Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
FWIW, according to ADB, Black Library pays surprisingly well, and some of their series (HH, and any big 4 Space Marine books) sell like hotcakes.

quote:

Firstly, Black Library's sales (and therefore, its royalties) put the majority of science-fiction and fantasy to shame. That's not hyperbole. The vast majority of SF&F novels don't sell all that well at all, and the industry is generally carried by the bleeding edge >1% of Big Names and their releases. Licensed fiction is an anomaly in that it generally comes with an established audience already, and in terms of 40K, that established audience is absolutely massive. I've known several BL authors to talk about their 40K sales with other SF&F authors, and the non-40K authors' eyes either light up or narrow at the figures being mentioned.

On that note, there's a wildly disproportionate number of authors writing for BL that are full-time writers. That's a big and strange deal. Sometimes they focus purely/mostly on BL, other times they write elsewhere, but the proportion of full-time writers in the BL gang is very skewed compared to the industry average, significantly in part to the fact that 40K novels sell so well. Basically, you can afford not to also work in a call centre or whatever else many, many other authors do. Even established, multi-book authors in the genre often have full-time or part-time day jobs. Again, almost anyone outside of the bleeding edge of Big Names. That's the reality of being an author these days.

So it's not as simple as BL "not paying enough." BL pays fine. Great, if we're being honest.

I could write much faster. BL have tried to get 6-7 Horus Heresy novels out of me, not just the 3 I've written, but I either turned them down for scheduling conflicts or wasn't feeling the urge to add to that part of the Heresy's storyline at the time. The Beast Arises Series made bank, and was always going to make bank, but I jumped off that to write my Grey Knights novel instead. I chose to write about the Night Lords when I had a chance to do a Space Marine Trilogy. I chose to do the Black Legion when I could've done, well, anything. And the sales figures for that series are both huge and honestly humbling, but if I was two books into a Blood Angel Series right now, I'd be swimming in gold like Scrooge McDuck.

Edit. Of course, Riot probably has more money than god, so if McNeill got a permanent position there, then he's probably getting the big bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think the staff position at RIOT likely pays well enough and takes so little effort that he can give zero fucks about it and still do his GW work on the side just fine.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah that may be true but it's still relative. Authors, except for a very few, don't make poo poo so even if BL authors are making 2-3x more than average sci Fi authors they are probably still making less than 100k a year and like 150k at the absolute most in a really good year.

Could be wrong but it's just not a lucrative industry.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

D-Pad posted:

Authors, except for a very few, don't make poo poo so even if BL authors are making 2-3x more than average sci Fi authors they are probably still making less than 100k a year and like 150k at the absolute most in a really good year.

You talking dollars, pounds or euros here?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Warden posted:

You talking dollars, pounds or euros here?

Yes.

It's like a 25% difference between them

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Zudgemud posted:

Yes.

It's like a 25% difference between them

The difference is quite a bit larger when you factor in the different costs of living. Like, it's a bit different if you're pulling 100k in dollars while living in the US or 100k in pounds while living in Scotland.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Of course you could say the same about the cost of living in New York vs rural Idaho.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
If I could work full time on writing about spacemens I would, why not

Too bad I am not an author of any skill or talent lol

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Warden posted:

The difference is quite a bit larger when you factor in the different costs of living. Like, it's a bit different if you're pulling 100k in dollars while living in the US or 100k in pounds while living in Scotland.

Also anyone pulling in 100k in pounds annually is considered "loving loaded" no matter if you're in Glasgow or London. Your worries at that point are if you can afford that Porsche or if you can send all 3 of your kids to private schools.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

Also anyone pulling in 100k in pounds annually is considered "loving loaded" no matter if you're in Glasgow or London. Your worries at that point are if you can afford that Porsche or if you can send all 3 of your kids to private schools.

Ironically, 40k in pounds is considered pretty drat good. 100k in pounds is serious money here (remember we have that dirty commie healthcare system, too - for now). £100k is multiple properties and a holiday home money.

The flip side of course being stability. Sure, you're a hot writer now, but that work can dry up fast so it's still hard to get a mortgage, etc.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
My takeaway is Abnett saying he could be swimming around in Scrooge McDuck pools at any given time but is doing whatever he wants speaks to me he's making a poo poo ton more than 100k of <insert foreign currency>. If McNeal left to go do games, he's probably comfortable enough he wanted to take a risk at change and having the option of falling back on spacemen gold mines if he really wanted to. It's not like BL would say no to the guy if he said he wanted to do whatever.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Philthy posted:

My takeaway is Abnett saying he could be swimming around in Scrooge McDuck pools at any given time but is doing whatever he wants speaks to me he's making a poo poo ton more than 100k of <insert foreign currency>. If McNeal left to go do games, he's probably comfortable enough he wanted to take a risk at change and having the option of falling back on spacemen gold mines if he really wanted to. It's not like BL would say no to the guy if he said he wanted to do whatever.

ADB is Aaron Dembski-Bowden, not Dan Abnett.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
ADB just write a fuckin blood angels trilogy you silly bastard, make that Scrooge gold. Like I get it you make art, but dude it’s corporate art about plastic spacemen in service of selling those spacemen. No ones gonna accuse you of selling out.

Also it is criminal that the Night Lords trilogy is getting outsold by anything.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It's shocking how much better the titan stuff in the Urdesh books are than Mortis.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Please write a follow up night lords trilogy following the new prophet post rift thanks adb

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ADB is never going to explain what's going on with Decimus.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

wiegieman posted:

ADB is never going to explain what's going on with Decimus.

ADB has a novel coming out with David Chase explaining what happened to the Russian

(Has he said that somewhere, or are you just guessing?)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Would a Blood Angels trilogy actually be more popular than ADB's Chaos stuff?

I mean his chaos books are really popular and sell extremely well, I honestly don't see writing loyalist stuff making much of a difference.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm sure he's said somewhere that the Night Lords books are done, and I think he's right. Decimus is better as an imagined future plot hook than anything concrete.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm sure he's said somewhere that the Night Lords books are done, and I think he's right. Decimus is better as an imagined future plot hook than anything concrete.

Yeah I recall this as well and some frustration on his side from everyone wanting every single possible thread of a story to be expanded on. Not knowing everything about a setting is very good sometimes. also in the 40k universe that gives people room to create narratives and fill in the blanks themselves.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I really hope we get some Talos and first claw action in the last two siege books

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I want the first fight of the War-Sage and the Sufferer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Deptfordx posted:

I mean his chaos books are really popular and sell extremely well, I honestly don't see writing loyalist stuff making much of a difference.

I also think the current Blood Angels books are doing a very good job with them, too.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Deptfordx posted:

Blood Angels are certainly some of the most interesting loyalists, and definitely seem to be popular. I'm pretty biased, having started 40k with a Blood Angels army and then progressed into 30k with them as well, but they've always seemed extremely popular with any groups/clubs/events I've consistently played with.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

People used to say that about the 13th black crusade and other plot hooks

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Broken Record Talk posted:

Blood Angels are certainly some of the most interesting loyalists, and definitely seem to be popular. I'm pretty biased, having started 40k with a Blood Angels army and then progressed into 30k with them as well, but they've always seemed extremely popular with any groups/clubs/events I've consistently played with.

I've a Blood Angels army myself so no arguments there. But I still think anyone who's really into 40k fiction picks up ADB books automatically at this point, and for more casual readers, there's at least as many Chaos fans as Blood Angels.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Honestly if ADB actually wanted to do a big loyalist marines series Id rather he do a Black Templars series and write about Grimaldus more.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm reading The Wolftime and am I wrong or does it completely retcon the Custodians? My understanding was they were hand crafted by the Emperor, but here a Custodian talks about how they're created like any space marine and recruit from Terran nobility.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm reading The Wolftime and am I wrong or does it completely retcon the Custodians? My understanding was they were hand crafted by the Emperor, but here a Custodian talks about how they're created like any space marine and recruit from Terran nobility.

I've not read wolftime but it's a bit of both.

The original ones were hand crafted by the emperor by the new ones aren't for golden throne related reasons. I assumed they go under much more personalised and enhanced version of the process the space marines go through.

I think they have always come from terran stock to mirror what the Romans use to do to keep subjugated nobles in line with a twist of old fashioned terran nationalism mixed it.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I don’t remember where I got this from so I might be talking out my rear end, but all the original custodes were hand crafted by the emperor, and replacements are made…. someother way.

And like, instead of implanting a bunch of new organs and muscle grafts, it’s all gene therapy and warp science (maybe?) so gotta start as a baby or very young.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Custodes are still hand crafted with each one being completely unique, just not by the emperor since *waves hand*. They are not made like space marines and I don't remember that being said in Wolftime. They do come from Terran Nobility.

In fact, Wolftime has an excellent joke about custodians being hand crafted that is good enough it made a custodian laugh out loud.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I mean only a few books back in Dark Imperium they’re talking about how custodians are a dying and irreplaceable breed. I’ll have to go digging for specific quotes on that, but I’m pretty sure it’s been reinforced that custodians are a finite resource.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Demiurge4 posted:

I mean only a few books back in Dark Imperium they’re talking about how custodians are a dying and irreplaceable breed. I’ll have to go digging for specific quotes on that, but I’m pretty sure it’s been reinforced that custodians are a finite resource.

They aren't finite in that there's X number of them and there will only ever be X number, but the creation process is way longer and more painstaking than marines. That's my understanding, at least. There are clearly older and younger custodes so they don't all date from way back before the Emperor when on the throne or anything.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s what finite means

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I always thought there was 10,000 of them made, and that was it. Since E and V aren't really around anymore/yet. The books just keep it as vague as possible so far. Maybe it's described more in the game fluff somewhere.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 2, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Custodes end up retiring after a number of years. Their retirement of heading out into the galaxy and doing whatever to ensure the safety of the throne from enemies would probably make for a really good book.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Kinda like the long walk from judge dredd.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I want to read a story about a geriatric custodes off on his own. Any recs?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Philthy posted:

I always thought there was 10,000 of them made, and that was it. Since E and V aren't really around anymore/yet. The books just keep it as vague as possible so far. Maybe it's described more in the game fluff somewhere.

I’m pretty sure “the Ten Thousand” is a name based on around about how many the emperor made, not exactly how many there were. And way less exist now.

Makes me feel bad when my custodes get tabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lawdog69 posted:

I want to read a story about a geriatric custodes off on his own. Any recs?

Pariah