Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh poo poo, just had an idea. Can someone try reading the ledger note right after the confrontation with Ruby? I assume it was accounted for, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Xander77 posted:

Oh poo poo, just had an idea. Can someone try reading the ledger note right after the confrontation with Ruby? I assume it was accounted for, but who knows.

Checked Disco Reader and yeah, it is. There's a check to see if you've gone to the cavern and haven't returned the Whirling, if you're in that state you get this line before returning to the main ledger hub:

Kim Kitsuragi: The lieutenant clears his throat. "I don't think this is the time to be going through personal affects," he says. "Let's move on."

Conversation ID 704, node 812, if you want to look for yourself.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I have no idea how to use that link. What happens if you read it after Kim gets shot in the tribunal

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Wafflecopper posted:

I have no idea how to use that link. What happens if you read it after Kim gets shot in the tribunal

No, you don't -- not without official police backup. It's simply impossible to open it. Your hands refuse to move.
Esprit de Corps:
Somewhere in a station lazareth lieutenant-detective Kitsuragi turns on the side and says: ouch. The wounds are agonizing.
Inland Empire:
Hmm... it's as if there is an automatic *self-defence* structure in your hand, keeping you from mind-loving yourself with letters from past lovers.
Hand/Eye Coordination:
It's me. I'm keeping his hand from moving. We're not doing that anymore. We're not reading those words. People have died. He needs to work, not ache his heart for something that will never return.

Pretty crazy that they included stat checks in such a distant side line. And after seeing that I am actually surprised that cuno doesn't get a comment.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Entering the endgame on my first playthrough and had a fascinating turn of events. I botched a 97% roll during a certain group encounter which meant that Kim didn't trust me and got shot, but the flipside is that because I went behind Kim's back to give Cuno the kilo the night beforehe's now my sidekick for the end. Let's do this, buddy.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
At high levels, Drama may render you an insufferable thespian – one prone to hysterics and bouts of paranoia; for to know the world is a stage is to know that Truth is a Vanity. However, with low Drama you cannot lie – or discern when others lie. And a cop who can’t do either is a cop who’s soon going to be lying six feet under.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've never seen that specific interaction. I know that Kim calls you "officer" when he's disappointed and "detective" when he's pleased, but calling you "assistant detective" - to pull rank but also make it clear that as a detective you should know better - is something that's new to me.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
This game is so loving good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Well, I certainly hope that getting a shave wasn't a huge mistake:ohdear:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

Well, I certainly hope that getting a shave wasn't a huge mistake:ohdear:

Look at your face, you know the answer. Also ask Kim him opinion.

Spoiler bit It does make one thing harder later, too. But screw it, own your choices.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tylana posted:

Spoiler bit It does make one thing harder later, too. But screw it, own your choices.

I mean, it's almost impossible to do something that doesn't make things harder later. Like, the first conversation I had in the game with Klaasje backfired in a pretty spectacular way later when I talked with Titus. I basically fell in every trap the developers had laid. Klaasje even says that this will make it suck for you later.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Alhazred posted:

I mean, it's almost impossible to do something that doesn't make things harder later. Like, the first conversation I had in the game with Klaasje backfired in a pretty spectacular way later when I talked with Titus. I basically fell in every trap the developers had laid. Klaasje even says that this will make it suck for you later.

*to Kim, because he mentioned her name once and thinking this will put him at ease* "I didn't rape her"

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Yeah, that was a hell of a game. Just read a bunch of stuff but I got through essentially unspoiled with an INT/PSY Sorry Cop setup where my primary goal from the start was to figure out the secrets of the world and the paranatural, so it was appropriate that I got the worst possible result during the Tribunal but the "best"/most complete ending. Legitimately a big fan of how there's 4 endings/climactic moments in a row. The bug literally coming out of left field blindsided me. Especially after going through the entire search questline and having to talk Lena through the possibility of never finding it. I told it I was born to detect it and that it was the most beautiful thing I've ever met, and it told me to do it for the working class.

But I had 1 PHY and mostly used my points to reset White checks, so despite 1 Endurance only getting me killed once (I walked into the Feld building with 1 hp and like 1 healing and got loving blasted) I made the worst mistake of all: not leveling Shivers. And I think I changed my tie after that reset to help with a check and forgot to put the Horrible one back on after, so despite wearing it the whole game including after finding the +2 IE tie I missed the chance to use the tie, which would have been helpful given that I didn't let Evrart help me find my gun, find my gun, find my gun.

I think I'll give it another go as a 1 INT IE/Esprit/Shivers/Motorics Supercommie Superstar Apocalypse Hobocop who essentially wakes up with no memory and goes "alright, time to solve the mystery, free the land and save the world".

Unfortunately, I did also make the second-worst mistake and shaved. When even Kim can't help but express disapproval you know you hosed up.

I also had this happen :v: Fortunately one of the only other bugs I encountered was the ocean noises being consistently choppy and glitchy, but it felt very appropriate so I kinda liked it.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Harry are you okay?

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 30, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The worst mistake is failing the check to get Kim to dance and it sounds like you didn't make that one, so that's good!

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Oh yeah I was gonna mention that, I read about that one and that's rough. I think I failed to do that entire sequence actually despite getting the whole area set up, so that's something to look forward to.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Party Boat posted:

I've never seen that specific interaction. I know that Kim calls you "officer" when he's disappointed and "detective" when he's pleased, but calling you "assistant detective" - to pull rank but also make it clear that as a detective you should know better - is something that's new to me.

I did a quick search and it turns out that's the only line in the game where the phrase "assistant detective" shows up. Mildly interesting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I at least managed to do one thing that didn't make things harder for me:I held on to my novelty monkey pen

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 30, 2021

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
The 1.2 patch for Switch dropped about a week ago and it's supposed to have made things more stable and the load times faster. I kind of want to start playthrough number 3, but I also don't want to burn myself out on the game so quickly by playing through it over and over. I have a character in mind though and it's high FYS high MOT Ultraliberal Disaster Capitalist Harry who wants to wreak havoc on the physical realm and extract as much reál from it as possible.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

midnight lasagna posted:

The 1.2 patch for Switch dropped about a week ago and it's supposed to have made things more stable and the load times faster. I kind of want to start playthrough number 3, but I also don't want to burn myself out on the game so quickly by playing through it over and over. I have a character in mind though and it's high FYS high MOT Ultraliberal Disaster Capitalist Harry who wants to wreak havoc on the physical realm and extract as much reál from it as possible.

I tried a high MOT ultraliberal game and it wasn't very fun because MOT is basically competence and most of the fun in this game is loving up. You end up with a Harry who is very good at his job and handling people and who wants that anyway.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So question about Evrart and the door

I tried lying to Evrart about opening the door, but for some reason I keep failing the drama check, despite having 97% odds. The funny thing is when i look at the dice roll I rolled higher than the challenge (12 is the challenge, I can roll higher, and still fail) so I'm wondering if this is a bug or if there's something I'm missing.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Is that a red check, and if so, are you internalizing The Precarious World?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If the Difficulty is Impossible it may in fact be Impossible to succeed. If you mouse over the test it'll say something like Failure Inevitable or similar. EDIT: But I think Impossible is a higher check been along time since I played.

I had the same thing with sky-high MOT and trying to dodge a second bullet

Also Evrart is a boss (in both colloquial, literal, and video game senses) so might cheat.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I tried a high MOT ultraliberal game and it wasn't very fun because MOT is basically competence and most of the fun in this game is loving up. You end up with a Harry who is very good at his job and handling people and who wants that anyway.

Yeah, I can imagine that. I had alot of fun in my final cut playthrough which ended up ultraliberal, though there I actually went into it with a high PHYS, low-middling MOT and PSY and INT 1, but I tagged conceptualization and did what I could to raise it, including becoming art cop. vision quest spoilers High conceptualization actually pairs brilliantly with the ultraliberal vision quest, much more so than savoir-faire (which you only really need for one check, and you get a big boost for that one) or any MOT skills for that matter.

I actually really enjoyed the ultraliberal vision quest, it's silly but it also had much more heart to it than you'd think going through most of it, I really liked the little conversation you have with Doom Spiral at the end and how happy and relieved he seems to just get a compliment about something he's done.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

VROOM VROOM posted:

Is that a red check, and if so, are you internalizing The Precarious World?

Holy poo poo I think this is it actually, yes, you loving genius you

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

There are a few "impossible" checks you can actually pass, like talking to Joyce about "what is this world fundamentally" via Conceptualization however that also gets a +12 modifier to internalize the +1 EXP for each world orb you click thought
and the mandatory Titus Logic check to come up with a theory, even though Kim bails you out if you fail at least three times
but the one without any bailouts or technicalities is the Volition calling your ex wife via the one working phone on the west coast, where you can muster enough willpower to avoid finishing the call and running away. Needs 18 or more on the dice roll/critical success, and even then you can still say "nah, I wanna go through with it" if you pass

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

McCloud posted:

Holy poo poo I think this is it actually, yes, you loving genius you

Lmao it’s always this, son of a bitch strikes again

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I totally forgot all about it lol. It would have been helpful if this was indicated on the roll failure somewhere! I stopped it and presto, succeeded on my first try! So thanks!

So uh We all agree Harry is some sort of a psychic, right? What finally convinced me was that Harry on some level understood the the library ladies husband was missing practically before she did. This is my second playthrough and I keep seeing all the little hints of harry just knowing poo poo he should have no possible way of knowing.
Also side note: Telling her about her husband the first time around broke my heart.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 2, 2021

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

McCloud posted:

So uh We all agree Harry is some sort of a psychic, right?

it all depends on how you play it. Shivers and Inland Empire are definitely the two out there in that sense.

The rest falls more into the intuitive domain, which is arguably Harry's hidden super attribute filtered through the skills. It's a great way to demonstrate other forms of thinking the world that are just as intelligent or more than exclusively intellectual. But no, he ain't that

to make for a fun take, it could be argued that Harry has a deeper semiotic awareness of the world when the player and the character collide. Stuff like commenting why Encyclopedia doesn't know poo poo about doing detective stuff or dialog showing alternatives like "I have no idea why I do the stuff I do". That's Harry talking, through your choices. He has no idea why you put him around to do random inane poo poo, but you know that you should talk to everybody and are curious to see what hilarious poo poo can happen by asking somebody about their socks or whatever, and that leads into relevant poo poo somehow and he has no idea why

which can be sort of familiar when you consider doing some stuff in your life that looked completely whimsical and turned out to be one the most crucial things to ever happen, right?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
There's also the theory that you solved everything during your bender and are basically remembering it. Shivers is still explicitly supernatural, Inland Empires less so if it's just Harry's recollections filtered through your own binge

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

dead gay comedy forums posted:

it all depends on how you play it. Shivers and Inland Empire are definitely the two out there in that sense.

The rest falls more into the intuitive domain, which is arguably Harry's hidden super attribute filtered through the skills. It's a great way to demonstrate other forms of thinking the world that are just as intelligent or more than exclusively intellectual. But no, he ain't that

to make for a fun take, it could be argued that Harry has a deeper semiotic awareness of the world when the player and the character collide. Stuff like commenting why Encyclopedia doesn't know poo poo about doing detective stuff or dialog showing alternatives like "I have no idea why I do the stuff I do". That's Harry talking, through your choices. He has no idea why you put him around to do random inane poo poo, but you know that you should talk to everybody and are curious to see what hilarious poo poo can happen by asking somebody about their socks or whatever, and that leads into relevant poo poo somehow and he has no idea why

which can be sort of familiar when you consider doing some stuff in your life that looked completely whimsical and turned out to be one the most crucial things to ever happen, right?

IIRC Shivers is the only explicitly supernatural one. Inland Empire presents that way but it's also easy to read it as a combination of your imagination and subconscious, finding bizarre and esoteric ways of communicating information that you either knew pre-amnesia or have intuitively picked up but otherwise aren't consciously aware of.

Also, if it isn't supernatural then conversation with the phasmid probably isn't actually with the phasmid, but Harry having a conversation with himself.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Inland Empire letting him talk to the hanged man himself is definitely the power of Harry's IMAGINATION

Also you can out-psyche Inland Empire if you have the Remote Viewer District thought by saying enough psychic things

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
IMO it’s more that Harry is a genuinely good detective with a great intuition and ability to pick up on things, but his self-loathing is so intense that it makes more sense to rationalize to himself that he’s psychic than ever be proud of any of his achievements.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

McCloud posted:

Also side note: Telling her about her husband the first time around broke my heart.

It's one of the best written parts of the game in a game chock-full of great writing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

IMO it’s more that Harry is a genuinely good detective with a great intuition and ability to pick up on things, but his self-loathing is so intense that it makes more sense to rationalize to himself that he’s psychic than ever be proud of any of his achievements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kknXBbnppzA

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Pre-meltdown Harry had maxed all his stats and took three hours to finish a conversation with a five minute pause between each question.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Inland Empire/paranatural stuff is very cleverly written so that you can validly interpret it either way, especially if you’re on a blind first playthrough exploring the world with Harry without any knowledge of the universe’s rules. It could be intuition and suppressed pre-binge memories, or it might genuinely be related to Harry’s exposure to the hole in the world. Can someone remind me what’s explicit about Shivers? I haven’t played in a while but from what I remember a lot of it could be harry’s imagination (La Revacholiere) or a combo of that and prior knowledge of the city (ie what lies north/south etc). Esprit could be read as explicit since Harry has no way of knowing what his squad mates are up to, or you could also read it was narration directly to the player that Harry isn’t actually thinking/aware of - it’s not written as his internal monologue the same way as it is when it tells you what’s on Kim’s mind for example.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Shivers is literally the spirit of the city guiding Harry. He loves Revachol so much that he can talk to its winds.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
For one thing, Shivers is the only skill that has two voices: the first being the same as the rest of the skills and then a second, feminine voice when it's implied that the city itself is speaking to him.

IIRC out of universe we have confirmation that what La Revacholiere says during the church scene about the future is ultimately true and Harry has no way of knowing that specific information.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I think the spirit of the 'paranatural' stuff is that the universe is weirder than we think and that sometimes your rational mind should shut the gently caress up for a second and listen to what the universe is trying to say, rational explanation is neither desired nor required

Shivers is slightly different in that it is overtly some weird poo poo going on rather than something to be personally interpreted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Espirit De Corps is also implied to be paranatural at times iirc, though it's ambiguous how much of that is flavour for the player. There are some offhand mentions of theories of mind-reading/empathy between members of tight-knit groups, though I'm not sure if the protagonist actually can or does react to the snippets you get of what's going on back at his precinct and with his squad towards the end.