Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I was just curious about the kind of historical event that could have brought these two distant countries and cultures together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

I was just curious about the kind of historical event that could have brought these two distant countries and cultures together

Are you being serious right now?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Argentina had multiple waves of pre-WW2 german immigration including more than one hundred thousand people before WW1 and lots of jews 1933-39. It's not all nazis if that's the joke.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Empty Sandwich posted:

For a serious answer, both Spanish and German speaking cultures probably independently imported the same dish from the same source - the Italian Milanesa / cotoletta alla milanese / veal Milanese

E: The Argentinian versions seems closer to the various italian cutlets with the poo poo poured over it

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Dec 6, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I thought that this were germans in argentina, but I remembered wrong. It was Uruguay, but also argentina.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCb2fgsk0Wo

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Empty Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeUCYdzaths

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

madeintaipei posted:

Are you being serious right now?

I was just wondering if there were some kind of Austrio-German immigration event into Argentina in a relatively recent time period. maybe mid-20th c.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1467968878315814918
Same vibes as photos of Bigfoot or Noah's Ark

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a long history of Germans flowing across the world, especially since Europe in the process of industrializing went through multiple waves of population growth and Germany being a fairly blurry entity didn't often have much reason for families to stay put if they could move. Italy had a similar phenomena driving its population's emigration across the world. One of the biggest waves of German immigration to the US was driven by the revolutions of 1848, both because war promotes people moving away from the danger and because there were a lot of exiles, and many of those exiles idolized the US as the world leader of democracy and settled here to go on to introduce hot dogs, hamburgers, christmas trees, pretzels, kindergartens, lager, and also to get killed by confederates in the civil war.

One group of German emigrants with a weird path were the Volga Germans, who had been invited to settle on the Volga river by Catherine the Great, and over time as relations between Germany and Russia worsened (and indeed, relations between the various peoples in the Russian Empire worsened), Germans started to leave Russia for other places until Stalin formally purged most of them from Russia in one of his many ethnic cleansings. The Volga Germans that landed in the US brought with them the runza and bierock which were influenced by Slavic food tradition as well as taking etymologically from pierogi. Not to be confused with the klobasnek, which is from an immigrant Slavic people who were fleeing German rule and is to the hot dog like the bierock is to the hamburger.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

I was just wondering if there were some kind of Austrio-German immigration event into Argentina in a relatively recent time period. maybe mid-20th c.

Not at all. If anyone told you that, they were lying.

At any rate, we wouldn't talk about it if it was true.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

One group of German emigrants with a weird path were the Volga Germans, who had been invited to settle on the Volga river by Catherine the Great, and over time as relations between Germany and Russia worsened (and indeed, relations between the various peoples in the Russian Empire worsened), Germans started to leave Russia for other places until Stalin formally purged most of them from Russia in one of his many ethnic cleansings. The Volga Germans that landed in the US brought with them the runza and bierock which were influenced by Slavic food tradition as well as taking etymologically from pierogi. Not to be confused with the klobasnek, which is from an immigrant Slavic people who were fleeing German rule and is to the hot dog like the bierock is to the hamburger.

Yeah, as a kid I remember being a little confused by the existence down the street from my parents' house of the local office of the American Historical Society of Germans From Russia. It seemed a touch contradictory to someone who didn't know the history.

stereobreadsticks has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Dec 7, 2021

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Empty Sandwich posted:

I mean, sure, Nazis, but the bulk of German and Austrian immigration to Argentina was in the 19th century. Starting with the revolutions of 1848 and then on after.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ho ho ho! Merry Thefuckisthis!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/heinz-terrys-chocolate-orange-mayo/

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd try it yes. I'd not have high hopes but how could you resist?

Lots of east asian cuisines manage weirdly good poo poo with combos of mayo, ketchup, and sweet crap, it's not impossible.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

If a product has to claim that it's [seriously] good, it's not gonna be good

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

New food suk.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Captain Hygiene posted:

If a product has to claim that it's [seriously] good, it's not gonna be good

that is shockingly accurate

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I like learning stuff in response to shitposts.

AlbieQuirky posted:

I mean, sure, Nazis, but the bulk of German and Austrian immigration to Argentina was in the 19th century. Starting with the revolutions of 1848 and then on after.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a long history of Germans flowing across the world, especially since Europe in the process of industrializing went through multiple waves of population growth and Germany being a fairly blurry entity didn't often have much reason for families to stay put if they could move. Italy had a similar phenomena driving its population's emigration across the world. One of the biggest waves of German immigration to the US was driven by the revolutions of 1848, both because war promotes people moving away from the danger and because there were a lot of exiles, and many of those exiles idolized the US as the world leader of democracy and settled here to go on to introduce hot dogs, hamburgers, christmas trees, pretzels, kindergartens, lager, and also to get killed by confederates in the civil war.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I got stuck in a Wikipedia vortex when I ran into the name "Runza" while google-earthing around Nebraska after that Trump rally in Omaha where he made everybody hike across the airport in freezing weather to get to their cars

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Runzas are crazy popular for what basically turns out to be a fast food burger variant. Homemade ones would be good.
I do enjoy the chance to make a "get the Runzas" joke every time I'm road tripping through Nebraska though :dumbrim:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

It's ok. About on par with taco bell.

Ok. Yeah, now my stomach hurts.

dog nougat has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Dec 7, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

Would so hard and fast I'd barf it up like a dog

does this imply a... "second" helping?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1468344059672547332
*snaps fingers* Garçon...your finest Cracker Barrel

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We drove down to Cracker Barrel from Canada when I lived in Canada more than once. Both anglos and québécois. It's not good but it was enjoyed. You can get a meal and sides all infused with cheese. Great cheese no, kraft singles also no. Plus tacky holiday gifts!

It's kind of a tastier version of canadians being amazed that the Watertown, NY mall twenty minutes from our college has a store with prominent display of guns and you can just buy one.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

make it Longhorn style with a bottle of your finest ffrrrrrrencchh champagne.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Goddamn LOL

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

I sell cheese and wine for a living and this has me :mad:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We drove down to Cracker Barrel from Canada

Cracker Barrel cheese is not connected to the Cracker Barrel restaurant. It’s a Kraft brand created in the 1950s; the restaurant chain started in the 1960s.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This was probably cross-marketing poo poo from Kraft and Seagrams, who owned Paul Masson at the time.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Get it printed on a shirt, wear it to fancy cheese events, do not talk about the shirt.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wish I was a cheesemonger.

Or just any sort of monger really.

There's nothing I wouldn't mong.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

I wish I was a cheesemonger.

Or just any sort of monger really.

There's nothing I wouldn't mong.

Etsy and Onlyfans exist now, the only thing stopping you is you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Etsy and Onlyfans exist now, the only thing stopping you is you.

And really, knowing the typical goon, you could still consider yourself a cheesemonger

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Captain Hygiene posted:

D&D splatbooks getting really niche.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zeroes' Feast

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

AlbieQuirky posted:

Cracker Barrel cheese is not connected to the Cracker Barrel restaurant. It’s a Kraft brand created in the 1950s; the restaurant chain started in the 1960s.
Huh.

Apparently there was a whole case over it when the restaurant wanted to start selling stuff in grocery stores and Kraft was like "THAT'S TOO FAR!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Non-Mongible Tokens

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Zero_Grade posted:

I just got back from a vacation over Thanksgiving to Central America, and was kind of hoping to have some questionable dishes to share with this thread. Unfortunately (?), all the food I had down there was both delicious and tastefully prepared.

I'm almost sorry you weren't served a pile of garbage, but it's outweighed by being glad you got to eat decently.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

https://twitter.com/ms_fishscale/status/1468026033781809153

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

it's essentially a cubano sandwich.