Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

jisforjosh posted:

For vehicle unlocks, a majority of them are straight upgrades and not trade-offs like in previous titles.
You get the repair in like one match and then the shotgun upgrade after that in the tank, so you should be fine in a like a couple of matches. I don't know about helis, but they are super powerful already so whatever, they should be able to grind it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I do have to say, some of these breakthrough point placements are very silly. The rooftop ones on Orbital and Kaleidoscope are functionally impossible to capture for the attackers.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

After further testing with solo bot matches the first 10-20 kills on a weapon or vehicle does count for unlocks but after that they do not. All XP does count towards leveling.

So what you should do is start a solo bot breakthrough map and get the max kills on every vehicle and weapon. The bots at lowest AI setting are incredibly easy so you can at least get a headstart on everything. 10 kills on each weapon against actual people would take a lot of games so it at least gives you a bit of a boost.

And if you just want to level and not worry about weapon unlocks all your XP counts and you can get a ton every match.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Still trying to guess whether it makes more sense to buy this game or subscribe to EA Play Pro for a month or two. There's not a whole lot of other releases in the next few months... if there were, it would be easier to just pay $15 for a month.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

D-Pad posted:

After further testing with solo bot matches the first 10-20 kills on a weapon or vehicle does count for unlocks but after that they do not. All XP does count towards leveling.

So what you should do is start a solo bot breakthrough map and get the max kills on every vehicle and weapon. The bots at lowest AI setting are incredibly easy so you can at least get a headstart on everything. 10 kills on each weapon against actual people would take a lot of games so it at least gives you a bit of a boost.

And if you just want to level and not worry about weapon unlocks all your XP counts and you can get a ton every match.

This seems super boring but I guess it would be handy to at least get a red dot so you don't have to iron sights for a game vs people. Most weapons are fine stock other than the obvious AR issues right now.

Do bots fly choppers on the harder difficulties? It would be nice for jet unlocks since those are vehicle kills I think.

https://twitter.com/BattlefieldComm/status/1460692001352036355?t=GQwHAkcVGWCe4_8gpuu_Bw&s=19

RIP my easy XP! I hope they re enable them today. It's fun tossing one of those on a busy area and watch the assists come in.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 16, 2021

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Ah, glad that the rubber banding was a known issue. It was getting bad today.

Trip report on the new Nvidia drivers that dropped: Much better than the last set of drivers (that dropped me 30 or so FPS), and slightly better than the drivers before that.

Elerion posted:

It's weird as gently caress to me that people think being able to make clips of uncommon bugs like this somehow makes the game's launch comparable to BF4, which literally crashed multiple times per session for almost everyone.

Flashbacks to people screaming in chat "Don't bring the skyscraper down" on Shanghai because it would usually crash the whole server.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
https://twitter.com/Battlefiel2042/status/1460567738859106307?t=TiN7y1jYa1giB39Az5Reiw&s=19

I feel like they must be confident in the new Nvidia drivers and the day 1 patch if they are sharing memes at their own expense. Or maybe they just decided to embrace it!

Edit:FAKE!

DrBox fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 16, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

DrBox posted:

https://twitter.com/Battlefiel2042/status/1460567738859106307?t=TiN7y1jYa1giB39Az5Reiw&s=19

I feel like they must be confident in the new Nvidia drivers and the day 1 patch if they are sharing memes at their own expense. Or maybe they just decided to embrace it!

Double check the account name on that tweet

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

jisforjosh posted:

Double check the account name on that tweet

They got me! I'm a sucker.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Why don’t bullets work in this game, I lit a guy up with an entire magazine only to have him turn around and kill me. I know I was hitting him cause I was getting blood shot out of him.

Like, if guns don’t work in your shooter, you should probably delay the game as that seems pretty critical to me.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Lord Packinham posted:

Why don’t bullets work in this game, I lit a guy up with an entire magazine only to have him turn around and kill me. I know I was hitting him cause I was getting blood shot out of him.

Like, if guns don’t work in your shooter, you should probably delay the game as that seems pretty critical to me.

ARs don't count as guns in BF2042, only snipers and SMGs hth

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Chad Sexington posted:

ARs don't count as guns in BF2042, only snipers and SMGs hth

Shotgun feels good! At close range you just delete people. Really have to pick where you fight though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The rise of cope posting is basically the kiss of death

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
SMGs being.... ARs with high ROF and little if any damage drop off over range is just the funniest thing. What a ludicrous oversight, what a stupid drat thing like... wow.

The small arms broadly are seriously hosed in the balance department, nothing works like it should.

edit: Shotguns do have delightful range tho.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Perestroika posted:

I do have to say, some of these breakthrough point placements are very silly. The rooftop ones on Orbital and Kaleidoscope are functionally impossible to capture for the attackers.

Yeah I was saying this a few pages ago and someone pointed out that the game was probably tested with coordinated squads playing. You could probably win it by dropping people out of choppers and coordinating strikes on the roof, but once you fill the game with random idiots it just amounts to everyone having to use the elevators with the defenders camping them, while the helicopters are flying around half way across the map. I have not once seen the attackers win on those levels and those points always drag the round out to way longer than it needs to be. You could be dominating the defenders and you will still lose. it'll just make it so that one capture point lasts 20 minutes. It's incredibly poorly thought out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sedisp posted:

The smart rockets aka the rockets you just farm some bots in breakthrough until you get the at rockets only lock if they were close to hitting your target but juuuuust miss.

So the first rockets (I think the second only lock onto air vehicles?) will just become more accurate once you've locked on?

DrBox posted:

Yep! I spent a good part of last night with a full squad in a hovercraft. Beer in one hand, mouse in the other shooting the grenade launcher. It definitely needs a nerf.

I feel like it's currently possible to counter it and people just haven't really learned how yet (or realized the importance of it). If a couple people have RPGs and decide to kill a hovercraft, they can usually take you down. It's just that they usually don't (and most players don't seem to have internalized how much of a threat hovercrafts are yet; I think they still treat them like jeeps or something and will prioritize other vehicles).

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

The only times I've lost a heli are not coming out of a dive fast enough and hitting a building, landing awkwardly and rolling over, or getting shot by 2-3 rockets rapidly.

Apaches get 1-shot by RPGs (even from full health), so I've died some due to getting too close to the ground and someone rocketing me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also is it just me, or does this game just constantly unequip poo poo randomly for everyone. I'll set a skin, vehicle ability etc. and *poof* it's just magically unequipped out of nowhere.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

veni veni veni posted:

Also is it just me, or does this game just constantly unequip poo poo randomly for everyone. I'll set a skin, vehicle ability etc. and *poof* it's just magically unequipped out of nowhere.

Yes. Falk refuses to keep her helmet on.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like it's currently possible to counter it and people just haven't really learned how yet (or realized the importance of it). If a couple people have RPGs and decide to kill a hovercraft, they can usually take you down. It's just that they usually don't (and most players don't seem to have internalized how much of a threat hovercrafts are yet; I think they still treat them like jeeps or something and will prioritize other vehicles).

I think more people need to make use of Rao or the EMP grenades. But even still the hovers have too much health.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 16, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also if I add gun attachments via the main menu once I am in game the gun will have no attachments equipped lol.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

to deal with choppers

1) have 2 ppl with stingers
2) make chopper burn countermeasure
3) if chopper doesn't line of sight you or get out of range ASAP it dies

this is really easy with angel or squad beacons

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lord Packinham posted:

https://twitter.com/NickelBF/status/1460494154832699393

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

comedyblissoption posted:

to deal with choppers

1) have 2 ppl with stingers
2) make chopper burn countermeasure
3) if chopper doesn't line of sight you or get out of range ASAP it dies

this is really easy with angel or squad beacons

Sundance's anti armor grenades are great for making choppers pop flares too.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I was saying this a few pages ago and someone pointed out that the game was probably tested with coordinated squads playing. You could probably win it by dropping people out of choppers and coordinating strikes on the roof, but once you fill the game with random idiots it just amounts to everyone having to use the elevators with the defenders camping them, while the helicopters are flying around half way across the map. I have not once seen the attackers win on those levels and those points always drag the round out to way longer than it needs to be. You could be dominating the defenders and you will still lose. it'll just make it so that one capture point lasts 20 minutes. It's incredibly poorly thought out.

Even with coordinated squad assaults it's borderline hopeless. Any helicopter closing in will be faced with a dozen AA missiles, and shielded elevator assault will be blown up by grenades and rockets. Really the best success we had was by taking hovercrafts and driving them up the sides of the building (which is hilarious), but even that was stymied fairly quickly.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

veni veni veni posted:

Also if I add gun attachments via the main menu once I am in game the gun will have no attachments equipped lol.

The attachments in the plus menu closest to the center are the ones equipped by default. Make sure your favorites are first in the menu.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Man is it just me or is there a serious difference in maneuverability between the rus Hind and the US VTOL?

Seems like VTOL is always a sitting duck and super easy to kill, whereas a hind can zip out of any bad situation with 0 trouble.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Nobody told this guy that like every shooter has hotboxes that are basically the size and shape of a fridge, regardless of character model.

Obvs there are exceptions but battlefield isn't meant to be an esport or whatever

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DrBox posted:

The attachments in the plus menu closest to the center are the ones equipped by default. Make sure your favorites are first in the menu.

I know. I mean that I will have 3 attachments equipped in each slot from the main menu, and then once I am in game there will be nothing equipped at all. If I do it in game (well, at the respawn screen) they will stay equipped.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Nobody told this guy that like every shooter has hotboxes that are basically the size and shape of a fridge, regardless of character model.

Obvs there are exceptions but battlefield isn't meant to be an esport or whatever

I'm with you on the first one but that second one is totally broken. They are shooting her straight in the chest without a single bullet landing

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hot Diggity! posted:

God it's so funny when you are able to throw a C4 drone on a highly contested point

People don't ever notice the drone, it's hilarious. I buzzed one into the stadium on Hourglass, literally had it hovering in front of several enemy faces and they didn't do poo poo until they exploded. Only thing that even tried to shoot at it was a Ranger nearby.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I'm with you on the first one but that second one is totally broken. They are shooting her straight in the chest without a single bullet landing

Yeah that poo poo is def hosed

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Man is it just me or is there a serious difference in maneuverability between the rus Hind and the US VTOL?

Seems like VTOL is always a sitting duck and super easy to kill, whereas a hind can zip out of any bad situation with 0 trouble.

Yeah, that checks out. The VTOL seems to have much worse acceleration in all directions while in hover mode, making it harder to weave around cover near your objective. Of course, then again it can just enter jet mode and zoom away real quick whenever it wants. I've even outrun a missile once or twice that way I think.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Perestroika posted:

They should change it so the defenders have to defend the point but also the building itself. Yes, the attackers should be able to destroy the building and then capture the rubble. Levolution is back baby!

e: or have the tornado spawn on the point every single time. Throw those defenders around for a bit

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ironically a big mass of individual idiots who can’t communicate trying to take the tower works sometimes because it’s being defended by the same, I’ve taken the towers multiple times by just…taking the elevator up and dropping a spawn beacon, then someone else does the same and two squads is enough because 90% of the enemies who spawn just zip line way and nobody seems to care about objectives about 50% of the time

When it’s anything less than that they’re impossible though, it’s absolutely bad game design, just like literally everything else about this game

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
They increased the starting tickets and tickets added for sector capture. Not sure that'll help with some of the tougher cap points, but it'll let you try for longer!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DrBox posted:

They increased the starting tickets and tickets added for sector capture. Not sure that'll help with some of the tougher cap points, but it'll let you try for longer!

I've had twelve minute matches in break through and those feel kinda bad.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, that checks out. The VTOL seems to have much worse acceleration in all directions while in hover mode, making it harder to weave around cover near your objective. Of course, then again it can just enter jet mode and zoom away real quick whenever it wants. I've even outrun a missile once or twice that way I think.

Ah poo poo there's a jet mode?!

Is there a way to control which side you spawn as while playing solo? The game only ever put me as rus so I never practiced VTOL flying

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

So the first rockets (I think the second only lock onto air vehicles?) will just become more accurate once you've locked on?

They lock on once theyve deteced a vehicle close to them. They're like magnetic missiles as opposed to lock ons.

D-Pad posted:

Its around forty sometimes 60 depending on vehicle. I think it's based on the mastery levels but who loving knows tbh.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's pretty interesting they can make all sorts of changes to the game with no patching, I wonder if that means they can do gun balance whenever they want as well. If so, please fix ARs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Rusty posted:

It's pretty interesting they can make all sorts of changes to the game with no patching, I wonder if that means they can do gun balance whenever they want as well. If so, please fix ARs.

Patches depend on whether the problem is client side or server side. Client side changes usually require patches, but I guess it's conceivable dice did something to get around that (but I doubt it)