Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Brock Samson posted:

I’m…. worried. And Jet has a daughter now??

In 2021, media has become all dads and daddy issues. I don't have a problem with that though, seems a natural wrinkle to add with the cast being older and more weathered live action, vs in anime where 25 is naturally old and world-weary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

This is atrocious dialogue. Faye in particular seems like she's been written as an incredibly generic Whedon-esque tough girl.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Faye scene looks like a network sitcom.

Spike and Jet scene looks like a CW show.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Can't wait for the Watch 2: space boogaloo

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

it doesn't really matter how good or bad it is--it shouldn't be watched because making live-action remakes of perfectly good animated properties is behavior that shouldn't be rewarded.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You can watch both too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
This is gonna be the Foundation thread all over again, isn’t it?
:smith:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
No, cause it's a Netflix show so the people who don't like it won't keep coming back week after week to complain about the same stuff over and over.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No, cause it's a Netflix show so the people who don't like it won't keep coming back week after week to complain about the same stuff over and over.

Where can I find your level of faith in the userbase of this site (and the internet in general)?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not fair to judge a show based on some 1 minute clip but it is concerning that they decided to share those specific clips and not anything else. Still holding out hope since the two trailers were solid.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/KaelanRamos/status/1461411887074193416

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not fair to judge a show based on some 1 minute clip but it is concerning that they decided to share those specific clips and not anything else. Still holding out hope since the two trailers were solid.
Here have some more brilliant dialogue
https://twitter.com/KaelanRamos/status/1461452588428234755

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Always wanted to know if Jet likes bidets, changed my mind show of the year

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
that clip was honestly fun

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

yeah actually. I was prepared for the worst but that diner scene was enjoyable. Maybe the whole show is like that and abandons the deeper or darker or melancholic parts of bebop and at worst i'll just pretend someone copied the original and this is an unrelated show. Nothing can tarnish the original anime so I don't give a poo poo, long as its entertaining.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Soundtrack is out.
https://open.spotify.com/album/539jKDvQomLMWGBEkjyTWX

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Yeah, it was. The original show had lots of sitcom bickering, random weirdoes, silly interjections on TV interacting with the plot, and jokes that dragged out way too long. It wasn't all curling smoke and meaningful grunts as people reflected on the weight of their inescapable pasts.

Here's the thing for me. I want the live-action show to be different than the anime. Even if it reprises the same plots, and especially if it reprises the same plots. I want weight and time shifted to different forms of character interaction based on the medium and cast dynamics. And I'm happy the show has updated its LGBT attitudes since the 1990s, just like it did with Faye's wardrobe. And I'm happy to extend that to other things. Even if the technology and setting looks and acts the same at a glance, since science fiction is always a window into modern society, I want that to more reflect thoughts and concerns of today's perspective than those of 20 years ago. If the writing feels like modern comedy-drama rather than 1990s, that stands to reason. The latest Word updates seem to crash a lot more. But at least they're better at reopening your documents right where you left them.

I have the anime, I can watch it whenever I want, and I don't gain anything from "the same thing but performed by meat." I embrace change as long as it's fun on its own merits, and doesn't use the name while totally hiding from what the original was.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Qmass posted:

yeah actually. I was prepared for the worst but that diner scene was enjoyable. Maybe the whole show is like that and abandons the deeper or darker or melancholic parts of bebop and at worst i'll just pretend someone copied the original and this is an unrelated show. Nothing can tarnish the original anime so I don't give a poo poo, long as its entertaining.

?????

???????????

??????????????????????????????????????

please, have higher standards.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, it was. The original show had lots of sitcom bickering, random weirdoes, silly interjections on TV interacting with the plot, and jokes that dragged out way too long. It wasn't all curling smoke and meaningful grunts as people reflected on the weight of their inescapable pasts.

Here's the thing for me. I want the live-action show to be different than the anime. Even if it reprises the same plots, and especially if it reprises the same plots. I want weight and time shifted to different forms of character interaction based on the medium and cast dynamics. And I'm happy the show has updated its LGBT attitudes since the 1990s, just like it did with Faye's wardrobe. And I'm happy to extend that to other things. Even if the technology and setting looks and acts the same at a glance, since science fiction is always a window into modern society, I want that to more reflect thoughts and concerns of today's perspective than those of 20 years ago. If the writing feels like modern comedy-drama rather than 1990s, that stands to reason. The latest Word updates seem to crash a lot more. But at least they're better at reopening your documents right where you left them.

I have the anime, I can watch it whenever I want, and I don't gain anything from "the same thing but performed by meat." I embrace change as long as it's fun on its own merits, and doesn't use the name while totally hiding from what the original was.

I love “the same thing but performed by meat,” and I’m going to use it.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

imagining the twitter poster ranting about how bebop has been despoiled by awkward, pointless dialogue about bell peppers with beef

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It really can't be said enough that this show, good or bad, will not make the original not exist. Derivative work does not destroy the original, and it's going to be fine. This also doesn't exclude future efforts at the same thing, look at how many adaptations of Sherlock there are.

Lowering my expectations of it being amazing based on the footage shown, but still looks watchable at least. Agree that the dialogue is missing the natural feel of the original, which is a shame cause the actors seem really well cast.

tokin opposition posted:

??????????????????????????????????????

please, have higher standards.

mmm yes *swiggles wine*. These peasant swines who are enjoying something. Pshaw, the thought!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The World Inferno posted:

It really can't be said enough that this show, good or bad, will not make the original not exist. Derivative work does not destroy the original, and it's going to be fine. This also doesn't exclude future efforts at the same thing, look at how many adaptations of Sherlock there are.

Lowering my expectations of it being amazing based on the footage shown, but still looks watchable at least. Agree that the dialogue is missing the natural feel of the original, which is a shame cause the actors seem really well cast.

mmm yes *swiggles wine*. These peasant swines who are enjoying something. Pshaw, the thought!

enjoy your nutbags, swine

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

enjoy your nutbags, swine

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

the people who don't like it won't keep coming back week after week to complain about the same stuff over and over.

*Pulls out stopwatch* Aaaaaaand... Go!

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Cowboy BeBad

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

aww gently caress, dat slide guitar

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

more like cosplay bebop

edit: the first rose flaskback was terrible and the first scene was bad because they wasted one of the coolest film intros ever from the bebop movie but the show still might be entertaining enough to watch I dunno - but I'm gonna pretend its not cowboy bebop and is just a netflix scifi show.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Really enjoyed the first episode, excellent visual effects, a few more chuckles than I expected, feels like a retelling of the anime more than a re-treading, yeah its good, John Cho is better Spike than my first impressions suggested

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Big Shots are in!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the problem with this show is that I can't unsee cowboy bebop and it is distracting watching artless copies of scenes with all the poignancy torn out

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I watched the first episode and it's exactly the kind of stylish camp I wanted. It cribs a lot from the anime but also does its own thing. I ain't mad.

The complaints I've read remind me of when everyone bitched that The Witcher felt like a high-budget Xena, except that having a high-budget Xena based on The Witcher loving rules.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm gonna do it... I'm gonna watch the bad show

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
3 eps down; I'm liking it fine so far. There are spots of cringe dialogue but as I expected it's nowhere near as prominent as people were insinuating. I also don't mind the extended Spike/Vicious/Julia backstory, but that said Vicious is extremely goofy even factoring in the deliberate camp that's going on.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I'm 8 minutes into the first episode and I'm onboard.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
theres no way im watching 10 hours of this poo poo.

read the recap thats out already and lold my rear end off

this thread is gonna be god tier. i can tell :cheers:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

First episode was starting to drag and I realized this is an hour long show now. Not sure how I feel about that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The dialogue in every trailer I've seen for this sounds like it was written by a guy chucked out of the Avengers writing room for being too cringe, I shall not be watching

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Liked the first episode a lot more than expected. So far the wacky dialogue isn't being used to undercut drama like in Marvel stuff... I'm not exactly LOLing at most of the jokes but they're mostly character- and relationship-building, just like in the anime.

Surprised at how ripped Cho is, he's fitting the part just fine for me. I'm down to view this not as primarily a martial arts show; it's a lot like Dune, where you have all these other insane sci-fi requirements and it's just genuinely not feasible to also make it a top tier Kung Fu movie. Like, anime Spike is basically Better Than Bruce Lee, and I'm ok with them deciding to focus more on overall visuals along with fight scenes that heavily emphasize certain shots/moves at the expense of an overall believable (and insanely difficult) martial arts scene. Characters definitely seemed to teleport a lot, like there's a fair bit of cheating going on in terms of the physical space... but I'm just ok with it so far.

I think my main concern is Faye. I absolutely get the need to tweak her, but the Thor 2 mentions planted a seed in my brain and now I can't stop feeling like her character has been turned into generic Kat Dennings Type Person. Down to see how it progresses but I found that to be a real problem that's very separate from "cringe Marvel jokes."

Edit: also I like that they're not shying away at all from the Cowboy Bebop world being extremely brutal, people being accustomed to death and violence, etc... Some of the Marvel-ish dialogue actually works for me specifically because it's not being used to sanitize the violence but rather to draw attention to how weird these people's lives are.

Martman fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 19, 2021

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

If you liked that, you'll love this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNK4VKeoBM

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Qmass posted:

more like cosplay bebop

edit: the first rose flaskback was terrible and the first scene was bad because they wasted one of the coolest film intros ever from the bebop movie but the show still might be entertaining enough to watch I dunno - but I'm gonna pretend its not cowboy bebop and is just a netflix scifi show.

I mean, given where the movie's meant to be in the series continuity, it was kind of atypical for Spike to be so callous about innocent bystanders given his character development. Having it be at the start of the series make sense from that perspective.

Having watched the first episode, I'm liking it so far.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Space Seinfeld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Watched two episodes, loved it. Original Bebop was great, but this uses the longer runtime to hit slightly different vibes and imo to be more entertaining right from the start. I love the original series, but I didn't really start loving it until episode 5. This is cheesy dumb oldschool fun and Big Shot reminds me so much of lovely children's TV editing that I can't help but enjoy it. The worst parts are when they try to more directly ape the original, like Asimov's Red Eye fight scene.

That and the complaints over the dull brown colour palette were dumb - they only did that for Tijuana, and it kinda made sense there. There's a larger variety of colour palettes in the show.