Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe that's Pandaemonium, who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Tbh, any one of the last four could either come up in the 6.x patches, or even be involved in this new arc to establish some sense of continuity between 1.0-6.0 and 7.0 and on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RIP Pashtarot, said one thing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I went and looked it up, Pashtarot and Altima both got to say exactly one line each. And then the last two I'm not sure when they were even name dropped.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
do people really not get that the big venat scene was metaphor and not a 1:1 sequence of events how they happened

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Doesn't Gaius kill several off screen?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
read a drat book or go to church

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Doesn't Gaius kill several off screen?

That is a good point! I believe he has two red masks, so assuming he managed to perma kill them and they didn't escape back to the rift, that's 2/4 accounted for.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh right, I guess I just assumed he had killed a few of the minor ascians.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gauis getting several perma kills on Ascian without being able to channel aether is pretty badass, they would have been fights to watch

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh right, I guess I just assumed he had killed a few of the minor ascians.

He did kill a bunch of them, lots of black masks on his belt. But yeah the two red ones are convocation members.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I brought it up in my FC Discord, and someone said one of the red masks was Fandaniel's, which complicates matters further!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I brought it up in my FC Discord, and someone said one of the red masks was Fandaniel's, which complicates matters further!

If so, then he didn't manage to get a perma kill after all. Though I didn't realize all the Ascian masks were identifiable!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Waffleman_ posted:

That's actually logical, depending on when he killed him that might be why Fandaniel has to posess Asahi when possessing corpses is usually a minor Ascian thing. Although that would mean the Ascians he killed aren't permanently dead and we'd be back to square 1 :shrug:

And now that I think about it the existance of minor Ascians in the SMN questline means they had the means to ascend non-convocation Ancients right? Unless they were just sundered suckers.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
afaik black masks were always just random people they recruited to be evil wizards

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Farg posted:

do people really not get that the big venat scene was metaphor and not a 1:1 sequence of events how they happened

Multiple people think that because she and other npcs says "man" to refer to humankind that the game is being sexist by not considering women important. There is no helping them.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 12, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

He did kill a bunch of them, lots of black masks on his belt. But yeah the two red ones are convocation members.

twist: he didn't kill them, he just stole their masks

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Farg posted:

hydaelyn has been stuck in a tar pit for 12000 years actually

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

When you used Azem’s crystal Godbert should have appeared and hurled you into the dark sun so you end up buried in it with your feet sticking out

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, remind me again what the deal with that one kid from the HW FF6 quests was? Was he an Ancient or nah?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, remind me again what the deal with that one kid from the HW FF6 quests was? Was he an Ancient or nah?

He's a Warrior of Light from the Thirteenth, the reflection that became the Void after it was overcome by darkness.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man, it’s been ages then. For some reason I thought he was an Ascian.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pollyanna posted:

Oh man, it’s been ages then. For some reason I thought he was an Ascian.

TBF the reason you thought that is probably because Elidibus rescued him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

If you do all the SHB role quests, there's a quest chain that involves him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well he has the Echo so we know he has a sundered Ancient soul, though probably not one of the Convocation (to our knowledge, at least).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arist posted:

TBF the reason you thought that is probably because Elidibus rescued him.

Also his name is Unukalhai, which is the name of the brightest star in the constellation Serpentarius, and Serpentarius was the zodiac stone held by the secret boss Elidibus in FF Tactics.

Turns out that was just a red herring!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Farg posted:

Yes, and I'm sort of getting Mad at some of these takes and, god help me, I am getting moved to Post. A bit less because discussion moved on slightly, but still. I am actually a bit upset that more people are (perhaps willfully) not getting what the game is doing narratively and the point it is making about the Ancient society and its attitudes.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Farg posted:

I only have issues with the part up to her doing the sundering, before the death stranding. I just don’t see what is added to the scene by having it supposedly be a metaphor- I feel like the tweaks to make the scene not have to be a metaphor to make sense would not have been particularly huge or hard either. This is already pretty complicated and intricate lore that people get confused about regularly, suddenly introducing scenes we’re not supposed to take literally with nonexistent signposting of that fact seems likely to make people confused, and you can’t really blame the confused people for that IMO

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf the thing that made me mad was people acting like this game whose lead writer is a woman had the thematic beat of depression and giving up on life be delivered through a young girl, did this because they wanted to sell body pillows or because of 'anime bullshit'

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I thought the direction/"cinematography" (or whatever you'd call it) of the big Venat scene made it very obvious that this was more of a walk through time rather than her just walking down a street for a minute and seeing all this poo poo. The whole thing is presented very differently from the other standard cutscenes in the game where things are happening exactly how you see them. I'd say the signposting for it is very much existent, it just doesn't literally tell you that "hey, this is kind of metaphorical."

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Having all the But What If Venat Stupid And Bad, Also Let's Relitigate The Ancients chat under big black bars is very helpful for my blood pressure because that whole thing is going around in circles and is exhausting. And I'm exhausted enough from having finished Endwalker.

It's interesting because I absolutely loved the experience, I felt feelings at all the moments that were appropriate to feel them and yelled OH drat IT'S THAT PERSON at every moment they wanted me to... and I have the itching feeling in the back of my head that in some spots it wasn't actually entirely good? It is narratively and emotionally everything I wanted, spread out across a slightly uneven surface. But those smaller things that suck or stumble really don't matter to me in the face of them sticking the landing so drat hard. I have no time to gnaw on the metaphor/reality of Venat's big dramatic sunder-y cutscene because ah, I got the point that was being made, and I carry no particular mental baggage RE: the hope/despair thing the story is going hard on. I am too tired to philosophize, and also I got to have one last big stupid fight with Zenos and I think G'raha Tia's my WoL's boyfriend now. I'm good. I'm a simple person.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I can finally come back to this thread having finished the MSQ - I think as a whole the xpac was great and I like it more then shadowbringers. I think a lot of people are forgetting about annoying poo poo from ShB like Ran'jit or the really weird pacing because the game ended so strong. If anything Endwalker could have used a bit more breathing time between some of the big moments to give them time to stand on their own, but I understand why they did it the way they did.

11/10 will NG+ when it becomes available

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Some of the bits and pieces of Elpis felt a little too contrived, like Venat just-so-happening to take a job there after retiring from the Convocation, or everything to do with the Kairos machine. Also "Life is suffering so I will save everyone from suffering by ending life" is like the most basic-rear end jRPG villain motivation ever but tbqh I thought Meteion and Hermes were really good spins on it. There was a lot of "Argh, you beat me, I will now explain my life story" and it got a little long-winded at times, too. I think narratively it's weaker than Shadowbringers but 100% from a gameplay/visual perspective Endwalker is yet another step upward and forward for FFXIV and I can't wait to see the patch content.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

After a week of being unable to log into this game anywhere close to peak times I'm certainly coming around on the Amaurot vision of the past. Return us to the days of old where there were no 2002 errors and we knew naught but bliss!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

multijoe posted:

After a week of being unable to log into this game anywhere close to peak times I'm certainly coming around on the Amaurot vision of the past. Return us to the days of old where there were no 2002 errors and we knew naught but bliss!

I’m splitting this account into fourteen smaller accounts

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

mods change my name to Postingway

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm Disconnectingway

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I'm Laggingway.

(Seriously I swear to god my ping is just worse enough that it's making it harder to squeak out of AOEs. No, shut up, it's not because I'm playing Black Mage again. I'm sure.)

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

As someone who's been maining SMN since starting the game and was really excited to get the new Ifrit melee combo

The end to the final solo duty *owns hard*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm Queuingway