Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

zoux posted:

So this horned rat god the skaven worship, is he also real

In universe, difference between a god and a particularly clever wizard is unclear and one of those things people deliberately don't question, leaving it all purposely vague.

Out of Universe: Age of Sigmar briefly tried to replace Slaanesh with the Great Horned Rat but everybody laughed at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Acute Grill posted:

Out of Universe: Age of Sigmar briefly tried to replace Slaanesh with the Great Horned Rat but everybody laughed at them.

This is not true. Slaanesh being trapped has just always been a plot thread, it's armies were still very active anyway despite the god being trapped. The Great Horned Rat was just an addition to the Big Shot Chaos gods as it was now powerful enough to be considered an equal.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is not true. Slaanesh being trapped has just always been a plot thread, it's armies were still very active anyway despite the god being trapped. The Great Horned Rat was just an addition to the Big Shot Chaos gods as it was now powerful enough to be considered an equal.

And even then all the other gods thought the Great Horned Rat sucked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno he sounds better than the BDSM hell gods

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the one emotion mankind cannot deny... is rat

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Skaven God being real and powerful and still getting zero respect from the other gods who are mad about having to acknowledge him is perfect.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arglebargle III posted:

The Skaven God being real and powerful and still getting zero respect from the other gods who are mad about having to acknowledge him is perfect.
Now I just want a TGHR voiced by Rodney Dangerfield.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terrible Opinions posted:

They're fine but don't fix the "recolored chaos warrior" problem. Whereas Slaanesh boys and girls look like a whole different faction.

This is what I'm talking about. This is what I love.

You're telling me that being a servant of Slaneesh sucks? Look at these! Even the slaves are aesthetically fantastic!

Nurgle and Slaneesh are incredible. Super hyped right now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Nurgle is the one true god. gently caress all the haters, thicc bloaty bois for life.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What would happen if nurgle drank from the grail

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Gonkish posted:

Nurgle is the one true god. gently caress all the haters, thicc bloaty bois for life.

Finally some goddamn sense in this thread

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nothing good

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I've never seen an explainer on fire damage in Total Warhammer. In the new game, it'll reduce all incoming healing, which implies it works differently new. I know it's good against units with regeneration, as well as mummies and forest spirits, but I don't know how. Is it just extra damage to units vulnerable to it? Does it block Regeneration, but not other forms of healing, at the moment?

Fire is not like poison, where it's a bonus effect added on top of whatever damage the weapon already does. Fire is said to do poorly against armor, but is that an inherent property of fire damage, or is it because they simply tend to give units with fiery weapons lower AP damage? I noticed that Brettonian Fire Archers have lower AP damage than the other two types, but Glade Guard with Starfire Shafts look like they have more AP damage than other Glade Guard despite also having fire damage. People here seem to swear by the Lore of Fire and some units with fire damage without making too many caveats about heavily armored units.

Fire damage resistance seems pretty rare. Does it work against a whole attack or just part of it.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think the way it works right now is, it has no effect on regeneration rate but almost every source of regeneration *also* makes you take significantly more fire damage, and some units like trees are naturally vulnerable to it, so right now fire damage is just a damage boost under certain circumstances

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 23, 2021

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think they also recently changed some sources of fire damage imbue, particularly the Banner of Eternal Flame, to also increase base weapon damage a bit so it's always a decent bump to unit damage instead of only being helpful in the edge case where you're fighting something fire vulnerable

fire imbued attacks count as physical attacks and are mitigated by %phys resist, according to the forums

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr Christmas posted:

I noticed that Brettonian Fire Archers have lower AP damage than the other two types, but Glade Guard with Starfire Shafts look like they have more AP damage than other Glade Guard despite also having fire damage.
Overall I'm not too sure but this particular thing I think is because WE need an extra building to be able to recruit the Starfire Shafts and they cost more upkeep, while the Bwettonian fire arrows are just one tier higher of the same building and dont have a very noticeable cost difference?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Fire Damage is like Magic Damage as of TWWH2, it's actually identical to Physical Damage unless you're fighting something that has specific modifiers. This is why a lot of items like the Banner of Fire Damage add additional +weapon damage or something, it's actually inconsequential a lot of the time that your swords are on fire until you fight somebody who cares, but +8% weapon strength to the squad is nice until then.

Are they Tomb Kings/Regenerating? They probably have Fire Weakness, Fire good. Are they Imrik/Dragon Princes/Dragons/using Fire themselves? Big resists. You can inflict Fire Weakness on enemies with the passive of Fire casters and soon Tzeentch daemons.

Are they G-g-g-ghosts? Are they otherwise stacking Physical Resistance but NOT Ward Save? Magic will neutralize that advantage. Magic does not actually ignore armor. Are they Dwarves? Luthor? Magic resistant in general? Magic Attacks are costing you there. This creates a funny scenario where Queek's favorite dwarf slaying weapon actually nerfs his damage output vs dawi.

As of TWWH3 Fire Damage will also apply I assume a few seconds of -90% healing done or something. They're shaking up the difference between Magic/Spell resistances in TWWH3 and I think but can't recall if they're changing Magic Damage itself into anything other than a ghostbuster. To summarize:

Physical: Normal. Physical Resistance applies to being punched and being shot.
Missiles: Missile Resistance applies to being shot but not being punched.
Fire: Normal unless the enemy has something that affects it. Seems to have a bit of a split into physical damage but can bypass Physical Resistance. Trees, Tomb Kings/Some Undead and Regenerators hate it. Many fire users/dragon types laugh at it.
Magic: Respects Armor, bypasses Physical Resistance. Normal unless the enemy has something that affects it. Ghosts hate it, Dawi/Harkon laugh at it.
Ward Save: The Big Resistance. Actually stops everything.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think fire damage should work on flame

It doesn’t, but it should. I should be able to burn a spooky ghost

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

I think they also recently changed some sources of fire damage imbue, particularly the Banner of Eternal Flame, to also increase base weapon damage a bit so it's always a decent bump to unit damage instead of only being helpful in the edge case where you're fighting something fire vulnerable

fire imbued attacks count as physical attacks and are mitigated by %phys resist, according to the forums

This isn't quite true, fire damage is essentially a yes/no property that is applied to either physical or magical attacks. If a unit does not have the "magical attack" property (like Brettonian peasants w/ fire arrows), then the fire damage is physical, but if a unit has magical attacks and fire damage (like flamespyre phoenixes) then the fire damage is magical. It's a little confusing. LOTW breaks it down here (timestamped for the damage flow chart):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLluhYzA82E&t=1030s

The way fire damage works now in TWW2 means it's usually less useful than more useful outside of just a few cases for undead, tree units, and some units w/ regeneration.

E: Whoops, missed the "imbued fire attacks" part of this post but still this may help somebody so leaving it up. There's a lot of misconceptions up thread so give this a watch if you're confused

rideANDxORdie fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 23, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nurgle already has a kidnapped elf goddess girlfriend in the other warhammer setting, so probably retread storybeats.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It would probably become evil. In AoS there is a group called the Most Suppurating and Blightsome Order of the Fly, or just the Order of the Fly. They worship Nurgle and the Lady of Cankerwall who wields the Flyblown Chalice. They have a chivalrous and honorable attitude like Brettonian Knights but twisted cause they worship Nurgle. One of their cries is even "For the Lady!" Once they prove themselves enough they go to the lady and get to drink from her Chalice to become full knights.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Nurgle already has a kidnapped elf goddess girlfriend in the other warhammer setting, so probably retread storybeats.

This is probably the second biggest difference between the chaos gods in WHF & 40k, Nurgle has taken the goddess of health and thinks of her as his loving wife so he gives her lots of gifts - maladies and similar. It has an added benefit that she saves many of his test subjects from dying so her can use them again and try to overcome her healing. For her part, Isha has a bit of a martyr complex and thinks that it’s better she’s there than anyone else, and sure she could leave at any time but it’s probably best not to shake things up.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Imagine trying to have a conversation while too many Bonebreakers keep pounding the ground. Zoggin' Skaven. :orks101:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-iii-nurgle-roster-reveal/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

See, see what happens when you aren’t nice to a Beast of Nurgle? Look what you did. You gave it anxiety.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

quote:

Nurglings may deploy far out from the main force with Vanguard Deployment, because they’re good little lads. Just absolute champs.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Fun things from the roster reveal:

-Palanquins are a mount choice for generic characters, not just the named tabletop guys.

-Nurglings get Vanguard Deployment. That’s cool.

-Some guys get precursor missiles, which surprised me. I looked up the AoS warcroll for Plague Drones me confirmed they had them, and I assume that means they had them before. Exalted Plaguebearers have them too which might be new?

-Cultist heroes will be very important on the campaign map, but it’s still weird that this doesn’t talk about their battlefield role. There’s mention of an obscuring swarm of flies, but no mention of mounts, magic, or their ability to deal or take damage.

-Nurgle has fewer mortal units than any chaos faction yet.

quote:

See, see what happens when you aren’t nice to a Beast of Nurgle? Look what you did. You gave it anxiety.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 23, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I look forward to seeing the Beast of Nurgle animated.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, Nurgle rooster seems a lot less slow than expected. You have the core infantry and signature monsters like Great Unclean One, Chaos Spawn and Beast of Nurgle that will probably move at snails pace, but pretty much everything else is some variant of flyer or skirmisher. He also has substantial air force with 4 flying units, which I expected even less.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When WH2 was launched, was it just the new races that were playable or was the WH1 stuff integrated off the bat? What about the various campaigns. Just trying to get an idea what everything is going to look like when WH3 launches.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Beasts and Nurgle and Plague Toads are fairly slow as well.

Also yeah all the Belly maws seem to be a way to keep the T rating. Wonder if the blood dlc will turn them into guts.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
We don’t have any stats yet to know for sure. The toad cav don’t seem that fast, and while there are flyers they seem like most of it is just variants of light chaff instead of anything with a real punch. So yes, he’ll have units that can catch opposing armies but they really can’t do anything once they do.

If anything the roster seems kinda like a Lizardman roster, just without most of the dinosaurs and with worse ”skinks”.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

zoux posted:

When WH2 was launched, was it just the new races that were playable or was the WH1 stuff integrated off the bat? What about the various campaigns. Just trying to get an idea what everything is going to look like when WH3 launches.

Just the new races. None of the Warhammer 1 races were playable on the Vortex map until one of them got a DLC/FLC lord for that map, and it actually took a long while for Mortal Empires to come out because of the Norsca trouble. Hopefully it won't take too long for that this time though with that experience behind them.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

zoux posted:

just the new campaigns and races... the integration came when mortal empires came out, which was a patch. supposed to be the same here, with immortal empires coming out after the main game.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

zoux posted:

WH1 races were on the map as opponents, but none were playable until mortal empires released. I don’t recall about multiplayer or custom battles though.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I don’t think the game 1 content was available in multi or custom until the mortal empires patch. Which was like two or three months in, as I remember. Felt like a long time then but in retrospect it was very brief.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

orangelex44 posted:

worse ”skinks”.

More like 'stinks'

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Quick question about WH2: is the beta patch with cavalry changes already live in the base game, or do you still have to opt in?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I don’t think the game 1 content was available in multi or custom until the mortal empires patch. Which was like two or three months in, as I remember. Felt like a long time then but in retrospect it was very brief.
The ME patch came one month after release. The thing that had people howling was Norsca which took about 8 month for it be added to WH2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I don’t think the roster article makes any mention of a unit having charge defense or being anti-large.