Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Robot Style posted:

The Sonic Rangers leak from a while back mentions a "ghost girl" who refills Super Sonic's rings, and that the Chaos Emeralds are found in "cyberspace" zones, so maybe she (everyone?) is trapped there for some reason.

Some info I saw on a game news website last night and maybe got pulled is that the voice is Amy, and Sonic's friends need to be rescued in the AI world or wherever the hell he ends up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robot Style posted:

The Sonic Rangers leak from a while back mentions a "ghost girl" who refills Super Sonic's rings, and that the Chaos Emeralds are found in "cyberspace" zones, so maybe she (everyone?) is trapped there for some reason.

Huh, I wonder if that means Super Sonic is available right from the start or something. But yeah, according to the tweet at the top of the last page apparently Amy’s Japanese VA confirmed the “ghost voice” was her in a now deleted tweet so you might be on to something.

Maybe Sonic’s various friends become playable characters after you rescue them ala Sonic Advance 2 or something

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Knuckles seems like he was made for open world games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I could see a mechanic where you can switch characters at will after unlocking them and use them later to solve puzzles or get by certain obstacles (maybe there are even a few secrets hidden in some of the early areas if you go back with a new character in tow)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Given we saw cars marked with a GUN insignia a while back, I'm wondering if this isn't some joint S3 / SA adaptation and the next (and presumably final) film will adapt Sonic Adventure 2.

Course hypothetical-movie-3 could adapt Sonic Heroes and, given the care that's clearly on show, it could enthrall me.

They apparently want to make a Sonic cinematic universe so... look forward to the small scale Chaotix movie in 2029 where the Chaotix are trapped in a mansion trying to solve a murder mystery.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'm honestly not surprised that Sonic Team moved in an open world direction after a billion fan games all did a generic Green Hill tech demo with the general reaction being, "OMG WHY DON'T THEY MAKE THIS A WHOLE GAME??". They're fun playgrounds, but there needs to be some structure to keep it interesting after the first hour.

Do I trust Sonic Team to strike that balance? Ehhhhh

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’d be nice if they actually committed to a gameplay style long enough to create a handful of solidly good games before switching gears for the twentieth time.

Even the boost formula has like…two games that are broadly regarded favorably. And there’s only FOUR games using it, and that’s NO good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

It’d be nice if they actually committed to a gameplay style long enough to create a handful of solidly good games before switching gears for the twentieth time.

Even the boost formula has like…two games that are broadly regarded favorably. And there’s only FOUR games using it, and that’s NO good.

Technically the boost mechanic originated in the Sonic Rush series on the DS so it’s been in 6 games so far (8 if you count the handheld versions of Colors and Generations separately)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’m going by Sonic Team stuff, and especially not 2D games since that’s a whole different beast from 3D games, boost or not.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Four is plenty, and with Unleashed able to be emulated now they're all available in some form of another.

We don't even know what the gameplay will be like, or if there'll be separate levels with more traditional gameplay. The open world will presumably be pretty fast, even if it isn't at boost speeds.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm excited because one of my biggest complaints about almost every open world game I've played is that the movement is too slow and cludgey. i hope fast travel is just sonic running really fast

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wish they would make a solo Knuckles standalone game, if only so I could watch Ken Penders cry about it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Iizuka has said that this is supposed to be a foundation they'll use for Sonic's gameplay for a long time. I'll see if I can find the quote.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Electric Phantasm posted:

Knuckles seems like he was made for open world games.

Absolutely, he's perfect for a BotW-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off game. He climbs! He glides! He punches through cracked walls!

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Looper posted:

sonic ftw

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The mistake they made with sonic's friends back in early 3D is making them totally different (as time-fillers) rather than just having them as 'sonic with slightly different moves so you can pick the one you like best and/or unlock a few small different areas' like in the 2D games, which would be great in a decent physics-y open world.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 11, 2021

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There are no mistakes made with Sonic’s friends they are all beautiful

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Hello new avatar

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

There are no mistakes made with Sonic’s friends they are all beautiful

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

I was expecting this, and yet I was not expecting this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AOSTH is getting a complete series release:

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1470590730024280073

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I adored that series as a kid, and I think it’s the only series I can say I watched every episode of while it was airing. I may actually get that for the hell of it.

Unlike Sat AM or whatever you want to call proto-Archie Sonic, which I abhorred. Yeah yeah, I know, but I blame Robotnik. Long John Baldry is probably the one unironically good thing from that series, and to go from that to Generic Cartoon Villain was just too a bridge too far.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fuckin' called it.

Fedule posted:

There's all kinds of places they could go from here but all of them would require them to choose something and then stick with it for a couple years, and, worse, would require them to iterate on it over a couple titles instead of jumping about between styles and design approaches like it seems they have been, like, I don't care if you pick Unleashed or Colours or Lost World or Generations as your template just pick one and make three more. Anyway I eagerly await Sonic's pivot to open world.

Several months later I also wrote this;

Fedule posted:

...there was at least a progression going on from Unleashed to Colours to Generations to Forces with some idea of what the game part of this was actually going to be, with the common core being Boost Sonic with some way of working around the content scalability problem (and somehow only Colours (and later Lost World) offered "try making content in a scalable way" as a solution). I have no idea what anyone in Sega is thinking, I don't know what they're about to try, hell I barely know who's even making these decisions let alone have any opinion re: their capabilities. I don't know what they're even thinking might be a good thing to iterate on or a good thing to throw away and invent anew.

If the leaker is to be believed, they're going to try and revise the way all of this controls a little. Okay. Maybe the thinking is that Boost Sonic isn't working, and they need to find some ways to introduce enough fine control to actually design some challenging levels and interesting concepts around, instead of falling back on what if less error margin and everything is cake for progression? I could stand to have that. The problem, on multiple levels, is space. Mario was able to seamlessly shift into basically open world game design because the space taken up by most Mario obstacle courses is tiny; they're small enough that you can cram a bunch of them into a larger space and have enough control over access and visibility and all that to let a player walk between them freely, or, you can cram as few or many them as you like into a space as big or little as you like and have it basically work. As it stands that's not really gonna work with Sonic and the way Sonic controls now and the kind of places that Sonic runs through, covering the length of Skyrim in three minutes (I am once again asking for a source for the Dragon Road/Skyrim comparison). It seems faintly absurd to imagine Sonic as-is going into an open-world setting...

There are a lot of ways that an open-world Sonic game could work... and a lot it could blow up spectacularly, and I for one cannot wait to find out what outcome they're going to bring about. I hope this can be the New Sonic Cycle.

The things that I immediately want to know are;

1) How does it control

and

2) How much world is there

I'll grant that making a single enormous space that's the size of a modern open-world game that you can explore all of rather than making nine or ten levels the size of modern open-world games in the development span of one game (I will never stop asking; does anyone have a source for the Dragon Road/Skyrim anecdote?) is certainly one way to address the consistent problem Sonic Team has had with the whole thing where it just takes too many man hours to make all those environments that nobody's gonna really get to soak in. The problem I imagine with this approach is the one outlined in the quote above; your Marios Odyssey and your Breaths of the Wild make their open worlds work because the setpieces don't require much space to breathe; neither Link nor Mario goes fast (thinking for now only about world design and not about the tech part where we have to stream data) and Mario's obstacle courses can be packed together in a space fairly densely while Link's dungeons needn't even occupy the open world at all, imposing on it only for a tiny entry point. While BotW also counts broad environment traversal as a main gameplay draw, the pace when you're exploring is usually still fairly slow, even when you're not stopping to smell the roses. Sonic, on the other hand, wants to "get through" enormous stretches of space at what we're intended to believe is uncommon speed; it's a bigger deal to make a platforming area for Sonic and not only accommodate multiple paths through but situate it in a larger world and account for its visibility from arbitrarily far away, and make it comprehensible to navigate around on your way elsewhere.

The current modern 3D Sonic games have a hard enough time as it is organically shifting from fast bits to slow bits and back again, not to mention wrangling the camera, when everything is linear and scripted. To do this in an open-world game more or less necessitates that they completely rethink how Sonic controls, how the game presents the tools you use to get around and frames it in a way that makes the absurd task of doing the actual things Sonic does comprehensible in human controller inputs. We're gonna need an entire game's worth of Homing Attack-sized reconceptualizations.

Which also brings us to; what kind of space even is this thing going to be in, and who else is going to be in it? I mean, like, in the setting, Sonic's always drawn a pretty clear line between Adventure Field Settings and Action Stage Settings, it would be absurd to stop in the middle of a typical Sonic Stage and accept a quest from someone or something, in a way that wouldn't and hasn't been a problem for Link when some NPC shows up out in the field.

I say all of this to outline; I'm trying to guess where even makes sense for them to go with this, and I've got nothing. They could try basically anything, and therefore we have to get hype for everything. The possibilities are never-ending. I see it. I see it, and now it's all within my reach...

fake edit to add:

Larryb posted:

AOSTH is getting a complete series release:

Hell yes.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'd love a BOTW mod just to run around as Sonic. Closest puts a Sonic model on the motorcycle.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The biggest test is how travel works. If the world is littered with landmarks and the objects that reward the player for successfully interacting them with speed, and traveling the world fast by mastering gameplay, then it could be a joy to play even if it’s just farting around in the world like those fangame demos.

If Sonic has a set max speed and you travel in a straight line with nothing but the occasional badnik that dies to a homing attack or boosting through it without real interaction then it’ll suck. Or worse, they add fast travel or actual vehicles.

This can work, but it requires a good chunk of development time, and I get the feeling this didn’t start development until maybe early 2020.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fun fact: More people have beaten the entire story in Marvel's Spider-Man than have used fast travel five times. And the only reason we know that is because they made using fast travel five times a trophy. I've yet to meet anyone whose used it more than exactly five times. This tells you something about Marvel's Spider-Man.

A Sonic open-world game should not have a fast travel system. If it's done well nobody would even want one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fedule posted:

Fun fact: More people have beaten the entire story in Marvel's Spider-Man than have used fast travel five times. And the only reason we know that is because they made using fast travel five times a trophy. I've yet to meet anyone whose used it more than exactly five times. This tells you something about Marvel's Spider-Man.

A Sonic open-world game should not have a fast travel system. If it's done well nobody would even want one.

you could fast travel to almost any point on the map, which I assure you people did constantly. the fast travel trophy was for using the subway, which was a wholly pointless mechanic outside the cute loading screens (and those disappeared too on next-gen versions because the PS5 loaded so quickly)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The Pathless had a neat idea of rhythmically hitting targets as you move to keep yourself running quickly and smoothly across a vast landscape. The game as a whole wasn't anything amazing but I was impressed that they made the basic movement feel so fun and fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNl8NvvO44s

I have no idea how you could translate that concept across to a Sonic game but it's what I think of when I think about Sonic-like movement in an open world.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm probably just being cynical cause I watched a video about what happened to Mega Man Universe lately. That game was announced waaaaay before they'd even decided what it was going to be, and after all the big, vague promises they made the best they could eventually come up with was "ugly Mega Man 2 remake with a level editor". This is coming off similarly to me, like they started with the inevitability of needing to make another Sonic game, workshopped a generic title, then spent the rest of the year farting around until they came up with an elevator pitch. And now they have a year to execute on it because Sega JP management is completely detached from reality.

E: This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biwsmuT73qA

Dabir fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 14, 2021

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

You'll get a recharging or consumable power up which makes Sonic go uncontrollably fast, only worthwhile on highways, straightaways, and open areas for casual players. It will be Sonic's new signature 'pink flames with cyan right angles' look which makes him frown.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really do wonder how big the world is gonna be. I feel like if you're gonna put Sonic into an open world setting, you need to make the map absolutely MASSIVE to make up for how fast you'll get from place to place

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Party Boat posted:

The Pathless had a neat idea of rhythmically hitting targets as you move to keep yourself running quickly and smoothly across a vast landscape. The game as a whole wasn't anything amazing but I was impressed that they made the basic movement feel so fun and fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNl8NvvO44s

I have no idea how you could translate that concept across to a Sonic game but it's what I think of when I think about Sonic-like movement in an open world.

the pathless kicks rear end, chaining skill shots together was such a simple but satisfying mechanic

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i rlly wanna run up the spirally tower in the trailer

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

You'll get a recharging or consumable power up which makes Sonic go uncontrollably fast, only worthwhile on highways, straightaways, and open areas for casual players. It will be Sonic's new signature 'pink flames with cyan right angles' look which makes him frown.

Hmm yes, a boost of some kind.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

This is loving sweet.

I wish I still had a device that could play physical media!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I mean mismanagement and Sega go hand in hand, but i don't see many parallels between Megaman Universe and Sonic Frontiers. MMU eventually became a Megaman version of Super Mario Maker years before SMM, which would have been rad if not for the insistence on making it have 'realistic physics' and bland graphics based on popular western cartoons. Like just make it look and play like a megaman game why was that not the idea from the start?

Frontiers could be just Sonic Team grabbing the latest popular nintdndo thing and trying to do something kinda like that again (what we've seen so far looks as much like botw as Lost World looked like Mario Galaxy). But equally Frontiers looks very similar to the Sonic 06 teaser, which looked nothing like 06 ended up at all, so maybe there is some vision of a 'next gen' sonic thats been percolating all this time. Maybe its both. I hope its entertaining whatever it ends up being.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Mario Galaxy ripped off SA2 btw just to be clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MJeff posted:

Mario Galaxy ripped off SA2 btw just to be clear.

SA2 ripped off Yoshi's Island