Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ghost Deb is awesome.

best part of the show easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The music has also always been good.

So Clancy Brown is absolutely going to be kidnapping Harrison to his murder hunting cabin, lose a fight to a drugged up teenager while armed in full hunting gear and a high-powered rifle, and Dexter has to either murder Clancy Brown to cover for Harrison, or teach Harrison how to murder Clancy Brown, right? I really don't see the show going any other way.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I wonder if Jennifer Carpenter enjoyed her scenes shouting gently caress and laughing all the time.

I liked the way Dexter flipped through that stack of calendars like it was his old blood slides collection. Every day is a single fat red line.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

How many episodes do you think until Dexter's girlfriend's daughter ends up captured in that room? Or how many until it is revealed that Clancy killed her first daughter years ago (and it was probably his very first serial kill)? I'm guessing 2.

I thought the woman (Iris?) the daughter mentioned was the chief's sister. That would make more sense, right? Unless it was mentioned already in the first episode or something.

Fake Edit: oh there's a new episode already

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DaveKap posted:

That said [spoiler]I wondered how the scrawny billionaire was filling out so much of that stupid hunters getup.

I'm still wondering why the jerkoff Dexter killed was even out hunting alone. Dude seems like the type who needs his sycophants around to show off to and blow smoke up his rear end, hand him the drugs, etc. Super weird he was out hunting alone, almost like it's only so Dexter can kill him without them worrying about how dude obviously wouldn't alone out there.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sadly his only available sycophant was coked up dickface who was fed up with the position. Because he had a chat with Dexter.

Way to go Dexter. Good prep work.

Edit:

itry fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 21, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So what do we think is up with Clancy Brown thinking, or claiming to think, that his son's still alive

Also i really fuckin hope they're not actually gonna go with "weird bullied kid becomes a school shooter" because jesus christ

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 21, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hey, remember how Dexter was in the wrestling team? Remember how he picked locks? Remember that choke move he used to do?

Something something apple and tree.

Regy Rusty posted:

So what do we think is up with Clancy Brown thinking, or claiming to think, that his son's still alive

Also i really fuckin hope they're not actually gonna go with "weird bullied kid becomes a school shooter" because jesus christ

The bullied kid drawing himself as a comic book character so he can feel better is pretty ordinary. I think that scene was more about Harrison.

And that Clancy Brown is a real good actor. No idea what that was about, but it made me think about True Detective for some reason.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Regy Rusty posted:

I mean there could be all kinds of themes involving grief and/or denial of which Dexter's writers demonstrably know nothing.

In reality, hey, you know how the Harrison plot of the episode described the concept of catfishing?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

I hope it turns out he is still alive. Why? How? gently caress you!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This is actually Dexter revived as a supernatural horror show.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

itry posted:

The bullied kid drawing himself as a comic book character so he can feel better is pretty ordinary. I think that scene was more about Harrison.

And that Clancy Brown is a real good actor. No idea what that was about, but it made me think about True Detective for some reason.

The preview for the next episode definitely wants to make us think that they're going the worse direction, but it could also just be usual TV misdirection.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope it turns out he is still alive. Why? How? gently caress you!

That would be the best outcome tbh

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a good stinger, I hope it isn't dismissed with immediately like you got in old Dexter. Would much rather have some huge dumb twist. Random guesses:
- dickface sent a fake message to make sure he'd keep getting hush money
- Kurt has delusions when he kills (like Dexter) and imagined his son talking to him
- Kurt came to some kind of weird realization that he was the same as his son's killer and decided to let it go
- Dexter just straight up imagined the murder and corpse, he didn't do poo poo and Matt is actually still alive

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ghost Deb is awesome.
Yeah I was honestly sick of Deb by the end of original Dexter's run and feared how much she was gonna be in the new season but Jennifer Carpenter is really knocking it out of the park of extreme expression and her former relationship with Michael C Hall is actually enhancing everything instead of making it feel weird.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DaveKap posted:

Yeah I was honestly sick of Deb by the end of original Dexter's run and feared how much she was gonna be in the new season but Jennifer Carpenter is really knocking it out of the park of extreme expression and her former relationship with Michael C Hall is actually enhancing everything instead of making it feel weird.

I wonder if they have a cordial relationship at all or if it's just extremely cathartic to rock up on set, yell gently caress you at him, then collect a check and go home.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i did let out a sensible chuckle at deb's little foot pop during the wood chipper fantasy

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
I’m rewatching last week’s episode because my husband hadn’t watched it.

Angry ghost Deb is just the best.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

R. Guyovich posted:

i did let out a sensible chuckle at deb's little foot pop during the wood chipper fantasy

https://i.imgur.com/QScCa1z.mp4

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
dexter be like "ah, why didn't i think to go to the No-Questions-Asked Cremation store the first time!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Now open! Drive-thru public access cremation! "Ashes to Ashes-- we're non-profit... So won't you consider leaving a little cashes to Ashes & Ashes?"

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Ah yes, the publicly accessible industrial furnace left unattended and unsecured. Why did I not think of that

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I really enjoyed the first four seasons, watched the 5th and bailed. I’ve come back for this and so far he show works well as a sequel to the 4th season. It’s not perfect, but I’m having fun again so that counts for a lot.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

I just want someone to mention Chicky Hines.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Khanstant posted:

dexter be like "ah, why didn't i think to go to the No-Questions-Asked Cremation store the first time!"

the plaque said it was a garbage incinerator. i wondered aloud earlier in the episode why he didn't just break into a crematorium but apparently in Vaguely Upstate New York you can just burn your trash sight unseen

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Did Harrison have a hamburger when he was in line at lunch and then eat a hotdog?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

he had both. i noticed that too. big boy season

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I actually liked this episode. Ghost Deb continues to be the best part though. The cinematography of Dexter creating a scent trail at the crimescene was visually appealing and I appreciated that.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Well poo poo, I legit enjoyed that episode. All they gotta do is not be loving boring.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ghost Deb is awesome.

Jennifer Carpenter is a treasure.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'm really not hating it so far, which is surprising. there's some dumb moments but that was always dexter. ghost deb is a delight, especially compared to ghost harry. i couldn't imagine going back to watch those old episodes where you could practically see james remar cashing his paycheck

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Regy Rusty posted:

The preview for the next episode definitely wants to make us think that they're going the worse direction, but it could also just be usual TV misdirection.

I didn't watch the preview, but that would suck.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

- Dexter just straight up imagined the murder and corpse, he didn't do poo poo and Matt is actually still alive

I hope it's this.

Another classic to the pile.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Unlike the previous, we're chuckling at that animation for the reasons they wanted us to.

How far we've come...

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

LazyDivey posted:

I just want someone to mention Chicky Hines.

Isn’t a requirement that the Black SUV must also be included? For one to exist, the other must.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why did dexter start dating the cop anyway? He used to get into relationships to look more normal so he could keep doing his monster stuff. But he's been purposely not doing that stuff and up in alaska that's new york somehow for some reason, he could get away with being a lonely shut-in, probably lots of those kinds of dudes around.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Show’s good? drat i need to catch this

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Show’s good? drat i need to catch this

No, but ghost deb is

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

It's a good stinger, I hope it isn't dismissed with immediately like you got in old Dexter. Would much rather have some huge dumb twist. Random guesses:
- Kurt has delusions when he kills (like Dexter) and imagined his son talking to him
- Kurt came to some kind of weird realization that he was the same as his son's killer and decided to let it go

I'm starting to think this might be the case. And the season will end with him ACTUALLY killing the Kurgan.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

This is my guess. The show is trying to be really explicit about "this is a 2021 show, here is where we are technologically so we can date ourselves" and I can easily imagine deepfaking being one of those things. Dickface deepfaked for more hush money.

Funnier if the deepfake is really bad but the dad was too drunk to notice.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DaveKap posted:

The show is trying to be really explicit about "this is a 2021 show, here is where we are technologically so we can date ourselves"

I miss the fake cellphone UI's.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What other time period would they be in? Do you get mad when an old movie has someone use a pager? "This is a 1993 movie, here is where we are so we can date ourselves."

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

yippeekiyaymf posted:

Isn’t a requirement that the Black SUV must also be included? For one to exist, the other must.

I had an image in my mind of that scene but it was of Harrison finding the letter to Hannah and him circling the words "Dexter Morgan" and "I was the Bay Barbour butcher"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

What other time period would they be in? Do you get mad when an old movie has someone use a pager? "This is a 1993 movie, here is where we are so we can date ourselves."
You're misunderstanding what I'm trying to say. There are shows that sorta ignore what's going on in the real world and do their own thing and there are shows (Dexter) that bring out whatever pop-culture poo poo they can for no reason other than to seem more real and modern but it always feels incredibly shoehorned in. It's absolutely a vibe thread that Dexter specifically tugs on. Catfishing and drones definitely lead the way toward deep fakes.