Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Obituary: Ottawa songwriting legend Les Emmerson was still working on new music when hospitalized with COVID-19

quote:

Emmerson died in hospital Dec. 10 of complications to underlying health issues caused by the virus. He was fully vaccinated.

That anthemic hit single he’s best known for is Signs, inspired during the long drive from Ottawa to Los Angeles with Emmerson’s band, the Five Man Electrical Band (formerly the Staccatos).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bearinabox posted:

The chances of dying with a booster are what, less than 0.1%? I dunno the stats but it must be incredibly small.

Add quite a few more zeroes there, I think - 0.1% of the boosted UK population would be 25,000 people, we'd *probably* notice that many bodies.

e: Oh wait do you mean your chance of dying if you catch it when boosted, not your chance of death from the booster? Still probably add a zero or two in there, I think the IFR for unvaccinated people is around 0.1% (although obviously that scales way the gently caress up with age and comorbidities).

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Buying a good silicone half face respirator with a P100 / P3 R filter is the best thing I have done for my mental health since this pandemic begun

No more panic attacks in crowded grocery stores!

Highly recommended

Thinking about getting a full face respirator soon

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Obviously availability varies by location but during the early stages of the pandemic my household transitioned to exclusively doing curbside pickup for groceries and man I don’t think I’ll ever go back.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got my pfizer booster and flu shot last weekend and nothing on the flu arm, not even soreness. My booster arm was barely sore. Happy times.

The malls around town have been pretty busy and are open at normal hours again and one is even expanding quite a bit. It's good to see life getting back on track. All our hospitals are full of unvaxed tho. Most non-critical surgeries have been canceled. I lucked out and had a major reversal surgery (But non-critical) done before this current wave or whatever.

Edit:

Looks like insurance is beginning to do the same thing they're doing for smokers. Kroger's health insurance requires unvaccinated employees pay a $50/mo fee until they're vaccinated. Delta airlines has been doing this already, I guess, but it's $200/mo if you're unvaxxed.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 15, 2021

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
The NFL has 75 players in the past 2 days. It's only Tuesday. The Nets had like 7 players available tonight, and Harden got put in protocol mid-game, so now Toronto players will end up in protocols. The NHL was having a virtual meeting this evening. I will not be surprised if all three leagues are postponed until the new year. The NFL has some freedom that it doesn't have to deal with Canadian governments. I assume most of the vaccinated players are not opposed to boosters but the NFLPA is still negotiating that.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

How are u posted:

Totally agreed. It's worth the tiny risk, to me, at this point.

Same here. I went cross country to visit family last week for the holidays. Everyone is triple shot except my idiot sibling who somehow went from COVID paranoid (ie sanitizing mail, etc) to an antivaxxer over the past year. Was worth the small risk to see them, the spouse and I got tested when we got home (both neg).

Of course on the way there there was a chud in the airport refusing to wear a mask, wearing a Let's Go Brandon t-shirt and coughing like hell.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cretin90 posted:

Obviously availability varies by location but during the early stages of the pandemic my household transitioned to exclusively doing curbside pickup for groceries and man I don’t think I’ll ever go back.

Must be nice to have a store that doesn't pick the produce from the men's room floor for curbside orders

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The grocery store by me is the worst for curbside pickup. Every time I've shown up on time for my 15 minute window and waited over an hour.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
We did curbside pickup for a while, but yeah, I don't think I've had the order completely correct once. We'll probably go back for a bit with Omicron, but I'm not looking forward to it.

I already plan meals pretty heavily, so I'm rarely actually browsing in the grocery store, but when something isn't available / looks bad, it's nice to actually look at alternatives instead of having to come up with something on the spot for an impatient 18 year old on the phone (or have them pick or just get it wrong and get something completely insane as a replacement, like a shoulder roast replacing pork chops)

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Inept posted:

in a month everyone in the uk will get covid 6 times a day

That's the plot of hit film 28 Days Later actually.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Bearinabox posted:

If you are all boosted wtf would you not spend time together. Seems paranoid considering your chances of ending up in the ICU are incredibly small.

I'm not worried about dying, I'm worried about unknown rates of organ damage in "mild" cases. When that unknown is a little more known, I'll recalibrate.

There are other consequences than just dying/ICU. I'd rather let others test them out for me.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 15, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

enki42 posted:

(or have them pick or just get it wrong and get something completely insane as a replacement, like a shoulder roast replacing pork chops)

i had somebody replace 2 packs of chopsticks with 2 100-packs of skewers a couple weeks ago

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah poo poo, I didn't even consider this:
https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1470845730239795203
Early indications are that most monoclonal antibody treatments don't do poo poo for omicron

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I'm glad you mentioned Australia though, because we have more or less opened now and our cases are holding fairly steady at 1500-2000 a day for the last couple months. Omicron will likely increase that number a lot but while there's an obvious increase in transmission rate there's no indication yet that it results in higher hospitalisations, which is what you have to focus on once you have a highly vaccinated population (90% fully vaccinated). Flying from one state to another in Australia at this stage, following all the appropriate mask, vaccination, testing and isolation requirements is not some selfish act.

NSW's cases are surging pretty dramatically right now:

Hospitalizations/deaths lag behind cases so we'll have to wait a bit to see how they shake out but they're obviously going to increase somewhat

Cretin90 posted:

Yeah my local supermarket chain does delivery to my door at a time of my choosing for only $10 and their selection/substitution record is almost perfect so far. Going to the supermarket, walking up and down the aisles finding my stuff, standing in line and then hauling my shopping back home wasn't a monstrously arduous task but I'll happily pay $10 to avoid having to do it, this is great.

Inept posted:

Good, they deserve it. :colbert:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Inept posted:

rubbing my hands together in glee at the thought of how thick with antibodies my blood will be

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

rubbing my hands together in glee at the thought of how thick with antibodies my blood will be

I donated blood today:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Its ok to orgy again New Zealand.

https://twitter.com/callioperyder/status/1469094856261730305

https://www.ladbible.com/news/latest-pm-jacinda-ardern-confirms-orgies-of-25-people-are-good-to-go-in-nz-20211213

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Currently at the airport and there are way more people unmasked than I thought. Like, saw a dude eat a booger.

Good to know the government is recommending masks again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1470814575998251009

This feels like extremely dangerous clickbait bullshit but I'd be interested to know if there's any actual reputable sources about differences in symptoms of mild Omicron compared to Delta. I remember folk wisdom had it that Delta had more URT symptoms (runny nose, sneezing, sore throat) than OG and less coughing and loss of smell/taste, but I don't think I ever saw that actually properly quantified either.

(It also makes me extremely suspicious of the "head cold" that ripped through the UK in October/November - I definitely had night sweats and fatigue to a much greater extent than I normally associate with a cold, but I also passed multiple LFTs)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Delta symptoms were mostly just half again as common across the board, with “loss of taste or smell” being the one that stands out as significantly more likely to be Delta.

source is the state of Washington

Note that this is among people reporting at least one symptom, so the higher numbers don’t mean a smaller proportion of asymptomatic cases. They mean that when people do have symptoms, they’re more likely to experience multiple symptoms.

The screenshot is from an edition of several weeks ago, but the trends hold. There’s no data on Omicron yet.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Alan Smithee posted:

yo what happened with your dumb BIL or whatever

He has to use a CPAP machine now at night, plus he's got diabetes. He still claims that covid had nothing to do with any of that, and that he was already pre-diabetic before he got sick and the CPAP machine is just to help him get better sleep.

Still says covid isn't a big deal, still has a Trump sign front and center in front of his house, still refuses to wear a mask at work or get vaccinated. Also recently told his wife that I am "arrogant" about being vaccinated since I still wear a mask in public indoor settings. So he has some kind of brain damage, too, I think.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

A Fancy Hat posted:

He has to use a CPAP machine now at night, plus he's got diabetes. He still claims that covid had nothing to do with any of that, and that he was already pre-diabetic before he got sick and the CPAP machine is just to help him get better sleep.

Still says covid isn't a big deal, still has a Trump sign front and center in front of his house, still refuses to wear a mask at work or get vaccinated. Also recently told his wife that I am "arrogant" about being vaccinated since I still wear a mask in public indoor settings. So he has some kind of brain damage, too, I think.

Can you be sure the brain damage wasn't pre-existing?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

So basically at this point if you ever feel crappy in any way it could be some kinda covid

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It was always that way

Makes allergies pretty tense and corporate demands to stay home unpaid if you have a headache pretty silly

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Tiny Timbs posted:

It was always that way

it's a golden age for us neurotics

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

prom candy posted:

So basically at this point if you ever feel crappy in any way it could be some kinda covid

that's why covid has been as insidious as it is for... drat are we really entering the third year of this poo poo?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

MrQwerty posted:

that's why covid has been as insidious as it is for... drat are we really entering the third year of this poo poo?

2020's: The Decade the Earth Stood Still

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MrQwerty posted:

2021 was already the 3rd year of COVID19 ;)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Every day there's yet more doom and gloom predicted about omicron in the UK but I'm not generally seeing the rest of the world panicking is it just the UK being earth's super special boy as usual, or is everyone as screwed as we (apparently) are?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've been sick a few times in the past year or two but I don't think it was ever covid because my roommates never caught whatever I had. But we're all vaccinated so who the hell knows. It is stressful every time wondering if it's covid or just a normal cold.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Marmaduke! posted:

Every day there's yet more doom and gloom predicted about omicron in the UK but I'm not generally seeing the rest of the world panicking is it just the UK being earth's super special boy as usual, or is everyone as screwed as we (apparently) are?
Everyone is just as screwed but apparently your politicians have the will to do say something about it?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ginette Reno posted:

I've been sick a few times in the past year or two but I don't think it was ever covid because my roommates never caught whatever I had. But we're all vaccinated so who the hell knows. It is stressful every time wondering if it's covid or just a normal cold.

I have gotten tested 8 times since this started, 4 face-to-face exposures at work and 4 precautionary tests based on contacts, have never tested positive. I have never gotten sick at all outside of my covid and flu vaccination shots in that time period.

I also used to work in an aseptic cleanroom and COVID precautions at work brought out some real concerning PTSD regarding my adherence to cleanroom protocols post-12-hours-filling-vials-with-chemo-drugs nights, but evidently it's done me good so far.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love wearing masks and hope it's socially acceptable forever because it really helps when it's super cold outside. I also haven't been sick with anything since February 2020. No sniffles, flu, fever, nothing.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Marmaduke! posted:

Everyone is screwed but the forces of capital want everyone to keep working and many (majority in chud areas) people are either uninterested or incapable of making the sustained effort to minimize risk for themselves or others, so they insist Omicron will be mild or that Covid will attenuate or some other happy fiction despite all evidence to the contrary.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Marmaduke! posted:

Everyone else's time will come soon enough, the UK is basically the bellwether for what's going to happen to them with omicron, so the world is watching with keen interest to see how badly we gently caress everything up

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1470814575998251009

This feels like extremely dangerous clickbait bullshit but I'd be interested to know if there's any actual reputable sources about differences in symptoms of mild Omicron compared to Delta. I remember folk wisdom had it that Delta had more URT symptoms (runny nose, sneezing, sore throat) than OG and less coughing and loss of smell/taste, but I don't think I ever saw that actually properly quantified either.

(It also makes me extremely suspicious of the "head cold" that ripped through the UK in October/November - I definitely had night sweats and fatigue to a much greater extent than I normally associate with a cold, but I also passed multiple LFTs)

This matches with what has been reported out of South Africa. If you’ve been fully vaxxed and boosted, those symptoms are likely what you can expect from a breakthrough case - not super severe. If you haven’t - time will tell but probably worse.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1471088942543949829

Twitter thread about why Omicron is able to transmit *so much* faster than Delta - it infects the bronchus (the branch between the lungs) much more readily than Delta can infect any tissue, at the expense of not being able to infect other lung tissue as readily as Delta and other variants. This means it reaches concentrations where it can spread much earlier than Delta (note that both eventually reach the same concentration after 48 hours but Omicron is 70x ahead of Delta at 24 hours).

Now obviously this is all in vitro so not guaranteed to be accurate, but if it is accurate it *might* be good news as anything that reduces the amount of lung damage is a good thing for survival rates - the bronchus is still fragile but much less-so than the actual alveoli. It *might* also mean that less of the virus can get into the bloodstream and gently caress poo poo up in the rest of the body for the same reason. We also know from other lung diseases that the immune system can mount a much more robust response to bronchial infections than to infections deeper into the lungs. Unanswered is whether this is bad news for people with pre-existing damage to or conditions effecting the bronchial system, especially asthmatics and of course most importantly whether whatever lower amounts of damage it cause are outstripped by that much faster rate of spread - no point breathing a sigh of relief that it's only half as deadly if it spreads 4 times quicker and every health system in the world collapses under the weight.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

I love wearing masks and hope it's socially acceptable forever because it really helps when it's super cold outside. I also haven't been sick with anything since February 2020. No sniffles, flu, fever, nothing.

My (much derided) cloth mask, with the PM2.5 filter in, basically eliminated my hay fever over last summer (as long as I remembered to change the filter every day and wash the mask itself regularly - I ended up just buying a 10-pack and wearing a fresh one every day).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

I have gotten tested 8 times since this started, 4 face-to-face exposures at work and 4 precautionary tests based on contacts, have never tested positive. I have never gotten sick at all outside of my covid and flu vaccination shots in that time period.

I also used to work in an aseptic cleanroom and COVID precautions at work brought out some real concerning PTSD regarding my adherence to cleanroom protocols post-12-hours-filling-vials-with-chemo-drugs nights, but evidently it's done me good so far.

It feels inevitable that we will all get this at some point, no matter how careful we are. I do really wonder if I've had it since I've been sick a few times but there's no way to know since I didn't get tested any of those times as none of them felt more than mild and I didn't have any of the infamous symptoms like loss of smell etc. Just normal cold poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ginette Reno posted:

I've been sick a few times in the past year or two but I don't think it was ever covid because my roommates never caught whatever I had.

My friend had a mild case in 2020 before anyone was vaccinated and even his live-in girlfriend didn't catch it.