Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

I thought I had a pretty firm grasp on zone of control; these forts were not off, how is the AI able to just sail over the fort at Trencin and straight on into Pest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
How do you get army professionalism? I swear I keep my troops drilling whenever they are not at war, hire generals instead of using my ruler or heir, take the +professionalism option in every event, as well as the decisions, and by endgame I am often lucky to be halfway up the bar.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Sephyr posted:

How do you get army professionalism? I swear I keep my troops drilling whenever they are not at war, hire generals instead of using my ruler or heir, take the +professionalism option in every event, as well as the decisions, and by endgame I am often lucky to be halfway up the bar.

Get cheaper general modifiers and hire a lot basically. And dont hire mercs

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ahhh, it's mercs. My first war with the Ottos devastated my manpower, so after that I was hiring at least 2 companies for every war of note and tossing them at the thickest fighting.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Mercs wreck professionalism by lowering it a massive -5% per group.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mr. Grinch posted:

I thought I had a pretty firm grasp on zone of control; these forts were not off, how is the AI able to just sail over the fort at Trencin and straight on into Pest?

hard to say with no context but i would guess the army's return province (the last non-zoc province it came from) is involved

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rycalawre posted:

Think Im going to have to give up on an African Power run, got 90% of Africa and I'm #1 world power, its 1690ish but I just can't be bothered to fight either Ottomans or Spain for the remaining provinces. Ottomans having like 500k troops as they took quantity ideas that they're able to perfectly split, merge and micromanage across like 80 different armies across 3 different fronts is just pure tedium, in order to take like 6 wasteland provinces in northern egypt totalling perhaps 0.5% of their total development I need about 85% warscore, requiring me to defeat in detail enormous armies while also sieging perhaps 400 provinces. I always enjoy this game for about the first 150 years or so max. Find it ridiculous how theres a force limit and a general limit but not an army limit.

there are ways to scrape provinces off of GPs without fully beating them. provoke them into a coalition with some small tags and then beat the hell out of the small tags while just sieging the ottoman african provinces, the ottomans will almost certainly get bogged down in ethiopia instead of directly confronting you. you should be able to outrace the coalition in warscore and pry some egyptian provinces out in the peace deal. just do that a few times and you'll have it

spain on the other hand is usually a paper tiger in the late 1600s and 1700s. wait for them to get into it with france or whatever and then beat them down.

i agree that things get really slow starting around 1660 and i wish they could figure out a way to make it not be, but you can probably get african power within 30 years without really committing to any hellwars

Rynoto posted:

Mercs wreck professionalism by lowering it a massive -5% per group.

i really don't understand what role mercs are supposed to play in the average campaign anymore, beyond the first 50 years max. the cost scaling is ridiculous and yeah, every group you hire is 250 mil worth of general-derived professionalism before you factor in general cost modifiers. the old system was ridiculously pro-merc but the new one is just as bad in the opposite direction

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 20, 2021

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Grinch posted:

Two things, I think, either of which would be sufficient on their own. 1. You can move up to two provinces away from your return province, which lets the AI reach Spis. Then they can move to Pest, since you can always move to an adjacent fort. 2. Nowy Sacz isn't in the zone of control of Trencin, since forts don't projects zones of control over borders.

e: I re-checked the rules, and to be more specific, you can always move to an adjacent (e2: non-neutral) fort unless you're already on a hostile fort and the fort you want to move to isn't the return province or directly adjacent to it. So almost always, but not actually always. And occupied forts can project a ZoC into the occupier's owned provinces, so "forts don't projects zones of control over borders" isn't always true either.

e3: With your current borders, I'm pretty sure the Trencin fort is completely redundant for you as long as you hold the fort at Pest.

e4: I seem to have misremembered how the distance from return province rule works. The target province needs to be the return province, adjacent to the return province, or adjacent to a non-ZoC province adjacent to the return province. I didn't remember the italicized part. So if you owned Nowy Sacz, the return province would be e.g. Tarnow, and Spis would be inaccessible because Nowy Sacz would be in a ZoC. However in actuality the army is only entering a ZoC in Spis, so obviously it can move there. (And then it can move to the adjacent fort in Pest, since there is no fort in Spis.)

Staltran fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 20, 2021

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Not really sure what the confusion is about. Denmark is walking from a province with no ZOC to a province in Pest's ZOC and then to Pest.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Staltran posted:

Two things, I think, either of which would be sufficient on their own. 1. You can move up to two provinces away from your return province, which lets the AI reach Spis. Then they can move to Pest, since you can always move to an adjacent fort. 2. Nowy Sacz isn't in the zone of control of Trencin, since forts don't projects zones of control over borders.

e: I re-checked the rules, and to be more specific, you can always move to an adjacent (e2: non-neutral) fort unless you're already on a hostile fort and the fort you want to move to isn't the return province or directly adjacent to it. So almost always, but not actually always. And occupied forts can project a ZoC into the occupier's owned provinces, so "forts don't projects zones of control over borders" isn't always true either.

e3: With your current borders, I'm pretty sure the Trencin fort is completely redundant for you as long as you hold the fort at Pest.

e4: I seem to have misremembered how the distance from return province rule works. The target province needs to be the return province, adjacent to the return province, or adjacent to a non-ZoC province adjacent to the return province. I didn't remember the italicized part. So if you owned Nowy Sacz, the return province would be e.g. Tarnow, and Spis would be inaccessible because Nowy Sacz would be in a ZoC. However in actuality the army is only entering a ZoC in Spis, so obviously it can move there. (And then it can move to the adjacent fort in Pest, since there is no fort in Spis.)

ahh okay so if I delete the fort at Pest that wall of ZoC will function the way I anticipated. I remember thinking I needed to build forts such that their ZoCs dont overlap, thanks for the explanation.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Various Meat Products posted:

Not really sure what the confusion is about. Denmark is walking from a province with no ZOC to a province in Pest's ZOC and then to Pest.

When I mouseover Spis it says its within Trencin's zone of control, which is the fort I was expecting them to have to take to proceed past Spis. I didnt know the thing about other forts adjacent to the ZoC province allowing you to just skip past the wall

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jazerus posted:

i really don't understand what role mercs are supposed to play in the average campaign anymore, beyond the first 50 years max. the cost scaling is ridiculous and yeah, every group you hire is 250 mil worth of general-derived professionalism before you factor in general cost modifiers. the old system was ridiculously pro-merc but the new one is just as bad in the opposite direction

Vanilla? Really none. Mods like Anbennar have used it decently like giving special merc units the 'Elite' designation so they don't cost professional and a bunch of weird/powerful stat bonuses and builds e.g. Marrhold has a merc unit that's a 'scout' type that has something absurd like +50% move speed, all cavalry, and a small-ish size.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jazerus posted:

Without mercs the AI would be even worse at the game, and the new lump groups of mercenaries is probably easier for it to use, too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

THE BAR posted:

Without mercs the AI would be even worse at the game, and the new lump groups of mercenaries is probably easier for it to use, too.
That and the AI is no longer incredibly annoying spamming single stack mercs in every province it owns and occupies after you stack wipe it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mr. Grinch posted:

is fort maintenance really what bankrupts an AI? Maybe just make AI forts cost less? an AI deleting their forts because theyre running a deficit is incredibly stupid

Why? I delete all of my forts in almost every game

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Why? I delete all of my forts in almost every game

Yeah, but you presumably maneuver your army with something approaching a human brain, take a few mil idea groups, and make decent armies instead of 50k inf stacks of mercenaries.

Plus without forts, we're deriving the AI of its greatest pleasure, marching halfway across the planet to seize a mothballed fort while their capital is looted.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 20, 2021

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That and the AI is no longer incredibly annoying spamming single stack mercs in every province it owns and occupies after you stack wipe it.

Yeah now it just spams single stack manpower units with their usually large professionalism pool to back them up instead :v:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The best reason for mercs is being able to have another free general in late game when 4-5 fat stacks aren't enough for a hellwar.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Plus without forts, we're deriving the AI of its greatest pleasure, marching halfway across the planet to seize a mothballed fort while their capital is looted.
You don't need a mothballed fort for that, they will still happily do it without a fort.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Trying A Sun God achievement cause it irritates me by showing it's almost done whoever I play. Have to control all of South America as technologically advanced Inca. It checks that most of the provinces in South America are uncolonized and so it shows most of requirements done no matter who you play as.

And you know, that Cuzco start might be the easiest I've ever played. It's almost soothing. There are civil wars from reforms but external threats are non-existent. I wonder if anything will change later.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Just finished my white whale of an achievement, One Faith, which I have tried multiple times with Mughals, Ottos and Austria in the past. Finally achieved it with Spain -> HRE revoke, and it was far easier than I thought. You take control of the entire colonization effort so 90% of the new world is catholic. The only thing left in Europe post-revoke was to PU Russia and force convert them, then it's a standard World Conquest.

Having the vassal swarm obviously helps, but mercs in this kind of campaign are really helpful; I used them especially after wars for the inevitable rebels (just recruit a free company next to the rebel stack, even at 0morale they usually can take care of it), and to conquer the Malaccas/Philippines. You charter a province, recruit a stack of mercs and then go to war, saves a huge amount of time as you don't need to ship troops or wait 6 years for your one province to recruit an army.

In the end I finished the almost world conquest (left Commonwealth, Norway and an OPM France in the Malvinas standing as they were full catholic) in like, 1780 with a couple of trucebreaks, and ended the conversions by 1790. I didn't even need to trucebreak at that point, but just to speed things up.

0/10 achievement, would not recommend, glad it's done with finally. Now onto the next one, TTM...

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

ilitarist posted:

Trying A Sun God achievement cause it irritates me by showing it's almost done whoever I play. Have to control all of South America as technologically advanced Inca. It checks that most of the provinces in South America are uncolonized and so it shows most of requirements done no matter who you play as.

And you know, that Cuzco start might be the easiest I've ever played. It's almost soothing. There are civil wars from reforms but external threats are non-existent. I wonder if anything will change later.

Make sure you snag the Galapagos and the other islands that count as South America! Not that I fluffed it the first time round by forgetting them or anything...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Aethernet posted:

Make sure you snag the Galapagos and the other islands that count as South America! Not that I fluffed it the first time round by forgetting them or anything...

Yeah. Everything else that the filthy Europeans might colonize will turn into colonial nations which you can then just eat without having to fight the mother country. But not those drat islands.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Groke posted:

Yeah. Everything else that the filthy Europeans might colonize will turn into colonial nations which you can then just eat without having to fight the mother country. But not those drat islands.

:cryingleopoldogaltieri:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
My ally Brandenburg dissolves our alliance out of the blue, -1,000 reasons for having a domineering attitude.

Good luck buddy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm guessing you pressed the Introduce New Heir button?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Yes, like 20 years ago.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

99% of the time, it's because you had a royal marriage with them (because you already had an alliance with them so it costs nothing) and you introduced a new heir. They wanted the ability to get your country in a PU and that did not happen, so they're annoyed.

Of course I'm not sure if it's realistic for it to be 'break your alliance because we can totally take someone with 10 times the troops' levels of annoyed, but eh. Paradox AI.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
What a bizzare interaction.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Aethernet posted:

Thank you for the valuable intel, fellow sun enjoyer

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 21, 2021

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

uPen posted:

What a bizzare interaction.

Yes it's the worst and I have no idea why someone thought it necessary to add it in so late in the game's life cycle.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I don't have diplomatic relations with Britanny. I don't see them. They don't have any other claims or colonies as far as I can see. I have questions.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
They probably got kicked out of Europe, made a home in Brazil, and got a claim by chance on you.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Turns out AI is better about overseas warfare than I remember.

Every time someone complains about steel and horses and gunpowder not being powerful enough against natives of America and Africa remind them how Spain and Portugal can bring 50k troops over the ocean in 1580. Seems I was too chill this game, and Spain was too friendly with Portugal for my tastes.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 21, 2021

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah they seem have gotten an upgrade in that regard, i've noticed england actually launching succesful naval invasions as well. that said, colonies have also seemingly become very weak, only fielding tiny armies and frequently getting beaten by natives

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yea giving up 5 provinces ASAP so that they spin off a CN who you can take all the provinces back from (and reform off of) is a good idea.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

Yea giving up 5 provinces ASAP so that they spin off a CN who you can take all the provinces back from (and reform off of) is a good idea.

Indeed, my good sir, that's what I did. Reforming boosted my everything and moved me into a great power status so now I'm optimistic. I'm going to colonize and maybe get friendly with some non-Iberian European powers before I get my revenge.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

ilitarist posted:

I don't have diplomatic relations with Britanny. I don't see them. They don't have any other claims or colonies as far as I can see. I have questions.

if it's not a "whoops they're secretly in brazil" thing it's probably the exploration finisher of "Can fabricate claim overseas in colonial regions" and they actually finally made the AI actually do it with one of the recent patches or something

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Eh, it's probably some event. They don't have any claims in any other province apart from my capital. I don't think any proper mechanic would allow them to fabricate a claim on my capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they want it because it's gold, countries that complete the exploration/expansion ideas will fabricate claims on your gold provinces nonstop