Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Finally people are coming forward about this poo poo. I wish I'd been interviewed.

https://www.ign.com/articles/bungie-report-battle-soul-work-culture-harassment-crunch

That's... a big yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

General Battuta posted:

Finally people are coming forward about this poo poo. I wish I'd been interviewed.

https://www.ign.com/articles/bungie-report-battle-soul-work-culture-harassment-crunch

edit: Yeah I should probably actually read stuff before being a dumb bitch

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 10, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did they make you pay for the window?

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

General Battuta posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Yoooo sorry friend, that was horrible. I didn't catch the actual topic of the article. I just saw a reference to a frustrated writer whose contributions were being changed after the fact and it made me think of your previous posts on the matter :smith:

blunderheart
Jul 1, 2021

General Battuta posted:

A truly bizarre omission, even on accident, among the voices that even a casual Bungie fan like myself would pass over talking to about this.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yoooo sorry friend, that was horrible. I didn't catch the actual topic of the article. I just saw a reference to a frustrated writer whose contributions were being changed after the fact and it made me think of your previous posts on the matter :smith:

Sorry, I am antsy because I 100% expect Destiny fans to read "narrative lead who worked on D1 and was brought back to contract on D2" and conclude it's me. (I was never a lead and never threw anything at anyone.)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

General Battuta posted:

Sorry, I am antsy because I 100% expect Destiny fans to read "narrative lead who worked on D1 and was brought back to contract on D2" and conclude it's me. (I was never a lead and never threw anything at anyone.)

No no, you owe no apologies at all, and I really am sorry for saying that

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Instead of just throwing players into activities as they become available, I wish D2 had some sort of "activity guide". Show players what activities they have access to, progress on major storylines, any seasonal activities, etc.

Whenever new activities are added, pop the guide up on login and highlight the new activity.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Collateral Damage posted:

Instead of just throwing players into activities as they become available, I wish D2 had some sort of "activity guide". Show players what activities they have access to, progress on major storylines, any seasonal activities, etc.

Whenever new activities are added, pop the guide up on login and highlight the new activity.

They kinda like, TRIED to do this? The "Pursuits" tab has sub-categories for seasonal stuff, exotic quests, campaigns, etc. It's sort of half-baked though and definitely doesn't always do a good job of telling you where to go and what to actually do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately their login banners do not have the technology to process two buttons, it's either press A and move on or nothing. Tossing up an advertisement for a new activity with the option to queue now or do it manually later is not possible at this time.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

General Battuta posted:

Well worth a read for any Destiny player, I am glad Bungie is TRYING to improve and get better but this poo poo is just everywhere.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
CEO Pete Parsons had this loaded up and ready to go in response: https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50895

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eej posted:

CEO Pete Parsons had this loaded up and ready to go in response: https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50895

Some of that exact wording is in the IGN article as quotes so this has been in the works for a bit.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

General Battuta posted:

I'm really sorry you had to deal with that poo poo, man.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEwvBtvJ1xE

We Warlocks now.

Also I see people use this guy's builds in alot of other videos. There are a few smaller destiny channels that deserve some love.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

General Battuta posted:

What was your experience if you don't mind me asking? (ok if you don't, I know the games industry can be rough)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I am hearing a LOT of negative feedback to the auto-loading Dares of Eternity when you first log in. I don't get it, personally. Is it just the principle of the thing? Like how getting frozen sucks?

(you can also just go to orbit as soon as you land, it's the same thing they did with the BL campaign)

For me it was wonderful because I was settling for a game session and I fell into a Space Game Show with some dudes who knew what they were doing and carried me through to the end

Unfortunately I crashed at the very last fight (or the game did, sent me to orbit), but until that point it was all "whaaaat is going on lol"

However I can understand how not everyone would've logged in for that, maybe some were just going to turn in quests or whatever, check their vault

General Battuta posted:

Did you work at Bungie? With the Activision drama going on, if game devs don't speak now it's never gonna get fixed

Game dev is ridiculous, you have to be like a computer scientist who also does art, works 80 hour weeks and also gets groped by management, goddamn it say something

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well of Radiance is no longer turning your fireteams weapon damage into super damage but only does it for the player casting the Well. This has two major implications:

- Focusing Lens no longer buffs weapon damage of fireteam members standing in a Well of Radiance.

- Fireteam members can no longer shoot through shields when standing in a Well of Radiance.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Eej posted:

No one uses radar enhancing perks.

Range affects distance before damage and aim assist drops off, it's one of the most useful stats on anything.

Surplus is a PvP perk for increasing handling on guns because you're not recklessly hitting every ability in PvP which lets you benefit from a high handling shotgun to quickly react to people closing the distance. You're not using it in PvE.

At least try to understand why people recommend things!!

I'd like to say I do understand why people suggest these things, but the point was more that the best (and most fun) way to see if you like something is to just try it? Rangefinder isn't used, except if you just go by, say, light.gg godrolls it apparently is?

Examples:
https://www.light.gg/db/items/2261046232/jurassic-green/
https://www.light.gg/db/items/188882152/last-perdition/

I do agree range is good and important, except it doesn't help me to the point that I personally prioritise it. That's kind of the point. There are very good recommendations and reasons behind a lot of stuff, but the best way to play the game is to just enjoy the ride in my opinion.

I did specify "if it doesn't work for you". I'm not saying disregard recommendations or suggestions, just the game is nice enough to let you fumble your way to happiness.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Rangefinder is quite literally the best PvP perk in the game and it has nothing to do with radar.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RBX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEwvBtvJ1xE

We Warlocks now.

Also I see people use this guy's builds in alot of other videos. There are a few smaller destiny channels that deserve some love.

I did a similar build to this early in the season and it was a heap of fun. I don't specifically remember how his build was different to get such crazy uptime, but the play was about the same. Lob a duskfield then spam shurkens and obliterate everything in the bubble. Wait a few seconds, repeat.

It only broke down when not getting melee kills, and the combo of mods and frostees seems to work around that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Eej posted:

Rangefinder is quite literally the best PvP perk in the game and it has nothing to do with radar.

You are correct I was confusing it with a different one my bad. I retract my statement about radars but stand firm that playing with guns is fun.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I haven't played in like a year and a half, when I think mars or whatever was past mars was the latest content, so without too much detail:

If I want to jump back into shootymans can I just buy Beyond Light and get into shooting said mans? Or will it be a slog or do I need to buy other content

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

Have things gotten any better?

Also: holy cow, no wonder Destiny's story quality is so variable.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

fast cars loose anus posted:

I haven't played in like a year and a half, when I think mars or whatever was past mars was the latest content, so without too much detail:

If I want to jump back into shootymans can I just buy Beyond Light and get into shooting said mans? Or will it be a slog or do I need to buy other content

"Beyond Light + 1 season" ($25 or so) is what you want to access the majority of the current content including season pass. You don't need anything else. It's the most reasonable cheap entry, and probably the one I would choose if buying from official stores. Otherwise see deluxe below.

This is what else you can buy:
Forsaken ($8 or so): Gives you access to a few exotics, strikes and a dungeon+raid, but none of it is mandatory in any way. The campaign is free now. People who owned it before the campaign became free just received 3 free exotics of their choice which is actually super nice, but not sure if that happens if you buy it now.
Shadowkeep ($8 or so): Gives you access to a few exotics, strikes and a dungeon+raid, but none of it is mandatory in any way.
Both the above are included in "Legendary editions" of the game, but I wouldn't buy that bundle. You can buy both these separately for cheap, and the Deluxe edition below is the better bundle.

30th anniversary($20 or so): Gives access to a new dungeon, the rocket launcher Gjallarhorn, and some cosmetics. The dungeon is very cool and fun, but it's pretty lovely value for money.

"Beyond Light Deluxe Edition" ($35 or so): This is the same as the 1 season version above, but also has access to 3 previous passes. You can't actually level those season passes anymore, but you get 1 free exotic for each of them and two of them are very good*. You also get access to a dungeon (Presage) which is super cool, can be soloed and drops probably the best allround weapon in the game if you get good rolls (Dead Man's Tale). I would actually recommend you get this, since upgrading to this later can only be done through official stores for a cool $30. Paying $10 more up front to get it is actually very much worth it imo.

All the prices above assume you buy from cd key seller sites (I have good experiences with cdkeys.com or g2a.com), which you should absolutely do if you like having money.

You can also buy Witch Queen normal or deluxe edition but that doesn't come out until February so it's really only if you know for sure you will be playing until then.

Oh it should be said that with the newest content drop there is actually a good amount of F2P content so you can consider playing for a few days before you buy anything.

* You will need to do this to get the exotics from past seasons (Ticcu's Divination, Duality, Cryosthesia): https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/pxy8bf/sga_you_can_still_obtain_old_armor_sets_seasonal/

Elerion fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 10, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

What was your experience if you don't mind me asking? (ok if you don't, I know the games industry can be rough)

Long story short, we crunched.

It was my first job out of school and my first time apart from my wonderful partner (I met her when we were both teenagers) in a few years. After six months of 80-100 hour weeks with no feedback, just filling up Excel spreadsheets until midnight and hurling them into the void of the Perforce repo to meet an endless series of deadlines (D1 proper, DLC1, DLC2...) I was doing nights in the ER. A couple times I slashed my arm open in the morning so I'd be forced to go in to work to use the medical cabinet there to stop the bleeding. I asked for mental health leave. They said "if we did that we'd have to give everyone else mental health leave." So I quit and spent the rest of my 20s a depressed husk. I've been able to continue contributing to the IP - two of the next three expansions are titled with quotes from my work - but I haven't had a full time job since.

One night out on the town (the team did a LOT of drinking) I got left somewhere without a phone, really drunk and suicidal. I ended up wandering around asking strangers to help me. Nobody really wanted to, I guess I just looked like an ordinary Seattle vagrant. I ended up taking as much money as I could out of an ATM and giving it to a homeless guy, just to feel like somebody was gonna do something to help someone. I was pretty loving crazy by the end.

That Grimoire sure turned out nice though! Until they deleted it.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

General Battuta posted:

It was my first job out of school and my first time apart from my wonderful partner (I met her when we were both teenagers) in a few years. After six months of 80-100 hour weeks with no feedback, just filling up Excel spreadsheets until midnight and hurling them into the void of the Perforce repo to meet an endless series of deadlines (D1 proper, DLC1, DLC2...) I was doing nights in the ER. A couple times I slashed my arm open in the morning so I'd be forced to go in to work to use the medical cabinet there to stop the bleeding. I asked for mental health leave. They said "if we did that we'd have to give everyone else mental health leave." So I quit and spent the rest of my 20s a depressed husk. I've been able to continue contributing to the IP - two of the next three expansions are titled with quotes from my work - but I haven't had a full time job since.

One night out on the town (the team did a LOT of drinking) I got left somewhere without a phone, really drunk and suicidal. I ended up wandering around asking strangers to help me. Nobody really wanted to, I guess I just looked like an ordinary Seattle vagrant. I ended up taking as much money as I could out of an ATM and giving it to a homeless guy, just to feel like somebody was gonna do something to help someone. I was pretty loving crazy by the end.

That loving sucks. Sorry, man.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

Good lord. I feel horrible I ever gave them my time and money.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Failson posted:

Good lord. I feel horrible I ever gave them my time and money.
if everyone boycotted bungo now, all the rank and file would get laid off while the higher ups get golden parachutes and fly off to another cushy job or retirement. so you as an individual not giving them money doesn't help either. the only thing that will change anything is awareness, worker solidarity and mass action.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Roman posted:

awareness, worker solidarity and mass action.
Please note that I mean other people should do this, not me

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well our role is to post about it on a dead forum, so we're doing our part!

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

General Battuta posted:

jesus. Well, I extremely appreciate your work. The stuff you wrote is, in my opinion, some of the best video game writing i've ever read. The fact that it drat near killed you is just... soul crushing.

I hope you are doing better.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah that's the hard part. Obvious solution is game studios need to unionize but it's tough to encourage people to be the first wave of employees that just get fired for trying.

(the problem is capitalism)

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Elerion posted:

"Beyond Light + 1 season" ($25 or so) is what you want to access the majority of the current content including season pass. You don't need anything else. It's the most reasonable cheap entry, and probably the one I would choose if buying from official stores. Otherwise see deluxe below.

This is what else you can buy:
Forsaken ($8 or so): Gives you access to a few exotics, strikes and a dungeon+raid, but none of it is mandatory in any way. The campaign is free now. People who owned it before the campaign became free just received 3 free exotics of their choice which is actually super nice, but not sure if that happens if you buy it now.
Shadowkeep ($8 or so): Gives you access to a few exotics, strikes and a dungeon+raid, but none of it is mandatory in any way.
Both the above are included in "Legendary editions" of the game, but I wouldn't buy that bundle. You can buy both these separately for cheap, and the Deluxe edition below is the better bundle.

30th anniversary($20 or so): Gives access to a new dungeon, the rocket launcher Gjallarhorn, and some cosmetics. The dungeon is very cool and fun, but it's pretty lovely value for money.

"Beyond Light Deluxe Edition" ($35 or so): This is the same as the 1 season version above, but also has access to 3 previous passes. You can't actually level those season passes anymore, but you get 1 free exotic for each of them and two of them are very good*. You also get access to a dungeon (Presage) which is super cool, can be soloed and drops probably the best allround weapon in the game if you get good rolls (Dead Man's Tale). I would actually recommend you get this, since upgrading to this later can only be done through official stores for a cool $30. Paying $10 more up front to get it is actually very much worth it imo.

All the prices above assume you buy from cd key seller sites (I have good experiences with cdkeys.com or g2a.com), which you should absolutely do if you like having money.

You can also buy Witch Queen normal or deluxe edition but that doesn't come out until February so it's really only if you know for sure you will be playing until then.

Oh it should be said that with the newest content drop there is actually a good amount of F2P content so you can consider playing for a few days before you buy anything.

* You will need to do this to get the exotics from past seasons (Ticcu's Divination, Duality, Cryosthesia): https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/pxy8bf/sga_you_can_still_obtain_old_armor_sets_seasonal/

Cool thank you :)

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

General Battuta posted:

quote:

Hiponia specifically was told she couldn't get promoted because she "wasn't good enough at the game," despite the fact that her core narrative responsibilities were unrelated to gameplay design. But when she asked to be given time at work to play and improve, even offering to tie those hours into a specific work task, her request was denied.

This is a person on the narrative team, aka the team least likely to need to know the tiniest poo poo about how to play the game. What in the gently caress?

I mean I know it's an excuse management is using but like how do you even pretend that matters to whether she gets promoted or not?

blunderheart
Jul 1, 2021

General Battuta posted:

This is abjectly horrifying, holy christ. I can't fathom making it out of a work environment like that. It already felt so gross that the ongoing narrative is riding a lot of lore you helped with or singularly laid down without you receiving any compensation, but now that doesn't feel strong enough a descriptor. (It absolutely reframes the creation of the Books of Sorrow, which if I recall was also written in the midst of a lot of drinking.)

The game crashed on me earlier today and after I read the Kotaku write-up I couldn't bring myself to re-open it. What an absolute nightmare for everyone quoted in that story, and you as well.

COLT .45
Feb 22, 2008

It works EVERY time.

Roman posted:

if everyone boycotted bungo now, all the rank and file would get laid off while the higher ups get golden parachutes and fly off to another cushy job or retirement. so you as an individual not giving them money doesn't help either. the only thing that will change anything is awareness, worker solidarity and mass action.

Tangentially but worth recalling:

I didn't work at Bungie but I worked adjacent to them at MS for a good number of years. What I've noticed is that the bros who dominated middle and upper management in the 2000s through the earlier 2010s have been gradually moved on as company culture shifted (A lot of it in Microsoft's case really coincided with the departure of Sweaty Steve Ballmer). A certain figure at Xbox ended up at Blizzard after he got named and shamed for fostering generally hostile behavior, when he left MS he took an army of his cronies that he'd brought in with him.

When the word on Blizzard's woes got out, I got curious and googled him and of course his name popped in some of the Activision-Blizzard stories, and lo and behold he floated on to yet another tech company (with some cronies in tow of course); each time he left one of these employers, he got a notable promotion.

I'm using one guy as an example here but I have noticed a trend of these bad actors eventually getting "managed out" when they persist at their business too hard and for too long. And usually, they fail the gently caress upward.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

This really loving sucks because I remember how stoked you were when you broke the news about that job on HLP. Again, I'm sorry you ever had to deal with that. Your work is some of my favorite writing in several mediums and I hope things are only better for you from here on.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
drat Battuta that poo poo sucks, you and your work deserve so much better than how you were treated. BoS is when D2 lore hit its stride and you should share your experience with Bungie cause I know others feel the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone