Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
American cops are so loving overfunded that they have developed technology that allows them to just spawn 5 meters behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
And here I was worried that the game was going to try and make me sympathetic to the cops, what with all the side jobs you can do for them. But no they suck just as hard in the world of Cyberpunk.

Now THAT'S Punk!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Golden Bee posted:

I never got why video games being huge was a selling point. Get me to the good stuff please.

For some folks a large game world IS the fun stuff. I’m sort of inbetween. I love a big world to explore and feel like I’m a part of. But sometimes things are too big and I can get impatient. I think for the most part, Witcher 3 and CP2077 are both great sized game worlds. Large enough to feel authentic but not so large that I’m spending all my time traveling looking for poo poo to do.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

King Vidiot posted:

And here I was worried that the game was going to try and make me sympathetic to the cops, what with all the side jobs you can do for them. But no they suck just as hard in the world of Cyberpunk.

Now THAT'S Punk!

You can have sex with River, he’s a cop

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

I never got why video games being huge was a selling point. Get me to the good stuff please.

Because every single sales thing shows that people are more interested in "longer" or "bigger" than "higher quality."

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ImpAtom posted:

Because every single sales thing shows that people are more interested in "longer" or "bigger" than "higher quality."

I don’t think most folks are choosing one over the other. I think for many, large=high quality. It’s not a preference, it’s just (imo) an incorrect perception.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Some people only play 2-3 video games a year, so Assassin’s Creed being an 80 hour epic works for them

Youth with a Skull
Aug 16, 2004

Hit 'em with one-a dees
Grimey Drawer
With the insane amounts of assets created for this game, as well as CPDR's apparent refusal to fix broken core game systems or add content, I have a hunch this will eventually be repurposed into a battle royale cash in.

All they would need to do is strip out the plot, characters, inventory, RPG systems, and maybe add some collision to some unfinished buildings.

I believe the engine was built with multiplayer in mind, though no idea how far that ever got.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

For some folks a large game world IS the fun stuff. I’m sort of inbetween. I love a big world to explore and feel like I’m a part of. But sometimes things are too big and I can get impatient. I think for the most part, Witcher 3 and CP2077 are both great sized game worlds. Large enough to feel authentic but not so large that I’m spending all my time traveling looking for poo poo to do.

There's a really interesting thing that happens around 2005 in the video game industry where the previous assumption that a game should be ~20-30 hours long breaks and on the one hand you get COD-style '10 hours but every second is full intensity' action games, and on the other hand RPGs and strategy games (which had always done this to an extent, but even more) start to push more and more to be 'triple digit hour' games.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

You can have sex with River, he’s a cop

Doesn't he quit his job because the police are corrupt fucks just as bad as the corpo security forces? I wasn't super interested in his story but it seemed like someone who bought into the story that the corpocops were the corrupt assholes while the city cops were people in it to protect the people and then quits when he becomes disillusioned.

And realistically, I could see a world where an idealistic kid decides that being a cop and not some private security Pinkerton poo poo is actually a decent attempt at standing up for the common man. You know, the city cops who go after ALL criminals, even the corpos! He'd probably be wrong, but I'd probably give something like a hypothetical magical EPA enforcement branch a chance, especially if they hosed up the cops harassing pipeline protestors.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I found River and his associated missions to be incredibly dull. I wish they'd cut him and given more time to the Peralez's.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
got this game because it was on sale and have completely broken it over my knee without even trying as I just run up to everyone to stab them to death, which seems to be all there is to do

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Poland Spring posted:

got this game because it was on sale and have completely broken it over my knee without even trying as I just run up to everyone to stab them to death, which seems to be all there is to do

I mean there's the main story missions but yeah if you find the game's core loop (understandably) dull it doesn't really improve.

I actually like the core loop and my main beef is that none of the "dungeons" are long enough to credibly tax your resources. It's really odd that the majority - maybe even all - gigs and missions are "Go into this one building, kill or avoid everyone, you're done."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My enjoyment of the game has noticeably gone up as I focus on the core story missions and don't try and sweep the map. There's some really good quality stuff there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I found River and his associated missions to be incredibly dull. I wish they'd cut him and given more time to the Peralez's.

WhaaaaaaaT the serial killer detective poo poo was some of the best content in the game!!!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

WhaaaaaaaT the serial killer detective poo poo was some of the best content in the game!!!!

defusing mines for days! Also I don't think it's as enjoyable if you don't have the int to hack and do the memory stuff to replay the videos needed.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

My enjoyment of the game has noticeably gone up as I focus on the core story missions and don't try and sweep the map. There's some really good quality stuff there.

You sound like the kind of person that would be really into Call of Duty. Have you tried that series? Also, please stop double-spacing. You're not writing on a typewriter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bust Rodd posted:

Each to their own, I guess. I felt like I was tagging along for an NPCs cutscenes.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
nvm, apparently another poster

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 4, 2021

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Game still bad. Worse than ME3 bad. Ends still bad. Middle bad. Beginning absolutely loving amazing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What the hell game are you talking about, Cyberpunk is the one with a bad beginning and several good endings

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The first ten hours were the best the game had to offer. Everything after that got progressively worse, both in narrative and gameplay.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

You sound like the kind of person that would be really into Call of Duty. Have you tried that series? Also, please stop double-spacing. You're not writing on a typewriter.

It's interesting to see the thread veering back to full-on hating CP2077 again. I ignored the hype train, bought the game on sale, and think it's just fine. It definitely has its failings, and I'd like to see more content, but I'm not rushing around with a massive hateboner over it. I do still think they should cut last-gen consoles loose, but whatever. :shrug:

Also, I will never stop double-spacing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

TheAgent posted:

Game still bad. Worse than ME3 bad. Ends still bad. Middle bad. Beginning absolutely loving amazing.

ME3 is good as hell with the most important 5 minutes of the entire trilogy fumbled

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean it's a perfectly mediocre game narratively with broken or poorly designed gameplay systems. The cracks begin to show about 6 hours in; the walls start collapsing about 15 hours in, if that.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

ME3 is good as hell with the most important 5 minutes of the entire trilogy fumbled
So then

The ends are bad

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's interesting to see the thread veering back to full-on hating CP2077 again. I ignored the hype train, bought the game on sale, and think it's just fine. It definitely has its failings, and I'd like to see more content, but I'm not rushing around with a massive hateboner over it. I do still think they should cut last-gen consoles loose, but whatever. :shrug:

Also, I will never stop double-spacing.

"Game is lukewarm, could have been better, lots of amazing parts mired in mediocre to bad stuff, hype was excessive and stupid" is the normal opinion.

I'm not gonna complain about individual posters itt but I will continue to report them!

Edit: to be clear, "I don't like the game, it's bad" is a fine and normal opinion but some people itt verge on obsession.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I definitely prefer a good, short game over a long, lovely game. But, to put it in movie terms, a short film will never be considered the best movie.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Game is Huge as a selling point is about value proposition. When some suit is trying to convince a few million people to part with sixty bux, being able to say "you'll get 200 hours of playtime" is a selling point, especially for people who may only buy one or two games per year.

That's why companies push for bigger worlds, more filler, more procgen, anything to keep the drip dripping longer so they can pad those playtimes as much as possible. They view games the same way investors look at any commodity, so "more game for your money is better than less game for your money." Hours played is an easy metric to understand, market, and explain to investors. Much more tangible and quantifiable than creativity, uniqueness, art direction, or gameplay mechanics.

Game Long. It makes sense.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Fame Douglas posted:

Also, please stop double-spacing. You're not writing on a typewriter.

This is it, the post i've been waiting for my whole life

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this game came out a year ago and you freaks are still crying

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Game is Huge as a selling point is about value proposition. When some suit is trying to convince a few million people to part with sixty bux, being able to say "you'll get 200 hours of playtime" is a selling point, especially for people who may only buy one or two games per year.

That's why companies push for bigger worlds, more filler, more procgen, anything to keep the drip dripping longer so they can pad those playtimes as much as possible. They view games the same way investors look at any commodity, so "more game for your money is better than less game for your money." Hours played is an easy metric to understand, market, and explain to investors. Much more tangible and quantifiable than creativity, uniqueness, art direction, or gameplay mechanics.

Game Long. It makes sense.

yeah theres a huge category of people who only buy cod and fifa every year and if you want to trick them into buying a third game it needs to appear as big

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 4, 2021

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I still don't know why posting "game is terribly mediocre" is like a hot take or anything. What really else is there to post about his loving thing anymore. We are all just waiting for updates to see of they fix anything or release anything new.

I did play it on a PS5 tho, so again, the poo poo I encountered might not be the same as a lot of yall. But goddamn the story sure was the same and that misfired in a million different directions.

Game play wise it was completely terrible, from a design and player viewpoint. Whole systems need to be gutted and reimagined.

I don't think any of those opinions are getting into some kind of meme territory. The last boss died in seconds. Elite Arasaka enforcers triped over each other in hallways. Judy sat in her apartment and called you from a whole different state. Tons of perks were improperly implemented or are just outright broken. NPC AI in the open world is terrible, combat or otherwise. Story reactivity feels nonexistent.

It was -- and is -- a mess (but a beautiful one if you played on PC, less so on consoles, even on PS5).

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Has anyone put out a Ghost Mode equivalent for Cyberpunk? I know there's mods for tweaking AI and such, but I'm curious if there's been any attempt at a comprehensive rebalance mod.

Mendrian posted:

"Game is lukewarm, could have been better, lots of amazing parts mired in mediocre to bad stuff, hype was excessive and stupid" is the normal opinion.

I'm not gonna complain about individual posters itt but I will continue to report them!

Edit: to be clear, "I don't like the game, it's bad" is a fine and normal opinion but some people itt verge on obsession.

You aren't seriously reporting people for not liking Cyberpunk, are you?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

TheAgent posted:

I still don't know why posting "game is terribly mediocre" is like a hot take or anything. What really else is there to post about his loving thing anymore. We are all just waiting for updates to see of they fix anything or release anything new.

I did play it on a PS5 tho, so again, the poo poo I encountered might not be the same as a lot of yall. But goddamn the story sure was the same and that misfired in a million different directions.

Game play wise it was completely terrible, from a design and player viewpoint. Whole systems need to be gutted and reimagined.

I don't think any of those opinions are getting into some kind of meme territory. The last boss died in seconds. Elite Arasaka enforcers triped over each other in hallways. Judy sat in her apartment and called you from a whole different state. Tons of perks were improperly implemented or are just outright broken. NPC AI in the open world is terrible, combat or otherwise. Story reactivity feels nonexistent.

It was -- and is -- a mess (but a beautiful one if you played on PC, less so on consoles, even on PS5).

its an ice cold take because I've read you post it hundreds of times. wait for updates in silence if thats all you have to contribute

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Has anyone put out a Ghost Mode equivalent for Cyberpunk? I know there's mods for tweaking AI and such, but I'm curious if there's been any attempt at a comprehensive rebalance mod.

You aren't seriously reporting people for not liking Cyberpunk, are you?

No.

There are like two people itt who post multiple times a day about how Cyberpunk killed their dog.

Everybody is allowed to hate cyberpunk as much as they want.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Cyberpunk didn't kill my dog but my cats throw up less since I stopped playing it. Possibly a coincidence but maybe they were just really unsatisfied with the ending of the Peralez plotline.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Cyberpunk didn't kill my dog but my cats throw up less since I stopped playing it. Possibly a coincidence but maybe they were just really unsatisfied with the ending of the Peralez plotline.

I mean yeah cats are more sensitive to that kind of thing.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

TheAgent posted:

This.

The game suffers a lot from the Game of Thrones syndrome, most of the cool characters die early and then the game struggles to make up for it for the rest of the game, with a handful of exceptions. Also 95% of the game is on rails after The Heist. The few missions where the game delivers the promised immersion are the intro stories, The Pickup and I walk the Line.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 4, 2021

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It’s crazy that a whole colourful supporting cast is killed off after the opening act. Jackie, T-bug, Dex and Evelyn were all too unique and interesting to be sidelined by Johnny. I enjoyed the Johnny dynamic, but oh what could have been…

It makes me think that they should have stuck with characters unknown to the tabletop world, because the characters i mentioned were all interesting and seemed like they had story threads dangling. Like what was the point of even setting the game in 2077 if the most important npcs are all from 50 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

The Gadfly posted:

I definitely prefer a good, short game over a long, lovely game. But, to put it in movie terms, a short film will never be considered the best movie.

When games cost 70 you can't be surprised if people want more value for it. The days of six hour campaigns need to be over. It might have been acceptable back in 2007 but it isn't acceptable today.
Ubisoft rightfully gets a lot of flack for their rather samey games, but the one thing they do right is have a lot of content & things to do. You get your money's worth and then some.