Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Remember last year (I think) when Megan McCain on The View had a whole "I had no idea how important maternity leave was until I became a mother!" speech? Yeah. That pretty much sums up the mentality.

Speaking of which, that same friend who recommended 12 Rules recently had a Facebook post about how he never realized how inhospitable his neighborhood was to wheelchairs and such until he had to push a stroller around for his kid. I mean, not to virtue signal, but that was one of my first thoughts when I first visited the area.

A lot of people just don't understand and probably can't understand altruism or social service even if lives depend on it, until the benefit becomes clear. I suppose that a large proportion of people are just wired to only think in transactions, in terms of themselves and their in-groups.

Maybe these are the same people who hear about a harassment case and their first thought is "what if it were me who was being accused" and the question of what would they do if they were victims never occurs to them. The same people who carry on about how masks are about control and tyranny and it never occurs to them that they're just an uncomfortable prophylactic to help each other out during a lovely pandemic. It's clearly incorrect to think other people will be or should be altruistic just because we are altruistic and desire altruism. It's worse for one to think all left people must actually be bad and only pretending to be good as part of some trick. It shouldn't be that hard to understand that the out-group is actually another in-group except one is excluded from it. But it's unlikely that old mate, or any JBP admirer really, is going to take anything away from this place that they didn't bring with them.

A lot of the stuff about disabled access only started getting attention after WW1, (or WW2 depending on which country,) I hope people who are critical of those with disabilities come to understand why social services and accessibility requirements are good for everyone and not just those who need them directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Hamburger Sandwich posted:

In the debate Zizek calls identity politics "impotent moralising", he is saying they are not able of effecting substantial political change. Peterson believes that they are the root cause of societies ills, they are effecting political change through teachings at HR Departments and University Faculties. They have different prognosis.

I posted the foreword on Pastebin and needed to rot13 it first, but here's a part I could be referring to:

Slavoj Zizek posted:

This brings me to my next critical point. What I sincerely don’t get is Peterson’s designation of the position he is most critical about (not as the usual ‘cultural Marxists’, but): ‘postmodern neo-Marxists’. Nobody calls himself or herself that, so it’s a critical term—but does it hold? Peterson seems to like to give precise references, he mentions books, etc., so I would like to know his precise references here. I think I know what he has in mind: the politically-correct multicultural, anti-Eurocentric, etc. mess. But, where are Marxists among them? Peterson seems to oppose ‘postmodern neo-Marxism’ to the Western Judeo-Christian legacy. I find this opposition weird.

First, post-modernism and Marxism are incompatible: the theory of post-modernism emerged as a critique of Marxism (in Lyotard and others). The ultimate post-modernists are today conservatives themselves (editor’s note: as extensively written-upon by our Matt McManus). Once traditional authority loses its substantial power, it is not possible to return to it—all such returns are today a post-modern fake. Does Trump enact traditional values? No! His ‘conservativism’ is a post-modern performance, a gigantic ego trip. In this sense of obscenely playing with ‘traditional values’, of mixing references to them with open obscenities, Trump—not Obama—is the ultimate postmodern president. If we compare Donald Trump with Bernie Sanders, Trump is a post-modern politician at its purest, while Sanders is an old-fashioned moralist. Yes, when we make political decisions, we should carefully think about possible non-intended actual consequences which may turn out to be disastrous. But I would worry here about the Trump administration—it is now Trump who wages radical changes in the economy, international politics, etc. The very term ‘postmodern neo-Marxism’ reminds me of the typical totalitarian procedure of combining the two opposite trends into one figure of the enemy (like the ‘Judeo-Bolshevik plot’ in fascism).

Second, can one imagine anything more ‘Western’ than post-modernism or Marxism? But which Western tradition are we talking about? In Europe today, I think the greatest threats to that worth saving in a European tradition are precisely those populist ‘defenders’ of Europe, like Salvini in Italy or le Pen in France. (No wonder they are joining hands with Putin and Trump, whose shared goals are to ruin European unity.) As for me, that is why I am unabashedly Eurocentric—it always strikes me how the very leftist critique of Eurocentrism is formulated in terms which only have sense within the Western tradition.

Third, Peterson condemns historicist relativism, but a historical approach does not necessarily entail relativism. The easiest way to detect a historical break is when society accepts that something (which was hitherto a common practice) is simply not acceptable. There were times when slavery or torture were considered normal, now they are considered unacceptable (except for torture in the US in the last decade or so). And I see MeToo or LGBTQ+ as part of this same progress—which, of course, does not imply that we should not ruthlessly criticize eventual weird turns of these two movements, however. And, in the same way, modernity means you cannot directly refer to the authority of a tradition—if you do it, it’s a comedy, an ego trip (if not something much worse, as in fundamentalism).

Another oft-repeated Peterson-motif is the idea that, according to the ‘postmodern neo-Marxists’, the capitalist West is characterized by ‘tyrannical patriarchy’ (with Peterson here triumphantly mocking this claim, enumerating cases of how hierarchy existed not only in non-Western societies—but also in nature!). Again, I sincerely don’t know which ‘neo-Marxists’ claim that patriarchy is the result of the capitalist West. Marx says the exact contrary: in one of the most famous passages from The Communist Manifesto, he writes that it is precisely capitalism itself which tends to undermine all traditional patriarchal hierarchies. Furthermore, in ‘Authority and Family’, an early classic of the Frankfurt School (the origin of ‘cultural Marxism’), Max Horkheimer is far from just condemning modern patriarchal family—he describes how the paternal role model can provide to a youngster a stable support to resist social pressure. As his colleague Adorno pointed out, totalitarian leaders like Hitler are not paternal figures. (And I am well aware of the obsession of post-colonial and feminist theorists with patriarchy, but I think this obsession is a reaction to their inability to confront the fact that the predominant type of subjectivity in the developed-West today is a hedonist subject whose ultimate goal in life is to realize its potentials and, as they say, re-invent itself again and again by changing its fluid identity.) What annoys me are theorists who present this type of subjectivity as something subversive of capitalist patriarchal order: I think such fluid subjectivity is the main fork of subjectivity in today’s capitalism.

Zizek is well known to be a critic of postmodernism, whatever that word means, and what I was going for is how he concedes postmodern neo-Marxism is a real, tangible phenomenon, namely, "the politically-correct multicultural, anti-Eurocentric, etc. mess". I believe a related response to Peterson's reading of something like this, in the debate, when discussing the reappropriation of oppressor/opressed narratives into the realm of race, gender and sexual identity etc., was "I totally agree with you! [...] but why do you call it Marxism?"). There's nothing unclear to me in how he says it cannot be tied to the sort of conspiratorial leftist narrative that Peterson places it into, but that's not my point. He's repeatedly said that this avenue is, for a political project, a lot of nice tinkering for the purpose of non-change over change (which I referred to and quoted directly with "not radical enough"). It's worth remembering how widely Zizek is ostracized for some of these positions. Yet his advocacy for eurocentrism, for instance, is an attempt at serious philosophical position searching for universality, in how disavowing Eurocentrism due to the legacy of Nazism, colonialism etc. is a fake prostration and modesty which takes pleasure in reserving the true universal subjective position.

Zizek has criticized Butler (his friend), among others, for inserting essentialism in their constructonism, as well as constructionism in their essentialism, and this is a rather obvious feature of 21st century LGBT discourse that lands inside the "politically-correct mess" that he often critiques. I place this more at the feet of Butler's followers than themselves, but yes, fundamentally, I agree with Zizek in how some predominant ("subversive") conceptions of gender identity inhabit a surprisingly conservative and rigid philosophical position, which is dependent on presupposing a transcendental temporal horizon of an extremely neoliberal progress of history. So goes Zizek's critique on SATFA, whose main topics include attempts of overcoming this transcendentalism in search of the absolute. If you want to know why I haven't gotten into this theory in positioning Peterson's rise as a part of the failure of the post-Reaganite left or death of metaphysics (which, no, I don't mean as a simple rehash of Nietzsche or something, but the anglophone analytic turn, the death of the humanities and their replacement with the existential voids of Sam Harris and Stephen Hawking, a specific recent phenomenon), it's because I felt I need to self-moderate. If I pathologized this thread the way you are doing to me, I wonder how that would go down. You'll find many Zizekian concepts leaking through if you've read him post-SOI, including my calling JP a master in the discursive sense. I don't think a master can be called the object of anything (they are the discursive agent), but I could write a tract about Jorp's position as the Sublime Subject of Ideology. And then disagree with it.

The praxis of how I wish we dealt with people was also a direct pick up from Zizek, who believes the least subversive thing you can do today is the ironic, detached, insincere distancing which carries most of this thread. The quality of hysteria I would more relate with antivaxxers than Hegel: if there is subversive potential in the (a)political posturing, it is terminally displaced with hysterical lies that rarely connect with even a shallow reading of Peterson. It feels nice, though, I hope. Stylistically, it's pretty close to how I imagine people on 8chan or Voat talk(ed) about Anita Sarkeesian. There is a genuine human anxiety about it, I just don't think it has found the real target. Maybe I'm projecting in how I feel I've grown up from that, maybe this is pathological in ways that you should be dealing with just like I'm being put in New Atheism jail. I have the bravery to talk about myself as a genuine human being with a past. I wonder how many here could think of Jordan Peterson through even the mildest critical self-reflection of themselves, and then put that up for half a dozen people anxious to dump on you. (How's that for the pathologizing?)

My praise of neighborhood over allyship is also from Zizek. He says the most subversive political position for the left is that of occupying the position of the sincere, kind moral majority, using Bernie Sanders as a common example. He says he's on friendly terms with Peterson, sending his best wishes for a quick exchange with JP's daughter when he was in recovery. He yearns for a return to a sort of bipartisan friendship. If this is a respectable, intellectually serious position, it appears to me like it's almost impossible to reconcile with what I'm seeing here. Yet you'll find Zizek repeatedly praised in this thread. Is it my problem that I haven't read him enough? If you want me to write an analysis based on a book chapter you like, you can always make requests, but in saying I'm not Zizekian enough, all I'm getting from it is that I'm too Zizekian. I've put Lacan more to the side in the last couple of years, sorry. The thing is, so has 21st century Zizek.

This is tiring me out for personal reasons that should be obvious by now, and I guess I should eat something on a lunch break. So I'll bow out, but hope that cleared up some things. And if not, that's fine too.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 16, 2021

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Thanks for the effortpost, seems out of place in a mock thread in a toxic comedy forum but also I can't think of anywhere more suitable.

Don't wear yourself out for the internet, outside of some very narrow criteria it's never worth it.

BIG BABY JESUS
Jan 4, 2009

comrade commisrawr

Ihki posted:

bipartisan friendship

I'd love to see jorp extend the olive branch

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

The Sausages posted:

Thanks for the effortpost, seems out of place in a mock thread in a toxic comedy forum but also I can't think of anywhere more suitable.

Don't wear yourself out for the internet, outside of some very narrow criteria it's never worth it.

Appreciated, but don't overread it. The whole line of conversation where I'm meant to justify myself might be an unsatisfying dead end which I'm just not prepared to keep defending, but that's simple enough to fix with how I can just prefer not to. Having a rough day, maybe, but it's not the posting (ETA for a surgery through public health care: 1.5 yrs; need to think about forking some thousands for it).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Ihki you have an extremely tedious way of writing and that definitely is a major obstacle in others understanding you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is there a single serious lie about Jordan Peterson itt? His fans seem most shocked and incredulous when they are presented his own words verbatim.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Who What Now posted:

Ihki you have an extremely tedious way of writing and that definitely is a major obstacle in others understanding you.

For my position on understanding, I'm against it. There's like a handful of big ticket continental theorists who are really effective writers. I'm under no illusion I'm one of them, nor are any of the people I've mentioned ITT (e: oh, I did mention Nietzsche). Maybe you enjoy someone better, maybe the entire tradition is inscrutable (which is commonly the case). I don't think I can win, either way. This came up as soon as I picked up a couple of those big words that I was told I should be getting into.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 16, 2021

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is there a single serious lie about Jordan Peterson itt? His fans seem most shocked and incredulous when they are presented his own words verbatim.

what can you make up about jorp thats more outlandish than the truth

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ihki posted:

I posted the foreword on Pastebin and needed to rot13 it first, but here's a part I could be referring to:

Zizek is well known to be a critic of postmodernism, whatever that word means, and what I was going for is how he concedes postmodern neo-Marxism is a real, tangible phenomenon, namely, "the politically-correct multicultural, anti-Eurocentric, etc. mess". I believe a related response to Peterson's reading of something like this, in the debate, when discussing the reappropriation of oppressor/opressed narratives into the realm of race, gender and sexual identity etc., was "I totally agree with you! [...] but why do you call it Marxism?"). There's nothing unclear to me in how he says it cannot be tied to the sort of conspiratorial leftist narrative that Peterson places it into, but that's not my point. He's repeatedly said that this avenue is, for a political project, a lot of nice tinkering for the purpose of non-change over change (which I referred to and quoted directly with "not radical enough"). It's worth remembering how widely Zizek is ostracized for some of these positions. Yet his advocacy for eurocentrism, for instance, is an attempt at serious philosophical position searching for universality, in how disavowing Eurocentrism due to the legacy of Nazism, colonialism etc. is a fake prostration and modesty which takes pleasure in reserving the true universal subjective position.

Zizek has criticized Butler (his friend), among others, for inserting essentialism in their constructonism, as well as constructionism in their essentialism, and this is a rather obvious feature of 21st century LGBT discourse that lands inside the "politically-correct mess" that he often critiques. I place this more at the feet of Butler's followers than themselves, but yes, fundamentally, I agree with Zizek in how some predominant ("subversive") conceptions of gender identity inhabit a surprisingly conservative and rigid philosophical position, which is dependent on presupposing a transcendental temporal horizon of an extremely neoliberal progress of history. So goes Zizek's critique on SATFA, whose main topics include attempts of overcoming this transcendentalism in search of the absolute. If you want to know why I haven't gotten into this theory in positioning Peterson's rise as a part of the failure of the post-Reaganite left or death of metaphysics (which, no, I don't mean as a simple rehash of Nietzsche or something, but the anglophone analytic turn, the death of the humanities and their replacement with the existential voids of Sam Harris and Stephen Hawking, a specific recent phenomenon), it's because I felt I need to self-moderate. If I pathologized this thread the way you are doing to me, I wonder how that would go down. You'll find many Zizekian concepts leaking through if you've read him post-SOI, including my calling JP a master in the discursive sense. I don't think a master can be called the object of anything (they are the discursive agent), but I could write a tract about Jorp's position as the Sublime Subject of Ideology. And then disagree with it.

The praxis of how I wish we dealt with people was also a direct pick up from Zizek, who believes the least subversive thing you can do today is the ironic, detached, insincere distancing which carries most of this thread. The quality of hysteria I would more relate with antivaxxers than Hegel: if there is subversive potential in the (a)political posturing, it is terminally displaced with hysterical lies that rarely connect with even a shallow reading of Peterson. It feels nice, though, I hope. Stylistically, it's pretty close to how I imagine people on 8chan or Voat talk(ed) about Anita Sarkeesian. There is a genuine human anxiety about it, I just don't think it has found the real target. Maybe I'm projecting in how I feel I've grown up from that, maybe this is pathological in ways that you should be dealing with just like I'm being put in New Atheism jail. I have the bravery to talk about myself as a genuine human being with a past. I wonder how many here could think of Jordan Peterson through even the mildest critical self-reflection of themselves, and then put that up for half a dozen people anxious to dump on you. (How's that for the pathologizing?)

My praise of neighborhood over allyship is also from Zizek. He says the most subversive political position for the left is that of occupying the position of the sincere, kind moral majority, using Bernie Sanders as a common example. He says he's on friendly terms with Peterson, sending his best wishes for a quick exchange with JP's daughter when he was in recovery. He yearns for a return to a sort of bipartisan friendship. If this is a respectable, intellectually serious position, it appears to me like it's almost impossible to reconcile with what I'm seeing here. Yet you'll find Zizek repeatedly praised in this thread. Is it my problem that I haven't read him enough? If you want me to write an analysis based on a book chapter you like, you can always make requests, but in saying I'm not Zizekian enough, all I'm getting from it is that I'm too Zizekian. I've put Lacan more to the side in the last couple of years, sorry. The thing is, so has 21st century Zizek.

This is tiring me out for personal reasons that should be obvious by now, and I guess I should eat something on a lunch break. So I'll bow out, but hope that cleared up some things. And if not, that's fine too.

you have mastered the zizek style congratulations

but yeah i think your right in so much as JP is tapping into some genuine critique of society. but he himself is not genuine, all he cares about is getting his meat money

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ihki posted:

For my position on understanding, I'm against it.

In that case I suggest never posting at all so this thread isn't cluttered up with unreadable slogs.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Who What Now posted:

In that case I suggest never posting at all so this thread isn't cluttered up with unreadable slogs.

If part of my theoretical point was how this thread is principally about trying not to understand things, then wouldn't that mean my posts, not so desperate to be understood as to do headstands about it, are just part of the good vibe?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
No.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Ihki posted:

If part of my theoretical point was how this thread is principally about trying not to understand things, then wouldn't that mean my posts, not so desperate to be understood as to do headstands about it, are just part of the good vibe?

No

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
I had to check that we hadn't moved to D&D, but it makes a nice change from Kermit the frog jokes, even if I have to read each post 3 times and google a few words

Edit: no

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 16, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ihki posted:

Granted I only read the synopsis of that book, but isn't it just about focusing on healing a psych patient instead of putting too much emphasis on trying to understand them? It mentions avoiding trying to find meaning and subtext in every thing they say, and to focus on treatment. I guess you could make the argument some people in this thread are psychoanalyzing posts a bit much, but I don't think that book is saying your arguments and discourse should be beyond understand-ability by virtue. I feel like this moves into obnoxious JORP territory of "I refuse to be pinned down to concrete beliefs even though what I am saying is undeniable objective truth." Ya really got to appreciate someone who is willing to talk about things they don't understand, like Kanye.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 16, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ihki posted:

If you are not willing to be a fool, you can't become a master.

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007

Ihki posted:

I have have a copy of Myths and Mayhem, I have read his preface already. I do not agree with your reading of it. I refer to how Zizek makes the explicit comparison of the term ‘postmodern neo-Marxism’ with the ideology fascism and their use of the symbolic "Jew".

As it was often pointed out, fascism is, at it’s most elementary, a conservative revolution maintain or even reassert a traditional hierarchal society. A society which is capitalist, but at the same time controlled by hierarchal values with no class or other antagonisms. But, class struggle and other dangers is something inherent to capitalism, instability is the way capitalism functions.

"The Jew" in Nazi Ideology is the way to explain away these contradictions. It is an ideological fantasy which puts the cause of everything wrong not as a result of the inherent tensions in the development of this society but as the result of a foreign intruder. This is why “The Jew” in Nazi ideology is a constellation of contradictorily notions.

To Nazis they were both the ruling capitalist class (money grabbing, secretly running the world, exploitation of the poor) and of the lower class (dirtiness, sexual promiscuity, communism). The only consistency is as precisely a symbolic condensation of everything that Nazi ideology’s says they are against.

I've pointed out previously that Peterson uses "post-modernism" the same way. Zizek says this from the preface to Myths and Mayhem referring to Petersons use of the term cultural marxism

"The term Cultural Marxism "plays the same structural role as that of the 'Jewish plot' in anti-Semitism: it projects (or rather, transposes) the immanent antagonism of our socio-economic life onto an external cause: what the conservative alt-right deplores as the ethical disintegration of our lives (feminism, attacks on patriarchy, political correctness, etc.) must have an external cause—because it cannot, for them, emerge out of the antagonisms and tensions of our own societies."

When you say "there's nothing unclear to me in how he says it cannot be tied to the sort of conspiratorial leftist narrative that Peterson places it into" this is explicitly contradicted by this statement. Zizek isn't saying post-modernism is part of a conspiracy like you believe, he's saying Peterson is a conspiracy theorist for believing so.

When refer to Zizeks argument that "people who reject eurocentrism due to the legacy of Nazism, colonialism etc. is a fake prostration and modesty which takes pleasure in reserving the true universal subjective position.. Are you still talking about the post modern conspiracy? Your switching gears really fast.

If that is the case then I have to say it is the same argument against people who say "all lives matter". Even though their spoken statement is for equality and universality because they don't recognise "black lives don't matter" they are reserving the true universal subjective position for themselves. Are race reactionaries in the post modernists conspiracy?

I also don't believe that Zizek thinks there are post modernists trying to appropriate the oppressor/oppressed dichotomy because this comes form Peterson himself re-appropriating Slave/Master morality from Nietzsche and misunderstanding what class struggle is. There is nothing to reappropriate because class struggle is still here, it never went away.

I don't see how Zizek's criticism of Butler's response to how we deal with discursivity in gender as ""inserting essentialism in their constructionism, as well as constructionism in their essentialism."". this is meaningless without context because on the face of it, this kind of reversal is something I expect Zizek to say we need to do.

I'm not well read on Butler's work but the impression I got was that Zizek's concept of ideology and Butler's performativity are very closely aligned. They are both Hegelians who use psychoanalysis to study subjectivity and how it is developed externally. They have disagreements over interpretations of Hegel but I mean that's the point of academia? Zizek is also here the Marxist criticising Butler for not being radical enough. I thought the conspiracy existed to radicalise people, is Zizek in the conspiracy?

I'm going to stop it here because I think you need to slow down mate. Rather than respond to what I have written you have shot off a hundred different ways and left other people to try and divine your meaning. I'm not saying read more, that was explicitly the opposite of what I was saying when I was referring to Pokémon. I said you should instead focus. Take your time to develop what you have already read about and relate it to what other people who are engaged in the topic are saying otherwise you'll develop your own constellation of signifiers that only you'll understand.

I appreciate your trying to try something new rather than just criticise, but if your trying to build to build a collaborative political project I don't think this is a good way to do so. Even though you quoted me I didn't even know if you were talking to me as you seemed to ignore what I had to say and bounced between several disparate topics. So not only did I find it hard to understand you, I also felt unheard.

And while its good to use sincerity in your politics I probably wouldn't do it if it is wearing you out emotionally and all that is at steak is this internet forums. It's Jungian psychoanalysis's that's meant to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal symptoms, not Lacan.

Hamburger Sandwich fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 16, 2021

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

eSporks posted:

Granted I only read the synopsis of that book, but isn't it just about focusing on healing a psych patient instead of putting too much emphasis on trying to understand them? It mentions avoiding trying to find meaning and subtext in every thing they say, and to focus on treatment. I guess you could make the argument some people in this thread are psychoanalyzing posts a bit much, but I don't think that book is saying your arguments and discourse should be beyond understand-ability by virtue. I feel like this moves into obnoxious JORP territory of "I refuse to be pinned down to concrete beliefs even though what I am saying is undeniable objective truth." Ya really got to appreciate someone who is willing to talk about things they don't understand, like Kanye.

Yeah, I just thought it made for a nice quip, but I also take it seriously in the sense of how I think we should try to worry less about understanding ourselves a lot less, in the vein of what I've already put down on identity. It's not really about how you should write. Unless you ask the three people who love Lacan for the great writing, anyway.

Kanye's a nice segway into how you could say he is a perfect example of the Lacanian psychotic in believing he is Kanye West. The same applies for the Jordan Peterson who thinks he's Jordan Peterson, the symbolic, prophetic messiah figure. It's this overidentification or overdetermination that I'm mostly opposed to in being against understanding. I am a neighbor to myself, blah blah.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

I appreciate your trying to try something new rather than just criticise, but if your trying to build to build a collaborative political project I don't think this is a good way to do so. Even though you quoted me I didn't even know if you were talking to me as you seemed to ignore what I had to say and bounced between several disparate topics. So not only did I find it hard to understand you, I also felt unheard.

And while its good to use sincerity in your politics I probably wouldn't do it if it is wearing you out emotionally and all that is at steak is this internet forums. It's Jungian psychoanalysis's that's meant to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal symptoms, not Lacan.

I already said it's a bit much to get worried about me. All I'm saying is this is not a very productive conversation when I'm meant to be defending my personal history and now my mental health, where the only person with these chips on the table seems to be myself (and whoever is unfortunate enough to say something neutral or better on Jorp). It's a rigged game and I don't really want to play it. In being told I was not engaging with theory and that I should read some, I cleared up what I had bubbling under, informing what I had already written about. If that's not topical enough on how I have in fact read my Zizek, that's fine, too. I appreciate the effort response, but I wasn't really meaning to debate or open a new conversation. In case you haven't noticed, that type of conversation is not welcomed here.

To be clear, though, as this seems to be a major theme in your response, no, I did not say Zizek believes in some sort of postmodernist conspiracy theory, but that whatever Peterson's boogie man is, he concedes this source of anxiety exists in some form that contains elements that Peterson is correct in pointing out. This is not contradictory with how he calls Peterson a conspiracy theorist, which I thought was already established.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 16, 2021

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Yeah but what are ur thoughts on lobsters?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ihki posted:

In case you haven't noticed, that type of conversation is not welcomed here.

It's welcome, just not when it looks like it was run through a malfunctioning translation app and back again. If you're just posting to post, don't want anyone to understand, and then whine that "that type of conversation is not welcome here" then why not make a thread in Post My Favorites where you can post all the malformed word vomit you want with no fear of jokes at your expense?

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 16, 2021

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007

Ihki posted:

I already said it's a bit much to get worried about me. All I'm saying is this is not a very productive conversation when I'm meant to be defending my personal history and now my mental health, where the only person with these chips on the table seems to be myself (and whoever is unfortunate enough to say something neutral or better on Jorp). It's a rigged game and I don't really want to play it. In being told I was not engaging with theory and that I should read some, I cleared up what I had bubbling under, informing what I had already written about. If that's not topical enough on how I have in fact read my Zizek, that's fine, too. I appreciate the effort response, but I wasn't really meaning to debate or open a new conversation. In case you haven't noticed, that type of conversation is not welcomed here.

To be clear, though, as this seems to be a major theme in your response, no, I did not say Zizek believes in some sort of postmodernist conspiracy theory, but that whatever Peterson's boogie man is, he concedes this source of anxiety exists in some form that contains elements that Peterson is correct in pointing out. This is not contradictory with how he calls Peterson a conspiracy theorist, which I thought was already established.

Mate ….. this is exactly the reason why my original point was to do the analysis from the Sublime Object. The source of the anxiety, what is repressed by ideology and what Peterson and reactionary thought is a symptom of, is liberal capitalism itself.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Who What Now posted:

It's welcome, just not when it looks like it was run through a malfunctioning translation app and back again. If you're just posting to post, don't want anyone to understand, and then whine that "that type of conversation is not welcome here" then why not make a thread in Post My Favorites where you can post all the malformed word vomit you want with no fear of jokes at your expense?

I took a look at the eight pages of contributions you've put in, and I have my own speculations on how you had such difficulty reading my posts even when I was trying to dumb them down.

Mate ….. this is exactly the reason why my original point was to do the analysis from the Sublime Object. The source of the anxiety, what is repressed by ideology and what Peterson and reactionary thought is a symptom of, is liberal capitalism itself.

As long as we agree that it is a pathology that goes deep in this very thread as what is described as subversive leftism, then I have no objection to that. This is not exactly the point of SOI chapter one which you were condescending to me about. I'm approaching it from a different direction as informed by Zizek and so on, nevertheless. I counted the ways. If I got there without talking about Marx and the symptom, then maybe that's wrong and maybe it isn't.

But I guess in hearing I'm right in the wrong way, it's curtains. Sorry and thanks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ihki posted:

and so on

:thunk:
your actually zizek, admit it

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
we are increasingly falling prey to the desperation of meaninglessness,

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
the addiction clinician cold turkeyd himself into a coma because he had no idea how to not do benzos

lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
like I'm gonna take advice from a Canadian

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
What are benzos like anyway, i gotta fathom they're p. sweet

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

the addiction clinician cold turkeyd himself into a coma because he had no idea how to not do benzos

lol

But then made a serious I'm smarter than you half frown mug for a photo with Joe Rogan so i'm not sure what to believe.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Does cleaning the living room count?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Batterypowered7 posted:

Does cleaning the living room count?

To stand up straight with your shoulders back is to accept the terrible responsibility of life, with eyes wide open.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Recently saw a psychologist friend of mine share a bunch of JP's self-help material for kids.

The comments were very polarized, which was entertaining.

However, when one comment pointed out that JP is against trans folks my friend said he couldn't "find any evidence" of this.

What is the clearest example of JP being transphobic? I know he was against being required to use preferred pronouns, but I could see how someone could argue that's not directly transphobia.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Lol be prepared to be very disappointed by what you're going to find out about your friend's beliefs.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
he literally rose to fame by crusading against gender identity being a protected class against whom you legally cannot discriminate

like he and his cronies will spew a lot of nonsense about "compelled speech" but if you think that's worth entertaining for even a second, you need to not only reevaluate your friend, but yourself as well

E: to be clear, he literally wants canada to repeal the bill that says you can't discriminate against trans people, on the grounds of "freedom of speech"

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 16, 2021

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

If you like baby grand pianos, time-travel and amnesia, let me tell you - they are the loving bomb.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ihki posted:

I took a look at the eight pages of contributions you've put in, and I have my own speculations on how you had such difficulty reading my posts even when I was trying to dumb them down.

Oh the reason is I don't respect you enough to put in the effort to parse your terrible writing. I'm sure you have very intelligent and well thought-out ideas you want to convey but you've made it not worth putting in the effort for reasons I can't fathom and also don't really care about any more.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Basically booze but in pill form. Imagine if you could take two pills instead of six shots.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Protocol7 posted:

To stand up straight with your shoulders back is to accept the terrible responsibility of life, with eyes wide open.

Okay, but does it still count if I don't move the couches to clean under them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Lol be prepared to be very disappointed by what you're going to find out about your friend's beliefs.
Yep, OP spelled it out in their post. Your friend doesn't think JORP is transphobic because your friend doesn't think transphobia is transphobic. JOPRS just using facts and logic, facts and logic have no bias.