Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

the wot author has this amazing ability to just not have anything happen but somehow make it seem like something is happening

its bascially perfect for Ponderous Prestige TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FMguru posted:

https://twitter.com/NussbaumAbigail/status/1461753120053202955

$10m/episode fantasy show full of off-the-rack poo poo from bed bath & beyond lmao

they spent all that money on blow

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

WoT is the one where each book covers about as much time as a single chapter in the previous book right?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bump_fn posted:

this is one of the best openings to a 90s action movie there is
its one of my favorite terrible movies of all time

"head or gut?"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sweevo posted:

WoT is the one where each book covers about as much time as a single chapter in the previous book right?

i was like halfway through the third one when i realized that nothing had actually happened in like 300 pages so i bailed

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MrQueasy posted:

Is the WoT series at least a little campy and fun like The Witcher, or is it just Ponderous Prestige Television.

Also, I'm interested to see how it compares to HBO/Showtime for obligatory gratuitous nudity. (which I fully acknowledge can be its own reward for some people, but sometimes it's just too obvious and my demi/ace self just gets uncomfortable.)
it’s trying to walk a line but is trending on the side of dour slog

I think the only nudity in the first 3 episodes is some dude butt

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Sweevo posted:

The series is asymptotic in regards to time. I think it's Crossroads of Twilight that's literally one day for 800 pages.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

when i first heard of it, it was already like 8+ books and its literally called "the wheel of time"

thats like calling it "the days of our lives"

who in their right mind would begin reading that? it sounds exhausting and pointless

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaECLaNthq8

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Sisslethecat/status/1461768700680450049

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao that is spot on

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/venusianheaven/status/1461130359496658946

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lmao on that tetris ad and those uniforms

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

https://twitter.com/Fire_Voyager/status/1461140148574380033

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

riverdale is so good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

narrator: "a hand in the bird's nest"

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Endless Mike posted:

police squad! is so good

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1258961332231168002

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

https://twitter.com/NussbaumAbigail/status/1461753120053202955

$10m/episode fantasy show full of off-the-rack poo poo from bed bath & beyond lmao
It's obviously an Amazon Basics horse blanket, silly.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

i was like halfway through the third one when i realized that nothing had actually happened in like 300 pages so i bailed

i slogged through the first book, just so that i could say i gave it a real try, as i have a couple of friends who are big wheel of time fans

i told one of my other fantasy-loving friends about how i found the book so ponderous and slow, and he laughed and said "that's funny, most people regard it as the fastest book of the series." i have never regretted not reading any more of the books.

(especially as my surface-level impression of the ending to the first book was "congrats, you're the kwisatz haderach!" and thinking lol this is how he ends the book? really??)

qirex posted:

it's been a good while since i read that book but my recollection is that it's... substantially more wholesome than game of thrones. so i wouldn't go in expecting much nudity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they requisitioned a handmade horse blanket from the warehouse, go figure. they're lucky it was a horse blanket at all

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
as much as robert jordan deserves to be ribbed for his books grinding to a screaming halt midway through the series, he's still no peter loving hamilton. at least none of the wheel of time books managed to nearly be individually as long as the entire lord of the rings trilogy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
he didn't miss by that much, the longest WOT book is just over 1000 pages while all of LOTR is about 1300

total page count for the entire WOT series is over 11K

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
the WoT tv show is Extremely Serious and full of itself (more so than Foundation), going to be hard to watch. on the other hand the multi ethnic casting will be an infinite schadenfreude machine.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
can someone report on the number of braid pulls, skirt smooths, and arm folds performed by each character in descending order by height? my favorite parts of the books tbh.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

the WoT tv show is Extremely Serious and full of itself (more so than Foundation), going to be hard to watch. on the other hand the multi ethnic casting will be an infinite schadenfreude machine.

im super looking forward to the sandman lmao

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

haveblue posted:

he didn't miss by that much, the longest WOT book is just over 1000 pages while all of LOTR is about 1300

total page count for the entire WOT series is over 11K

word count is better to go off of than page count IMO

been a while since i went looking - this is a source i found just now: https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-longest-sff-novels-of-all-time.html

LOTR is about 470k
the longest wheel of time book is supposedly Lord of Chaos at about 395k - that's a substantial difference, you could fit Dune Messiah into that gap

meanwhile peter loving hamilton's The Naked God clocks in at 469k words - and that's just one part of a trilogy!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

It is tsrnished by the chuddiness of the zucker brothers (not out of left field tho) and it's completely bullshit take on ska

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i told one of my other fantasy-loving friends about how i found the book so ponderous and slow, and he laughed and said "that's funny, most people regard it as the fastest book of the series." i have never regretted not reading any more of the books.
the giant extruded fantasy series i noped out on was malazan book of the fallen. i had friends pitch it hard to me, i powered my way through the first giant book, found it very mediocre and disjointed, and when i reported that to my friends they came back with "oh yeah its a rough start but it all starts pulling together around the end of book three!" (note that the end of book three is 2850 pages distant from the start of book one)

yeah, bailed on that right then and there

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

huh, i would've guessed that they'd start off right away hanging Lan dong between "arms crossed under breasts" scenes

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

It is tsrnished by the chuddiness of the zucker brothers (not out of left field tho) and it's completely bullshit take on ska

oh no

oh no :(

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FMguru posted:

the giant extruded fantasy series i noped out on was malazan book of the fallen. i had friends pitch it hard to me, i powered my way through the first giant book, found it very mediocre and disjointed, and when i reported that to my friends they came back with "oh yeah its a rough start but it all starts pulling together around the end of book three!" (note that the end of book three is 2850 pages distant from the start of book one)

The first book is the weakest. The story was kind of eh until the 2nd book which is what really got me. I read 3-4, and then stopped after 5 as I felt like the story was getting boring.

I think the big issue with books like that are there are too many characters and plotlines and it becomes difficult to keep track of everything. Steven Erikson is also a very tedious writer, which makes reading the series even worse.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

psiox posted:

oh no

oh no :(

I'm afraid so

But like I said you can kinda see the signs if you look bsck

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bebop ep1 not THAT BAD but i knew what i was getting into.

7/10 if you're ok with a lot more wisecracking. This will prrrrobably go down as i get into it (yes ive seen the ed clip)

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

don’t think you watched the same show as I did? apart from the opening credits scene I don’t get prestige tv series vibes at all. I thought it was really good, not grimdark like GoT, didn’t add weird marvel style humour, feels faithful to the books but also changes it to feel like an adaptation designed for television instead of just a word for word book retelling. casting seems overall great.

feels like a well put together show that is the level below prestige drama in terms of vibe which is great as I’m sick of prestige drama and all it’s tropes

matti
Mar 31, 2019

SmokaDustbowl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmxWHMIbUWM

action movies used to have the craziest poo poo all the time

i remember this justice music video

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

even as a fantasy devouring teen I was like "nope" on WoT, especially after I read some theory that the books were all angled so that you could lay them out in a wheel which would need there to be like 240 of them or something ridiculous like that.

didn't they make a terrible RPG/mmo at some point as well?

FMguru posted:

I love these, but it helps that I got in on the ground floor before there were 10 to read. Also, and I say this as a fan of them, towards the end Erikson clearly got a bit more free reign and less editing so they get longer and longer and lose a lot of the plot focus of the first 3 or 4.

also there's a bit with lizard men carrying Tesla guns or something idk wtf he was on when he wrote that.

but, the companion ones by Ian Esslemont are a lot more tightly plotted and paced and are worth it.

nobody should try reading Erikson's Karkanas trilogy though, that's literally 1000 pages of emo whinging by the dark elves tiste andii

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

a neat thing with the Malazan is that the first five books can each be read independently (even if some secondary characters are shared) so if you don't like the first book, you can stop there, with no sunk-cost fallacy. the last five books tell a single story, though.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

but, the companion ones by Ian Esslemont are a lot more tightly plotted and paced and are worth it.
I have avoided the Esslemont books, cause I figured they were simply piggybacking on the main series' success and not as good. but now, I might give them a try. I read the Erikson books ages ago and only have the faintest memories of them, would it be an issue?

Bourricot fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 20, 2021

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Bourricot posted:

I have avoided the Esslemont books, cause I figured they were simply piggybacking on the main series' success and not as good. but now, I might give them a try. I read the Erikson books ages ago and only have the faintest memories of them, would it be an issue?

they overlap with some of the main ones but then start to diverge a bit, then go back and fill in some of the events prior to the first Erikson one.

they vary a bit in tone iirc, I get the impression that of the two writers (who created the universe together), Esslemont is a lot less prone to writing 50 pages of some guy lamenting the past and using the word "potsherds"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/isabelzawtun/status/1461060788165173248