Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What's the protocol on opening gifts when they arrive? I have a package coming today from a bookstore, and I didn't order anything for myself :P

Are folks waiting til Christmas or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's up to you. In past threads, people have tended to open their packages right away, but if November 29 feels a little early, there's no reason to rush.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
package recieved!

But I am going to wait till around Christmas to open it

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Y'all are fast! I won't even be able to order until this weekend.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I opened mine but I'll wait to post for a little bit to keep it mysterious

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Heck I'll start the festivities. I got a package and wasn't sure if it was something I ordered or not so I opened it. There wasn't any sender name on it, so thank you, mystery goon! I've never heard of it, but it looks extremely up my alley and I'm excited to dig in!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Heck I'll start the festivities. I got a package and wasn't sure if it was something I ordered or not so I opened it. There wasn't any sender name on it, so thank you, mystery goon! I've never heard of it, but it looks extremely up my alley and I'm excited to dig in!

:)

I was really excited when you said you wanted something that would make you squirm and feel uncomfortable, because that is absolutely my jam. The one you are holding is one of my all-times after picking it up on a whim, and as a person of the internet, I think you will appreciate the way the author weaves in chatrooms and forums to tell a hosed up story about some really hosed up teens. There is a second on the way that set entirely in a chatroom and goes some deeply depraved places...so be ready. Merry christmas!

You asked for a personal story, so I'll share what really hit me hard about Negative Space when I read it a few months ago, and why I hope you'll dig it.

Famethrowa posted:

Picked up Negative Space by B.R Yaeger and it's hitting a button I've never had hit in a occult horror. I've never seen the suburban opioid and self harm crisis that happened in the 2000s reflected back. It's... really hard to read but incredible horror.

Famethrowa posted:

I read for 3 days straight. It has a hold of my brain in ways I can't explain. It was so messy and vile and queer and punk and above all genuinely magical in a dirty chaotic witchy way. It felt deeply personal and real while also hitting a good cosmic horror high note.

Cannot recommend highly enough if you can handle some truly disturbing self-harm imagery

e. I'll take pictures and post mine soon, even though I know my Santa :)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Famethrowa posted:

I was really excited when you said you wanted something that would make you squirm and feel uncomfortable, because that is absolutely my jam. The one you are holding is one of my all-times after picking it up on a whim, and as a person of the internet, I think you will appreciate the way the author weaves in chatrooms and forums to tell a hosed up story about some really hosed up teens. There is a second on the way that set entirely in a chatroom and goes some deeply depraved places...so be ready. Merry christmas!

You asked for a personal story, so I'll share what really hit me hard about Negative Space when I read it a few months ago, and why I hope you'll dig it.

Hell yeah, that got recommended in the TBB horror thread, and I've been on the look-out ever since. Great pick.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Famethrowa posted:

I have a hunch at what the other book might be, and if I'm right, it's been on my wish list, so you and I are on the same wavelength :) Thanks again!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

First package has bounced twice, I hope they leave missed delivery cards in the US America :ohdear:

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I got a big box in the post, and I opened it up to find...!

Thank you so much Hieronymous Alloy! These all look extremely cool. (Did you mean to send book 1 and 3 of Promethea? To trick me, a rube and a fool, into buying book 2? BOOK 2 ARRIVED SEPARATELY OH WOW) How extremely generous of you!

As for mine, I'm waiting on one last element, then I'm posting it out ASAP!

Gertrude Perkins fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 6, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

These came in today. I decided to wait until tomorrow to open them. I’m excited! :3:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Finally got over my laziness to share the wonderful gift of hosed up and disturbing lit from derp!

Started with The Passion According to G.H on recommendation, and...wow. I can only do a chapter at a time without laying back and staring at the ceiling for a while. I haven't finished, but the account so far of an ordinary woman accidentally seeing the Truth that lays beyond our reality and coping with being organized into a human being vs dissolving completely... it's haunting in a personal way that lovable hacks like Lovecraft only brushed up against when writing about cosmic horror. I love it already.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Stoked you're enjoying it! :D making me want to reread it haha

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
Cyclonopedia: complicity with anonymous materials by Rena Negatestani
The Chosen and the Beautiful by Nghi Vo

Lot 49 was my first Pynchon, but I don’t actually own a copy anymore. I’ve been wanting to reread it, so this is perfect.

Cyclonipedia I vaguely remember from some threads. It looks fantastic.

I’ve never heard of The Chosen and the Beautiful or Nghi Vo, and I’m excited to go in blind.

Thank you, Santa! Another shout-out to Charis Books & More, Feminist Bookstore, which was all that was on the card. Sounds like an awesome bookstore.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
my christmas cheer has arrived!!

thank you Bili for the cavalcade of canadian classics! I've been wanting to read some Alice Munro for a while, yes! And thanks for the nice note, too :) :)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

derp posted:

my christmas cheer has arrived!!

thank you Bili for the cavalcade of canadian classics! I've been wanting to read some Alice Munro for a while, yes! And thanks for the nice note, too :) :)

Eat the eggs :)

Hope you enjoy. Fifth Business, the first of the Deptford Trilogy, is one of my favourites

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I got this but accidentally threw out the packaging before looking for a note. But thanks a lot, I only know that this battle happened which makes the book very awesome. I wanted a new thing to learn about!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A package not of my own making arrived today

These look :radcat:, thanks Santa!

(I'm 95% sure these are from the TBB secret santa, let me know if they aren't)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

NTRabbit posted:

A package not of my own making arrived today

These look :radcat:, thanks Santa!

(I'm 95% sure these are from the TBB secret santa, let me know if they aren't)

They are yay! White Noise is my favorite so I usually wind up gifting that, and you seemed to like both nerdy stuff and nonfiction so i figured Supergods would be of interest. Hope you enjoy

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Sorry for the delay! I was waiting for one final piece before I sent out my santee's gifts. Dropping it off at the post office tomorrow!

Edit: Package away! Hope you enjoy the gifts!

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 7, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I got a big box in the post, and I opened it up to find...!

Thank you so much Hieronymous Alloy! These all look extremely cool. (Did you mean to send book 1 and 3 of Promethea? To trick me, a rube and a fool, into buying book 2? BOOK 2 ARRIVED SEPARATELY OH WOW) How extremely generous of you!

As for mine, I'm waiting on one last element, then I'm posting it out ASAP!

Glad you like them!

I'm glad you shared your Goodreads because I read your initial post and kept thinking of things ("Oh, the Invisibles would absolutely be the best thing to get weird looks on a bus") and then I'd see them marked as read in your Goodreads. That happened several times! It didn't help at all that you've consistently been participating in the Book of the Month so everything I know about through that you also knew about (The Peregrine, etc.)

So I had to dig kinda deep here.

GEB may be somewhat dated but most "Weird, wild, and strange" works of fiction or literature is either philosophical or just generally based on the wordy side of the brain, and GEB is weird math, so it's hitting from a different angle. I read it a long time ago; let me know if it holds up today still.

Promethea is the next weirdest comic I've read after The Invisibles, was intended by Moore to be a practical magical textbook, and should get you the desired weird looks on the bus.

Tell My Horse is a nonfiction work, constituting of an investigation of voodoo in Haiti by Zora Neale Hurston, who became a practicing voodoo practitioner in the course of researching the book. It contains the only known photo of a documented, real world, actual zombie.

There is one more book en route.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
Cyclonopedia: complicity with anonymous materials by Rena Negatestani
The Chosen and the Beautiful by Nghi Vo

Lot 49 was my first Pynchon, but I don’t actually own a copy anymore. I’ve been wanting to reread it, so this is perfect.

Cyclonipedia I vaguely remember from some threads. It looks fantastic.

I’ve never heard of The Chosen and the Beautiful or Nghi Vo, and I’m excited to go in blind.

Thank you, Santa! Another shout-out to Charis Books & More, Feminist Bookstore, which was all that was on the card. Sounds like an awesome bookstore.

Oh man! I'm glad you have use for another copy :ohno: Cyclonopedia I chose because you said you liked horror, and The Chosen and the Beautiful seemed to hit on that urban fantasy bit combined with your appreciation for capital-"L" lit. I hope you enjoy these - happy holidays!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Doc Fission posted:

Oh man! I'm glad you have use for another copy :ohno: Cyclonopedia I chose because you said you liked horror, and The Chosen and the Beautiful seemed to hit on that urban fantasy bit combined with your appreciation for capital-"L" lit. I hope you enjoy these - happy holidays!

They are all three great choices, and they are top of my to-read list now. Thank you again!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My recipient has had both delivered so now I get to see if just snagging things off the Want to Read section of their Goodreads page was good enough :f5:

ETA: And I got the rest of mine as well!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 9, 2021

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I got two books I'm really excited about. I don't know how my Santa managed to find ones that are such a great fit for me!

Paperbacks from Hell - The Twisted History of '70s and '80s Horror Fiction
I haven't heard of this book before, but it looks freaking awesome. Profiles of many of the crazy horror books from the 70's & 80's. It has a lot of great full color pictures of the insane horror covers. I immediately want to read this book, and then read all the books features in it.

The Terror by Dan Simmons
I'm super excited to read this too. I remember seeing the trailer for the TV series a while back and thinking it looked great, but somehow I missed it. (Glad I did, because I'd rather read the book first.) Dan Simmon's Hyperion is one of my favorite books of all time, so it'll be fun to see how he handles some cool mixed genres like this.

Thanks Santa, you picked well for me and these will provide many hours of reading enjoyment.

fake edit: Now I just went back and read Lord Zedd-Repulsa's post and realized he picked them off the "Want to Read" section of my Goodreads page... lmao, I don't even remember putting these books on there, but I guess that explains why I'm so pumped for them. They are a fun surprise!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

My recipient has had both delivered so now I get to see if just snagging things off the Want to Read section of their Goodreads page was good enough :f5:

ETA: And I got the rest of mine as well!

Glad the second hand books turned out so well, hope you enjoy all four, the Battle off Samar was crazy and intense and terrible, and Hornfischer wrote about it so well.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Posted my package out yesterday morning! Hopefully it doesn't get bounced back...

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
my package from the secret bonus santa has arrived, all wrapped up! :D

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yes! thank you mystery bonus santa! i have been wanting more Bernhard and i have not read this one, also it is almost impossible to find any for sale that are not the vintage international ones with the horrible covers. I'm so glad to have this edition! :D

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I got my mysterious benefactor package! I got excited and unwrapped it before I took a picture of the surprisingly good packing job, but I got pictures of the card/note/item

I'm VERY excited. I've dabbled in his works but haven't read all of it. Also I'm assuming we're all getting part of a QR code?? What is this mystery.......

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

My mysterious benefactor gift came in (I'm assuming, it was wrapped and came with a card like the others) and wow!

It's actually kind of wild you send me this particular book, as I have a degree in illustration and an interest in developing my writing skills. Maybe I can follow in Marlette's footsteps, haha! Thank you so much!

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Chip McFuck, thank you so much for the books, the hat and the beautiful art!

I'm super pumped to dive into these books. The art is going on the wall as soon as I find a suitable spot as well:

How is one person so talented!!! I'm taken aback!!!

Bonus with the hat:

You went beautifully above and beyond and I appreciate it so much. The package put a huge smile on my face and I'm excited to devour these books by Unusual Crackers.

Finally, the mystery Santa gifted me this:

I'm SO CURIOUS about this book and DOUBLY CURIOUS about the note. TBB!!! The subforum that keeps on giving!!!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

You're welcome! I'm so glad that you like everything I sent :)

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Something wicked someone's way comes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A mysterious package has arrived.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
After an eternity of waiting for one irritatingly tiny book to show up, I have finally shipped my package. It should arrive this weekend. With that out of the way, I can finally indulge myself in opening my own presents.

And what lovely presents! It's like Santa himself slid down my doorstep a month ahead of schedule to deliver them.

Let's see what the tags say...

This is a nice surprise! I've been vaguely aware of this book but haven't given it much of a look; now that I have it in my hands, I'm intrigued. I liked House of Leaves but never had much interest in the author's subsequent projects, and this looks like the perfect place to go from there instead.

Excellent! I love what little Calvino I've read (Invisible Cities and Cosmicomics), and this one's been on the to-read list for a while. Thank you.

I've been almost getting this for years and was just about to break down and buy it after giving it to a friend as a birthday present last month. I'm glad that I didn't!

Three very well-chosen gifts – this does a lot to brighten up what's been a pretty dreary season. Thank you for the Christmas cheer, No. 1 Juicy Boi!

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 16, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Yay! I'm so glad you like them :) You mentioned wanting something "crazy" so I went a little bit by my own tastes. Enjoy, happy holidays!

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Received a wonderful package from Flesnolk!

Can't wait to start reading them over the holidays!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Happy reading, Christmas person