethesda in tyool 2021 lmfao

Not like I can depend on cdpr for the :airquote: next generation in open world rpgs :airquote:

Although I did play cyberpunk 2077 for 66 hours and Fallout 4 for 64, although at least half of that was trying to get mods to behave as is par for the course with any Bethesda rpg.

KernelZee fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 16, 2021

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

forest spirit posted:

boomer shooters

https://i.imgur.com/qElcn6y.mp4

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

HiroProtagonist posted:

buddy, they dont even let *me* gently caress half of the city.

Sex workers on every corner but only four are actually on the clock

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Tragic

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Sex workers on every corner but only four are actually on the clock

You're telling me the dystopian future has better vacation policies!?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
replaying cyberpunk and i still think it's pretty great. in a canon of planescape: torment and vampire the masquerade of games that barely functioned as games but still had something pretty interesting and enjoyable about them

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Vampire the masquerade was masterpiece on release but cyberpunk isn't even on its release level.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yeah this definitely on par with the greatest RPGs ever made. Also I think McDonald's hamburgers are the pinnacle of cuisine, and I don't understand how TV could ever climb past the heights of Friends.

edit: really if you're going to compare it to buggy messes that were still good games, you have Alpha Protocol right there. But Cyberpunk doesn't come anywhere close to the level of reactivity on display in AP so it still falls flat in comparison.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

replaying cyberpunk and i still think it's pretty great. in a canon of planescape: torment and vampire the masquerade of games that barely functioned as games but still had something pretty interesting and enjoyable about them

I cringed reading this.

Even if you remove all the bullshit from the game and fix everything that's broken the game is still nothing but a short and linear action flick with some somewhat above average presentation.
It would still not deserve to even be in the same room as Vampires Bloodlines or Planescape Torment.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Why would casting Keanu Reeves mean they couldn't put in a mahjong minigame or proper AI

Yeah the logic simply doesn't follow.

People really want the "hired Keeanu therefore badgame" story to be true but I really see no evidence for it. It may be that they decided to sign a big actor after they reached the conclusion they could only afford one storyline rather than the catalyst. And even if it is true it certainly doesn't explain problems that have nothing to do with the story.

People want to make some kind of "they sold out" argument and I'm just not sure it's that simple or even accurate.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I used to think there were massive last minute story rewrites because they got Keanu to play Silverhand at the 11th hour but at the time I was also under the impression that they'd been working on the game since 2014ish. I dunno. The story, while complete, feels like there are some huge holes in it. To this day I'm convinced a much larger plot involving Netwatch, Alt, and the Voodoo Boys was cut just because of the amount character work and design that went into the Netwatch guy for him to have all of 10 lines of dialogue then vanish.
I think it's straight up bullshit that they deliberately wrote the story to be ~20 hours long as a response to criticism about the length of the W3's story.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I used to think there were massive last minute story rewrites because they got Keanu to play Silverhand at the 11th hour but at the time I was also under the impression that they'd been working on the game since 2014ish. I dunno. The story, while complete, feels like there are some huge holes in it. To this day I'm convinced a much larger plot involving Netwatch, Alt, and the Voodoo Boys was cut just because of the amount character work and design that went into the Netwatch guy for him to have all of 10 lines of dialogue then vanish.
I think it's straight up bullshit that they deliberately wrote the story to be ~20 hours long as a response to criticism about the length of the W3's story.

Yeah, I'm 100% convinced that the "oh well nobody finished witcher 3 cause it was too long" was just an excuse to save face after they had to completely gut the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Please don't knock the mcDouble or the mcHot n' Spicy. Those things are loving perfect.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Mendrian posted:

Yeah the logic simply doesn't follow.

People really want the "hired Keeanu therefore badgame" story to be true but I really see no evidence for it. It may be that they decided to sign a big actor after they reached the conclusion they could only afford one storyline rather than the catalyst. And even if it is true it certainly doesn't explain problems that have nothing to do with the story.

People want to make some kind of "they sold out" argument and I'm just not sure it's that simple or even accurate.

I think it's more likely they focused on silverhand because that's all there was in the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sedisp posted:

I think it's more likely they focused on silverhand because that's all there was in the game.

That's all there was after they cut it down.

Early footage clearly shows you having the choice between three different legends to pick from at character creation, one of which was silverhand.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That wasn't content that they cut. That was a video they put together as an advertisement.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That wasn't content that they cut. That was a video they put together as an advertisement.

"Cut" was a wrong word to use.
I meant that during the first development cycle they were planning on having three different legends and you were supposed to be playing as a cop, and you can clearly see that a lot of the game's content is still from that era, but then they decided to restructure the whole game into a weakass GTA kind of affair.

So, not really "cut" and more like "only kept some of the parts when assembling the current Frankenstein's monster".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

"Cut" was a wrong word to use.
I meant that during the first development cycle they were planning on having three different legends and you were supposed to be playing as a cop, and you can clearly see that a lot of the game's content is still from that era, but then they decided to restructure the whole game into a weakass GTA kind of affair.

So, not really "cut" and more like "only kept some of the parts when assembling the current Frankenstein's monster".

the cop version if it existed wouldve been before the three legends version. three legends was shown in the first e3 demo so i think it had the same plot as the shipped game with different flashback sequences depending on who is on the relic. like the 2013 assault on arasaka tower would work really well as a rashomon thing where each choice interprets it completely differently

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 16, 2021