Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

I’m reading a collection of Le Guin short stories and they’re all phenomenally well-written and compelling but all the endings are unsatisfying. hard recommend (The Wind’s Twelve Quarters is the collection) but know going in you may be underwhelmed by the endings, could totally be a It’s Just Me issue but idk I’ve never experienced anything like this

She's a good writer OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

i just re-uploaded my event horizon sample track

https://soundcloud.com/jonny290/chest-pain-unit-jonny-290-ask-the-doctor

the synth is a paia fatman hardware analog synth (that i still own!) and i ripped the samples off the VHS of event horizon when i was living at the goth house

this bangs

it is a truth universally acknowledged that samples from horror movies in electronica are best when taken off vhs

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

i just re-uploaded my event horizon sample track

https://soundcloud.com/jonny290/chest-pain-unit-jonny-290-ask-the-doctor

the synth is a paia fatman hardware analog synth (that i still own!) and i ripped the samples off the VHS of event horizon when i was living at the goth house
still slappin after all these years

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

indigi posted:

I’m reading a collection of Le Guin short stories and they’re all phenomenally well-written and compelling but all the endings are unsatisfying. hard recommend (The Wind’s Twelve Quarters is the collection) but know going in you may be underwhelmed by the endings, could totally be a It’s Just Me issue but idk I’ve never experienced anything like this

It's really good agreed, it's a real contrast to most sci fi and its tidy answers. Even when there are it's super different like at the end of the earthsea books not only do they work out that they've been wrong and re-evaluate their own past, the conflict is resolved through discussion and deliberation, reaching only an imperfect consensus. it's bonkers

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I just read a Jack Vance short story collection and I have to say for the most part they were disappointing, except for "The Moon Moth" which of course is incredible. It's been reprinted so many times that you probably have it in your house somewhere already, so read it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/chrissteinplays/status/1463864025104715778

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

ah, stephen king disease

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i remember really liking event horizon but I haven't seen it in a very long time. does it hold up

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

i remember really liking event horizon but I haven't seen it in a very long time. does it hold up

nah

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the bets part is when lawrence fishburn sees the cursed video and he's like "... we're leaving"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol it's a good call to make

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PokeJoe posted:

it's not great, it's a neat idea (cribbed from heavy metal) that's executed okay, but not particularly well. there are bits and pieces that are cool but overall it's a bit disappointing, especially if your memories of it are from seeing it as a teen when it came out.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

it's a classic example of having some great pieces that don't fit together to make something really great. you can have a lot of fun going in with the right attitude though.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

it's not great, it's a neat idea (cribbed from heavy metal) that's executed okay, but not particularly well. there are bits and pieces that are cool but overall it's a bit disappointing, especially if your memories of it are from seeing it as a teen when it came out.

im hoping dark city isn't this because i've been wanting to see it again and it's been more than a decade

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

i really like the part where larry fishburn finds the video of the crew going gorecrazy and he just looks up from the screen and goes WE'RE LEAVING

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i really like the part where larry fishburn finds the video of the crew going gorecrazy and he just looks up from the screen and goes WE'RE LEAVING

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

qirex posted:

I just watched “blood machines” on shudder [I think it began as a kickstarter] it’s basically a 45 minute synthwave music video disguised as a sci fi movie.

if you like the yamaha dx7, neon colors and naked ladies I strongly recommend it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bhodi posted:

im hoping dark city isn't this because i've been wanting to see it again and it's been more than a decade

i also haven't seen it in about a decade but i remember it being a bit clunky and the ending is somewhat unsatisfying. still worth watching though

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah it was ok but felt almost exactly like another movie I watched close to it and for some reason I can't remember at all what that movie was :v:

i liked the automat scene in dark city

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

dark city is one of my favorite movies and I thought the ending was appropriate

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bhodi posted:

bad news about dark city: i really like the part where larry fishburn finds the video of the crew going gorecrazy and he just looks up from the screen and goes WE'RE LEAVING

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

dark city is great but you have to mute it at the beginning to avoid the part where larry fishburn finds the video of the crew going gorecrazy and he just looks up from the screen and goes WE'RE LEAVING

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
"why can't we go to mars, captain? i means mars has... got women"

also i love all the cast in common with the underrated kurt russell film 'soldier' (actually the two movies have an interesting intertwining history if you feel like caring too hard about movies)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

dark city is a cool idea but the movie is kinda up and down.

it has the "tell don't show" problem where a character just does a giant exposition dump that explains everything 10 minutes before the end

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Kenny Logins posted:

bad news about dark city: i really like the part where larry fishburn finds the video of the crew going gorecrazy and he just looks up from the screen and goes WE'RE LEAVING
oh i saw that movie, i think you're thinking of sunshine

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Bhodi posted:

oh i saw that movie, i think you're thinking of sunshine

common misconception, it's actually 'ghost ship'

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

psiox posted:

common misconception, it's actually 'ghost ship'

holy gently caress, karl urban was in that movie

dude turns up everywhere i swear

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
and we're back to Dredd :coal:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i watched the Irishman today which feels like sort of an accomplishment

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

i watched the Irishman today which feels like sort of an accomplishment

I watched it and it was long and boring, I can't even think of a significant scene from it. self indulgent boring crap

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you aren't kidding. it's so slow and long. i thought it was almost over and i looked and there was over an hour left

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

you aren't kidding. it's so slow and long. i thought it was almost over and i looked and there was over an hour left

I watched There Will Be Blood again last night, watch that

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YcWfauMdlo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I watched There Will Be Blood again last night, watch that

that movie rules good idea

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

PokeJoe posted:

that movie rules good idea

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I watched There Will Be Blood again last night
For a second I thought you were talking about a sequel

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/terminal_state/status/1458248115065180170

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

For a second I thought you were talking about a sequel

there will be more blood