Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

infernal machines posted:

Okay, well, I'll make sure I don't have too much fun then.

Don’t worry, as long as you’re only having surface fun, you should be fine. Or later you find you’re really enjoying yourself, you may be incorrect.

(post is sarcasm, just to be clear)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Needed to be more. If there's someone on the phone with you it needs to be like being in the Matrix and having the operator tell you what's going on.

Having played a bit more there's actually some pretty decent 'dungeon' design. Yeah there's a fair bit of filler that's one or two route, but there's plenty of content that matches anything the newer Deus Ex's have to offer in terms of openness and options.

I just finished up the game and almost every gig building had multiple ways to approach through tech, body, cyber leg jumps or just plain finding a hidden path. Then after that you could often get different results based on how you approached the mission even if the fixer didn’t outright say it. Sometimes if you get through a gig peacefully then clubs etc reopen and new merchants appear. They never advertise this though so everyone that read the ign walkthrough as they were playing never found any of this poo poo.

The jotaro gig is a good example. I found a balcony overlooking his that I needed tech to get up to. I waited for him to come outside and I shot his head off and left. I remember my first time through I carefully sneaked through the bar through a back garage and stealth killed him. Apparently you can also take him down non lethally and deliver him to the mox too.

The amount of gigs that are like this are far beyond what deus ex hr offered imo.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I just finished up the game and almost every gig building had multiple ways to approach through tech, body, cyber leg jumps or just plain finding a hidden path. Then after that you could often get different results based on how you approached the mission even if the fixer didn’t outright say it. Sometimes if you get through a gig peacefully then clubs etc reopen and new merchants appear. They never advertise this though so everyone that read the ign walkthrough as they were playing never found any of this poo poo.

The jotaro gig is a good example. I found a balcony overlooking his that I needed tech to get up to. I waited for him to come outside and I shot his head off and left. I remember my first time through I carefully sneaked through the bar through a back garage and stealth killed him. Apparently you can also take him down non lethally and deliver him to the mox too.

The amount of gigs that are like this are far beyond what deus ex hr offered imo.

Oh, yeah, I remember this one. I stealthed through and cleared out most of the goons, then carried the guy's unconscious body all the way back down.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

You know that future content will now include ludoexposition where the fixer will list all the outcomes beforehand just so that the dum dums surely realize there's reactivity in the game world. :v:

Seriously though, I hope there'll be dev time for more of those types of gigs. Personally I want it to lean more into Deus Ex than GTA.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Is that the mission in the nightclub? I remember one where I knocked a guy out and carried him out through the main room of the club, and none of the normal NPCs counted for stealth, so I was sneaking out of the club with this guy slung over my shoulders while NPCs cowered and said "don't hurt me!" and it counted as ghosting because the enemies on the other side of the room didn't see. That gig was definitely an early indicator to me that the game could have done with a bit more time in the oven!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Splorange posted:

You know that future content will now include ludoexposition where the fixer will list all the outcomes beforehand just so that the dum dums surely realize there's reactivity in the game world. :v:

Seriously though, I hope there'll be dev time for more of those types of gigs. Personally I want it to lean more into Deus Ex than GTA.

Thing is that ultimately none of this matters. Cause there is no prolonged reactivity to these outcomes and it does not make any difference at all if you stealth capture Jotaro or just go in guns blazing and kill everyone. The only reaction is a slightly different line from your fixer in case you completely botch something. And this applies to pretty much every mission in the game, except for The Heist, where you can meet some of the Maelstromers later, depending on who you killed.

The worst offender is Takemura. Again it does not change any of the available outcomes if he lives or dies. You can still get the Arasaka ending and the only difference is that Takemura won't be along for the final battle in Arasaka tower and that Hellman replaces Takemura in the epilogue on the space station.. You can also try to antagonize him with every action and dialogue choice, but the outcome is still the same as long as you pick said ending.

My hope was that you could at least gun down the Arasaka kids in the final meeting on top of the tower and go "gently caress this. You really thought I would trust you?". And then have one last chat with Johnny and go out in a blaze of glory. But the choice is never there, the game just keeps baiting you along with some ambiguous dialogue options, but it never offers alternative pathways of any substance.

Regarding Jackie. Ofc I would have preferred to have him along for the rest of the game, because of aforementioned reasons. But the core issue is that his death was already spoilered by CDPR in a trailer 2 years before the release, so everyone expected that this would only be one of many possible outcomes. And my main gripe is not that he died, but the way he died, considering that we brought back a coma patient in the first gig after the prologue with an air hypo and that V is loaded to the gills with meds that can magically heal bullet wounds.

Now had Adam Smasher ripped Jackie in half and thrown him off the tower we would at least have gotten a decent revenge story out of this. But again, nope (also Smasher was woefully underused, he was just a glorified bodyguard and a pitiful final boss. Which is in complete contrast to the lore).....and the game keeps doing this again and again, robbing the protagonist of fun opportunities typical to the genre. There's also no revenge story with Dex, cause Takemura guns him down. T-Bug gets fried offscreen, Dex's bodyguard (the guy who one-shots V, even if we have maxed Body and mantis claws) never returns, Eve dies another pointless death after a fruitless chase and so on....

I never expected to save the world in this. And it's ok to stress the point that you cannot turn Night City into Disneyland, but after the 3rd or 4th mission with no real closure it starts to get lame and annoying. It's pretty much what Pondsmith said in an interview, namely that it's no fun to play a game where you always lose.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 7, 2021

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Sure, but that is in a larger gameplay loop. I think it's nice to have reactivity on a smaller scaleas well.

I think the major branching in outcomes are good enough, especially consider the scope vs constraints of the production. I don't think it's feasible to do the Jesus game levels of branching people dream of unless you scope down the rest of the systems and world.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Splorange posted:

Sure, but that is in a larger gameplay loop. I think it's nice to have reactivity on a smaller scaleas well.

I think the major branching in outcomes are good enough, especially consider the scope vs constraints of the production. I don't think it's feasible to do the Jesus game levels of branching people dream of unless you scope down the rest of the systems and world.

But there is no major branching. The only 2 things that matter are if you go along with Panam at a certain point or rat her out to Saul (locking you out of the Aldecaldos ending). And if your Johnny-o-meter is high enough to unlock the secret ending at the balcony scene. That's the only branching there is.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 7, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The entire secret ending being locked behind one single line of dialogue that’s feels very inorganic to arrive at never stopped bugging the poo poo out of me

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

But there is no major branching. The only 2 things that matter are if you go along with Panam at a certain point or rat her out to Saul (locking you out of the Aldecaldos ending). And if your Johnny-o-meter is high enough to unlock the secret ending at the balcony scene. That's the only branching there is.

Not disagreeing, maybe I'd add the romance outcomes into the pile as well.

There's tons of sequences that play out based on player choice, it is just not mind blowing, I guess. That is ok.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Splorange posted:

I mean, this is what W3 excelled at and where CP77 can be considered to have failed the most. The phone call mechanic should have been exclusively to set up in-person meetings to get that amazing dialogue and scenes everyone expects. Make some excuse like phones aren’t secure (they aren’t). It’s absurd that all of the fixers have offices in the world and V only ever really visits Wakako twice and Dex once. Every Mr. Hands mission should have started with V getting thrown into the back of a Van for a remote video conference. A missed opportunity.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Hammerstein posted:

T-Bug gets fried offscreen

one interesting thing is that you can actually find her body in her apartment later in the game IIRC

edit: on checking looks like I'm wrong here!

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 7, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Hammerstein posted:

There is a difference between narrative fatalism (V can’t change the world) and quest reactivity (V can alter the specific circumstances of each gig).

The comment about the walkthroughs is a good insight: people may be thinking the game is linear because the wiki only shows one path.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, this is what W3 excelled at and where CP77 can be considered to have failed the most. The phone call mechanic should have been exclusively to set up in-person meetings to get that amazing dialogue and scenes everyone expects. Make some excuse like phones aren’t secure (they aren’t). It’s absurd that all of the fixers have offices in the world and V only ever really visits Wakako twice and Dex once. Every Mr. Hands mission should have started with V getting thrown into the back of a Van for a remote video conference. A missed opportunity.

You are right, it makes an enormous difference to investment in a quest story if you actually have to go to a place and get the quest from a person. A story needs a start point or you just don't care.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

I mean, can't protest that since the fixer characters had voice and mocap int the phone calls. Surely it would have been some increase in work needed but doesn't seem unsurmountable for a project with reasonable time management and a release date not purely fantastical.

Just sms Vs rear end and mosey on over when a scripted sequence isn't firing at the player.

Edit: eh, actually, perhaps canned animation instead of bespoke mocap, is what was actually used in the calls.

Splorange fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 7, 2021

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Going quiet or loud and having things like a secure vault door to burst open with brute strength or a slightly out of reach entrance to double jump up to, or a hackable utility door for each gig is the bare minimum

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You get phone calls and texts near gigs because otherwise you might go to a place and kill everyone, then later go to the fixer for your gig and they say "go to this place and extract the target alive" but you can't because you just killed him. They could presumably have the gig locations be empty before you get the gig, or respawn any killed enemies when the quest is active or something, but they went with the phone calls presumably because it's less glitch-prone.

Also we're narrowing the definition of reactivity a bit if "a character dies, so a different character says different things to you" doesn't count

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

one interesting thing is that you can actually find her body in her apartment later in the game IIRC

edit: on checking looks like I'm wrong here!

Many of the pro netrunners look the same: bodysuit and shaved head. There's a garage guarded by 2 auto-turrets somewhere in the city and you can disable the turrets and get in there to find a roasted netrunner in a hacker chair. At first glance I also thought "Is that T-bug?", but there was no other evidence to confirm that.

You can also find Dex's body and his gun (and someone else in a fridge close by) and these things are nice nods to "Yes this happened in the past", but they don't change the actual story or the outcomes.

Remember the 2019 trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LembwKDo1Dk

Compared to this the final meeting with Dex was a complete shitshow. Talk about hyping up expectations and then not delivering.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

2house2fly posted:

Also we're narrowing the definition of reactivity a bit if "a character dies, so a different character says different things to you" doesn't count

I love that for every positive thing somebody says about the game, five people dogpile on them and go "that good thing is bad actually" or "psssh every game has that they need to try harder".

I'm glad I wasn't really hyped for this game, saw poor to middling reviews for it, then waited a year to dip my toes in it and play it with no expectations or emotional investment. It sucks that the release was so rushed and botched, especially since what I've been playing through is pretty alright with some decent writing. There's a good game in there and I'm enjoying it for the most part.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I'm glad I wasn't really hyped for this game, saw poor to middling reviews for it, then waited a year to dip my toes in it and play it with no expectations or emotional investment.

You know, I don't look forward to anything, really.

The last thing I remember being giddy for, was christmas, must've been early nineties... somewhere around the tender age of eight or nine. And then I learned that people are mostly kinda poo poo and everything's a compromise.

After that, life's mostly been a series of pleasant, if infrequent, surprises. Then again, I might've had undiagnosed depression for three decades.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Gaming has taught me that the average person has absolutely no tools for coping with disappointment and would rather feel nothing or everything rather than learn how to modulate expectations in the face of reality. Those that do face disappointment react as if they've been bit.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Mendrian posted:

Gaming has taught me that the average person has absolutely no tools for coping with disappointment and would rather feel nothing or everything rather than learn how to modulate expectations in the face of reality. Those that do face disappointment react as if they've been bit.

Kind of why I stay the gently caress away from anything multiplayer, at least if I can't mute others.

on the other hand, I have done and enjoyed board and card games (hello Netrunner LCG) with strangers semi frequently. Infinitely more amusing with physical table flips and body odor.

Also: I still love this piece of poo poo game :v:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

I love that for every positive thing somebody says about the game, five people dogpile on them and go "that good thing is bad actually" or "psssh every game has that they need to try harder".

I don't think that it's like that. The game repeatedly marketed itself as a shorter, but deeper, role-playing experience than W3, with all kinds of decisions with long term consequences. That narrative was a common thread throughout all their marketing, interviews and presentations.

And after the excellent W3 games many people had little reason to doubt them, considering how long the game was in the oven. Most of the production problems and that the game was pretty much rebooted during development, as well as CDPR losing their most senior developers in the years after W3, only became known after the release.

Things like alternative routes in a mission were not new. See Deus Ex or the Hitman series. Sneak in through the sewers, hop over the fence, hack a terminal or simply shoot the guard in the face are standard approaches in this genre. Same for branching rpg choices: Dragon Age:Origins, ME2 and Alpha Protocol already did all these things in a better way. With a smaller budget and 10 years earlier.

The parts where Cyberpunk shines are the major side missions: River, Peralez, Kerry and others. It's also way easier to accept a certain lack of closure when it comes to some of them - cause they are not part of V's own story and it soon becomes obvious that none of these people can help you with the chip. So you go in, help your buddies as far as is reasonable, enjoy the story and then leave, cause you have some really pressing problems of your own (not that the game has a timer or something, but still). Although the Peralez story is the odd one, cause of Mr Blue Eyes.

I still hold the opinion that CP's real problems aren't the countless bugs (many of which are fixed with 1.3), the lack of proper pedestrian, car and cop AI and dynamic events that can trigger randomly (comparing Night City to the reactive worlds that Rockstar built in GTA and RDR2 really shows how big the gap is), the very limited interactivity in Night City (no mini games, no shops with the details of RDR2 - I expected a posh clothing store like Jinguchi to have holographic fashion dolls, to preview and pick my outfit on a touchpad and not a simplistic buy/sell interface), or the many technical issues (of which I had relatively few, with only 1 crash in the first 90 hours on PC), but the weak main story, which ultimately wasted the highly talented voice actors and Keanu's efforts.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

2house2fly posted:

You get phone calls and texts near gigs because otherwise you might go to a place and kill everyone, then later go to the fixer for your gig and they say "go to this place and extract the target alive" but you can't because you just killed him. They could presumably have the gig locations be empty before you get the gig, or respawn any killed enemies when the quest is active or something, but they went with the phone calls presumably because it's less glitch-prone.

I think this is what happened, in the end. They just ran out of time to implement these things and it feels like management kept cutting back the scope to meet an arbitrary release date (which they still missed, twice).

A poster up thread compared CDPR to Rockstar/Ubisoft, and while CDPR’s marketing team would definitely like to make that comparison, I don’t think it’s a fair one. Rockstar has 11 studios and more than 2000 employees and will spend 7-10 years on a production. Ubisoft has more than 3 dozen studios and >18,000 employees And total development time of 4-6 years for a completed game.

For comparison, CDPR has a little over a thousand employees, only 6 subsidiaries, and had barely 4 years to make CP77...

2house2fly posted:

I mean, that is the definition of reactivity, though? If y’all wanted more Alpha Protocol, everyone should have bought it when it came out.
:shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

There is a difference between narrative fatalism (V can’t change the world) and quest reactivity (V can alter the specific circumstances of each gig).

The comment about the walkthroughs is a good insight: people may be thinking the game is linear because the wiki only shows one path.

I've specifically mentioned the illusion of choice re: dialog choices, and after retrying a couple personally, I checked here for the missions I'd already run. It specifically states the outcome of dialog choices and will present multiple paths if they exist. You'll notice how almost every choice in that linked mission says "All options have the same outcome".

I am aware that there are in-mission differences in play style, outside of the actual narrative, but this being 2021 and not 1998, I think that is expected to a point.

I've been stealthing through everything and hacking everything I see, there's a lot of lore and backstory, but there isn't much so far in outcomes of player choice in the larger narrative.

forest spirit posted:

Going quiet or loud and having things like a secure vault door to burst open with brute strength or a slightly out of reach entrance to double jump up to, or a hackable utility door for each gig is the bare minimum

Deus Ex came out over 21 years ago, so you'd hope that level of player choice would have found its way into other action RPGs by now.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 7, 2021

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

For comparison, CDPR has a little over a thousand employees, only 6 subsidiaries, and had barely 4 years to make CP77...

Development started in 2018 so that's more like 2 years before release. They didn't have much of anything when they showed that demo short film at E3 2018.

Mendrian posted:

"No see you're wrong because game bad, everything about it bad and everyone who likes it doesn't know about games! Here, let me reiterate it again as if I didn't already post the same thing itt a hundred times."

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

A poster up thread compared CDPR to Rockstar/Ubisoft, and while CDPR’s marketing team would definitely like to make that comparison, I don’t think it’s a fair one. Rockstar has 11 studios and more than 2000 employees and will spend 7-10 years on a production. Ubisoft has more than 3 dozen studios and >18,000 employees And total development time of 4-6 years for a completed game.

It is unfair, yes. I know about Rockstar's resources and how big the team for RDR2 was. But at some point the CDPR developers should have curbed the enthusiasm of their marketing team, instead of hoping that by crunching their employees to death for over a year, they would somehow get an interactive city out of a burned out and overworked staff.

Let's lower the bar a little and go from the class primus Rockstar to games like Saint's Row 2 and Mafia 2. 11-13 year old games from smaller studios with smaller budgets. And even these games have better car, pedestrian and cop AI than CP2077. Even Lego City Undercover has a better traffic system.

Quest reactivity barely exists in CP. The Heist is the only mission where the outcome has long term effects (of low consequences, but still), where the end dictates who lives and who dies (Meredith or the other guy) and where your background actually gets you extra rewards (Nomads understand a clue from a terminal). And depending on the outcome you can meet Brick, Royce and Dumdum again later and get a booty call from Meredith.

I Walk the Line and Transmission are somewhat similar, but to a lesser extent, cause you don't meet any of the characters ever again. After these missions no one cares if the Voodoo Boys, Sasquatch or the Netwatch guy are dead or alive. The only difference is that you can either leave peacefully or have to kill a couple more animals on the way out in I walk the Line. And in Transmission the Voodoos can either be fried in cyberspace, gunned down by you or can be left alive (none of which matters). Also Placid used to send you an angry message, even if you smeared him all over the floor earlier. No idea if that bug is fixed. You are also forced to agree to AI Alt's plan (kill me, great plan).
Every other quest later on, has fewer options and less granularity than these 3.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 7, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Game developers really do need to stop reaching for that holy grail of 'branching narrative'. It's barely ever achievable, and those who can credibly claim to achieve it either discover the experience is a bit crap, or that gamers only play the game once and never see any of the branching. Just embrace the fact that the story is the story and give players choice by virtue of letting them express how they/their character feels about what is happening.

e: nobody cares that there's no branching narrative in GTA or RDR.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The two biggest issues with cyberpunk were:

A focus on open-world concepts, when the open-world was unutilized. What's the point of going down a sidestreet to see another food cart that you can't interact with or another building you can't enter? Making games open-world also adds unnecessary complexity to story design and it shows, when some areas have many quests and some have few.

A focus on graphical fidelity that between the second and top highest categories show no visible differences. There was too much of an attempt for this game to be avant garde in at least needing new generation graphics cards to play as intended. Ultimately no other game yet cares, and virtually every game still plays well on a 1080ti or slightly better. Developing game content for a fraction of a fraction of players with higher end edition 30-series graphics cards almost definitely led to other areas being neglected.

They aren't a massive studio and they knew it, and they fell into the biggest traps possible. Amateur stuff.

Alchenar posted:

Game developers really do need to stop reaching for that holy grail of 'branching narrative'. It's barely ever achievable, and those who can credibly claim to achieve it either discover the experience is a bit crap, or that gamers only play the game once and never see any of the branching. Just embrace the fact that the story is the story and give players choice by virtue of letting them express how they/their character feels about what is happening.

Yea, I think the best course of action is to have 2-3 at most good story endings that diverge mostly in the final third of the game. This way most players get a good experience in the first 2/3rds when they quit anyway.

I think faction systems where doing certain things causes hate or trust is always easy to implement, but trying to make a stack of good dialogue options that ultimately don't change the course of the game or the game ending aren't worthwhile.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 7, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I can see hints of what was intended for the interactive city: the unmarked side quest where V sits down at a diner and gets robbed is a perfect example.

That quest also stands out, despite not being on the map, because no where else in the game can V sit down and order a drink.
:smith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hammerstein posted:

It is unfair, yes. I know about Rockstar's resources and how big the team for RDR2 was. But at some point the CDPR developers should have curbed the enthusiasm of their marketing team, instead of hoping that by crunching their employees to death for over a year, they would somehow get an interactive city out of a burned out and overworked staff.

What you’re failing to grasp here is that the Marketing team and the Development Team are two separate teams that both take orders from the board. There is nothing the devs can do to affect the marketing of a video game unless it’s a small company and the marketing department is just, like, a guy who sits next to you while you code in a shared workspace.

All of it, all of it, all of it, falls on the board and the game director, the devs AFAIAC are basically in the clear on this whole debacle. Nobody who actually made Cyberpunk 2077 wanted to release the game the way it was, nor did they want to disappoint all the people who wanted the game to feel like it did in the commercials

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Alchenar posted:

e: nobody cares that there's no branching narrative in GTA or RDR.

None of these games were marketed as choice-heavy rpgs with more depth than W3.

Bust Rodd posted:

What you’re failing to grasp here....

When the most over-hyped game from a triple A studio has worse AI than Mafia 2, Saint's Row 2 or some Lego game and falls short in almost every important gameplay mechanic, then a lot more things are amiss than some inter department non communication.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 7, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Hammerstein posted:

None of these games were marketed as choice-heavy rpgs with more depth than W3.

When the most over-hyped game from a triple A studio has worse AI than Mafia 2, Saint's Row 2 or some Lego game and falls short in almost every important gameplay mechanic, then a lot more things are amiss than some inter department non communication.

I see you have never had to deal with the United States military...
:laugh:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought from all the interviews and poo poo that that literally WAS the problem, there was no info pipeline and no inter department communication so you just have hundreds of instances of people spending time and resources on a thing that already exists or shouldn’t exist which is what ate up all the dev time and money. They scaled up the operation without appropriately scaling infrastructure and kept trying to develop the game like they were a small euro jank studio instead of the big AAA behemoth they were purporting to be

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hammerstein posted:

Let's lower the bar a little and go from the class primus Rockstar to games like Saint's Row 2 and Mafia 2. 11-13 year old games from smaller studios with smaller budgets.

Even Rockstar used to make those kinds of games. I really miss mid-budget titles with shorter play times, stuff like Rockstar's Bully or Manhunt, etc. Companies like Volition or CD Projekt could have filled that void but they seem committed to increasing their scope and budget instead of making smaller games and more of them.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTex08vZNrc&t=64s

:monocle:

If a homie who is learning to code can add multiplayer* to 1.3 then digital scapes will definitely make something cool.

*literally the most rudimentary conceivable concept of multiplayer

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Honestly, I think if they had made the fixer missions open up one at a time with you having to call/meet them for the next mission it would have gone a long way to clear the map clutter as well as make it seem more like their own little storyline.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I think you get most of your gigs by cell phone because having to go back to the fixer each and every time you wanted to do a job in their area would get really tedious. That's a lot of back and forth for offing a dozen Tyger Claws and dumping a netrunner in the trunk of a car, just to give me some cash and a pat on the head. Also, from the fixer's perspective, that's a lot of foot traffic because I'm sure they don't have just V running around doing jobs.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

forest spirit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTex08vZNrc&t=64s

:monocle:

If a homie who is learning to code can add multiplayer* to 1.3 then digital scapes will definitely make something cool.

*literally the most rudimentary conceivable concept of multiplayer

In-game store and currency should be fairly high on the list of priorities though. :shrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

infernal machines posted:

Okay, well, I'll make sure I don't have too much fun then.

Just saying the game doesn’t have deep mechanics but you can get weird about it