Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

Very fun for tooling around local paths and nice to just carry a proper chain lock in the basket without any hassle.
That bag owns, and that wiring is loving disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

evil_bunnY posted:

that wiring is loving disgusting.

I saw this yesterday

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

dema posted:

That's super clean. The shop I bought my Crux from had a room full of classic bikes. Mapei Colnago (Master?) was the standout for me. I've always loved the shaped tubes on those bikes.

Anyway, got the Crux out on a 33 mile ride. Mostly dirt. It's brilliant.

Kinda wild that the the bike that's two down from top of the line has wireless electronic shifting and carbon rims. What a time to be alive.

Also, cellphone photos don't really do the frame color justice. It's a dark green, IRL.

loving sick. I’m somewhat looking at getting a better cross bike for next year and the Crux looks nice, plus it’d be coming from the shop I have a great relationship with. The big clearance is definitely nice.

My bike was jam packed yesterday with mud and leaves, I couldn’t even make it a full lap before the wheel was locking up. Part of the problem is the brake and chainstay bridges just acting as a collection point.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jestery posted:

I saw this yesterday

Hahahaha those exposed balance wires holy hell

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That's what the fender is for.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

evil_bunnY posted:

That bag owns, and that wiring is loving disgusting.

Hah. The twisty one up the fork? I couldn't find exactly the wire I wanted - some thin non-black coax. Still keeping an eye out for something better than this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

Hah. The twisty one up the fork? I couldn't find exactly the wire I wanted - some thin non-black coax. Still keeping an eye out for something better than this.
You can buy PVC or silicone cabling in so many casing colors! I recommend blue neg and pink positive.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Any particular vendor? I found some but they were min-qty 500ft.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

evil_bunnY posted:

Hahahaha those exposed balance wires holy hell

I'm a fan of the 1.5 3dprinted battery packs

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

Any particular vendor? I found some but they were min-qty 500ft.
\
This?
https://www.amazon.com/BNTECHGO-Silicone-Flexible-Stranded-Impedance/dp/B01M3O8VIM

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 9, 2021

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Oh yeah lots of options in single conductor, thin round 2c is more difficult. I did think of heatshrinking two together for a while.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ah gently caress i didn’t check it was multi strand. amazon still has some but it’s more limited.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

sweat poteto posted:

Very fun for tooling around local paths and nice to just carry a proper chain lock in the basket without any hassle.

This rules and the wiring is fine! Ride the heck out that thing!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The wiring is fine as is but I've had success fishing the flimsy B&M wire through steel forks if you have the little vent holes

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just so we’re clear i agree, that bike is v rad as-is.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

z16bitsega posted:

Won this at an online auction a few weeks ago and finally picked it up yesterday.

holy hell that is clean

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008
I'm starting a new job in January so I thought I'd take advantage of staff prices at my current one. Ignore the Rapha bag, it doesn't fit properly and is Rapha.
Frameset, wheels and lights are new, the rest is taken off my old bike. It's an All City Super Professional 52cm, wheels are H+Son Hydras on a SON28 on the front and an oilslick NS rotary hub rear (clearance find). B+M lights. Drivetrain is a SRAM/Shimano/Box/Absolute Black mongrel that works like a charm. Brakes are SLX.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Looks like a fun and useful bike!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sunday brunch posted:

I'm starting a new job in January so I thought I'd take advantage of staff prices at my current one. Ignore the Rapha bag, it doesn't fit properly and is Rapha.
Frameset, wheels and lights are new, the rest is taken off my old bike. It's an All City Super Professional 52cm, wheels are H+Son Hydras on a SON28 on the front and an oilslick NS rotary hub rear (clearance find). B+M lights. Drivetrain is a SRAM/Shimano/Box/Absolute Black mongrel that works like a charm. Brakes are SLX.

I love city bike

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

sunday brunch posted:

kickin rad

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Sneak peak at my latest project

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

z16bitsega posted:

Won this at an online auction a few weeks ago and finally picked it up yesterday.

I am so excited to actually own one of these.
Now I have all winter to get my fat rear end into shape so I can actually ride it!

Holy loving poo poo. Amazing find. Do you know the year? If you don't know from the frame itself, the campy parts [off the top of my head] are stamped on the RD, and on the inside of the hub locknuts. Where was the auction? (I'm upstate). There are some greybeards that would lose their minds knowing that NOS paramounts are still out there. poo poo, you could flip the brake hoods for a benjamin.

Just catching up with the last year of this thread, but holy poo poo! FINALLY! A use for those deathtrap specialized titanium stems. I have at least two of them just sitting because I don't dare ride them.

glyph fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 22, 2021

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Jestery posted:

Sneak peak at my latest project

S-s-s-sweet can, sweet can... love the rose gold

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

She's done!

Before

After

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
In the process of putting this thing together.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

That thing is dope

I can see myself living the recumbent life when the infrastructure improves a little bit around here

I have genuinely considered something like a Surrey car or two person enclosed e-velomobile for cargo/partner

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Jestery posted:

That thing is dope

I can see myself living the recumbent life when the infrastructure improves a little bit around here

I have genuinely considered something like a Surrey car or two person enclosed e-velomobile for cargo/partner

As this is Denmark, the bike infrastructure is top notch. I'll be using it for commuting to work and back - and of course going for longer trips in the countryside.

Kidney Stone fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 4, 2022

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Part of the beast here is that my city is just hilly by nature and the bikeways reflect this truth, additionalñy I like having 1-3 cubic feet of storage on my bikes, inherent to the setup.

I'm not sure if a recumbent is suited to this, I would need to rent one for a week and see

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
I haven't spent much time on a recumbant but all the hills I climbed on it were fuckin' rough. You can't get up and throw your weight around like you can traditionally. This was a while ago and I'm a stronger rider now, but those hill climbs really stuck with me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do they usually have gears?

Is it true they're a lot more efficient than normal bikes and banned from racing for *reasons*?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Do they usually have gears?

Is it true they're a lot more efficient than normal bikes and banned from racing for *reasons*?

They’re very aerodynamic. They suck at climbing.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I picked up something pretty stupid - a very gnarly hardtail. Marin El Roy (63* head angle, 78* seat tube angle, low bottom bracket and almost 1300mm wheelbase):

I haven't really ridden it yet outside of some neighborhood rock crawling. I've added Cushcore, saddle, grips. Some OneUp carbon bars (my favorite) and an oval chainring are on the way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Which Cushcore option, and how rough was the install?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

compressioncut posted:

I picked up something pretty stupid - a very gnarly hardtail. Marin El Roy (63* head angle, 78* seat tube angle, low bottom bracket and almost 1300mm wheelbase):

I haven't really ridden it yet outside of some neighborhood rock crawling. I've added Cushcore, saddle, grips. Some OneUp carbon bars (my favorite) and an oval chainring are on the way.

M y impressions were based on limited information; hopping on and off curbs and stuff outside the shop on a test ride, but the El Roy gave me a 'put your faith in the fork and hold on for dear life' vibe. It's so hilariously slack. Long bike is loooooong.

I'd definitely want a dropper on it with as much travel as possible.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

While are on topic of recumbents

I've seen some recumbents set up so that the drivetrain in part of the steering assembly

Is this really a thing?, It seems like it would unduly impact steering and cause other issues?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

EvilJoven posted:

M y impressions were based on limited information; hopping on and off curbs and stuff outside the shop on a test ride, but the El Roy gave me a 'put your faith in the fork and hold on for dear life' vibe. It's so hilariously slack. Long bike is loooooong.

I'd definitely want a dropper on it with as much travel as possible.

It comes with an Xfusion Manic 175mm which is quite nice. I'm tall and the seat tube is short so there's more post exposed than you might expect. I could fit a 210mm dropper but will hang tight for a bit, as I've heard the reasonably priced ones (OneUp, PNW) are quite crappy and don't feel like dropping half a C-note on a Bike Yoke or whatever before even riding.

I may experiment with fork travel eventually but I'm told that 120-140 is best with hardtails of this geometry. 140 is stock.

kimbo305 posted:

Which Cushcore option, and how rough was the install?

Full on CC Pro. The difficulties are ridiculously overblown. Even with the brand new DD casing it added maybe 5 minutes to the tubeless refit (rims were pre-taped). You need either the Cushcore bead dropper tool, which I broke down and bought, or a super beefy tire lever to push the bead down, soapy water to spray the bead and insert, and a bucket or garbage can as a work surface. Lots of videos around, the one I watched from Cushcore was most useful.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Jestery posted:

While are on topic of recumbents

I've seen some recumbents set up so that the drivetrain in part of the steering assembly

Is this really a thing?, It seems like it would unduly impact steering and cause other issues?

You won't be doing any hard cornering on a recumbent, and with the chains as long as they are you can get away with a lot of flex.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

compressioncut posted:

Full on CC Pro. The difficulties are ridiculously overblown. Even with the brand new DD casing it added maybe 5 minutes to the tubeless refit (rims were pre-taped). You need either the Cushcore bead dropper tool, which I broke down and bought, or a super beefy tire lever to push the bead down, soapy water to spray the bead and insert, and a bucket or garbage can as a work surface. Lots of videos around, the one I watched from Cushcore was most useful.

I'm sure experience varies, but installing the Original was very hard for me, and ended up being impossible to take off the tire once the Cushcore was installed.
I think it came down to the carbon rim being pretty tall and having a relatively tall retention ramp on the spoke bed. It offered just enough extra resistance that made working with the bead super difficult.
I tried to break that tire bead off (multiple tire levers, other tools that probably shouldn't be used on a carbon rim) and just couldn't do it -- had to cut the tire off.

The XC Cushcore was not a problem at all on the same rim. Lighter tire, so probably less stiff sidewall, too. I like their tire lever, but I don't think it would have made the difference in the first scenario.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure experience varies, but installing the Original was very hard for me, and ended up being impossible to take off the tire once the Cushcore was installed.
I think it came down to the carbon rim being pretty tall and having a relatively tall retention ramp on the spoke bed. It offered just enough extra resistance that made working with the bead super difficult.
I tried to break that tire bead off (multiple tire levers, other tools that probably shouldn't be used on a carbon rim) and just couldn't do it -- had to cut the tire off.

The XC Cushcore was not a problem at all on the same rim. Lighter tire, so probably less stiff sidewall, too. I like their tire lever, but I don't think it would have made the difference in the first scenario.

Not sure about Cushcore, but with the wheel lying flat you can put a 2x4 tangentially under the rim and another perpendicular on the tyre with the end up against the rim. Step on the second 2x4 to lever the bead off.

pinarello dogman fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I tried a bunch of bodyweight exercise style techniques with 2x4s, wood clamps, etc.
At one point, I said, ok gently caress the tire, let's get it off even if it distorts/stretches the carcass. And yeah, even with the bead in place, the sidewall ended up dented from all my exertions.