Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Angrymantium posted:

As someone who's pretty new to Warhammer, it's surprising how many people just despise the chaos factions. Being an extra dimensional demon who's goal is ending the world sounds so much more interesting than anything any of the elf or human factions have to offer, but the High Elves and Empire seem to be by far the most played races by people in this game. I'm curious how much of that is people being mad at GW for the poo poo they pulled in the lead up to Age of Sigmar replacing WHFB or what
Thats funny because I'm really new to Warhammer too (WH2 was the first Warhammer themed game of any variety that I played) and I think Chaos is boring as gently caress. They're immortal, unkillable demons from beyond and I think thats the most boring thing possible. I find guys like Karl Franz much more interesting because he's just a regular guy like any one of us that has to fight off these interdimensional horrors to protect his people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I think it’s time to have two threads. All you “facing unimaginable horrors in my frail flabby body” types can make a new thread and discuss diplomacy or whatever you do in game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like the Puke chaos army

Tzeentch>Slaanesh>that boring rat>Nurgle>lol khorne

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thats funny because I'm really new to Warhammer too (WH2 was the first Warhammer themed game of any variety that I played) and I think Chaos is boring as gently caress. They're immortal, unkillable demons from beyond and I think thats the most boring thing possible. I find guys like Karl Franz much more interesting because he's just a regular guy like any one of us that has to fight off these interdimensional horrors to protect his people.

Just a regular politician dude who is chosen by the literal god king of Germany and swings the titular Mjolnir hammer, the objective best weapon in the setting, around from the back of one his several flying monster friends who let him ride because he's just that cool. Meanwhile one of his friends prays so hard to buff hammer man he can cast spells, and his other friend is somehow better at magic than any elf, even Teclis who literally taught the Empire magic.

But uh, there is spearmen and devastating ranged in his roster, very different from boring fantasy elves and worlds ahead of Mary Sue chaos.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 3, 2021

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I have a friend who hates Nurgle, so there's two of you :toot:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Too close to home?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Twigand Berries posted:

I think it’s time to have two threads. All you “facing unimaginable horrors in my frail flabby body” types can make a new thread and discuss diplomacy or whatever you do in game.
nah

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mordja posted:

Too close to home?

well I sort of just think it's boring since all the demons look pretty much same and they're just different sizes, you have big fat puke guys and small fat puke guys, and I also think that all the "actually he's a nice guy!! isn't that zany?!!" stuff is lame

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Twigand Berries posted:

as prophecy has foretold, we are doomed to endlessly struggle for supremacy, locked together in this thread eternal.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I don't mind Chaos.

My only annoyance ( and I understand why they have to do this ) is the fact when you get Chaos it means you get really nothing else for 2ish years.

Like WH1 was wow look at these humans! undead! orks! dwarfs! we've got beastmen! elves! angry humans!

WH2 was elves, angry elves, lizards, and rats! undead egyptians! undead pirates!

WH3 has been oh look, humans! cool humans but like, not fundamentally different. also more humans! kinda the same. ogres!!!! also here's chaosball for the next 2 years of marketing.

There's only so much you can do with Chaos. Like as much as you gussy it up with new units/battle effects/other bullshit, it's still just the burn down the world folk. All the other "destruction" races at least have interesting other stuff going on.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

nurgling voltron IS real!!!

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tzeentch>Slaanesh>that boring rat>Nurgle>lol khorne

Exactly same.

Tzeentch or Slaanesh first for me depending on how horny the latter is.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I reckon its worthwhile breaking down Chaos into its composite parts of Daemons, who can be cool, and Warriors, who are fairly lame. Daemons get to have a lot of flair and personality based off of their god, and get to do classic demon trickery and possession poo poo. Warriors were never really differentiated by style in Fantasy(outside of Nurgle) so you end up with a bunch of Chaos undivided types, who are probably the most generically evil dudes in the setting. Cool if you like 80s metal album covers, not good for much else.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Rookersh posted:

I don't mind Chaos.

My only annoyance ( and I understand why they have to do this ) is the fact when you get Chaos it means you get really nothing else for 2ish years.

Like WH1 was wow look at these humans! undead! orks! dwarfs! we've got beastmen! elves! angry humans!

WH2 was elves, angry elves, lizards, and rats! undead egyptians! undead pirates!

WH3 has been oh look, humans! cool humans but like, not fundamentally different. also more humans! kinda the same. ogres!!!! also here's chaosball for the next 2 years of marketing.

There's only so much you can do with Chaos. Like as much as you gussy it up with new units/battle effects/other bullshit, it's still just the burn down the world folk. All the other "destruction" races at least have interesting other stuff going on.

The problem is that we've run out of anything else to do EXCEPT Chaos. Unless you wanted them to never do it they've waited as long as possible to give them attention. Quite literally every faction, aside from ogres, that had an 8th edition armybook has already been done and all thats left to do is the Chaos factions and Original content that will take a lot more work and will require the cooperation of GW.

Quite frankly CA has been spoiling the anti-chaos people for YEARS bending over backwards to include everything else first and now as soon as Chaos finally gets their time in the sun they are ready to throw their toys out of the pram because they had to look at a nurgling.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Chaos is more interesting as a foil to the assumed goodness of the good guy factions. Aside from being born a mutant no matter how slight and being the target of prejudice Chaos offers an out from situations of pure despair and misery, even if Chaos doesn't actually make things better. The idea of a "benevolent" rotfather who helps you survive getting infected with Seething Nontreatable Cancer Pus and all he asks in return is that you make a few morally grey decisions to get you started down the path of damnation is interesting, especially if it's the story of a character who is otherwise getting the short end of the stick in that society. And it's a medieval society with openly known systemic cruelty so it comes up a lot. And really, so many non-Chaos factions can be read as malice for the sake of malice, so Nurgle stands out as downright refreshing as a pack of jolly rotting fat boys.

Be a noble warrior, strong of arm and heart who is loyal to his lord and martial ideals but your lord is a scheming double crosser who uses you as a disposable pawn? Maybe Khorne(or a suspiciously similar set of strangers sharing your martial ideals who have a disguised path to damnation to sell you) will appreciate your good values and give you a chance to put that snake to the sword. Or maybe you're a martial perfectionist but your lord is a mewling coward and you watch those you love and the people you defend suffer under his personal failings. Why not force that perfection and right the wrongs yourself and ooops you're super horny and have a crab hand several years later.

I can see why anyone would like Chaos, from choice in heavy metal album cover aesthetics for your "time to be bad" playthrough to GW actually telling a good story with them from time to time, Archaon's origins are fascinating even if his presented state in TW is ANGRY BADDEST MAN. I also respect anyone who passes them by as a formless blob of general evil as that's what GW usually does with them.

Rookersh posted:

I mean if you're going to say "we get nothing but Chaos also the 3 non-Chaos factions don't count humans boring" then you're just making your own disappointment. :shobon: Cathay is literally a brand new faction, Kislev might as well be, Ogre representation has been a long time coming and even if they have "Chaos" in their name Chaos Dwarves are a distinct flavor and faction. The reception of Cathay, WH3 and Old World makes more new factions possible as well and seeing as CA is actually being tightlipped about races past Ogres we could still get curveballs like Araby, Dogs, etc.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 3, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Some people like Chaos and that's okay. Others don't and that's okay too. We contain multitudes. In other words, Chaos for some, tiny American flags for others.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I found a post with screenshots of Nurgle unit stats that I don’t think was ever linked here. According to this, Nurglings having many creatures per model will ae a result have kind of a low model count, assuming these cards all have the same unit size settings.
https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/302560/nurgle-unit-stats-and-comparisons

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jamwad Hilder posted:

well I sort of just think it's boring since all the demons look pretty much same and they're just different sizes, you have big fat puke guys and small fat puke guys, and I also think that all the "actually he's a nice guy!! isn't that zany?!!" stuff is lame

Nurgle is not actually nice. Him and his greater Daemons are jolly. In terms of attitude he is very cruel.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Jamwad Hilder posted:

you have big fat puke guys and small fat puke guys

Hell yes

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nurgle is not actually nice. Him and his greater Daemons are jolly. In terms of attitude he is very cruel.

I dunno he did save that one chaos pirate who tried to knife a demonic kraken. Nurgle, the "well you tried your best" chaos god.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aurubin posted:

I dunno he did save that one chaos pirate who tried to knife a demonic kraken. Nurgle, the "well you tried your best" chaos god.

He’s more forgiving then the other Chaos gods, but his general way of working is to cause people to suffer until they give into him, and start doing the same thing to others.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps the same can be said of all religions factions.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Your words are as empty as your soul! Idle speculation ill needs a theorycrafter such as you!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its fun to say nurgle is a loving parent (and that is how his followers view him) but, being serious for a moment, he is the archetypal abusive parent complete with wild swings from overbearing to disproportionately furious and extreme punishments done 'for your own good' if you fail him.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Archaon is the lamest chaos dude and all the others are cool as hell. The guy from the mark of chaos campaign also owns. I think Chaos is cool when depicted as like, a path people turn to in order to escape entrenched hierarchies like that guy who becomes a parasite to his muscley brother or as a religion that helps people grow; like how Wulfric learns to not kill dudes for his own ego but for cruel gods from outer space.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

The problem is that we've run out of anything else to do EXCEPT Chaos. Unless you wanted them to never do it they've waited as long as possible to give them attention. Quite literally every faction, aside from ogres, that had an 8th edition armybook has already been done and all thats left to do is the Chaos factions and Original content that will take a lot more work and will require the cooperation of GW.

Quite frankly CA has been spoiling the anti-chaos people for YEARS bending over backwards to include everything else first and now as soon as Chaos finally gets their time in the sun they are ready to throw their toys out of the pram because they had to look at a nurgling.

But AnEdgelord, I'm furiously bitter over a tabletop community event 20 years ago not turning out the way I wanted and have created an entire elaborate theory of aesthetics to prove that One Note Green Monster Man is objectively more interesting than Four Notes Metal Monster Man.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ZeusJupitar posted:

But AnEdgelord, I'm furiously bitter over a tabletop community event 20 years ago not turning out the way I wanted and have created an entire elaborate theory of aesthetics to prove that One Note Green Monster Man is objectively more interesting than Four Notes Metal Monster Man.

Its true, and I posted it on my Nerd Telephone

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So looking at the Nurgling voltron, they're made up of 10 Nurglings.

We've seen on ultra unit sizes, Nurglings are made up of 60 swarm units.

Assuming that a single Nurgling swarm works off 10 Nurglings then, the unit is technically made up of 600 Nurglings.

That's a lot of small smelly friends.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So looking at the Nurgling voltron, they're made up of 10 Nurglings.

We've seen on ultra unit sizes, Nurglings are made up of 60 swarm units.

Assuming that a single Nurgling swarm works off 10 Nurglings then, the unit is technically made up of 600 Nurglings.

That's a lot of small smelly friends.

It was confirmed that 'swarm tech' isn't an actual thing unfortunately. Did they say somewhere else that Nursling have multiple models per entity?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

ZeusJupitar posted:

It was confirmed that 'swarm tech' isn't an actual thing unfortunately. Did they say somewhere else that Nursling have multiple models per entity?

Oh yeah I'm aware, I should have clarified each individual Nurgling swarm within the unit is modelled as ten Nurglings. The swarm tech is basically "they made an advanced humanoid skeleton rig where each limb/body part is a Nurgling" from what I've seen floating around, hence Nurgling voltron.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 3, 2021

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ZeusJupitar posted:

game 2 is in an incredible spot, game 3 comes out soon, and people are still posting sarcastic owns about some poo poo 20 years ago that no one cares about

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

yikes! posted:

game 2 is in an incredible spot, game 3 comes out soon, and people are still posting sarcastic owns about some poo poo 20 years ago that no one cares about

Going to slog through several hours of Warriors of Chaos campaign so that I can obtain a .gif of Archaon defeating Grimgor in autoresolve. That'll show them. That'll show them all.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

All this talk about Chaos being boring when it literally contains SLAMBO??? the gently caress

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
TBH I'm a little surprised there is still only four Empire lords since I thought analytics showed the most played campaign by far in both TW1 and TW2 is the Empire

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

rideANDxORdie posted:

TBH I'm a little surprised there is still only four Empire lords since I thought analytics showed the most played campaign by far in both TW1 and TW2 is the Empire

I would be willing to bet more than 95 percent of those played campaigns were with big Karl F.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

rideANDxORdie posted:

They're victims of being first out the gate in that respect as the game one races didn't get the FLC the second lot did.

Edit: I'm also tempted to wonder how much the preponderance of empire play corresponds with casual fans who play the default hero faction once then put the game down and don't buy DLC.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 3, 2021

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im also a little suspicious of those metrics since both the most played factions in 1 or 2 are also the ones that the faction select defaults to. You could easily click through without really thinking and start their campaign or new players could just want to get into a game and hit "start campaign" as soon as it appears.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Shades of the Mass Effect Metrics which show Male - Soldier - War Hero - Default Appearance Shepard as by far the most popular choice.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm sure there's all kinds of other factors but also the Empire offers the playstyle closest to historical Total Wars. Infantry lines with spears and swords backed up by archers and heavy cavalry. Might just be easier for the general Total War player to choose what feels familiar rather than diving headfirst in to the skeleton swarm or knightly micro-fest.

Of course the High Elves and Dark Elves both (generally, especially early-game) play the same way so I guess add the human thing in? I dunno most nerds are pretty boring after all.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im sad that i was lied to about it being the 9th lord today, but the nurgling animations are amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

juggalo baby coffin posted:

im sad that i was lied to about it being the 9th lord today, but the nurgling animations are amazing

🤫The ninth legendary lord is Voltron Nurglings 🤫