Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
dopesick should be a slam dunk and it's a topic I find compelling but it is so, so, so bad and that's disappointing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like it a lot and Michael Keaton is great

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Dopesick is great, the only really negative thing I can say about it is that the three timeslines can be confusing.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I guess part of the problem is being in the biz but my chief complaint would be how the characters are written as almost caricatures of people? With no subtlety whatsoever. I think the melodrama doesn't need to be ratcheted up to such degrees when dealing with a very real (and still present) issue

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I liked the first two episodes of Mayor of Kingstown. I should have seen Kyle Chandler's quick exit coming but it surprised me. and that lethal injection scene was hosed up

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, but that's a Barsanti review and he's an awful critic. Sepinwall was much more positive (but then again he's also never seen the original)

One thing that has been blatantly obvious from the moment this was announced was that the opinion of anyone who likes the anime should be ignored at all times.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This is generally true of anyone who struggles with adaptation fidelity.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the core complaint ive seen articulated well is that theres a lot of flattening of characters, and a constant desire to have characters look at the viewer and say "boy, isnt THIS guys name dumb??? whered they come up with that one???" and its offputting, when they could have just...adapted the material and treated it well. undercutting aspects of the setting constantly because youre worried people won't get it and turning random stuff into jokes at the expense of the setting rather than just existing int he setting and trusting the audience to come along for the ride. its particularly odd with bebop because many characters are just directly named for inspirations or homages happening in the show at large or the episode in specific, so to then turn around and be like "woah, weird!!!" at it...idk. leaves a bad taste.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

As I burn the sage and fill the haunted house with sacred smoke, I chant "ego te obsolvo, no homo, no homo..."

No ghosto

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mayor of Kingstown is getting savage reviews but I actually really like it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Mayor of Kingstown is getting savage reviews but I actually really like it.

They should have called it: 4 The Mare

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean it may or may not be any good but drat this show is nailing the casting.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1460661889550086145

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Party Down revival is official. Who knows how it'll turn out character and story wise but that was a ridiculous cast at the time so I'm sure it'll be worth it for a few more great episodes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They also didn't cast white people to play eskimos and tibetan monks

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

X-O posted:

I mean it may or may not be any good but drat this show is nailing the casting.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1460661889550086145

This is fantastic, he was my go to pick for this role going in.

The only bad thing, was this pretty much eliminated him from the Rangers of the New Republic Star Wars series which was in development.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Party Down revival is official. Who knows how it'll turn out character and story wise but that was a ridiculous cast at the time so I'm sure it'll be worth it for a few more great episodes.

I did check and the only cast member not coming back is Lizzy Caplan due to scheduling conflicts. I think Lizzy is great, but having the other 6 is going to make it easy not to miss her.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The Onion is made reality again.

https://www.theonion.com/fcc-chairman-overturns-decision-to-cancel-party-down-1819571614

EDIT:

It looks like most of the cast will return, minus Lizzy Caplan. But with both Jane Lynch and Megan Mullally, which is a plus.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok my wife just sent me this (she found it on Reddit) and I am not sure if it has been posted on here. If you have never seen the television interview with the 'yo-yo pro' watch it , the guy is a real energy vampire.

https://vimeo.com/11156270

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 16, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Ok my wife just sent me this (she found it on Redditt) and I am not sure if it has been posted on here. If you have never seen the television interview with the 'yo-yo pro' watch it , the guy is a real energy vampire.

https://vimeo.com/11156270

When he got cast on The Office, it really blew me away. I think it's the first time someone I discovered on the internet had crossed over into mainstream entertainment.

That being said, I think the role that's the most similar to his yo-yo guy energy is his fictional version of himself in On Cinema.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chairman Capone posted:

When he got cast on The Office, it really blew me away. I think it's the first time someone I discovered on the internet had crossed over into mainstream entertainment.

That being said, I think the role that's the most similar to his yo-yo guy energy is his fictional version of himself in On Cinema.

I never heard of On Cinema, but I am adding it to my list (looks to be a web series right?).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

nate fisher posted:

I did check and the only cast member not coming back is Lizzy Caplan due to scheduling conflicts. I think Lizzy is great, but having the other 6 is going to make it easy not to miss her.

Other way around. Get rid of Lynch and get Caplan back. Gonna pass on this even if I love Marino.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

nate fisher posted:

I never heard of On Cinema, but I am adding it to my list (looks to be a web series right?).

It is. Most of it is free on YouTube, but the newer seasons require a membership in the Hei Network. Which is fully worth it, by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RstvyVp2Ue8

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Teek posted:

The only bad thing, was this pretty much eliminated him from the Rangers of the New Republic Star Wars series which was in development.

That got :commissar: when Carano got the axe so it's just as well he missed it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chairman Capone posted:

It is. Most of it is free on YouTube, but the newer seasons require a membership in the Hei Network. Which is fully worth it, by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RstvyVp2Ue8

How many Hei Points is a subscription?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Seems like the right place for this so:
My mom is going to be staying with me for awhile while she recovers from some medical stuff. I’m trying to find stuff that we can watch together but it’s tough. Her big favorites are all stuff like grays anatomy, the various PD/FD copaganda stuff, and true crime murder, British murder shows, and tear-jerker feelings poo poo. I like sci-fi and action stuff. Both of us are willing to branch out a bit but I’m still trying to find some stuff for us to watch.

It can’t have brutal violence or too much “passionate” sex (even heavily implied where you don’t see anything). Bad language is fine.

It seems we do best with stuff with fairly intricate plots and lots of really good characters.

We’ve done (much to my surprise) Orphan Black, Broadchurch, and caught up with Succession. She bounced off Mr Robot after a few episodes.

Anyway suggestions are requested. I’m considering pitching Deadwood, the Expanse, Westworld, Whitechapel, and Boardwalk Empire.

Oh please goons help me with my boomer mom because A Million Little Things, Station 19, and The Rookie are gonna make me want to blow my head off by the time she goes home in the spring.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Boomer moms will love For All Mankind. And it has the space stuff for geeks too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Try Ozark maybe. Not the best show but it has enough things going for it that make it compelling. I don’t remember if it has much sex stuff, but I don’t think so?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Person of Interest starts out as a generic network procedural, very much like a "dad show," before becoming more serialized, twisty, and sci-fi.

Would she like LOST?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Have you or she watched Supernatural? It ticks a bunch of both of your boxes and is also 15 seasons long so you will have no shortage of content.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Since I'm never not recommending Halt And Catch Fire, add it to the list of suggestions

E: also Terriers

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

navyjack posted:

My mom is going to be staying with me for awhile while she recovers from some medical stuff. I’m trying to find stuff that we can watch together but it’s tough. Her big favorites are all stuff like grays anatomy, the various PD/FD copaganda stuff, and true crime murder, British murder shows, and tear-jerker feelings poo poo. I like sci-fi and action stuff. Both of us are willing to branch out a bit but I’m still trying to find some stuff for us to watch.

It can’t have brutal violence or too much “passionate” sex (even heavily implied where you don’t see anything). Bad language is fine.

It seems we do best with stuff with fairly intricate plots and lots of really good characters.

We’ve done (much to my surprise) Orphan Black, Broadchurch, and caught up with Succession. She bounced off Mr Robot after a few episodes.

Anyway suggestions are requested. I’m considering pitching Deadwood, the Expanse, Westworld, Whitechapel, and Boardwalk Empire.

Oh please goons help me with my boomer mom because A Million Little Things, Station 19, and The Rookie are gonna make me want to blow my head off by the time she goes home in the spring.

The Expanse is a good choice, especially with a new season coming out. My parents, who aren't big into sci fi stuff at all (well, my mom is, my step dad isn't) really enjoyed the expanse, and they also really liked The Mandalorian having only a very rudimentary knowledge of Star Wars. Assuming she hasn't seen it already, Tad Lasso is an easy choice. My mom also loved Agents of SHIELD, again with very little MCU knowledge (which is only mentioned in passing other than the whole Coulson thing). The first half season its a strict procedural, but then Captain America 2 events happen in show and it goes on a wild ride from there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'll never not recommend Psych

There's 11 seasons of taskmaster on YouTube

Longmire maybe.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Sirotan posted:

Have you or she watched Supernatural? It ticks a bunch of both of your boxes and is also 15 seasons long so you will have no shortage of content.

this is the one

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Person of Interest starts out as a generic network procedural, very much like a "dad show," before becoming more serialized, twisty, and sci-fi.

Would she like LOST?

My boomer parents love POI, as do I so that's my vote.

Of course they're also huge sci-fi nerds so might not be an ideal sample.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m sad Lizzy Caplan won’t be in the Party Down reboot, but the reason is because she snatched a lead role in the FX adaptation of Fleishman Is In Trouble, a fantastic book, so I think that makes up for it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

navyjack posted:

Only Murders in the Building. I really enjoyed it and wouldn't have tried it normally.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

navyjack posted:

Happy Valley would fit right in as the best of the british detective shows, but it is about (not depicted) rape so that might be a no-go for her.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

navyjack posted:

Her big favorites are all stuff like grays anatomy, the various PD/FD copaganda stuff, and true crime murder, British murder shows, and tear-jerker feelings poo poo. I like sci-fi and action stuff. Both of us are willing to branch out a bit but I’m still trying to find some stuff for us to watch.

Reiterating Person of Interest(hbomax), Only Murders(hulu) and Psych(prime). I'm guessing you'll be tempted to bounce off POI early while she'll like it. Stick it out, the journey of the writers smuggling technodystopian scifi onto CBS of all networks is worth it.

Alias (prime) toes the line on violence but is a decades old network show, to level set. Scandal (netflix) probably crosses it on both fronts (though if she's fine with greys and just leaves the room for Huck plots....)kidding, a bad idea. Veronica Mars (hulu) is a noir detective story masquerading as a teen drama.

Burn Notice (prime) feels like another one that ticks your boxes. Leverage (imdbtv/prime) and White Collar (hulu) are both lighter fare that should work well--though I'm genuinely unclear where the sexual situations line is drawn given Grey's and your thoughts of Westworld. Leverage will have less than White Collar, Matt Bomer Neal Cafferty Bryce Larkin fucks (in a basic cable kinda way).

I cannot stress enough that Once Upon a Time (disney+, I think?) is not good, but it wrings nearly every ounce of potential from its premise and if you can balance investing and mocking as you watch, will pay off. It's a soap crossed with Disney Fanfic. Also boomer catnip.

Chuck (prime) is mostly about not loving, so that should be safe. I love it, but definitely a tier beneath the other recommendations. Likewise Castle(hulu) and Lie to Me(hulu) are passable, mostly inoffensive procedurals. Arrow and Flash (netflix, with the rest of the arrowverse) have some detective/procedural bones to them, the latter with a less violent and lighter tone.

Hakkesshu posted:

Try Ozark maybe. Not the best show but it has enough things going for it that make it compelling. I don’t remember if it has much sex stuff, but I don’t think so?
There's a particularly uncomfortable to watch anal scene IIRC....

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I'd recommend The Good Wife - procedural adjacent, great characters, lots of feelings, and some incredibly tight writing. It starts to fall apart in its last two seasons (it unfortunately doesn't manage to stick the landing), but when it's at the height of its powers, it's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
You may be able to split your interests in the middle with HBO’s Watchmen which pretends to be copaganda but is actually subversive sci fi.

Also, based on your qualifiers about sex/violence: you’ve...uhhhhh...seen Deadwood, right?
:ohdear: