Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Had one of those solo parenting excursions today that made me deeply regret leaving the house. Kids slightly too cold, baby cranky, toddler offended, morning nap ruined. Cool cool cool.

Currently patching things up through the strategic use of hot cocoa and mr rogers but I’m ready for my own nap and snack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

My non verbal child, please tell me what you want at 4 am,we have guests in the house. No, please don’t shout. I wish you could understand that there are guests and you can’t sleep in the room you are used to but don’t you want to cuddle with mom or dad?

Please for the love of, let me sleep

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

My non verbal child, please tell me what you want at 4 am,we have guests in the house. No, please don’t shout. I wish you could understand that there are guests and you can’t sleep in the room you are used to but don’t you want to cuddle with mom or dad?

nah

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

TV Zombie posted:

Maybe because I hate my sister in law whom always invites herself over, but I actually embrace my kids screaming at all hours of the night when she’s over. It sucks for me, but they were going to do it regardless.

Unfortunately she always claims she sleeps through it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

TV Zombie posted:

On the other hand your guests knowingly displaced a child out of their regular bedroom so gently caress them they deserve everything that happens

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Family is invited for birthday so the house had to be crowded. Little guy tries to drag me around for what he wants but it was a mystery last night. I carried him as we walked up and downstairs, passing rooms with him being a slippery as a fish just wriggling in my arms until a tablet and some milk calmed him down and he went back to sleep at 6.

Then the older kids had a pretend tea party in the room and wanted me to participate, a couple of hours later.

Please bother the other adults in your life , children.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Jesus gently caress I genuinely cannot tell if I have always been this clumsy, or if having a kid granted me the ability to make loud noises at the most inopportune times. Bump into every door frame, leave phone lying on the counter in such a way that it immediately crashes to the floor, step on the exact right creaky floorboard, etc.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
It's amazing what a hair-triggered extremely barky dog will do for a kid's ability to sleep through things. I still remember the week my son developed hearing in utero because he flailed wildly in shock at hearing our dog go off for the first time, but by the time he was born and slightly afterwards - used to it. We've never tried to be quiet around him when he was sleeping either. He slept blissfully through the idiots across the road letting off fireworks last night and it was great.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tamarillo posted:

It's amazing what a hair-triggered extremely barky dog will do for a kid's ability to sleep through things. I still remember the week my son developed hearing in utero because he flailed wildly in shock at hearing our dog go off for the first time, but by the time he was born and slightly afterwards - used to it. We've never tried to be quiet around him when he was sleeping either. He slept blissfully through the idiots across the road letting off fireworks last night and it was great.

I have video of my baby (age 7 months) sleeping through the finale of the 1812 Ouverture.

Yes, that is the one with the cannons.

Yes, they used real cannons.

Regrettably I must inform you that this ability does not continue indefinitely.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
We live in a hella old building on the top floor so the wooden floor is creaky as gently caress. If I check on my kid at night, leaving the room is like walking through a minefield.

And it's made worse because some creaks will wake him up and some he will sleep through. I feel like a sleep deprived Indiana Jones at night

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Can you put some carpeting down on the floor to possibly muffle sounds?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Having siblings helped my kids learn to sleep through loud noises, so that's one way to get them that skill.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Our cats run around with the zoomies right at the kids’ bedtime. From downstairs it sounds like bowling balls and they skitter their polydactyl feet around each corner. It has never been a problem.

Kid sleep is really weird.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Regrettably I must inform you that this ability does not continue indefinitely.
Our kids are the same age iirc so I think we've just lucked in with a sleeps-like-the-dead kid which I guess makes up with him being a pain in the butt to get to sleep. This display of hubris of course guarantees the next kid will wake up if we breathe too loudly.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
We live in an NYC apartment that faces a busy street. Nothing wakes up our 16-month-old. Tonight she slept through the smoke alarm going off four times. I'm going to enjoy every minute of this superpower.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I know in the future I will look back and miss these times, but I’m really looking forward to bedtime not taking two hours every night. I want to say “goodnight” to my kids and they can put themselves to bed. Instead my toddler is screaming about not wanting and then needing a blanket, which is waking up the baby, who decides he needs to scream too… MAMA I DON’T NEED SLEEP!!!! It’s the one and only thing I need right now.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Spoggerific posted:

My daughter, our first, is going to turn 5 months old in about a week. Things over here have finally settled down enough that I've found some time to post about it here.

There were a few hurdles at the start: I wasn't able to attend the birth due to COVID precautions, and hospital rules wouldn't let my wife use her phone to talk to me while she was in labor. With nothing to do but worry, I ended up sleeping through the birth at home. I got woken up at 7am by a phone call from the hospital telling me there had been an issue during the birth. I was told that my daughter had been transferred to a hospital with an NICU and to go ask the doctor there for more information. My wife was resting after labor at the birth hospital, so I couldn't really learn any details until I rushed over to the NICU hospital, in panic mode the entire time. When I got there, though, the news was good: the baby was mostly healthy, but my wife's water had broken early and our daughter had gotten an infection at some point before birth, and she just needed to stay in the NICU for a week to get some antibiotics.

Apparently our daughter's vital signs were concerning enough during and immediately after birth that they whisked her away from my wife before she even had a chance to hold her. When I went to visit the NICU hospital, I ended up holding our daughter first time before my wife, when originally I wasn't even supposed to see her until they came home from the hospital. After a few days of antibiotics, our daughter was discharged, and I brought her back to the birth hospital, where she and my wife were also discharged together a day later.

She's perfectly healthy now and meeting development milestones right on time, but I do have a few questions. I'm an American living in Japan, and my wife is Japanese, and I've noticed that the advice on how to raise children from English-language (both American and UK, etc.) and Japanese sources can different pretty significantly at times. This has resulted in a few disagreements between me and my wife, and I'd like to ask the thread's opinion on a few things.

First, in regards to bedding and sleeping arrangements. Nearly every English source I've read has said something to the effect of "IF YOU DARE TO USE A BLANKET AND OR PILLOW YOUR BABY WILL SUFFOCATE AND IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT". Meanwhile, Japanese sources have very little to say about SIDS or suffocation risk with blankets or sleeping arrangements; most cribs available at baby stores are still side-drop cribs, baby mattress sets usually come with a (relatively) heavy blanket and pillow, and I haven't seen anything suggesting only firm mattresses should be used. Because of this, my wife wants to cover our daughter with blankets while she's sleeping at night, taking a nap, or just awake and playing on her back. This wasn't so much of a problem when my daughter was born since it was summer, but now that it's getting cold my wife is wanting to use more blankets or heavier ones, and it's starting to scare me a little bit.

Is it really that bad of an idea to use blankets on a baby sleeping at night, especially one who's 5 months old and able to roll over to her stomach and back as much as she wants? I'm starting to think that maybe the warnings I've seen in English resources were maybe a little overprotective.

Second, English sources tend to recommend starting baby's first foods at 6 or 7 months, sometimes saying to wait until the baby can sit up on her own. Our pediatrician, though, suggested we could start with small spoonfuls of rice porridge as soon as 5 months. Obviously I'm going to follow the advice of a doctor over stuff I've read on the internet, but when did other people here start solid foods?

I've got more questions, but this post is already long enough and they aren't exactly pressing, so I'll ask some other time.

Re: food, my (not a physician) understanding is that the rationale for 6-7 months is that it's a sweet spot between the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding and the point where the baby starts needing dietary iron because their reserves from birth are running out. Note that this doesn't apply to formula-feed babies.

But more recent research has been showing that 4-7 months is the best window to be exposing kids to as many foods as possible so as to reduce their chances of developing allergies.

So really there are good arguments either way and you're not likely to go wrong. (Obviously follow the advice of your kid's doctor too.)

And for what it's worth we offered our kid solids at 4.5 months. He ate them, but pooped them out undigested. So we only really made it more of a thing around 5.5 months.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Spoggerific posted:

First, in regards to bedding and sleeping arrangements. Nearly every English source I've read has said something to the effect of "IF YOU DARE TO USE A BLANKET AND OR PILLOW YOUR BABY WILL SUFFOCATE AND IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT". Meanwhile, Japanese sources have very little to say about SIDS or suffocation risk with blankets or sleeping arrangements; most cribs available at baby stores are still side-drop cribs, baby mattress sets usually come with a (relatively) heavy blanket and pillow, and I haven't seen anything suggesting only firm mattresses should be used. Because of this, my wife wants to cover our daughter with blankets while she's sleeping at night, taking a nap, or just awake and playing on her back. This wasn't so much of a problem when my daughter was born since it was summer, but now that it's getting cold my wife is wanting to use more blankets or heavier ones, and it's starting to scare me a little bit.

Is it really that bad of an idea to use blankets on a baby sleeping at night, especially one who's 5 months old and able to roll over to her stomach and back as much as she wants? I'm starting to think that maybe the warnings I've seen in English resources were maybe a little overprotective.

Second, English sources tend to recommend starting baby's first foods at 6 or 7 months, sometimes saying to wait until the baby can sit up on her own. Our pediatrician, though, suggested we could start with small spoonfuls of rice porridge as soon as 5 months. Obviously I'm going to follow the advice of a doctor over stuff I've read on the internet, but when did other people here start solid foods?

Formally yeah, nobody wants to be the guy to be like "actually, it's fine, you can use blankets" and then THAT ONE TIME, the baby suffocates

So like, I don't advise you to put blankets in the crib, but I definitely wouldn't give you poo poo for it if you did

THAT SAID

if you dig into the research, something like every single suffocation blanket statistic came from a cold weather location like Wisconsin, and happened during the winter, except one, out of hundreds of days points, so,

Definitely do not take my advice, but light thin breathable half blankets, probably a low to moderate risk; thick heavy "I live in northern Japan and holy poo poo it's cold AF here, load up the crib with blankets": probably a really bad idea

They make impressively warm onesies/sleepers/sleep sacks, I'd look into that. If you lived in Florida and felt guilty about not providing a flimsy sheet, that's another thing.

As for starting on solid foods, don't even think about it until they can sit up unassisted. If they can't even process the world upright yet, solid foods is going to be an unmitigated disaster. We started (:airquote: "started") solids when ours was 5 or 6 months and crawling and that felt about right, maybe even early.

I was really concerned about transitioning my child from formula to solids, since I mostly think eating is a waste of time and boring, but it turns out the reason why restaurants bars etc are really popular is that humans really really like eating, they're hard wired for it, don't worry about it, it'll happen on its own

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Here’s a new milestone for us tonight. Our three year old got offered the customary two options for winding down before bedtime, both leading to the inevitable bath and sleep. The response was a system breaking “I want a third option”:agesilaus:

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
My son, who has always been small (he's been at the bottom of the growth curve his whole life if he wasn't actually below it) has his fourth ear infection and it's making him vomit every day and not want to eat anything. I'm keeping a careful eye on his hydration status, making sure he's putting out wet diapers but man this is awful. I just want to keep him out of the hospital. We gave him oral rehydration solution with electrolytes this morning after he puked up water twice. But he kept down the rehydration solution and then weirdly wanted to eat some fish. I wanted his solids to be something bland like a rice cake or a bagel but he adamantly refused all carby options and desperately wanted the fish his dad was eating. We gave him a small amount, waited a few minutes to make sure he didn't immediately puke it up, gave him a little more. Fish in vinegar, who knew. Now he's taking a nap. This is exhausting, I hate having a sick kid. The ENT we saw last week didn't want to talk about putting tubes in his ears until he's at least two (he's 22 months now) but my god his little body can't handle these bouts of not eating for days. If he had more meat on his bones he'd have some wiggle room but he's a scrawny little dude.

Also we are in Spain and from what I've been able to tell from our last few years dealing with the healthcare system here, there is no way to call the pediatrician just to ask a question especially if it's during off-hours. The system is "come in when we're open or go to the ER." It's the worst when I just want to ask hey my kid vomited 25 minutes after his antibiotic, should we give him another dose?

I'm really tired.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Hadlock posted:

They make impressively warm onesies/sleepers/sleep sacks, I'd look into that. If you lived in Florida and felt guilty about not providing a flimsy sheet, that's another thing.

Just mentioning that I’m a convert to the merino Woolino sleep sacks. They’re cozy, fit a big range of sizes, and regulate temperature really well. I’d 100% recommend them or give as a nice shower gift if you live in an area with different seasons/house with uneven heating.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

BadSamaritan posted:

Just mentioning that I’m a convert to the merino Woolino sleep sacks. They’re cozy, fit a big range of sizes, and regulate temperature really well. I’d 100% recommend them or give as a nice shower gift if you live in an area with different seasons/house with uneven heating.

Seconding these, they are expensive but excellent. Speaking from experience, buy two (or three) in case your kid pukes or has a blowout at night.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My kid wakes up at 4:30: I wake up tired af wishing I could go back to sleep

My kid wakes up at 7: I wake up at 4:30 refreshed and wide awake

TV Zombie posted:

Can you put some carpeting down on the floor to possibly muffle sounds?

We have a rug with padding under it to dampen the noise for the downstairs neighbors. The buildings just really old and kinda lovely.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

nachos posted:

Seconding these, they are expensive but excellent. Speaking from experience, buy two (or three) in case your kid pukes or has a blowout at night.

Yeah we had one and it was great, used it for a long time even when blankets were OK

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I love the Merlin sleep suit. It made both our babies sleep really well and it’s super cute, it makes them look like Michelin men

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tom Smykowski posted:

My kid wakes up at 4:30: I wake up tired af wishing I could go back to sleep

My kid wakes up at 7: I wake up at 4:30 refreshed and wide awake

This is me to a T

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

boquiabierta posted:

The ENT we saw last week didn't want to talk about putting tubes in his ears until he's at least two (he's 22 months now)
Why?

We had tubes placed in my son at 13 months after he had something like five ear infections in the first year. I think the criteria is three infections in six months or four in one year. Either way, that was a common age to have them placed. If your kiddo is getting hospitalized over ear infections I'd be demanding them at this point.

Tubes are like a five minute procedure to place--an hour total for anesthesia. Treating ear infections becomes using a few antibiotic "eye" drops whenever you see discharge. They usually fall out on their own after a couple of years.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

It’s funny how after two kids I have such deep, intense opinions about baby gear. I also have deep, intense loathing of the gear research process and the marketing for all that stuff.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

iv46vi posted:

Here’s a new milestone for us tonight. Our three year old got offered the customary two options for winding down before bedtime, both leading to the inevitable bath and sleep. The response was a system breaking “I want a third option”:agesilaus:

Good luck goon, sounds like this motherfucker has been doing a renegade playthrough of mass effect :aaaaa:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My family left yesterday. Coincidentally the baby slept in til 8am today because he wasn't woken up by loud crashing noises.

8am is an amazing time.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

iv46vi posted:

Third option: sitting there doing nothing, then bath and sleep.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shifty Pony posted:

Third option: sitting there doing nothing, then bath and sleep.

The tiny tyrant does *not* react well when she's informed that's the option she's chosen by not picking one of the other two so your mileage may vary.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It's hard to be concerned about my son's 8th hour of screen time right now while my wife works a 12 hour shift on a Sunday and I'm cleaning puppy dookie out of the carpet for the third time today.

I thought I could handle the puppy rearing I just wasn't expecting the endless diarrhea for two days straight.

Edit: Dinner was the winning combo of gold fish, potato chips, and apple sauce. I won't say who's dinner that was.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Somehow the baby got poo in his armpit :iiam:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

In a little less than twelve hours I'm going to be booting the ogre toddler off at daycare for the first time in a week.

My pity for the nice people that look after him is only surpassed by my desire to not have to deal with the hellion for a bit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

remigious posted:

Somehow the baby got poo in his armpit :iiam:

We had a blowout in the car seat on the way to Thanksgiving that made it to his hair. Nothing on the car seat, but everywhere else. Nothing like showing up at family's house and going "hi, can we use your tub for a few minutes?"

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My three year old does preschool MWF for three hours a day. After having Wednesday and Friday off from school for vacation and me working from home, I completely loving get why parents hate Christmas break so much.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Starting to get a little freaked out about daycare. Two kids in different classes have popped positive in the past month. They were asymptomatic. One was tested prior to medical procedure. Other no idea why they tested; but, lines up with Thanksgiving. So my theory is a guest had symptoms later. It's the asymptomatic thing that scares me. The daycare is very diligent about temperature checks and symptoms.

I'm just rambling here. I wish the only concern I had was if my kid was doing well in school and not this unseen COVID.

I wonder if we should keep the kid out of daycare the week following any major holidays.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
On day 9 of RSV symptoms I think it’s finally calming down. Glad he will go back to daycare this week and pick up whatever poo poo all the other kids picked up over thanksgiving!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Why?

We had tubes placed in my son at 13 months after he had something like five ear infections in the first year. I think the criteria is three infections in six months or four in one year. Either way, that was a common age to have them placed. If your kiddo is getting hospitalized over ear infections I'd be demanding them at this point.

Tubes are like a five minute procedure to place--an hour total for anesthesia. Treating ear infections becomes using a few antibiotic "eye" drops whenever you see discharge. They usually fall out on their own after a couple of years.

Yeah we had tubes put in our oldest kid at about that age, it went great and no more horrible ear infections. None of the other kids needed it, but when you need it you need it.