Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

HiroProtagonist posted:

buddy, they dont even let *me* gently caress half of the city.

I was gonna make this joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You already made the biggest joke ITT, leave some for the rest of us.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

That's all there was after they cut it down.

Early footage clearly shows you having the choice between three different legends to pick from at character creation, one of which was silverhand.

I more mean it's not like they hired Keanu and them were like "all hands on deck let's make the best silverhand game ever!"

More of them realizing the game has gently caress all in it then hyper focusing on what's actually there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Ouch.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

dont make fun of the developer

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It was a good burn but yeah, the rank and file developers really aren't at fault here. Or ever.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I cringed reading this.

Even if you remove all the bullshit from the game and fix everything that's broken the game is still nothing but a short and linear action flick with some somewhat above average presentation.
It would still not deserve to even be in the same room as Vampires Bloodlines or Planescape Torment.

not sure why you'd give a poo poo man let alone "cringe" but glad your feelings are that strong about the video game

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Hot take maybe, but both Vampire and Planescape have worse-feeling gameplay than Cyberpunk. I like both a lot, but I don't really like 'playing' either of them.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 16, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Farm Frenzy posted:

its going to be six people standing around a marketplace and another six people who the game tells you are rich who stand around in a fancy rich people marketplace

they will all be voiced by like 3 people total.

Jack Trades posted:

"Cut" was a wrong word to use.
I meant that during the first development cycle they were planning on having three different legends and you were supposed to be playing as a cop, and you can clearly see that a lot of the game's content is still from that era, but then they decided to restructure the whole game into a weakass GTA kind of affair.

So, not really "cut" and more like "only kept some of the parts when assembling the current Frankenstein's monster".

yeah. i think the game suffered from bioshock infinite type poo poo. where they basicaly flushed the game like 5 times so you ended up with like 4 games like sewed together and alot of it either didnt gel at all. like infinite solid until you get to finkton and the tears jumping just makes the game pointless and it kinda just shits itself for alot of it. parts work but like it feels like a bunch of weird ideas thrown together.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I still think Cyberpunk is a loving awesome game. Great writing, great characters, fun set pieces. It has issues and lots that could be better, true. But those things don’t take away my enjoyment of the game. All i ever wanted was Deus Ex meets Witcher 3, and I got that.

Also, Mankind Divided is loving awesome and while it sucks it’s only half a game, what is there is amazing. Not sure why we’d ever compare Prague with Night City though. Two completely different design goals in both and I don’t think one is “better” than the other.

i like it still. i think there is a solid game and story and world. but like its pasted together and its clear what the big stand out missions were and how the rest felt like far cry but not as fun. i think id compare it to TLJ because i see similar issues with both and in my opinion they both work in similar ways but they also both fail in same ways.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the most obvious example of where the story was stitched together from its constituent parts was in the "King of Night City" ending(s). The epilogue picks up on a story thread that was dropped like 5 hours into the campaign (V wanting to make a name for themselves in Night City) and framed like it was always some huge priority from the beginning. It's especially nonsensical when the choice that leads to that happening have Johnny take over V's body for the final fight has no connection to the emotional state that V is in when they make that choice. It only makes sense thematically if you play the Street Kid prologue and then forget about everything that happens for the next 50 hours.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

Vampire the masquerade was masterpiece on release but cyberpunk isn't even on its release level.

Say you didn't play Bloodlines on release without saying you didn't play Bloodlines on release.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'm of the opinion that the "other legendary heroes" stuff never existed except in a design doc somewhere. I also suspect whatever broader story was once in the game was nowhere near complete by the time Keeanu voicework was being done. Simply because you can rest assured anything that was completed would have been stitched on somehow.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

History Comes Inside! posted:

:captainpop:

Jack Trades posted:

It was a good burn but yeah, the rank and file developers really aren't at fault here. Or ever.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Say you didn't play Bloodlines on release without saying you didn't play Bloodlines on release.

Ah yes, notoriously untroubled Bloodlines, Valve's guinea pig for 'can a third party dev make a game on the Source engine before we've actually finished making the source engine?'.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I'll still take release Bloodlines over release Cyberpunk

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I'm of the opinion that the "other legendary heroes" stuff never existed except in a design doc somewhere. I also suspect whatever broader story was once in the game was nowhere near complete by the time Keeanu voicework was being done. Simply because you can rest assured anything that was completed would have been stitched on somehow.

this. i think alot of them existed as documents and ideas and maybe a vertical slice or two. i think the game was probably only a game since maybe like 2015/2014.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eraflure posted:

yeah what the gently caress is the deal with that? is that dead or not?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah what the gently caress is the deal with that? is that dead or not?

Bloodlines 2? It's dead in all but name. In theory Paradox hasn't officially canned it and is supposedly handing it off to another developer but until they say something positive about the project it's safe to assume it's been flushed. We don't really know more about what happened yet other than a lot of revolving chairs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mendrian posted:

Bloodlines 2? It's dead in all but name. In theory Paradox hasn't officially canned it and is supposedly handing it off to another developer but until they say something positive about the project it's safe to assume it's been flushed. We don't really know more about what happened yet other than a lot of revolving chairs.

yeah. it seems like covid plus publishers being publishers have hosed a whole bunch of titles in the last 2 years. i am hoping 2022 is better because most of this years releases were games that were delayed due to covid.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Eraflure posted:

On the one hand, I'll never forget the opening scenes where all the vampires gathered to discuss your fate, and at the end of it they all turned like robots and whizzed away like they had wheels for feet. Which was oddly appropriate since the very next thing was meeting your vampire mentor, who was voiced by John DiMaggio in full on Bender Bending Rodriguez mode, and made me wonder if a vampire version of Fry or Zoidberg were going to show up as well.

On the other hand, I remember my first playthrough as a Malkavian where the TV set started talking to me, so 15/10 game right there. :v:

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I replay Bloodlines every now and then. Still haven't had a playthrough where the furniture and props in my apartment don't start inexplicably turning into chairs between visits.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mendrian posted:

Paradox just put out their Q3 results and they are brutal so they might have felt the need to push the bad news off a quarter.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That wasn't content that they cut. That was a video they put together as an advertisement.

Mendrian posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. i think alot of them existed as documents and ideas and maybe a vertical slice or two. i think the game was probably only a game since maybe like 2015/2014.

Actually I went back to check where the Childhood Hero thing came from and turns out it was from the 50 minute gameplay reveal mere 2 years before the game's final release.

So presumably at that point the developers were still actively working on the chip having three possible engrams on it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Jack Trades posted:

Actually I went back to check where the Childhood Hero thing came from and turns out it was from the 50 minute gameplay reveal mere 2 years before the game's final release.

So presumably at that point the developers were still actively working on the chip having three possible engrams on it.

Now you mention it, I seem to vaguely remember a rumor or something that Grimes was going to be one of the "engram" characters (which of course turned out not to be the case), and some speculation on who might be playing the third one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat Jesus Christ imagine if they’d just left the game in the oven for another 6 years and we got 3 completely different engrams, with different branching storylines depending on how you let each relic rider influence you, with a different suite of endings. It could’ve been a Witcher 3 size & quality game, if only they’d been allowed literally infinite time to make it lol

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It makes sense to cut down on that and focus on one character relationship, rather than having three separate main quests. Either that would cut and paste a lot of dialogue or be an insane amount of work, probably both

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

2house2fly posted:

It makes sense to cut down on that and focus on one character relationship, rather than having three separate main quests. Either that would cut and paste a lot of dialogue or be an insane amount of work, probably both

The between-the-lines lie of the "most people didn't finish Witcher 3 so we're making a much shorter and denser game" is that instead of a 100 hour game that you play once, they're gonna make a 20 hour game that has enough replayability to play it 5 times.

Instead we got a 20 hour game with less replayability than a review of said game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also CDPR doesn’t care if we’re playing TW3 multiple times, it cares if we’re buying it multiple times. The Witcher 3 continues to sell very well, I think.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I mentioned Alpha Protocol before and if they were going to make a 20-30 hour experience that would have been the lesson to build off of. Highly reactive, lots of branching narrative, a feeling like you're getting a completely different experience based on your decisions and how you react to different characters.

Unfortunately the only part of AP they seemed to copy was the part where development was a nightmare and they had to scrap a bunch of their work in order to get to a very buggy release.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alchenar posted:

Ah yes, notoriously untroubled Bloodlines, Valve's guinea pig for 'can a third party dev make a game on the Source engine before we've actually finished making the source engine?'.

Remember the quest which would bug out and crashed the game to desktop and the answer was 'wait for patch?' Or how if you wanted to talk to some NPCs the only way to do it was to noclip?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

HoboTech posted:

Playable pachinko machines or chilling in a bar would certainly be cool but it's probably a thing most people would do once and then never engage with again. Going into a bar and being able to play Cyber Gwent would be different, but a lot of the other stuff feels more like a novelty than a real addition to the game.

cyber gwent should be an old style video game and is actually multiplayer like you go into a bar or other place with a lot of people and chip in and play actual space war with actual idiots irl

or other kinda poo poo like this. Plus it's cool in a couple different ways, it's a retro af game that came out in the 60s, you could skin it with some in-universe orbitals crap, it's simple enough that it could probably be implemented as a cool cyber overlay. Plus i remember illegally copying a flopying with a version of this as a kid, you def need poo poo that has that vibe in cyberpunk.

Or have like a super stripped down bone dry witcher or other weirdo poo poo like this. An actual video game in the video game, but not anything that could take up a ton of dev time or some stupid poo poo, just some goofball stuff. poo poo have it so that if someone on your friends list is also playing cyberpunk they can ping you, on your phone, and if you pick up you can start playing. Just stupid as gently caress, but kinda neat in it's own right.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the first time i played i tried to stop and sit on a bench while on a phonecall and couldn't do it, so probably you weren't ever gonna be playing poo poo on your cyber eye

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Remember the quest which would bug out and crashed the game to desktop and the answer was 'wait for patch?' Or how if you wanted to talk to some NPCs the only way to do it was to noclip?

Oh I didn't buy it until everyone agreed it was mostly fixed. I do remember everyone thinking that it was an absolute disaster for Valve because everyone thought their business model was going to be competing with Epic and Id and shopping the Source engine out to developers. Meanwhile steam was about to be released as the most annoying mandatory fail-to-download-update app ever.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Also the existence of a 5x5 gif with three possibilities on it is still just "in a design document somewhere" like there's zero evidence they ever got to even writing that part of the story.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I think the amount of effort they put into a lot of the news stories is lost because they jammed all the tv channels with a million of the same 5 commercials. Very true to real life, but I think a lot of people missed those.

Only reason I noticed them at all was because I left the game running while I made dinner and the TV was on in V’s apartment.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

terrorist ambulance posted:

replaying cyberpunk and i still think it's pretty great. in a canon of planescape: torment and vampire the masquerade of games that barely functioned as games but still had something pretty interesting and enjoyable about them

vampire is a loving masterpiece even to this day i cant even remember what was big butt desert lady name was

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

HoboTech posted:

Playable pachinko machines or chilling in a bar would certainly be cool but it's probably a thing most people would do once and then never engage with again. Going into a bar and being able to play Cyber Gwent would be different, but a lot of the other stuff feels more like a novelty than a real addition to the game.

I feel like if you're gonna have an open world game stuff like that really does help the experience though. if you have enough of them then by the time one gets boring you can just do something else

but also Witcher 3 didn't have THAT much else to do besides quests (Gwent was One Big Thing). It's just the quests were on average way, way better with cool twists and the like. Lots of CP2077's sidequests felt very on-rails

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zeta Acosta posted:

vampire is a loving masterpiece even to this day i cant even remember what was big butt desert lady name was

I'm pretty sure her name is akali?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

You literally could not complete the game on release.