Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Noted serious anime Cowboy Bebop which features an episode where they trip on shrooms and an episode where the crew gets attacked by a moldy lobster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Yes, the anime had good jokes and this has "Are you blackmailing me?"

EDIT: People are really obsessed with owning the nerds on here, and it would much simpler just not to be contrarian/ the "owning the libs" shtick but about terrible Netflix shows.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 20, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mumbly posted:

No real opinion on the show, but I wish I was young enough to get angry at people liking a flawed-to-bad adaptation of a cartoon and make low-effort 4chan shitposts insulting their intelligence. I wish I thought that would make me look cool and well-adjusted.

Hey how, there’s people in their 50s now who make a living doing exactly that. Age is just a number.

As for the show, haven’t seen it yet but might watch a couple episodes tonight and see what I think of it. Watching the thread see saw between “I liked it.” and “It set my dog on fire somehow. It also makes my pee burn now.” is loving hilarious though, and probably might be funnier than actually watching the show. I dunno.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

As for the show, haven’t seen it yet but might watch a couple episodes tonight and see what I think of it. Watching the thread see saw between “I liked it.” and “It set my dog on fire somehow. It also makes my pee burn now.” is loving hilarious though, and probably might be funnier than actually watching the show. I dunno.

You spent a lot of time defending this despite having not seen a single episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

EDIT: People are really obsessed with owning the nerds on here, and it would much simpler just not to be contrarian/ the "owning the libs" shtick but about terrible Netflix shows.

Counter point: Nerds suck. gently caress nerds. Chaos dunk on them non stop through whatever means you have available, including subjectively bad Netflix shows.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Counter point: Nerds suck. gently caress nerds. Chaos dunk on them non stop through whatever means you have available, including subjectively bad Netflix shows.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

nine-gear crow posted:

YOU are a nerd. Go dunk yourself.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

the biggest problem this show has is it sucks and there are no redeeming factors other than the good music and the actor for jet who is actually quite good. other than that though its fine i guess. if you have never seen any other show in your life you might get a kick out of the fight scenes

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

Your last couple of posts is you being obsessed with countering people just liking a TV show. Brilliant as the anime is, if this is how it makes people act maybe we should start bullying people who admit to liking anime again.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Seeing all the Noted Chuds ITT get chucklefuck-furious about this amazeballs show and I'm just sitting here doing my little grub hub truffle shuffle guy dance and slapping my belly uproariasly each time a character says dialogue thats written like this

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Everyone here is a nerd lol we all paid $10 to post about nerd poo poo on the internet before Reddit was invented.

Just remembered Jet’s outfit in the flashback episode which is exactly what he wore in the cartoon but looked very stupid in live action. Like fashion is cyclical but only every 130 years.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey how, there’s people in their 50s now who make a living doing exactly that. Age is just a number.

don't ruin it for yourself imo

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Trip report: it doesn’t like, completely suck. But the anime is a flawless masterpiece. So why bother?

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

well, thanks for admitting it Lol
liking the bad show to dunk on them nerds

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

pog boyfriend posted:

the biggest problem this show has is it sucks and there are no redeeming factors other than the good music and the actor for jet who is actually quite good. other than that though its fine i guess. if you have never seen any other show in your life you might get a kick out of the fight scenes

this. you can just take it on its own, and its just a bunch of bad dialog and embarrasing design.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I don't even care if it's good or bad adaptation, I just sincerely hope that we could finally start to move past this reboot/remake hell we've been stuck in for far too long. There's no more nostalgia left in me to milk out, just pain.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

nine-gear crow posted:

Forcing yourself to like something for the purpose of spiting imagined enemies seems miserable.

Why get worked up about it and make up reasons to get upset at people for not liking it when you haven't even watched it?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Mumbly posted:

Your last couple of posts is you being obsessed with countering people just liking a TV show. .

Yeah, I'm guilty of Care. I also watched two episodes of this live action adaption before taping out and just watching the highlights on Twitter. This is very different then posting in this thread Owning The Nerds without actually having seen an episode. I'm not insulting you or Mumbly, I'm just wondering and reacting to WHAT you liked or statements that TV! Faye is just like Anime! Faye but without the stupid outfit (which was purposefully stupid)

Flying Zamboni posted:

Why get worked up about it and make up reasons to get upset at people for not liking it when you haven't even watched it?
People on here are obsessed with being a better class of nerd than on 4chan or Reddit; when it would be better not thinking of them at all

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nerds crying about the existence of remakes/adaptations is like the cinema equivalent of Sad Gamer Dad energy. Just watch other movies and shows, of which there have never been more options, if you hate them so much.

Guy who watches 1 movie every two years: they're ruining my artform, I just can't find anything to watch that's not a remake!!

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Let people like things.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
poo poo Crap poo poo - this show

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flying Zamboni posted:

Forcing yourself to like something for the purpose of spiting imagined enemies seems miserable.

Like I said, I have not seen it yet so I’m gonna assume when I do watch it my reaction will run the gamut from either “Eh, this was pretty fun, I like it.” to “Eh, this kinda sucked. It’s not for me. lol @ everyone who got pissing mad about it tho.”

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Martman posted:

Nerds crying about the existence of remakes/adaptations is like the cinema equivalent
Martin Scorsese is cool as hell, so poo poo yeah I'll be like him

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

John Cho and Dani are good too, it's just that Cho is legit too old to do fight scenes (he didn't win that genetic lottery like say Reeves or isn't a muscle train like Arnold were it doesn't matter) and Dani is working with whatever she got. Outside of the trio is baffling casting decisions, outside of cheap effects and worse writing though

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

cowbad badbop imo

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I like the gay mechanic but I wish they went full hog and had a spike/jet kiss. Lesbians aren't subversive anymore since we're almost always included as a titillation nod for the presumed straight dude audience. Let's get some yaoi.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Just finished the last episode. Overall I thought it was ok, and while I definitely prefer the original I won't be upset if this gets a couple more seasons.

There were enough callbacks to the original to hit me right in the nostalgia, a few gag scenes that actually made me laugh, and I really liked the casting. Mustafa Shakir absolutely nailed taking on the role of Jet. I don't think the writing quite captured the Spike Spiegel I expected, but John Cho did pretty good with what he got. Daniella Pineda got shafted by some incredibly awful writing for Faye, possibly due to a misunderstanding of or overcompensating for a few minor quirks of the original character. Excited to see where the Syndicate Leader Julia twist goes because honestly that character needed more than just being a damsel in distress.

Up until release I thought they had intentionally omitted Ed, either because the character would be impractical to turn live action or otherwise. Bbut then the last scene showed up and hoo boy. With what few lines they had, I don't think the writing quite captured the innocent, whimsical, and slightly mischievous nature of the original Ed, but Eden Perkins has some genitals of steel to even take up that role even as what appears to be a newcomer to the industry?

There were only two scenes that rubbed me the wrong way: Vicious murdering the nude slaves making him red eye (that entire scene could have been removed and nothing would have been lost, someone just needed an excuse to throw some T&A + gore in somewhere) and the Bebop crew ditching Ein (sorry, I'm a dog person and corgi owner and seeing that happen hurt, and boy was I happy to see that little fellow show back up during the last Ed scene).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BoldFace posted:

I don't even care if it's good or bad adaptation, I just sincerely hope that we could finally start to move past this reboot/remake hell we've been stuck in for far too long. There's no more nostalgia left in me to milk out, just pain.

This is never ending, friend

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Haha I'd not seen this before but I unironically love it

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Up to the 4th episode and this exactly my jam.

I mean it is a very stupid show with lot of cringe, but that is what makes it fun.
Woodcocks thirst for Jet was perfect cringe!

Also <3 Faye, she is perfect.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

loving hell :lol: ep6: Chekhovs railgun

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The assumption of course is that the director and producers actually give a poo poo about the end result.

Usually you would have two scenarios

1. Cast people who look like the characters they are depicting, they accomplished this with John Cho

2. People who acted well for the part but need to get their rear end in the loving gym, hire them a trainer and nutritionist.

Instead we got Beer Gut Jet and Thicc Faye.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

dang dude just let people live the fat life lol

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

oh poo poo I just remembered who gren was. man that guy has style. he was great.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

If you think the Faye we got was thicc you have never truly gotten down with the thiccness.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
im extremely disappoiinted the faye actress didnt get a boob job and lipo to star in this role wearing her OG anime outfit for me to jerk off to

0/10 trash show

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I felt the nostalgia wave when I realized who Anna was too.

the more I think about this show the more I like it, friends

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
the faye actress only has c cup titties instyead of g cup like the anime

0/10 trash show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Koirhor posted:

The assumption of course is that the director and producers actually give a poo poo about the end result.

Usually you would have two scenarios

1. Cast people who look like the characters they are depicting, they accomplished this with John Cho

2. People who acted well for the part but need to get their rear end in the loving gym, hire them a trainer and nutritionist.

Instead we got Beer Gut Jet and Thicc Faye.
Not sure why you're comparing about Semi-Thicc Faye when no one but fashion models or walking eating disorders could possibly look like a boneless anime waif

Endorph posted:

no not really, the original japanese dialog has some coarseness but it never really goes hard in on the japanese equivalent of heavy swearing even though it aired at like 1 in the morning and other tv anime with similar timeslots got away with much harsher language. and the original dub aired on adult swim and was one of the more pg-13 shows on it even at the time.
Yep and the original few adult swim airings also removed most of the blood, replaced "poo poo" and "goddamn" with "drat", removing missiles hitting buildings, removing the teddy bomber episode entirely, etc.

And as I understand it originally in Japan it didn't get a late night "only adults are up show whatever you want" timeslot but only half the episodes aired there and it eventually did get a slot on a premium satellite channel where they could show whatever they wanted. Even so, the original unedited show just wasn't one where anyone would ever shout something like "welcome to the ouch motherfuckers!"