Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Lethal and nonlethal are prob just hold over of steel and sliver from the witcher 3. They obviously didn't get it to work anything like in the witcher 3 and it was just left in. Both just causes npcs to ragdoll so there is no difference. And there's only the cyberpsycho quest line that even cares about it.

i accidentally mixed up steel and silver all the time while playing witcher 3 and in most cases it really did not matter at all. you just have to bash the sword button a few more times

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

infernal machines posted:

I wonder if that'll get Cyberpunk too one day.

I think that majority of songs were written for the game.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Tenzarin posted:

Lethal and nonlethal are prob just hold over of steel and sliver from the witcher 3. They obviously didn't get it to work anything like in the witcher 3 and it was just left in. Both just causes npcs to ragdoll so there is no difference. And there's only the cyberpsycho quest line that even cares about it.

Takemura appreciates a specific nonlethal takedown, iirc

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the last i played any time you hit again after nonleathally downing a guy it does lethal, so you kinda gotta be careful to not double tap sometimes.

So what are our options? Fists and quickhacks?

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
if you Short Circuit somebody who's unaware of you and it one-shots them they still don't ragdoll! they just stand there doing their idle animation until the game goes "oh right they're unconscious" and they transition to their lying-down state. no, they don't fall over, they just go directly from vertical to horizontal.

also, not sure if this is true, but i read that even in the cyberpsycho quests, they won't die even if you're using lethal unless you do the usual "hit them while they're down" guaranteed kill. so the one place it might actually matter... doesn't because they decided to hold your hand and not let you gently caress up.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I just want a game with Cyberpunk 2077’s aesthetics and gloss, Disco Elysium’s dialogue and role playing, and Tokimeki Memorial’s reactivity and replayability...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Chloe Jessica posted:

also, not sure if this is true, but i read that even in the cyberpsycho quests, they won't die even if you're using lethal unless you do the usual "hit them while they're down" guaranteed kill. so the one place it might actually matter... doesn't because they decided to hold your hand and not let you gently caress up.

It’s worse than that, it just arbitrarily decides if you did it lethally or non-lethally because it’s broken. I did them all with non-lethal means and regularly got chastised for killing them instead.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kavros posted:

There's also a side gig saving a monk from gangsters where they have slightly different thank you dialog if you don't kill anyone.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Kavros posted:

Yeah, but that fight works on boss rules so you have to hit them again after beating them to actually put them down. Like the cyberpsychos, your weapon doesn’t matter until you hit them when they’re down.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s worse than that, it just arbitrarily decides if you did it lethally or non-lethally because it’s broken. I did them all with non-lethal means and regularly got chastised for killing them instead.

I just had Pax mods on all my weapons and never had this problem.

The only time it really made a difference was on the missions where it was required I kill someone and I had to figure out how to kill them without my weapons. Double-jumping in the air and landing on them was sufficient to finish them off.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I think if you had an elemental effect on your weapon it could break the boss rules wrt lethal versus non lethal. Like the damage ticks would keep going and count as the killing hit after they were already down.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
also the purple version of Cyberware Malfunction makes an implant explode when it wears off, which is generally well after the fight is over, so it counts as hitting them while they're down and kills them

and cyberpsychos are the main enemy you'd want to use Cyberware Malfunction on

and i can't equip the blue or lower version on my iconic cyberdeck because ?????

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Chloe Jessica posted:

if you Short Circuit somebody who's unaware of you and it one-shots them they still don't ragdoll! they just stand there doing their idle animation until the game goes "oh right they're unconscious" and they transition to their lying-down state. no, they don't fall over, they just go directly from vertical to horizontal.

That's any boss fight I think, I brutally owned that one guy in the brothel and then later on got a quest to kill him with Judy. I'd slashed him to pieces with a samurai sword, but because I stopped when his health meter hit 0% it wasn't a kill

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
I reinstalled this game to see what is different from release and the first thing that happened as I left my home was a NPC running over other NPCs in his car, then all the other people doing the crouch hiding animation forever.

So really nothing has changed by the looks of it?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This is a relatively minor complaint, but the whole area of the map that exists but you can only see it in the Nomad opening bothered me. I tried to get over there so many times on previous playthroughs, and no matter what you do if you get past the gates you just die if you go far enough. I wasted so much time destroying turrets, taking out all the guards, flying through on a motorcycle, and no matter what it just kills you if you go past the gate far enough.

Invisible walls bother me, but having a part of the map cordoned off without even a strong narrative explanation for it was irritating.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Mellow_ posted:

I reinstalled this game to see what is different from release and the first thing that happened as I left my home was a NPC running over other NPCs in his car, then all the other people doing the crouch hiding animation forever.

So really nothing has changed by the looks of it?

bug-free playthroughs are now, at least, somewhat possible, but depending on how your game loads up it can be a luck-of-the-draw situation.

reducing NPC crowds helps in some cases.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I haven't gone back to play much lately, but is the bug where you t-pose while running and just kind of slide along still a thing? I always thought that was one of the more amusing bugs.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I had that happen the other day, yeah, I looked down and my legs were completely still like my character was ice skating

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

2house2fly posted:

I had that happen the other day, yeah, I looked down and my legs were completely still like my character was ice skating

I mostly noticed it because the audio for running would go away and I'd see my shadow t-posing. Not a huge deal but LOL at immersion in those moments.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“This game lets me dismember people into fetid piles of chili, but then it has the temerity to pause and ask me to reflect on all the violence I am gleefully engaging in!”

- a genius, who understands things

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Oh that's what that is. I had the footstep audio cut out running down some stairs and the movement ent all weird until I reached the bottom

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

“This game lets me dismember people into fetid piles of chili, but then it has the temerity to pause and ask me to reflect on all the violence I am gleefully engaging in!”

- a genius, who understands things

I mean kind of?

Most games aren't presenting you with a choice between violence and non-violence. They're just making you choose between murder or not. "Is it okay to murder my way through hundreds of people" isn't much of a question is it?

Moreover the "non-murder" that the games give you are magic items that always employ the precise amount of tranquilizer/electricity/blunt force trauma to incapacitate and not kill. In real life all of these forms of violence have the capacity to kill, even when they aren't intended to.

A lot of games have a setup where the primary form of interaction is violence, so they can't make it a question of violence or non-violence, so we get the lukewarm, "kill or incapacitate" option that is so overused it has become cliche. I just think there's a lot of unused potential there.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I like and appreciate Arkane's "power corrupts" narrative and hope they make more games with gameplay tied to narrative and world states.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
“Kill or endlessly, pedantically argue with over the Internet” should be used as a means of taking out an enemy to be more relatable to the player base.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

itry posted:

I like and appreciate Arkane's "power corrupts" narrative and hope they make more games with gameplay tied to narrative and world states.

Gameplay tied to narrative is one thing, but I don't want a game to be wagging its finger at me while I'm trying to have fun.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

"We musn't have any stories about the cost of vengeance or unchecked brutality in our games in case we offend some players" isn't a trend I'd like to see.

Play the game once, enjoy the narrative. Play the game twice, enjoy the gameplay. That finger that's wagging at you is in your head.

Edit:

Robobot posted:

... But I just looked at that as gameplay, not judgement.

Pretty much.

itry fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 13, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I’ve never played a game that I felt “judged” me. I mean, past little things like NPCs being pissed I shot their store up or a follower leaving in an RPG because I killed their entire faction or something. But I just looked at that as gameplay, not judgement.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Gameplay tied to narrative is one thing, but I don't want a game to be wagging its finger at me while I'm trying to have fun.

games are not wagging their finger at you. they dont know you or anything about you. being a "bad" character according to the moral framework of a fictional narrative does not mean you the player are in any way a bad person and i really dont think any game is trying to imply that you are. again, they dont know you.

when developers put moral choices in video games i am pretty sure they expect most players to experiment with all the choices to see the different outcomes, its not some kind of test of your own personal morality which, again, they do not know and dont care about

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think Bioshock or Dishonored or inFamous are judging you, they are populating the world with a reflection of the PC.

I also don’t think that gaming should have a genuinely defined framework for how to approach morality. Sometimes the game will give you a knife and you can just murder everyone but it’s GTA so it doesn’t effect anything and the game just throws more cops at you but doesn’t punish you or chastise you because that wouldn’t make sense in a game about crime. Dishonored is a game about revenge so there being consequences for your actions has a hugely thematic resonance in addition to being a gameplay mechanic. Corvo’s revenge really changed the world of Dunwall, for better or worse, and the game hits harder because of that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

All and all I did like that game for doing something unique but it's main twist completely failed with me because despite not knowing anything about the game during the point where you have to shoot the white phosphorous mortar I decided that I wanted to climb down first to see the targets for myself, but the game just flat out doesn't let you use the ladder. So the whole "you killed those people" thing didn't work on me.
Still pretty great. More so if you consider the target audience, which I wasn't a part of.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Spec Ops is basically a masterpiece and should be mandatory for everyone that owns a military shooter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The game may not be judging you, but I, personally, am.

You monster.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Jack Trades posted:

All and all I did like that game for doing something unique but it's main twist completely failed with me because despite not knowing anything about the game during the point where you have to shoot the white phosphorous mortar I decided that I wanted to climb down first to see the targets for myself, but the game just flat out doesn't let you use the ladder. So the whole "you killed those people" thing didn't work on me.
Still pretty great. More so if you consider the target audience, which I wasn't a part of.

Same situation for me. the game touted choice for every aspect, but didn't give us one for that moment, in a situation where they yelled that we had to but it didn't feel like we had to. It effectively made me annoyed when they tried to pin choices on me for the rest of the game. I don't know what they could have done to make a player choose an uncomfortable choice writing wise, and understand the need for a failure state for the character, but wish it was done better overall.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is a way to write that scenario such that it becomes clear that the point of no return had long since passed you by, potentially gating you behind equally grotesque options or simply by offering you a way out and then pulling the rug out from underneath you because actually it was the other atrocity you committed two levels ago that really sacced your soul to the devil. I thought the game was written really well but they were writing that scene for people immersed in the narrative, not necessarily people who were more aware of the game and what it was trying to do.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I vaguely remember hearing some behind-the-scenes stuff about Spec Ops that they did want to branch the story based on what you did with the white phosphorus, but the budget ran low so it got cut

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I still maintain a decent "story-based" action RPG needs needs to branch off twice into two directions at some points in the first half of the game (once around the first quarter and again at half-time), leading to four complete different story lines in the second half. And not disclose that before release of the game, so that people rushing through it are like wtf.

However no one's gonna do that ever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
MORE LIES FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF LIES

https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1470501743398211587?s=21

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That's just great now Keanu Reeves is ICR'ring us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i mean why would he, it was an easy payday where he could do a poo poo job with no consequences