Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sloober posted:

Machine events seem way rarer now, and maybe it's just personal bias but they are like 75% omen towers

I haven't seen any, all of my omen towers have been going to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Definitely noticing a lack of events at the entry chamber right under the pod in every mission now that I was seeing from the last update.

e;
https://i.imgur.com/mKGAoWE.mp4

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 29, 2021

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

aniviron posted:

I haven't seen any, all of my omen towers have been going to you.

You son of a bitch!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Alkydere posted:

earlier I saw the opposite of "Oblivious Engineer": "Over-helpful Engineer." Just lobbing platforms left, right and center. Roof cluster of minerals? Have 2, maybe 3 platforms. Someone call a resupply? Plug the ceiling hole every time! Both Gunner and Driller have provided access to a shelf with zipline and hole? Create stairs!

Was it necessary to call me out in the thread like this?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Triarii posted:

Heck I'm level 98 in the season pass and I don't even have half of the OCs for the new weapons yet.

This blows my mind because I'm Season Pass Level 27 and have all of them while also having been extremely slacking on doing Deep Dives and Elite Deep Dives.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'd rather a Engineer/Scout who's too zealous with their Platforms/Flares than one who's just an absolute miser with them, the former is funny while the latter is just plain obnoxious to have to play around

This is also why I Max out ammo for platforms and take at least one ammo mod for flares too, so I can be generous with them without worrying too much about running out before the next supply drop

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

mrking posted:

I think if you damage them evenly they won't do the heal thing.
They always do it at least once, but otherwise yes.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Sometimes its worth making them do it if you need a breather to res/resupply.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Alkydere posted:

Anyways, earlier I saw the opposite of "Oblivious Engineer": "Over-helpful Engineer." Just lobbing platforms left, right and center. Roof cluster of minerals? Have 2, maybe 3 platforms. Someone call a resupply? Plug the ceiling hole every time! Both Gunner and Driller have provided access to a shelf with zipline and hole? Create stairs!

This is me. You have 32 goddamn platforms, it's a waste to only use 1 only for the scout, use em everywhere. Plug dem holes, make dem bridges, help out that gunner, mark that driller tunnel entrance

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm still low level I guess, I just unlocked zhukovs dual smgs for scout and it owns

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm still low level I guess, I just unlocked zhukovs dual smgs for scout and it owns

The Explosive Reload Overclock is real fun with it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

skaianDestiny posted:

The Explosive Reload Overclock is real fun with it.

I got that OC before I ever actually tried the zhukovs so I had it equipped on my first test run of them, and it's just such bonkers damage that I've never bothered to try any other OC

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
What are overclocks? Endgame mods I presume

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, they're the endgame grind other than cosmetic stuff. You get them highly randomly so you kind of have to work with what you've got; some of them are just a bit of a buff to a weapon's stats, while others dramatically change what the weapon's entire role is.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Correct. Once you promote any class for the first time you can start getting a handful of matrix cores every week, which you can make into random Overclocks or cosmetics.

You have clean overclocks, which give small bonuses (like a boost to max ammo and cooling time on the Gunner's minigun), balanced overclocks, which give a bigger boost with a small penalty (like a massive boost to ammo but reduced firing speed on the minigun), and unstable overclocks, which have a massive boost with a heavy penalty (like a huge damage boost, but stun chance is heavily cut and you can't move while firing).

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

BisbyWorl posted:

Correct. Once you promote any class for the first time you can start getting a handful of matrix cores every week, which you can make into random Overclocks or cosmetics.

You have clean overclocks, which give small bonuses (like a boost to max ammo and cooling time on the Gunner's minigun), balanced overclocks, which give a bigger boost with a small penalty (like a massive boost to ammo but reduced firing speed on the minigun), and unstable overclocks, which have a massive boost with a heavy penalty (like a huge damage boost, but stun chance is heavily cut and you can't move while firing).
Some are more creative too. There's one for the scout's shotgun that adds so much recoil that you can basically use them as a backup grapple hook to fly all over the map with.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zephro posted:

Some are more creative too. There's one for the scout's shotgun that adds so much recoil that you can basically use them as a backup grapple hook to fly all over the map with.

Im poo poo with it but a friend is amazing and routinely flies around like Superman. They’re the same way with the rj45 on the launcher :argh:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Kitfox88 posted:

Im poo poo with it but a friend is amazing and routinely flies around like Superman. They’re the same way with the rj45 on the launcher :argh:

In my experience its easiest to use as liftoff to cross massive distance, jump and shoot down and reverse and use the grapple to adjust/land. Extraction maps are some of the best for it even without doing crazy tricks it just adds a ton of mobility to scout.

https://i.imgur.com/jAtaxXx.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/jvYKIB2.mp4

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Kitfox88 posted:

i'm kinda poo poo with it too but it's useful for saving yourself when you misjudge a high grapple and plummet to the ground :v:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I have an important question regarding the special powder overclock.

Can you grab an aquarq/whatever on the way by and use it to move those around fast?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unfortunately I can't think of a way to dig the Aquarq out and pick it up without having to stop. But if you need Special Powder to reach it then it's probably high overhead and you can just toss it right down to the minehead.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Zephro posted:

i'm kinda poo poo with it too but it's useful for saving yourself when you misjudge a high grapple and plummet to the ground :v:

Hoverclock is also very good for this, now that the M1000 is strong enough to stand on its own with the base stats. I use special powder for launching around and fighting only so I never have to worry about ammo, with hoverclock and grapple to catch myself. Probably overkill and I'm still poo poo with it also, but it's a lot of fun.

Kitfox88 posted:

RJ45 savants are just the worst :argh:

That guy ZazyMomba who makes the crazy videos of it offered to teach me when I posted a question about his build, and even with all of his very kind protips I just could not hack it. It's so much trickier than special powder to fly with, it hurts you so you have to plan farther ahead, and I couldn't get over not having a functional secondary to fall back on. You have to be so good with the remaining tools

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

If you played any TF2 at all as Soldier and practiced rocket jumping Special Powder and rj45 are basically the same thing. You flick back behind you at an angle and fire as you jump. While I don't think DRG is on Source where being in the air matters vs being on the ground, it still helps. Haven't practiced nearly as much with rj45 though, I may need to play around with it some.

Did try out Volatile Mix OC the other night with goons on the Sludge Pump and uh, it feel really good? With the normal shot damage boost mod it one taps grunts with the DoT damage added, only a couple of shots for slashers and with the t5 Armor Breaking mods leaves Praets and Guards totally naked with only a couple of shots, with the actual dps just slamming normal shots to kill it if need be. Charged shots deal okay damage too but you won't really use it much aside from really tight ground chokes. Gonna have to try it on Eliminations to see how it does vs Dreads.

Most importantly all you need it one shot to kill shellback hatchlings and 2-3 for the big ones. I'm curious if they have a weakness to corrosion because both types just crumple to the dot and direct damage.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Unfortunately I can't think of a way to dig the Aquarq out and pick it up without having to stop. But if you need Special Powder to reach it then it's probably high overhead and you can just toss it right down to the minehead.

I mean once the aquarq is out and on the ground. Launching yourself across the map holding it would be way faster/more fun than just schlepping it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you're hosting there's a glitch where you look up real quick while throwing and you'll yeet the Aquarq right up to the space rig

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I am having axe problems

https://i.imgur.com/rwudb4T.mp4

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just remember that it doesn't make you any less of a dwarf

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

got a lot of that on the deep dive yesterday and boy was it making me cross

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Zephro posted:

I got Bullet Hell for the minigun and it has completely changed how fun Gunner is for me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Embedded Detonators on the zhukovs is so good but I’ve been finding it a little awkward with the plasma carbine. The main problem I have is taking out wardens and menaces at a distance, which neither weapon is particularly good at… but the boomstick doesn’t really cover that niche either. Is Shaped Shells the answer here? 1100 hours in and there’s still a lot of overclocks I’ve simply never used.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Are you running the -recoil/spread mod for the zukovs? I find it lets me tag things fine at medium range and even long range if just pulse the trigger a bit and accept a few shots missing. Still good dps.

Regardless, scout's primary has traditionally been accurate/long range orientated, so if you're taking OCs that effect that you kinda have to accept that it changes how you play the character a bit.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Serephina posted:

Are you running the -recoil/spread mod for the zukovs? I find it lets me tag things fine at medium range and even long range if just pulse the trigger a bit and accept a few shots missing. Still good dps.

Regardless, scout's primary has traditionally been accurate/long range orientated, so if you're taking OCs that effect that you kinda have to accept that it changes how you play the character a bit.

The accuracy of the carbine is not an issue; the poor weakpoint damage is, and that’s just inherent to the carbine. Hence why I was trying to find an alternative in the secondaries to fill the gap. Embdets do okay at range but it chews up precious ammo. I switched to the clean OC for the zhuks as an experiment and they did… a little better at range (better ammo/mags), and a little worse at big boys, as expected. Not really a solution.

I’m willing to accept it’s just a weakness of the build but I figured I’d ask.

eta: It occurs to me I could switch away from Plasma Splash if I wanted better weakpoint damage, but that's not happening, so I guess I've made my bed in that regard.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 30, 2021

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

The accuracy of the carbine is not an issue; the poor weakpoint damage is, and that’s just inherent to the carbine. Hence why I was trying to find an alternative in the secondaries to fill the gap. Embdets do okay at range but it chews up precious ammo. I switched to the clean OC for the zhuks as an experiment and they did… a little better at range (better ammo/mags), and a little worse at big boys, as expected. Not really a solution.

Just use the Zhukovs with the gas recycling overdrive , get in, get out mod, and breakthrough mod. Let’s you do a bunch of up front damage without worrying about hitting weak points.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Back Hack posted:

Just use the Zhukovs with the gas recycling overdrive , get in, get out mod, and breakthrough mod. Let’s you do a bunch of up front damage without worrying about hitting weak points.

That doesn't solve the issue of engaging them at range, like a menace on the ceiling. I can play aggro with embdets and that works fine, I just mean when that isn't practical.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

What do you have on the Carbine? I found I solved a lot of my ranged damaged woes when I switched out Plasma Splash with Overcharged PCF.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Presently using bouncy shots, so Plasma Splash is irreplaceable. Plasma Carbine in general fits my playstyle in FPS games better, which is to say, more aggro -- so I've found that either bouncy shots or Overtuned Particle Accelerator are my best picks.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

RyokoTK posted:

eta: It occurs to me I could switch away from Plasma Splash if I wanted better weakpoint damage, but that's not happening, so I guess I've made my bed in that regard.

Yea sorry I wasn't clear, my point was that if you're using the plasma carbine you're accepting that you don't have long range sniping power, doubly so on weakpoints, as the secondaries can never fill that role. You can try to force a square peg through a round hole by taking +speed -spread mods, but that's a godawful build and still doesn't do good weakpoint damage since I'm fairly sure the carbine is like the EPC in that it does almost no kinetic.

You've already come to this conclusion so I'm just loudly agreeing with you for third party readers, I guess.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 30, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Serephina posted:

but that's a godawful build and still doesn't do good weakpoint damage since I'm fairly sure the carbine is like the EPC in that it does almost no kinetic.
That doesn't affect weakpoint damage. The only things that do are the weakpoint value of the enemy, the weakpoint modifier on the weapon(which puts on another multiplier that stacks with the enemy's weakpoint value), and if it does AoE damage.

AoE damage specifically doesn't get boosted by weakpoints, so if you take plasma splash on drak it gets lowered weakpoint damage. But if you don't, drak is getting getting the same x2 damage against menace weakpoints as if you shot it with M1K, or minigun, or any other weapon that doesn't have an innate +weakpoint damage modifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
TIL! I was sure of that kinetic thing, but I can't find it anywhere. Explains why the scout's fire shotgun is still so good.

Did find this gem on the wiki tho:

quote:

False: "Doretta's health goes up faster if several dwarves are repairing her"
While the drilldozer's speed depends on how many dwarves (and enemies) are in close vicinity, this is not the case for repair speed. Only one player has to be repairing the damaged sides, and Doretta's health does not replenish faster with more dwarves repairing.

That just like, unintuitive, man.