Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Pretty sure that's just leaves.

Should have made up a leaf based cryptid instead.

Like a stick bug but spooky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

8one6 posted:

Like a stick bug but spooky.

Exactly! There should be more bug cryptids.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ahh, like disco elysium *nod nod*

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
How would you even go about creating a hoax these days? So many drones and satellites and dna testing and everything.

I'm probably suffering a failure of imagination, or need to do it in a heavily red state.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Beachcomber posted:

How would you even go about creating a hoax these days? So many drones and satellites and dna testing and everything.

I'm probably suffering a failure of imagination, or need to do it in a heavily red state.

I mean, if you go by what's reported on and what the believer community latches all you need is a compelling story and a camera that refuses to focus.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Exactly! There should be more bug cryptids.

How about a giant Congolese spider?

https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/J%27ba_FoFi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_JVtiKVedY
(The video is super underwhelming. Skip to 0:40 for the "spider")

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Beachcomber posted:

speaking of drones, i mean there was that entire jetpack man thing, you could probably dress a drone up like mothman and do a similar hoax

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Beachcomber posted:

The Buzzfeed Unsolved crew tried to create a viral hoax video and pretty much nailed it, they decided to make a 'generic' video with a creepy thing happening in the background which they initially "didn't notice" when they uploaded the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhGVggvrzWo

Here's a similar one someone else did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK5AalBUNaU

Snooze Cruise posted:

speaking of drones, i mean there was that entire jetpack man thing, you could probably dress a drone up like mothman and do a similar hoax

NGL I started thinking about doing this recently. You could easily give it glowing red eyes using lightweight LEDs and even fit it with a speaker with a random timer so it screeched and yelled

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Evidence against this sort of stuff has never been a deterrent in the past. Plenty of people still believe in crop circles. Most folks into this stuff Want To Believe, which lends a lot of leeway.

Plus people are dumb and gullible.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I wish I had any crafting skills at all, because I just had a very interesting idea.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pretty sure that's just leaves.

Should have made up a leaf based cryptid instead.

How about a cryptid that camouflages itself with pareidolia?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DandyLion posted:

How about a cryptid that camouflages itself with pareidolia?

Dear god, it would be unstoppable :stonk:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dear god, it would be unstoppable :stonk:

Not a safe skeptic in the world once that fell beast is on the prowl.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

They're not "real" cryptids, but the algorithm gave me YouTube video the other day about an artist creating an alt-history with giant bug cryptids that seems pretty cool and relevant to the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH85bbDm1xI

Also this new Monstrum that just went up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wws89pdCDY

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A lot of analog horror youtube series uses insects and such as part of their spooky world. I know Gemini Home Entertainment has so.ething called a Woodcrawler that is decidedly spider like.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

you're not going to find bigfoot in loving Wolverhampton

Well yeah if you're in Wolverhampton and you see something big, shambling, weird and hairy then that's just your common or garden Alan Moore.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly I'd rather run into a Bigfoot than Alan Moore

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought Moore was from Birmingham

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Alan Moore hates all adaptations of his work, Bigfoot is perfectly cool with Harry and the Hendersons

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Alan Moore hates all adaptations of his work, Bigfoot is perfectly cool with Harry and the Hendersons

That's because all the adaptations are bad except 'For the Man who has Everything'

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Alan Moore is from (and still lives in) Northampton, about 50/60 miles away to the east of Birmingham/Wolverhampton.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The_Doctor posted:

Alan Moore is from (and still lives in) Northampton, about 50/60 miles away to the east of Birmingham/Wolverhampton.

His body may be there, but where he lives is probably beyond comprehension.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my sister went to college in England, married a guy from over there briefly, and returned home with many baleful tales of ghostly black dogs. need to get me a Church Grim, gonna consecrate my apartment as a church.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

The_Doctor posted:

gently caress me, so he is. Why was I convinced it was Wolverhampton? I must have picked that up from somewhere.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't think I've seen this before, the co-op tabletop game Horrified: American Monsters sounds really rad and is something I really want to pick up.

Game description posted:

In this co-operative game, you face off against classic American nightmarish beasts: Bigfoot, Mothman, the Jersey Devil, the Chupacabra, the Banshee of the Badlands, and the Ozark Howler. The more creatures in the game, the harder the challenge, with players needing to use their unique powers to figure out how to defeat each monster.

I found a review that makes it sound generally fun and worth looking into.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I haven't played that version but the Universal Monsters one was a solid enough time. It plays kind of like a Pandemic-light game if you've played that

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Have we ever seen Alan Moore and Bigfoot in the same room?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alhazred posted:

Have we ever seen Alan Moore and Bigfoot in the same room?

I'm going to say Yes, but not the way you mean.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
On the topic of comics, I was thinking about Swamp-Thing the other day and how the concept (if not the plot, I haven't actually seen any Swamp-Thing related media in a long, long time though I heard the 2019 TV series was good, which is why I was thinking about it) has a lot in common with cryptid stories and wondering how much inspiration it took from them. That got me thinking about how many cryptids are directly tied to popular culture, for example the original siting of the chupacabra involved a woman walking home from seeing the movie Species at the theater, and the descriptions of mokele-mbembe and other "living dinosaur" type cryptids have more in common with the dinosaurs in old movies than with what we currently know about dinosaurs from scientific evidence.

Does anyone know of any other interactions between pop culture and cryptozoology (other than direct adaptations of cryptid stories, I'm not looking for Harry and the Hendersons, more cryptids that were clearly inspired by movie monsters or original movie monsters that have elements of cryptids in their design)?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Monstrum does a pretty great job breaking down the pop cultural origins of some cryptids where it's relevant, but yeah I'd love to see a channel dedicated to showing the evolution of cryptids and supernatural monster depictions over time.

It's definitely the focus of my documentary on blob creatures that I'm gonna finish... some day.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

stereobreadsticks posted:

On the topic of comics, I was thinking about Swamp-Thing the other day and how the concept (if not the plot, I haven't actually seen any Swamp-Thing related media in a long, long time though I heard the 2019 TV series was good, which is why I was thinking about it) has a lot in common with cryptid stories and wondering how much inspiration it took from them. That got me thinking about how many cryptids are directly tied to popular culture, for example the original siting of the chupacabra involved a woman walking home from seeing the movie Species at the theater, and the descriptions of mokele-mbembe and other "living dinosaur" type cryptids have more in common with the dinosaurs in old movies than with what we currently know about dinosaurs from scientific evidence.

Does anyone know of any other interactions between pop culture and cryptozoology (other than direct adaptations of cryptid stories, I'm not looking for Harry and the Hendersons, more cryptids that were clearly inspired by movie monsters or original movie monsters that have elements of cryptids in their design)?

I've been fascinated by the Department of Truth series for the last few months. It's not exclusively cryptid related, but it pulls in the whole cryptid/conspiracy side of Americana in a really interesting way. Mild thematic spoilers for the hook of the plot (revealed pretty early on): Basically it delves into the idea that concepts like Bigfoot can come into being if there's enough of a cultural belief in them, and that there are factions within and outside the government that are using this to push history in a way that benefits their own ends. All fun and fascinating stuff if you want a weird, different take on :tinfoil: ideas.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

There were a lot of pulp adventure stories from the early 1800s up into the mid 1900s about giant ape creatures and intelligent apes and human-like apes and apes with human minds which would have definitely formed part of the inspiration for Bigfoot and all the related stories. Pop culture was very concerned about the threat posed by weird ape things. Once the bigfoot story kicked off then pretty much any earlier local story or myth or legend about hairy people or ape creatures was then folded into the story.

The very first newspaper stories about the 1924 Ape Canyon incident describes the creatures as gorillas or 'mountain devils', although it did mention that they walked upright:

The Portland, Oregon Oregonian of July 13, 1924 posted:

Fight With Big Apes Reported By Miners Fabled Beasts Are Said to Have Bombarded Cabin One of Animals, Said to Appear Like Huge Gorilla, Is Killed by Party

Kelso, Wash., July 12 - (Special) The strangest story to come from the Cascade mountains was brought to Kelso today by Marion Smith, his son Roy Smith, Fred Beck, Gabe Lefever and John Peterson, who encountered the fabled 'mountain devils' or mountain gorillas of Mount St. Helens this week, shooting one of them and being attacked throughout the night by rock bombardments of the beasts.

The men had been prospecting a claim on the Muddy, a branch of the Lewis River about eight miles from Spirit Lake, 45 miles from Castle Rock. They declared that they saw four of the huge animals, which were about 7 feet tall, weighed about 400 pounds and walked erect. Smith and his companions declared that they had seen the tracks of the animals several times in the last six years and Indians have told of the 'mountain devils' for 60 years, but none of the animals ever has been seen before.

Smith met with one of the animals and fired at it with a revolver, he said. Thursday Fred Beck, it is said, shot one, the body falling over a precipice. That night the animals bombarded the cabin where the men were stopping with showers of rocks, many of them large ones, knocking chunks out of the log cabin, according to the prospectors. Many of the rocks fell through a hole in the roof and two of the rocks struck Beck, one of them rendering him unconscious for nearly two hours.

The animals were said to have been the appearance of huge gorillas. They are covered with long, black hair. Their ears are about four inches long and stick straight up. They have four toes, short and stubby. The tracks are 13 to 14 inches long. These tracks have been seen by forest rangers and prospectors for years.

The prospectors built a new cabin this year and it is believed it is close to a cave thought to be occupied by the animals. Mr. Smith believes he knows the location of the cave. (Green, 45)

By the time the story was picked up by other papers the following day that had changed to "mountain devils, gorillas or wild men"
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=qFMiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RacFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3542%2C985048

..... and soon that had changed to "'tall gorilla men', or 'ape men'"
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=wOYkAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ChMGAAAAIBAJ&pg=1141%2C391215

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Nov 30, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Can confirm that Department of Truth is a good comic for conspiracy heads. It's a slowish burn, which is frustrating, but someone coming at it fresh and with a chunk of issues to read will like it.

Trouble is that extra-textual question: is this a limited series with a finite end in mind, or...?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Trouble is that extra-textual question: is this a limited series with a finite end in mind, or...?

It feels like it has an end goal in mind to me. But I have no actual information to support that, and one of my biggest complaints about comics is when they just kind of move forward indefinitely without that. In the meantime, I'm still really enjoying it though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

feedmyleg posted:

Monstrum does a pretty great job breaking down the pop cultural origins of some cryptids where it's relevant, but yeah I'd love to see a channel dedicated to showing the evolution of cryptids and supernatural monster depictions over time.

It's definitely the focus of my documentary on blob creatures that I'm gonna finish... some day.

There's a good book I have called Abominable Science that does this. Goes into the history of different cryptids in the stories that evolved in our modern thinking. The section on Bigfoot talks about how the Native American myths that are cited as the proof that Bigfoot has been a thing for eons are less "bigfoot walks among us" and more "There are hairy primitives that live in the woods that suck compared to us, who know how to build houses and cook our food".

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Not cryptids, but there's been several observations that UFO / alien sightings go through fads and fashions about how they're depicted - lights in the sky, blonde Nordics imparting wisdom, greys kidnapping people. These show up in movies and TV, and so could influence people's ideas but are also a product of culture themselves.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nonathlon posted:

Not cryptids, but there's been several observations that UFO / alien sightings go through fads and fashions about how they're depicted - lights in the sky, blonde Nordics imparting wisdom, greys kidnapping people. These show up in movies and TV, and so could influence people's ideas but are also a product of culture themselves.

In the 1800s and early 1900s there were a whole bunch of sensationalist newspaper reports of UFOs which were made out of wood and canvas and had propellers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

In the 1800s and early 1900s there were a whole bunch of sensationalist newspaper reports of UFOs which were made out of wood and canvas and had propellers

That was back when aliens had to put in actual effort to visit earth, just try and imagine aliens these days traveling thousands of light years without their hyperspeed and dimensional jumpers and whatnot :bahgawd:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the aliens from the 1800s weren't actually aliens, they were from the hollow earth. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
After binging through this thread, I was inspired to do a write-up on the cryptids in my home state of Connecticut. It’s a small, eclectic little mix that consists of:

Melon Heads - There are competing legends about small populations of little humanoid-looking beings with enormous, bulbous heads living deep in the woods in various spots mainly in the southwest of the state. Some stories say that they’re the result of centuries of inbreeding by some folks who were were a little too rural for their own good, but there’s at least one story that says that they are escapees from a mental institution whose heads swelled up after resorting to cannibalism in the woods (which is genuinely funny to me considering how pretty densely populated that part of the state is). Either way, in several towns there are heavily wooded backroads where they supposedly live, and if you drive through at night they’ll attack and chase you away. Similar “monsters-resulting-from-inbreeding” legends specific to particular towns in the state are the Frog-Headed People of Danbury, in the west of the state. Often mentioned alongside the Melon Heads but not quite as similar are the Faceless People of Monroe, a bunch of unfortunates who live in an old barn under the watch of a caretaker and supposedly have no eyes, ears, or noses - just mouths and pale lips. There are also Melon Heads reportedly in Ohio and Michigan too.

(One of the Melon Head roads)

Winsted Wild Man - In 1895, the editor of the town of Winsted local paper, the Evening Citizen, wrote how a selectman out for a walk encountered what he described as a tall naked man covered in long, streaming black hair who leapt from some blackberry bushes and frightened him and his dog. After this was reported in a local paper, a brief hysteria followed, and not only were sightings reported all around the area, but at one point concerned citizens organized a militia to try and track this wild man down. Most likely it was just a hoax completely fabricated by the newspaper editor, but there were a few scattered sightings decades later in the 1970’s. He's been variously depicted as a super hairy dude and as a New England Sasquatch.

Black Dog of Hanging Hills - Connecticut has its own take on the phantom black dog legends from English folklore, except that ours has been described as small, spaniel-sized little thing that will appear around Hubbard Park, nestled in the Hanging Hills that overlook the small city of Meriden. When it appears, it leaves no footprints in its wake and makes absolutely no sounds, even when it opens its mouth to bark or howl. It's reported to be very friendly and will happily approach you and follow along but a bit, but it's not someone you want to become close pals with. As the legend goes, one sighting is good luck, two is a warning, and the third means impending death. Six deaths are attributed to running into this lil' doggy the fatal three times.

Glawackus - In 1939, a creature was sighted several times around the town of Glastonbury, frightening locals as it supposedly preyed on pets and small farm animals. It had a variety of descriptions but was most commonly described as half dog, half cat. Many have since theorized that it was just a wandering fisher cat which had become almost extinct in the area at the time and were a pretty rare sight (they have since been successfully reintroduced to Connecticut and now live all throughout the state again). Its wonderfully dumb name is a combination of “gla” for Glastonbury, “wack” for wacky, and “-us” just to have a Latin-sounding ending.

They might not be much, but I am still proud to have them as my local weirdos!

IBroughttheFunk has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Dec 2, 2021