Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

homullus posted:

You will live your whole life never once seeing a "decent" story-based RPG because your definition of what makes one "decent" is really bad.
I'm sure glad the Cyberpunk 2077 thread still doesn't disappoint with its arbiter-of-truth hot takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

chaosapiant posted:

How are the controls clunky? I use a controller, but I can play W2 on Dark Mode and it’s pretty easy to control and maneuver the character. And in general I don’t play games on their hardest difficulties and Dark Souls kicked my rear end, so I’m not saying I’m an elite gamer. I just find all three Witcher games way easy even on highest difficulty settings.

the clunkiness is in comparison to dark souls. geralt's movement in W2 and W3, compared to dark souls, is just not as good. The elaborate attack animations are all fine and good, but they have different timings, and you don't always know what geralt will exactly do when you press the attack button. In a soulsborne game, you know exactly what the character will do for each attack in a combo, etc. This can lead to people feeling W3 is more clunky.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wish we had PS5 patch in time for Christmas

I hate spoberponk

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Tenzarin posted:

Even the john wick movies got boring as he was basically doing the same poo poo as he always does, dark clothes mayby trench coats and is the best at everything.

The third film largely consisted of people throwing or being thrown by the main character into large sheets of glass. Which makes me wonder how long before someone builds this into a side quest and works it into the 'boxing' quest chain.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bust Rodd posted:

I wish we had PS5 patch in time for Christmas

I hate spoberponk

They could put out a decent sized patch with some fixes/improvements and have one of those wacky in-universe promo blogs for it saying "merry christmas chooms, some residents of Pacifica have reportedly been turned into pigs". There's still time!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm trying to find out details about 1.4 but all I find is clickbait articles.

Is there info whether theres gonna be any substantial content in 1.4? or is it just the next gen console update?

Still have not played this game and waiting for the best time (I usually only do 1 playthrough in these type of games so I want to make it count)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think they said they'll skip 1.4 and update 1.5 will be more substantial and be released early in the new year. Regardless, you're a long way off from the best time to play- they haven't even announced if they'll be doing expansions yet

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They haven’t said anything but everyone who actually reports on video games expects that the “Next-Gen” upgrade will coincide with the 1.5 update, which is essentially the Cyberpunk 2077 version of The Mueller Report.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Man I just want to some more cyberpunk 2077

Just gimme a date or something! The 1 year anniversary was kind of a wet thump and I think the media team just thanked “the fans”

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Ok so brutally honest here, is it pointless to wait for a day when cyberpunk would closer resemble the ideal it should have been?

Because if 1.4/5 is indeed just another laundry list of inconsequential changes I might just start my playthrough now with a few mods so I can get this over with.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Mikojan posted:

Ok so brutally honest here, is it pointless to wait for a day when cyberpunk would closer resemble the ideal it should have been?

Only CDPR can really answer that but it seems very unlikely they would add so much missing content, completely overhaul fundamental gameplay mechanics, etc.

I doubt CDPR's wishlist for the game is anything like the players'.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why not play a good game instead? You don't have to get this "over with"

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
my V is trans and i wish the game would let me have a conversation with Claire about being transgender in Night City but since i can't explicitly tell the game im trans i get why it isn't an option

it's down to the character creator's flaws and that's a discussion that's been had a million times already

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does anyone have any good build guides? I'm playing on the PC now but my last playthrough was on the PS5 and I tried stealth and I didn't have the greatest time. I wouldn't mind trying something new but I don't want to gimp myself.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyberpunk is always going to be a FPS shooty version of The Witcher where every choice that moved the game away from The Witcher was in hindsight probably a mistake.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

MarcusSA posted:

Does anyone have any good build guides? I'm playing on the PC now but my last playthrough was on the PS5 and I tried stealth and I didn't have the greatest time. I wouldn't mind trying something new but I don't want to gimp myself.

netrunner is still the way to go. Short Circuit is super overpowered and if you prioritize getting the best cyberdeck it pretty well trivializes most of the game. it's also better for stealth than the actual stealth stat because you can hide behind a box and hack everyone from a distance.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Why not play a good game instead? You don't have to get this "over with"

Well I bought it at full price, judging by the thread the game isn't BAD bad and probably still worth a playthrough

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I am of the view that netrunner probably isn't the most fun because of how broken Short Circuit is. Playing a shooty assault rifle guy seems like it actually lets you enjoy the gunplay a bit more.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chloe Jessica posted:

netrunner is still the way to go. Short Circuit is super overpowered and if you prioritize getting the best cyberdeck it pretty well trivializes most of the game. it's also better for stealth than the actual stealth stat because you can hide behind a box and hack everyone from a distance.

OK that sounds great! Is there a particular way I should allocate my points as I level up?

Also the PC AI is still decently buggy but so far it's nothing game breaking... more immersion breaking.

Had a lady walking down the street talking on a cell phone. She disappeared but her cellphone kept trucking along in the air lol.

The AI also does that GTA thing where if you get into a shoot out everyone is crouching down even pretty far away.

EDIT:

Alchenar posted:

I am of the view that netrunner probably isn't the most fun because of how broken Short Circuit is. Playing a shooty assault rifle guy seems like it actually lets you enjoy the gunplay a bit more.

Would love to check that out too if you have a decent build to follow?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Just buff pistol damage, pistol headshot damage, pistol crit chance and then just Dirty Har-V your way through the game. Get a silenced magnum revolver and you'll never have to switch weapons.

Or not, variety is good too. I bought a pistol that shoots homing bullets with random elemental damage. Maybe a little too Borderlands, but the game can be a little too Borderlands at times anyways.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

King Vidiot posted:

Just buff pistol damage, pistol headshot damage, pistol crit chance and then just Dirty Har-V your way through the game. Get a silenced magnum revolver and you'll never have to switch weapons.

Or not, variety is good too. I bought a pistol that shoots homing bullets with random elemental damage. Maybe a little too Borderlands, but the game can be a little too Borderlands at times anyways.

This is what I did. Grab a pistol with the highest single shot damage (not DPS) and go for headshots. You'll clear a whole building without anyone noticing.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
points are plentiful, so you can actually spec evenly in both guns and running and max out your relevant perks in both. i didn't elect to go that route, im jacking up Body so i can equip better implants, but it's definitely an option.

my netrunner build is pretty simple. prioritize getting the perks that let you craft higher-tier quickhacks; they get way stronger and you can also sell the extras. you get quickhack crafting materials by hacking access points, so you'll also want to get both levels of the Advanced Datamine perk as well as Datamine Virtuoso under Breach Protocol (it's governed by Intelligence same as Quickhacking is). beyond that, take the obvious Quickhacking perks: increased damage, more duration, reduced cost, etc etc. skip anything that affects Spread; it only matters to Contagion and Contagion sucks.

Breach Protocol is pretty useful for stealth; you can breach any enemy in the area and it will affect all of them, in most cases. it gives you a lot of options to soften enemies up before you start taking them down, and it also shuts down cameras and turrets if you pick the right perks.

my V is currently (and has been for a long time) using the iconic Netwatch NetDriver Mk.V cyberdeck. my quickhack loadout is as follows:

* Weapon Glitch - i don't usually use this one, it's unnecessary, but the legendary version has a passive that lets me shut down all enemy weapons when i breach, and that's pretty useful
* Overheat - non-lethal fire damage over time, my cyberdeck makes it a small AoE
* Short Circuit - non-lethal shock damage, hits extremely hard and has a small DoT, cyberdeck makes it a small AoE
* Ping - reveals enemy locations, a must-have even if you're not a runner imo. legendary version lets you hack cameras and turrets through walls
* System Reset - one-hit KOs one enemy. mostly there for something to use while Short Circuit and Overheat cool down
* Reboot Optics - similar to Weapon Glitch, has a passive that blinds any breached enemy that sees me, but the hack itself isn't that useful

im level 43, but only a little ways into the story because ive been going around doing all the side missions. that's just how i play open world games. i got the NetDriver super early, i prioritized it, and it's carried me through the whole game.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Cyberpunk is always going to be a FPS shooty version of The Witcher where every choice that moved the game away from The Witcher was in hindsight probably a mistake.

at least in the witcher you can ride horses and use weapons at the same time

i dont have a problem with cyberpunk being an fps shooty version of the witcher, i have a problem with it being bad at very basic action game things that don't seem particularly challenging because many other games already have them. like, you've got a world full of badass motorcycles and motorcycle gangs and nomadic desert car-obsessed gangs, yet you will never get into any kind of car chase outside of a scripted mission, you'll never even see an npc on a moving motorcycle. the game is just so weirdly limited in so many stupid ways

in my playthrough the only major difference ive noticed being "fixed" by patches is that when the game first came out, cops would literally not react to me no matter what i did. now i can actually get wanted levels but still they don't really chase you or anything

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 14, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Mikojan posted:

Well I bought it at full price, judging by the thread the game isn't BAD bad and probably still worth a playthrough

The game is good, but it's likely to get better. Don't pull the trigger just yet

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

2house2fly posted:

The game is good, but it's likely to get better. Don't pull the trigger just yet

cool, ill finish my kingdom come and red dead playthroughs first then

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Would love to check that out too if you have a decent build to follow?

Not really. Just spec into reflex or body and pick 'shoot people harder' talents. Consider also a few points into tech/engineering for the smart/tech weapon upgrades.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Mikojan posted:

On a technical level it's hilariously bad. The game often just doesn't work, the AI is a mess, perks are meaningless, etc etc etc. But from a story/character level you're going to get a pretty wide range of responses. On that front I'd classify it more as Wildly Disappointing than I would Bad, per se. Some people like it, not impossible you're one of them.

Since you already bought it I'd just wait and see another couple months. It's not going anywhere and maybe a miracle patch will finally happen (lol).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the best thing about the game is the city itself.

as an action game its a mess, as an rpg its p much a failure, as a story it's ok, but the design of the city is actually really cool and the most fun i have in the game is just driving/walking around looking at stuff and soaking up the atmosphere.

the vehicle design is great too from a purely visual perspective - too bad about the driving.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 15, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Burning_Monk posted:

This is what I did. Grab a pistol with the highest single shot damage (not DPS) and go for headshots. You'll clear a whole building without anyone noticing.

Yeah, you can stealth through pretty much any encounter like this in the same way you could in say Deus Ex: HR. Between headshot damage multipliers, sneaking damage multipliers, and critical hit multipliers you can do a ridiculous amount of damage with a single shot.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

yeah wait until the next update. I think it's gonna be juicy

1.5 patch + Next-Gen update + DLC

I'm pretty sure patch 1.5 is going to be a bunch of nondescript fixes so that the DLC can run on the old consoles - I think most of the actual "make the city feel alive" updates/features will be tied into the Next-Gen update, because I can't see the old consoles being able to hack it. But last gen will get the fairly linear story DLC because they're obligated to release that

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Chloe Jessica posted:

my V is trans and i wish the game would let me have a conversation with Claire about being transgender in Night City but since i can't explicitly tell the game im trans i get why it isn't an option

it's down to the character creator's flaws and that's a discussion that's been had a million times already

Which reminds me, make Claire a romanceable character, you cowards

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

edogawa rando posted:

Which reminds me, make Claire a romanceable character, you cowards

:hmmyes:

she's so goddamn cute

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

Man CD project just can’t get anything out in a timely manner lol

https://youtu.be/wNYnAgNACnk

The TLDW is there is a massive vulnerability in the GoG client and they’ve pretty much brushed it off since it was brought to their attention.

Hey so, I'm not super good on computers and I watched the video and am still a bit confused about what this actually is. Can someone tell me if I should uninstall GOG since I only play Cyberpunk through it and currently don't have it installed to be on the safe side? I doubt a warehouse manager in training is high on any hacker's list, but you never know.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Robobot posted:

Hey so, I'm not super good on computers and I watched the video and am still a bit confused about what this actually is. Can someone tell me if I should uninstall GOG since I only play Cyberpunk through it and currently don't have it installed to be on the safe side? I doubt a warehouse manager in training is high on any hacker's list, but you never know.

It almost certainly doesn't matter unless you have other people using your computer as "limited user" accounts that you don't want being able to make system wide changes to your PC. In theory it could be used in combination with other exploits, if someone already had access to your PC as a limited user, to give them admin access, but odds are if this is your personal computer, you've got bigger problems anyway if someone you don't trust has remote access.

It's safer in general not to have something exploitable like this installed, but again, it relies on someone already having access (physical or remote) to your PC.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I skimmed a couple of the comments (didn't have time to watch the video and didn't feel much like making time as iirc that guy is a gamergate guy) and someone said this kind of vulnerability is common among game launcher apps, like apparently it would be way easier to exploit steam in the same way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Steam has had several of these and much worse remotely exploitable bugs.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Mikojan posted:

Because if 1.4/5 is indeed just another laundry list of inconsequential changes I might just start my playthrough now with a few mods so I can get this over with.

First time?

I think it really depends on your expectations. I followed the dev interviews, the trailers and all the prehype and thought "Ok, this is not my first rodeo and these promises are impossible to keep. But if the game itself turns out to be half as good as they say, it will still be amazing".

And then the game dropped and it was lame and lovely and especially the story and lack of choices were a disappointment for me, cause I was expecting Witcher-style reactivity and a city that would at least be on par with older open world games like Vice City or GTA 4.

But if you did not follow the marketing and have zero expectations you might as well go for it now. Considering what they have deliverered so far I really doubt that 1.5. will add anything of note, except for more bug fixes. And maybe a new jacket or, if they feel really generous, a new gun.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chloe Jessica posted:

points are plentiful, so you can actually spec evenly in both guns and running and max out your relevant perks in both. i didn't elect to go that route, im jacking up Body so i can equip better implants, but it's definitely an option.

my netrunner build is pretty simple. prioritize getting the perks that let you craft higher-tier quickhacks; they get way stronger and you can also sell the extras. you get quickhack crafting materials by hacking access points, so you'll also want to get both levels of the Advanced Datamine perk as well as Datamine Virtuoso under Breach Protocol (it's governed by Intelligence same as Quickhacking is). beyond that, take the obvious Quickhacking perks: increased damage, more duration, reduced cost, etc etc. skip anything that affects Spread; it only matters to Contagion and Contagion sucks.

Breach Protocol is pretty useful for stealth; you can breach any enemy in the area and it will affect all of them, in most cases. it gives you a lot of options to soften enemies up before you start taking them down, and it also shuts down cameras and turrets if you pick the right perks.

my V is currently (and has been for a long time) using the iconic Netwatch NetDriver Mk.V cyberdeck. my quickhack loadout is as follows:

* Weapon Glitch - i don't usually use this one, it's unnecessary, but the legendary version has a passive that lets me shut down all enemy weapons when i breach, and that's pretty useful
* Overheat - non-lethal fire damage over time, my cyberdeck makes it a small AoE
* Short Circuit - non-lethal shock damage, hits extremely hard and has a small DoT, cyberdeck makes it a small AoE
* Ping - reveals enemy locations, a must-have even if you're not a runner imo. legendary version lets you hack cameras and turrets through walls
* System Reset - one-hit KOs one enemy. mostly there for something to use while Short Circuit and Overheat cool down
* Reboot Optics - similar to Weapon Glitch, has a passive that blinds any breached enemy that sees me, but the hack itself isn't that useful

im level 43, but only a little ways into the story because ive been going around doing all the side missions. that's just how i play open world games. i got the NetDriver super early, i prioritized it, and it's carried me through the whole game.

King Vidiot posted:

Awesome thanks for both of these! Gives me something to play with!

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Mikojan posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/3010 the full gameplay rebalance mod is something you should seriously consider.

As Hammerstein pointed out, what you think about the characters and story can hit hard or fall flat. It depends. I loved that poo poo.

I don't see the gameplay systems being fixed beyond obvious bugs. So do the mod thing, have at it and have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mikojan posted:

Yes.

Even if there was a reasonable chance of this happening, it would still be a bad idea. There are two data points for released games getting full overhauls to suddenly deliver on their promises: Final Fantasy 14 and No Man's Sky. Those are very long odds. And that isn't even taking into account the differences in culture around the developers and publishers in question.

I zeroed out my expectations over the past year and picked the game up at 50% off during the sale. I'm enjoying it. Coming off Yakuza 0, I can't help but compare the two. People go on about how great the city feels, but I'm not really catching it. It certainly LOOKS impressive, but the ramshackle way it is populated is constantly distracting. Yakuza of course reuses NPCs and the like, but it was never as distracting as CP2077 is. Kamurocho and Sotenbori feel alive in a way Night City doesn't. Even looking at the NPCs themselves, the filler NPCs feel out of place against how crisp the city itself looks. I can't explain why I feel like it's a problem in 2077 and not Yakuza though.

Of course, that's really my main criticism right now. I enjoy the gameplay well enough, and the fact that on a lark I tried to shoot a grenade out of the air with a revolver and got an achievement for it was uniquely satisfying. CP2077, to me, feels like an aggressively average game. It's entertaining enough that I don't think I wasted my money.