Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So the Slaanesh roster will probably be this.

Lords
N'kari
Exalted Keeper of Secrets
Herald of Slaanesh

Heroes
Alluress
Cultist of Slaanesh

Infantry
Daemonettes
Exalted Daemonettes
Marauders of Slaanesh (Hellspear and Scourge Variants)

Calvary
Hellstriders (Mortal Calvary. Hellspear and Scourge Variants)
Seekers of Slaanesh
Heartseekers of Slaanesh (Exalted version of the above)

Others
Fiends of Slaanesh
Seeker Chariot of Slaanesh
Hellflayer of Slaanesh (Different type of Chariot)
Exalted Chariot of Slaanesh
Soul Grinder
Furies
Keeper of Secrets

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I also think Undivided is more interesting in recent 40k lore. The different legions having very different views of the gods is very cool, and humanizing. The Black Legion has a greco-roman view. You may not like the gods, but they exist, and they will gently caress you up if you don't appease them. Some people have a patron, some people pray to whoever seems most helpful.

Adding to Undivided isn't boring chat, the various warbands from AoS's skirmish spin-off Warcry all have God-agnostic views of Chaos and worship it in wildly different guises while being technically Chaos Undivided.

For example the Iron Golems worship Chaos as the Great Warbringer, and worship it by forging the finest weapons and armour they can for the mortal legions of Chaos.

Meanwhile the Corvus Cabal see Chaos as the ultimate scavenger, the thief that steals all things precious. Possessions, lives, everything, and worship it by emulating carrion birds and getting up to regular murder and thiefery.

Then we have the Unmade, whose obsession with pain and mutilation goes right into Slaanesh territory, but theirs is more as seeing Chaos as a Universal force of Agony, and worship it by spreading that agony to every living thing.

Obviously this tends to get drowned out since Undivided's poster boys in Warhammer are the most snoresome examples (generic Warriors of Chaos and Black Legion) but there is a lot of potential in the concept they're teasing out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here Images to show off the three types of Slaanesh Chariot

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

This post is weird

The army is fine and good and strong, the campaign is boring as gently caress. And it takes forever, because AI has a natural aversion to the player, which makes most of them not want to fight each other, because warring the same faction boosts relations.

Also they’re the least fun and most tedious horde

The difference in perspective, I guess, is that I typically ignore the campaign goals and instead search for interesting fights. Sure, burning down the Empire is tedious. But with Chaos, you basically have the option to go anywhere. Travel along the north and gently caress with dark elves, sail to Ulthuan and fight high elves, set off along the eastern edge of the map and work your way down into the Badlands.

It's like the old Beastmen campaigns, I never really got why people hated them so much. You could go anywhere! Fight anyone! If things got too hot or you got bored, go somewhere else!

Sure, there would be tough moments. The start can be rough, when you're relying on Marauders. Once you get a developed army, though, you should be able to take all comers. And isn't that the pleasure of that faction? You get an expensive, powerful, super-elite army sitting in the middle of hostile territory while everyone throws their best shots at you.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The best part about Chaos and Beastmen is you go and get the Sword of Khaine and then power whoever has it up to the point that armies are merely moral support for your howling doombeast who ends empires single-handedly. Downsides are really only the monetary costs for Chaos, and next to nothing for Beastmen.

Sometimes it's nice to play a faction whose entire thing is "gently caress all of this noise".

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gonkish posted:

The best part about Chaos and Beastmen is you go and get the Sword of Khaine and then power whoever has it up to the point that armies are merely moral support for your howling doombeast who ends empires single-handedly. Downsides are really only the monetary costs for Chaos, and next to nothing for Beastmen.

Sometimes it's nice to play a faction whose entire thing is "gently caress all of this noise".

At this point there's literally no drawback for Beastmen -- no upkeep, no public order, no problem!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

At this point there's literally no drawback for Beastmen -- no upkeep, no public order, no problem!

Watching Taurox or Archaon loving wreck an army single-handedly is great. Incredibly satisfying.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

litany of gulps posted:

The difference in perspective, I guess, is that I typically ignore the campaign goals and instead search for interesting fights. Sure, burning down the Empire is tedious. But with Chaos, you basically have the option to go anywhere. Travel along the north and gently caress with dark elves, sail to Ulthuan and fight high elves, set off along the eastern edge of the map and work your way down into the Badlands.

It's like the old Beastmen campaigns, I never really got why people hated them so much. You could go anywhere! Fight anyone! If things got too hot or you got bored, go somewhere else!

Sure, there would be tough moments. The start can be rough, when you're relying on Marauders. Once you get a developed army, though, you should be able to take all comers. And isn't that the pleasure of that faction? You get an expensive, powerful, super-elite army sitting in the middle of hostile territory while everyone throws their best shots at you.

Chaos can get pretty hard countered by certain factions and on higher difficulties the number of armies the AI can continually spam out will wear you down eventually. Chaos also suffers from not having a lot of map visibility so you occasionally get caught by annoying multi-stacks. Using the Dark Elves, black arks and the slave economy you can basically do the same thing except with 20 armies or more and just steamroll the entire world.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Muscle Tracer posted:

Case in point: the biggest drawback to playing Chaos in campaign is you don't have ambush stance so you have to position your armies carefully every turn. Meanwhile Beastmen have ambush-move and can stack up four armies to crack a siege no prob.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

nvidiagouge posted:

Chaos can get pretty hard countered by certain factions and on higher difficulties the number of armies the AI can continually spam out will wear you down eventually. Chaos also suffers from not having a lot of map visibility so you occasionally get caught by annoying multi-stacks. Using the Dark Elves, black arks and the slave economy you can basically do the same thing except with 20 armies or more and just steamroll the entire world.

Yeah, but when you get worn down by constant fighting, that's when you quit and start a different campaign. When you get bored, you should stop and do something else.

Just like when you've got 20 armies with your dark elves and you're autoresolving every fight, nobody actually steamrolls the entire world. Why would you? What even would be the point? You quit and start a new game. Or you quit and don't start a new game, you play something else for a while.

That's the entire point. The point isn't to paint the map or achieve some arbitrary campaign goals. The point is to fight interesting battles. If your campaign no longer is giving your interesting battles, why are you still playing it?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thing about horde factions is you don’t get to just sit there and say “I don’t care if I lose 3 full armies it’ll take me like 5 turns to rebuild all those units and they’ll probably be better because I can get recruitment bonuses” like other normal factions because losing the momentum as a horde faction is just an awful slog. However other horde factions get awesome momentum things like Taurox’s movement poo poo so you steamroll everything. Chaos doesn’t.

Still, very good army roster.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

litany of gulps posted:

Yeah, but when you get worn down by constant fighting, that's when you quit and start a different campaign. When you get bored, you should stop and do something else.

Just like when you've got 20 armies with your dark elves and you're autoresolving every fight, nobody actually steamrolls the entire world. Why would you? What even would be the point? You quit and start a new game. Or you quit and don't start a new game, you play something else for a while.

That's the entire point. The point isn't to paint the map or achieve some arbitrary campaign goals. The point is to fight interesting battles. If your campaign no longer is giving your interesting battles, why are you still playing it?

The entire concept of TW is the strategic layer and the battle layer both exist and are fun. That's why people wanted TW: Warhammer not EU: Warhammer or Ultimate General: Middenland. If one layer has terrible mechanics and is a slog, that's a problem. Completing campaigns is fun and satisfying. It should be something you can do while having fun.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The entire concept of TW is the strategic layer and the battle layer both exist and are fun. That's why people wanted TW: Warhammer not EU: Warhammer or Ultimate General: Middenland. If one layer has terrible mechanics and is a slog, that's a problem. Completing campaigns is fun and satisfying. It should be something you can do while having fun.

I didn't claim that the strategic layer of certain horde factions wasn't fun. I said that whatever arbitrary goals set to accomplish the campaign victory weren't necessarily fun. There's a thrill to being hunted by powerful, established factions on the world map when you play as Chaos or Beastmen. There's a thrill to setting up camp in the middle of a powerful faction's territory and loving them up. When I play a Chaos campaign, I don't much care about burning down the Empire, usually. I can... burn down any faction I want. That isn't discarding the strategic layer, that's discarding the irrelevant and tedious goals of the campaign. There's a difference.

I've been playing a Norsca campaign right now. I've got an army on Ulthuan. I've got an army in the north, fighting against Naggarond. I've barely touched the Empire. I haven't consolidated the North. I took Altdorf, but I haven't wiped out Reikland. The game on the strategic layer isn't necessarily about some weird whack-a-mole game with capturing provinces from certain factions.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

I didn't claim that the strategic layer of certain horde factions wasn't fun. I said that whatever arbitrary goals set to accomplish the campaign victory weren't necessarily fun. There's a thrill to being hunted by powerful, established factions on the world map when you play as Chaos or Beastmen. There's a thrill to setting up camp in the middle of a powerful faction's territory and loving them up. When I play a Chaos campaign, I don't much care about burning down the Empire, usually. I can... burn down any faction I want. That isn't discarding the strategic layer, that's discarding the irrelevant and tedious goals of the campaign. There's a difference.

I've been playing a Norsca campaign right now. I've got an army on Ulthuan. I've got an army in the north, fighting against Naggarond. I've barely touched the Empire. I haven't consolidated the North. I took Altdorf, but I haven't wiped out Reikland. The game on the strategic layer isn't necessarily about some weird whack-a-mole game with capturing provinces from certain factions.

:hai:

like after a certain point of familiarity with the game you're kinda just trying to make weird poo poo happen. last time I played Nakai, I went south immediately and beat up brettonia. went further south and met up with TikTaq and Kroq-Gar. I got to confederate Last Defenders and replaced a mid-level horde army with our boy Kroq for like 17 gold saurus; when stacking all the upkeep reductions. that's loving hilarious yo

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

jokes posted:

Thing about horde factions is you don’t get to just sit there and say “I don’t care if I lose 3 full armies it’ll take me like 5 turns to rebuild all those units and they’ll probably be better because I can get recruitment bonuses” like other normal factions because losing the momentum as a horde faction is just an awful slog. However other horde factions get awesome momentum things like Taurox’s movement poo poo so you steamroll everything. Chaos doesn’t.

Still, very good army roster.

Did they ever change the horde factions like beastmen so if their immortal lord dies and comes back it doesn't lose every single upgrade in their horde buildings and starts from scratch?

Even vampirates don't have to rebuild after a loss.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think I might have preferred beastmen before the update, there's no challenge to them at all anymore

/hipster

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Communist Thoughts posted:

I think I might have preferred beastmen before the update, there's no challenge to them at all anymore

/hipster

I love the new beastman mechanics in general but yeah they're definitely too strong. It's funny to steamroll the planet in two turns as Taurox there's not much to go back to once you've done it once.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

litany of gulps posted:

I find that to maintain momentum in the later game when other factions have consolidated and have high level lords and units you actually have to fight most of your battles. With the Dark Elves in particular, there's a huge swath of land in the old world between the badlands and khemri that's all inhospitable terrain that presents a fairly good challenge to conquer and keep hold of after you've bulldozed the easier provinces.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

/hipster

I honestly felt this way with Taurox too. Felt like I could do anything I wanted and the AI could never, ever even come close to stopping me straight from Turn 1. They can't even keep up most of the time. TBF this is still better than pre-rework Beastmen so...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I always thought they were already very strong with ambush attack and hidden encampments making them way better than almost any faction at picking their fights.
Plus great campaign buffs and gorebulls

I don't pay any attention to campaign objectives though so maybe that's why people didn't like them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hidden camps were less fun when Karl, Boris, Louen, Grimgor, and Wurrzag, with 25 of their closest friends, were all chasing you around the map by turn 3 despite being "hidden." Stealth as much as you want, woops, somehow Karl's stack is here and he gives 0 poo poo about the 12 norscan and orc stacks in Reikland.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They’ve turned bestial rage into a nothing mechanic. There’s no real penalty for failing to maintain it. It’s nice to benefit it, but you’ve gotten a horde’s main building to tier 5, there’s no point to it. Despite that, there’s still a whole set of post-victory options where you forgo other rewards in exchange for it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The two biggest achievements of the Beastmen rework are herdstones/slaughter grounds(a fantastic solution to the abysmal game of resettlement whack-a-mole that every horde faction struggles with) and their new economy, which feels a lot better and more sensible than them just using money normally and having an economy that is poo poo early game and becomes trivial once you can knock over a couple of faction capitals.

Their unit cap implementation is just a refined version of the TK one but it's also way better and the game would benefit if they gave a system like it to everyone.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The slaughter ground garrisons are honestly maybe a bit too powerful what with the ability to cause plagues and to brutalize stamina for any army on approach.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The actual values in-game are absolutely too strong, but the core idea of "i put down a disposable settlement here whose primary purpose is to lock out enemy resettlement in an area until they root it out" is sublime.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Unit caps for high end units in every faction wouldn't really work out balance wise because of how good some early game units are for some factions. Elven archers, darkshards, quarrelers, etc. can all do really good damage to late game units with a cheap chaff screening unit like spearmen in front of them. Bringing a lot of the late game stuff to bear, especially single or low entity count units, requires pressuring with them in multiple areas. It's a big reason why the dread saurians aren't that great.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Kanos posted:

The actual values in-game are absolutely too strong, but the core idea of "i put down a disposable settlement here whose primary purpose is to lock out enemy resettlement in an area until they root it out" is sublime.

Yeah, and Warriors of Chaos would really benefit from having this mechanic as well, I think.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think you should be “forced” to use 10 core units for every race and they should all be roughly balanced with one another.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

nvidiagouge posted:

Unit caps for high end units in every faction wouldn't really work out balance wise because of how good some early game units are for some factions. Elven archers, darkshards, quarrelers, etc. can all do really good damage to late game units with a cheap chaff screening unit like spearmen in front of them. Bringing a lot of the late game stuff to bear, especially single or low entity count units, requires pressuring with them in multiple areas. It's a big reason why the dread saurians aren't that great.

You can put unit caps on archer units so you can't stick 15 of them in every stack; there's nothing that says that missile units have to be uncapped core units. Tomb Kings already do this - if you want to spam archers everywhere you have to build a bunch of barracks, which is absolutely a choice you can make if you want but it's an investment you're making, as opposed to elves where you can poo poo out infinity darkshards/shades/archers/sisters the nanosecond you have the building and your economy can support it(which, well, you're elves, so it can support it).

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 10, 2021

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Tirranek posted:

Yeah, and Warriors of Chaos would really benefit from having this mechanic as well, I think.

Absolutely. This is what I meant when I talked about not back-porting new horde mechanics to WoC making them feel not so great to play on campaign

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

Yeah it's such a great idea. I'm excited to see if ogre camps work as well as I think about basically letting you walk deep into an enemy area and set up a kind of raiding camp.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

nvidiagouge posted:

I would buy the game again, maybe twice, if I could do something to enforce "having a normal army composition" on the AI. I'm to the point of quitting if I see these late game elf armies that are 50%+ SEMs and end-tier units and no "line" units. Yes, regular archers can be good, but Sisters of Avelorn and Dragons are better and I would happily deal with there being a cap on what I could use if it meant what I fought against would be sane.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I mean I totally agree but there's some unit cap mods that seem alright to me? Pretty customizable too I think, haven't actually played in a bit

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Kanos posted:

You can put unit caps on archer units so you can't stick 15 of them in every stack; there's nothing that says that missile units have to be uncapped core units. Tomb Kings already do this - if you want to spam archers everywhere you have to build a bunch of barracks, which is absolutely a choice you can make if you want but it's an investment you're making, as opposed to elves where you can poo poo out infinity darkshards/shades/archers/sisters the nanosecond you have the building and your economy can support it(which, well, you're elves, so it can support it).

Yeah but now you're dealing with the fact that on higher difficulties melee units are objectively awful for the player to use because of the buffs the AI gets. Even if you're using a higher tier, better unit, the AI is going to win in straight up fights most of the time. I guess you could make single entity units even stronger to compensate the unit cap?

EDIT: Most of the mods that put in units caps effectively and have the game still be fun are part of a larger overhaul of units in general. Yes, I will take less shades and dark shards if I can now get cold one knights that don't rampage and also cause fear and poison instead to fill some of those slots.

nvidiagouge fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 10, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

nvidiagouge posted:

Yeah but now you're dealing with the fact that on higher difficulties melee units are objectively awful for the player to use because of the buffs the AI gets. Even if you're using a higher tier, better unit, the AI is going to win in straight up fights most of the time. I guess you could make single entity units even stronger to compensate the unit cap?

The current bonuses the AI gets in higher battle difficulties are pretty much unsustainable in terms of encouraging the usage of a lot of units on the player's side(lol @ very hard AI goblins fighting until the last man), so they probably should be completely thrown out and different bonuses that don't wildly skew individual unit viability so hard instituted; vigor reduction or something? A higher unit per army cap? I'm not sure, but those bonuses are part of the problem.

You could absolutely afford to make single entities even stronger if you instituted unit caps. I think an environment where you're fielding like 3 super powerful shitwrecker monsters is way more interesting than fielding 19 middling monsters.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe even something like tier 1 units refusing to fight or breaking super quick on those entities. Would make later tier infantry more viable too if they were the only ones who could effectively tar pit a dragon instead of your unit of drafted spearmen.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

rideANDxORdie posted:

Absolutely. This is what I meant when I talked about not back-porting new horde mechanics to WoC making them feel not so great to play on campaign

Yeah and honestly I think them having this would fix most of their issues. They'd still be a bit one-note, but at least they could do what they're supposed to do.

The only other 'fix' I thought might be good is tying habitability to chaos corruption. At 90-100% it's uncolonizeble, 70-80 it's red, and so on. I imagine a change like that is harder than it sounds, though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kanos posted:

The current bonuses the AI gets in higher battle difficulties are pretty much unsustainable in terms of encouraging the usage of a lot of units on the player's side(lol @ very hard AI goblins fighting until the last man), so they probably should be completely thrown out and different bonuses that don't wildly skew individual unit viability so hard instituted; vigor reduction or something? A higher unit per army cap? I'm not sure, but those bonuses are part of the problem.

Thing is poo poo like berzerker goblins doesn't actually happen on VH. VH at best can make the AI's troops equivalent to what they would be if their lords took red buffs instead +5 interception chance. Never mind that most people reporting ranged supremacy are on normal. Ranged are superior because of the battle engine and because losing some ammo means nothing while losing troops can delay you.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Tirranek posted:

Yeah and honestly I think them having this would fix most of their issues. They'd still be a bit one-note, but at least they could do what they're supposed to do.

The only other 'fix' I thought might be good is tying habitability to chaos corruption. At 90-100% it's uncolonizeble, 70-80 it's red, and so on. I imagine a change like that is harder than it sounds, though.

I'd imagine the major problem with that is it's tough to influence corruption of unowned settlements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ranged are superior because of the battle engine and because losing some ammo means nothing while losing troops can delay you.

And because of arcing fire! :supaburn: