Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

coked-up midlife crisis bakshi was a one-man era of animation

christmas in tattertown gets uncomfortable a few times because they've tried to do bakshi's usual horny sight gags (toned down obviously) on characters that are designed to look like toddlers. that is probably why it didn't get a series.

an egg fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

wikipedia posted:

A young girl named Debbie, her doll named Miss Muffet and a stuffed dog are sucked into the realm of Tattertown, where discarded items come to life. While the stuffed dog maintains his loyalty to Debbie, Miss Muffet, who has long felt oppressed by the wear and tear of being a child's plaything, quickly runs off and transforms herself into Muffet the Merciless, set on conquering Tattertown by recruiting Sidney The Spider, an arachnid who attempted to conquer Tattertown before (she first meets him when he's attempting to kidnap a cute little raggedy doll in a nearby toy shop, but Muffett thwarts his attempt). Sidney takes Muffet to the 'Deadster Zone,' located outside of Tattertown and inhabited by the unsavory rejected items (such as war toys and TV sets), where Muffet recruits these inhabitants as goons into her army.

Completely oblivious to Muffet's intentions, Debbie decides to introduce the concept of Christmas to Tattertown, where it is apparently a foreign notion despite some of the items in Tattertown being an old Christmas wreath and an evergreen tree. Tattertown's residents are consistently unable to grasp the concept of Christmas, and in desperation, Debbie plays the original recording of Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" as Muffet attempts an air raid on Tattertown. The raid fails when Muffet's henchmen are distracted by the song, and Muffet lands in jail.

While the residents did consider "White Christmas" to be a beautiful song, it is never resolved whether anyone ever grasped the true meaning of Christmas.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've never even heard of that one before!

(Understandably, as it sounds.)

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Looks like Hilda and the Mountain King has a release date (30 Dec):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok-C2k841Gc

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/sonyanimation/status/1467294398413262850?s=21

*starts foaming at the mouth*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
PART ONE?! :byodood:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

gently caress yeaaaaaah

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

PART ONE?! :byodood:

Here's the timeline I want:

2021: Arcane
2022: Spiderverse 2 part 1
2023: Arcand part 2
2024: Spiderverse 2 part 2

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Macaluso posted:

Across the Spiderverse 2 might be as early as 2023! :pray:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Looks dope

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Wild three spiderverse movies.

Wonder is this is gonna be a bigger adaption of the comic spiderverse with a whole bunch of Spidermen taking on a threat

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Arcane part 2 will be in like 2025 lol

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
If they had any balls spider verse two would be hand animated by one person and spider man would only move in dissolves and there would be no dialogue.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pixeltendo posted:

Wild three spiderverse movies.

The new live action marvel movie spiderman movie is also a spiderman multiverse movie. I feel like someone decided viewer REALLY like the multiverse part instead of getting people really liked the specific animated movie because it was so well made.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The new live action marvel movie spiderman movie is also a spiderman multiverse movie. I feel like someone decided viewer REALLY like the multiverse part instead of getting people really liked the specific animated movie because it was so well made.
All the execs saw how their kids loved spiderverse and started demanding that live action multiverse films be made too, spiderman 8 is just the first of these to hit theaters

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Spider-verse also did a lot of things that superhero movies have struggled with; presenting different aspects of a character without having to collapse them all into a single portrayal and make it Hollywood-suitable on top of that, dove straight into a world of superheroes and supervillains without needing to establish every drat thing beforehand, had a diverse cast that all has comics precedent and makes sense in context... naturally the imitators are going to struggle with that because it was a cartoon, and thus Hollywood looks at it going 'But I can do it properly'.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Spider-verse also did a lot of things that superhero movies have struggled with; presenting different aspects of a character without having to collapse them all into a single portrayal and make it Hollywood-suitable on top of that, dove straight into a world of superheroes and supervillains without needing to establish every drat thing beforehand, had a diverse cast that all has comics precedent and makes sense in context... naturally the imitators are going to struggle with that because it was a cartoon, and thus Hollywood looks at it going 'But I can do it properly'.

Yes, like really we don't need to do a goddamn origin story every time a superhero first hits the screen - how many times has Spidey gotten a big screen origin story?

It won't kill them to have the hero already established when the movie starts with the origin being a quick flashback or referenced in dialogue.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Robindaybird posted:

Yes, like really we don't need to do a goddamn origin story every time a superhero first hits the screen - how many times has Spidey gotten a big screen origin story?

It won't kill them to have the hero already established when the movie starts with the origin being a quick flashback or referenced in dialogue.

That's one of the brilliant things about ITSV though, we did get a classic Spiderman origin story. The move was just really subtle about it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

readingatwork posted:

That's one of the brilliant things about ITSV though, we did get a classic Spiderman origin story. The move was just really subtle about it.

It also kind of flips it on its head by rapid fire giving us five other Spider-Man origin stories in about 15 seconds

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is with superhero movies up til very recently is that it's not just that they have to have the hero's origin story, they have to have everything's origin story. Like, they've only just started moving away from always having to have a villain have a same or connected origin story to the hero because for some reason you can't just have more than one crazy thing exist in a world at a time unless it's put into the same context. And it cripples a lot of stuff, like how Superman keeps going up against just Lex Luthor and Zod, because they can't get around to Brainiac or anyone interesting til they've established a full franchise, and the X-Men can't have the mystical and alien elements that are even considered specifically X-Men things in the comics because everything has to be mutants- hell, took em long enough to have Sentinels.

Spider-verse doesn't just have all the spider-people, it has Kingpin, Doc Ock, Scorpion, Green Goblin, all that introduced without need of an origin story for each one because it just has confidence that the audience will accept that supervillains exist.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I’m hearing that while the art style for the D+ Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie is interesting, it’s also only 50 mins long, leaves out a bunch of important stuff from the source material and we will need to wait several years for the next installment. While this is disappointing I’m glad to see that the OVA format is alive and well in modern media.

E: Disclaimer: Have not actually watched the animemovie or read the mangabooks.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 5, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

readingatwork posted:

I’m hearing that while the art style for the D+ Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie is interesting, it’s also only 50 mins long, leaves out a bunch of important stuff from the source material and we will need to wait several years for the next installment. While this is disappointing I’m glad to see that the OVA format is alive and well in modern media.

E: Disclaimer: Have not actually watched the animemovie or read the mangabooks.

The trailer for the movie makes it look like they had an interesting style taking it from the book in a similar way that Captain Underpants did, but the animation itself just isn't there. It looks really rough to me

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else check out The Summit of the Gods on Netflix? It is a French adaptation of a Japanese manga and is just very beautifully animated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwDVv6pDBx8

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is with superhero movies up til very recently is that it's not just that they have to have the hero's origin story, they have to have everything's origin story. Like, they've only just started moving away from always having to have a villain have a same or connected origin story to the hero because for some reason you can't just have more than one crazy thing exist in a world at a time unless it's put into the same context. And it cripples a lot of stuff, like how Superman keeps going up against just Lex Luthor and Zod, because they can't get around to Brainiac or anyone interesting til they've established a full franchise, and the X-Men can't have the mystical and alien elements that are even considered specifically X-Men things in the comics because everything has to be mutants- hell, took em long enough to have Sentinels.

I mean, story telling wise having the villain just be some disconnected rando is by default really really weak writing. A good story can pull it off but there is a reason things like to make the villains story intersect some way with the hero’s story

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The United States posted:

All the execs saw how their kids loved spiderverse and started demanding that live action multiverse films be made too, spiderman 8 is just the first of these to hit theaters

Lol what, wait I can’t find anything about a Shazam and Batman teamup

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ccs posted:

Lol what, wait I can’t find anything about a Shazam and Batman teamup

Flash + Batman.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The flash is (spoilers based on previews and write ups) supposedly traveling through multiple universes to find out how to undo his mother's murder, which his father was framed and imprisoned for. One of those universes is the Tim Burton batman where a likely cgi deaged Keaton appears as a cameo. If you think "wait, so the flash is doing something analogous to the kingpin villain plot in the spider verse film?", yes.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The flash is (spoilers based on previews and write ups) supposedly traveling through multiple universes to find out how to undo his mother's murder, which his father was framed and imprisoned for. One of those universes is the Tim Burton batman where a likely cgi deaged Keaton appears as a cameo. If you think "wait, so the flash is doing something analogous to the kingpin villain plot in the spider verse film?", yes.

So is this basically Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox from 2013?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

deong posted:

So is this basically Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox from 2013?
The plan was to use Ezra Miller's solo Flash movie to do a Hard Reset on the DC Film U via Flashpoint, pretty much. keep in mind the Grand Design would have seen the Cyborg film out by now, and the JL2 film where a bunch of the League gets murked to set up the JL3 Knightmare thing.

But LOL at WB loving it all up. Since then, the CW had the Prime Time version of Crisis on Infinite Earths do a whole trip through the multiverse and reset their whole deal so it's kind of laughable that the big multi-million dollar film studio and IP farm is running second fiddle to a loving YA CW franchise.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I don't like how the characters animate when they're not doing fast moving/action scenes. There's something jittery about it.
But Spider-Verse was a fantastic movie, so I still look forward to this one.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
looks like spiderverse two is same writers (lord and miller) but all new directors.

It's hard to know if that matters or not. The new directors are all big deal animation directors for good stuff like avatar, so it's not like they cheaped out but I feel like maybe 'director' mattered a lot for first spiderverse being such a nonstandard animated movie as much as writing did.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

looks like spiderverse two is same writers (lord and miller) but all new directors.

It's hard to know if that matters or not. The new directors are all big deal animation directors for good stuff like avatar, so it's not like they cheaped out but I feel like maybe 'director' mattered a lot for first spiderverse being such a nonstandard animated movie as much as writing did.

Maybe it will matter, but I'm sure they're going to try and stick to what proved to work last time

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Spencer Wan worked on it! He's the lad who did a lot of the Castlevania fights (including the intro, which was his first draft). Also Owl House, some freelance on Carol & Tuesday, Boruto, and he started his own studio to do the Hades trailer. Hell of a talent and I know he wanted to do right by Jake Wyatt, who wasn't entirely thrilled with their take on Peni.

Jake is a huge EVA nerd and ITSV Peni was decidedly... not that. They loved the movie, but they did have notes!

I'm hype.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I ran into some animation friends at a Christmas party who worked at Sony and they said there was some drama to do with the whole “replacing all the directors from the first movie with new guys.” Couldn’t get into specifics but it is kinda weird that lord and Miller basically picked a new trio to head up this one. Maybe they want to be the ones with the most ownership over the Spiderverse franchise and feel like a director that spans two films will encroach too much? I dunno, I don’t really understand Hollywood power dynamics. I’m an animator peon and on every project I’ve always felt the director is like god (ringed by the lesser gods of the vfx supervisors who give me notes) so seeing directors be replaced in that way is so weird haha

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lord and Miller can do whatever they want

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Lord and Miller have never missed. I'm inclined to give them benefit of the doubt. Maybe it's a power play, or maybe the spirit of being fresh and innovative is something that is better preserved with a new team.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's possible there were schedule conflicts, prior engagements, better opportunities or barring those, some plain ol' bad blood. If there were any head changes at Sony, they probably stormed in with a "your people OUT, my people IN" policy. Because they always loving do that.

Being on a show during an executive change is one of the most unsettling things I've ever experienced.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's weird that they can replace the directors on a big project like this so easily, like there is dysfunctional ignorance about where ideas come from and who makes them. The animation was The Thing which made the spiderverse stand out, how could it be a good idea to replace the people with the most practice using the new tools they're inventing for it?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Everything about Sony makes me wonder how the original movie turned out so well in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The United States posted:

Everything about Sony makes me wonder how the original movie turned out so well in the first place
It took so long that it was forgotten by anyone with an ego to meddle with it.

"Oh some animated film with a black spider-man? Yeah whatever"