Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Harvey TWH posted:

Maryam d'Abo (The Living Daylights), also a cousin of and bearing a strong resemblance to Olivia d'Abo (the older sister in The Wonder Years)? Easy enough, but is "Sears catalog model" some kind of code for fap material?

I guess it could be, but I didn’t know there were two and I was very happy to see a Bond girl in a translucent bra and panties set at like 13 years old. Sears Catalog model may be a code, but I meant it literally…and it was not code words :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Catalog model used to mean someone too short to ever do high fashion / runway work.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

shadow puppet of a posted:

Catalog model used to mean someone too short to ever do high fashion / runway work.

I thought the difference was specifically alluding to the Sears Catalog because dudes were whackin it to Sears’ bra ads even when they were in b&w and hand-drawn, since like 140 years ago.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If you havent/cant/wont jerk off to an LL Bean catalog I dont know what to say to you.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Sorry if I caused any confused but the context I was using the term in was "a conventionally attractive person willing to work for scale hired through a talent agency that operates out of a strip mall"

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

shadow puppet of a posted:

If you havent/cant/wont jerk off to an LL Bean catalog I dont know what to say to you.

Rubber boots and flannel? I’m not German over here 🤡

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I can't decide if working as Lifetime actor would be hell or somehow rule.

Probably pretty laid back. Not like you have to try to hard.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I am looking for an (edited?) old comic book cover

where uh, like a dude is married to another woman now and his girlfriend is sad about it

and he's saying something like "sometimes these things just happen and we have no control over them!"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

where uh, like a dude is married to another woman now and his girlfriend is sad about it

and he's saying something like "sometimes these things just happen and we have no control over them!"

this sounds like an old lois lane cover with superman married to someone else, probably lana lang

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arivia posted:

this sounds like an old lois lane cover with superman married to someone else, probably lana lang

Yeah Superman had a ton of secret marriages during the 50s and 60s

To be fair Lois also married a whole bunch of different people including Batman and Lex Luthor

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Something in this makes me think of a Roy Lichtenstein painting, but I can't find it on GIS.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arivia posted:

Can confirm it was not Superman - basically like a pulpy horror-or-something comic - but from a similar era artistically.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sounds a lot like the teen-aged romance comics that the @PulpLibrarian twitter account has occasionally featured.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

This was my white whale, I bid $100 but it looks like it wasn't enough :(
There are only about 3 or 4 copies still in existence...

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So, I've got a sorta weird one, in that, I 'have' a song, and I know the band, but I can't find anything about it?

In the 90s (I think?) at some point, Soulwax (possibly as 2ManyDJs, or just the Dewale Brothers, or, maybe none of those?) Did a collaboration. I'm not sure who with, but I'm fairly sure the collaborative event was called 'Coming Together Apart', and it was about doing a song with someone else but like, over the phone. (Maybe internet? I think it was kinda pre internet).

Anyway, I think this track was actually a collab with two other people, so like a 3 way thing?

It starts off with a dude going "I like to poo poo in my trousers, Laugh at myself " and some more lyrics I can't really make out, and then the sort of chorus is him just going "every night is a lonely night, every night is a lonely night..." With rising intonation, until he breaks off into a laugh and the main hook kicks back in.

But like, I just can't find anything about it anywhere? Which feels .... not right.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Rahonavis posted:

That’s Tex Avery’s “King Size Canary”.

Holy cow, thank you!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm pretty sure the griefing thread. That was grieved to death lol

I started that thread! :cheers:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Can anyone find me a place to purchase 90's copies of Fantasy Review? It's a magazine but I can't seem to find anyway to get my hands on some physical copies. Any help would be much appreciated!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

Can anyone find me a place to purchase 90's copies of Fantasy Review? It's a magazine but I can't seem to find anyway to get my hands on some physical copies. Any help would be much appreciated!

Here's a comic book seller's website that lists a number of copies for sale: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=407921, but it only lists it as continuing until 1987. I'm finding nothing suggesting there were later issues, it might have changed names to ScienceFantasy Review at some point (or that may have happened to a UK zine of the same name), and it's really hard to tease out what's what. Even ISFDB doesn't have an entry for it, which is really weird.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Arivia posted:

Here's a comic book seller's website that lists a number of copies for sale: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=407921, but it only lists it as continuing until 1987. I'm finding nothing suggesting there were later issues, it might have changed names to ScienceFantasy Review at some point (or that may have happened to a UK zine of the same name), and it's really hard to tease out what's what. Even ISFDB doesn't have an entry for it, which is really weird.

No, that's it!!!! I wasn't sure of the date as it was mentioned in passing to me by the person who I would be getting it for. Thank you!!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Oddly enough this is almost exactly how you describe but he's not a comedian. Maybe you heard this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3HCksdQiLI

Late to this response, but that’s not it. It was definitely a stand-up comedian. Cool song, though, and thanks for trying.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I’m looking for a YouTube vid about two guys reviewing music. It’s a public access show. One of them pretends to have called Sammy Hagar about a Christmas album while is the other guy is very adamant about him lying to the audience about talking to Sammy Hagar.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

wibble posted:

This was my white whale, I bid $100 but it looks like it wasn't enough :(
There are only about 3 or 4 copies still in existence...

Is this all of the concept art and storyboards?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It's one of a small number of pitch books put together to sell the film project to studios, and contains hundreds of pages of notes and storyboards and concept art from Moebius, HR Giger, etc. about how Jodorowsky planned to adapt Dune to film. You'll notice the covers are cut out and hand-glued since such a small number were made. Only 10-20 ever existed.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
The final sale was... ~3 loving million dollars.

:catstare:

18charactersallowe
May 21, 2011

Raspberry Bang posted:

I’m looking for a YouTube vid about two guys reviewing music. It’s a public access show. One of them pretends to have called Sammy Hagar about a Christmas album while is the other guy is very adamant about him lying to the audience about talking to Sammy Hagar.

Sounds like Hot Tracks

https://youtu.be/CSnwAX9yD1w

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

That’s the one! Thanks!

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

I'm trying to track down a music video that came out a little after the Matrix. So, yeah, *early* internet.

It was an eletronic music track, with no lyrics, and showed a Japanese policeman driving slowly around a dark city at night. (Might have been Tokyo.) Lots of street lights and lit windows of skyscrapers, but I remember it was underneath a lot of overpasses, more 'in the city' than above it.

It was extremely stylized - filmed with a green tint, the shots were slow, with lots of smooth, slo-mo stylized pans and zooms. The overall vibe was lonely.

About 2/3 of the way through, he goes into a convenience store where the lighting is bright for the first time. It's a slow zoom in to his face as he appraches the counter. And, as soon as it gets close to him, the track has a huge drop and gets incredibly energetic as he starts dancing the robot - with popping and locking.

It eventually ends with him back in the police car, with some donuts, cruising again.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A screamtracker (.s3m) or impulse tracker (.it) module titled "Thirty Hours of Pain." It uses a sample of Brandon Lee saying that line from The Crow.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
Video of a middle aged man wearing a (tie-dye? maybe not) headband and sunglasses, giving off what feels like Macho Man Randy Savage energy sort of.

He's sitting at a keyboard and he looks at the camera and says "SUGOI" with a bunch of reverb and poo poo, I think he also gives a thumbs up. Then the video just ends.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Agents are GO! posted:

A screamtracker (.s3m) or impulse tracker (.it) module titled "Thirty Hours of Pain." It uses a sample of Brandon Lee saying that line from The Crow.
Was it by Bishop? If so, it was once located at /songs/1996/s3m/h/hours.zip on the Hornet Demoscene archive, which I think is up and running again somewhere? Your mistake, if it is that one, is not thinking like a tracker, as it is "30" not "thirty"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It very well might be!

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I'm looking for a song by Mike in Mono (Mike Johnston from the band Plone). The song title is "Perfect". All I've been able to find is this defunct MySpace page that used to have a little snippet of the song:

https://myspace.com/monoinmike/music/song/perfect-18057621-17858806

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
There was a show on German TV in the mid-70s named Die Yxilon-Show.

It was a Muppets-style variety show done via black light theater technique (i.e. the performers were dressed all in black so as to be "invisible" in front of a black background, and manipulated colorful puppets in the foreground). I think it was Czech-produced, since Prague has a famous black light theater and the two main characters talked in exagerrated Eastern European accents. Also, most of the producers in the credits have Czech names.

The musical numbers were often songs by the Comedian Harmonists or crazy Spike Jones numbers. The show was nowhere near as accomplished as the Muppets, and in fact it often had a distinctly creepy "Is this how it feels to be on drugs?" vibe, owed in no small part to the stark black backgrounds.

Here are the end credits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8BFCaO0usM

Out of the 18 episodes, there are exactly two on YouTube (episode 1 and 11). I've never been able to find them on eBay so far.

German goons, if any of you have any digital recordings of the show, I'll gladly pay for copy expenses and shipping.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

No, we have Rowlf at home.
Rowlf at home:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Does anyone know where the :grin: smilie originated from? I'm looking for the larger source

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Not sure exactly, but it feels a lot like Yahoo Messenger circa 2004 or so.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I spent all morning googling before remembering this thread existed, so here goes nothing:

I'm looking for a music video. It's some kind of death metal/metalcore thing (this would have been in the mid 2000's, maybe 2007? so I think that would be the right genre maybe?)

Anyway, from what I remember the video takes place in an old house, vaguely dungeon-like. I don't remember too much, but intercut with footage of the band is this story about two children playing together or falling in love or something, told in flashbacks. The thing that burned itself into my mind is the final shot of the video. A woman, heavily implied to be the same child from the flashback, now an old crone, reaching for the singer, but it plays out like a shadowplay on the dungeon wall. That image really stuck with me and I'd like to find the video again.

If there are any Canadagoons in the thread, I'm like 95% positive I saw this on MuchMusic back in the day.

Anyway, would be cool to see it again if it can be found.

Thanks!

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 30, 2021

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

magic cactus posted:

I spent all morning googling before remembering this thread existed, so here goes nothing:

I'm looking for a music video. It's some kind of death metal/metalcore thing (this would have been in the mid 2000's, maybe 2007? so I think that would be the right genre maybe?)

Anyway, from what I remember the video takes place in an old house, vaguely dungeon-like. I don't remember too much, but intercut with footage of the band is this story about two children playing together or falling in love or something, told in flashbacks. The thing that burned itself into my mind is the final shot of the video. A woman, heavily implied to be the same child from the flashback, now an old crone, reaching for the singer, but it plays out like a shadowplay on the dungeon wall. That image really stuck with me and I'd like to find the video again.

If there are any Canadagoons in the thread, I'm like 95% positive I saw this on MuchMusic back in the day.

Anyway, would be cool to see it again if it can be found.

Thanks!

You should ask the metal thread in NMD, too.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

You should ask the metal thread in NMD, too.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll do that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Dave Syndrome posted:

There was a show on German TV in the mid-70s named Die Yxilon-Show.

Here are the end credits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8BFCaO0usM

Strong Candle Cove vibes!