Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm on a TCL 20 pro 5g, currently on Android 11, and I'm using the Awful beta version 3.8.7. I don't know if my keyboard matters but it's SwiftKey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm apparently on Android 10 so maybe they just took it away with the newest versions

The Bing button will be added soon

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Bloop posted:

I'm apparently on Android 10 so maybe they just took it away with the newest versions

The Bing button will be added soon

wait holy poo poo YOU make this app?

Sorry i forget on a forum with thousands of users the same like 100 post regularly.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Wasabi the J posted:

Sorry i forget on a forum with thousands of users the same like 100 post regularly.

lol

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
App updated to 3.8.7 overnight and the web search button is now gone for me, so whatever it is seems to be from the new app version.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

I do not

The OP of this thread does

The Bing thing was just a joke, a jest, a jape

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I am on 3.8.7 + Android 10 and still have the web search button :iiam:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Gadzuko posted:

App updated to 3.8.7 overnight and the web search button is now gone for me, so whatever it is seems to be from the new app version.

I just went to 3.8.7 last night and it's still there. Android 10, Blu View 2.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Ok, I just checked what else updated and I did get a WebView update to version 96.0.4664.45 last night. So maybe that's the culprit? Still on Android 11.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I have Awful v3.8.7 and WebView v96.0.4664.45 on my phone, running Android 11, and no Web Search option.

I have Awful v.3.8.3 and WebView v96.0.4664.45 on my tablet, running Android 8, and I have the Web Search option.

After upgrading Awful on my tablet to v3.8.7, I still have it.

I'd say Android 11 is to blame.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm on Android 10, just updated webview and the app, and the option still shows up for me fwiw.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
I use the app a lot. Thanks for the hard work put into it.

I'm one of the weirdos who actually likes light and dark mode equally. Is there or will there be a way for the app to follow device settings for auto light and dark mode?

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I've lost my web search function. Pixel 4a, Android 11, Awful 3.8.7.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Also lost the web search functionality, Galaxy tab A, Android 11, app 3.8.7

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Regarding the missing search option, the most obvious offender is probably the targeted android Version. This was increased from 10 to 12 in the update. Since android 11 users are affected as well I'm guessing something in that version is causing this. A glance over the changes did not enlighten me as to what exactly caused it.

It can not exactly be changed back as the app now uses functionality that relies on it. Not that it would matter anyway as version 11 is required by the play store since November.

If anyone can find out wtf, please let me know. Or even better, create a pull-request that fixes the issue :v:

In the meantime, what "works" for me is pulling up the task switcher and selecting the text there. That selection has a search option.

Regretful Humming posted:

I use the app a lot. Thanks for the hard work put into it.

I'm one of the weirdos who actually likes light and dark mode equally. Is there or will there be a way for the app to follow device settings for auto light and dark mode?

The code of the app related to themes is rather old and convoluted. I'm not saying it's impossible but I wouldn't count on it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm on 3.8.7 on Android 11, Galaxy S20+, and still have the web search option. I don't know if that helps or just makes things more confusing.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks for making the app OP, I've been using it for years but now i want to make a poo poo thread without dragging out my 20 year old laptop, is that a feature on the horizon?

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Just tried a search using filters like 'before year' and 'in subforum', but doesnt affect the results at all.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

LookieLoo posted:

Thanks for making the app OP, I've been using it for years but now i want to make a poo poo thread without dragging out my 20 year old laptop, is that a feature on the horizon?

Same.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Posting a thread is not on the radar for the folks developing the app. You could do it yourself if you really want to, though.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Wrong thread.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Is it just me or are tweets not embedding anymore?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just you. And every time it happens, it's Twitter's fault. Usually resolves in a few hours.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Just you. And every time it happens, it's Twitter's fault. Usually resolves in a few hours.

Thanks, restarted my phone and it fixed it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Friend posted:

Thanks, restarted my phone and it fixed it.

When my wife (my wife!) has phone problems and gets just a bit defensive when I ask when the last time she restarted her phone before she tries to hand it to me.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Since TikTok embeds are a thing on SA now, is there any chance of getting those in Awful? Currently they just show as a link that then wants to open in the TikTok app.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I vote for a function in the app that automatically hides posts with tiktok links in them.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Carbon dioxide posted:

I vote for a function in the app that automatically hides posts with tiktok links in them.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I, too, have become an old man who yells at cloud

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

I vote for a function in the app that automatically hides posts.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I, too, have become an old man who yells at cloud

that's bizarre, it looks like there's supposed to be something underneath your post.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Got a phone with Android 11, and yep, no web search. :geno:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'm a dumb android 12 user who this morning fat fingered my "choose how to share twitter link" to select Always in embedded Twitter and now I can't figure out how to undo that, to allow me to choose again my sharing destination.

Ideas?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Cheesus posted:

I'm a dumb android 12 user who this morning fat fingered my "choose how to share twitter link" to select Always in embedded Twitter and now I can't figure out how to undo that, to allow me to choose again my sharing destination.

Ideas?

This isn't an exact answer to your question, but it may help you find the thing you're looking for? https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/edit-clean-androids-share-menu-root-required/ If it's not there, it may be an option under the app specific settings in the apps screen.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
That didn't directly help, but it did force me to be more creative.

I fat-fingered "always send to Facebook" from embedded twitter in posts. Twitter didn't have an option but under System, Apps, Facebook, Open By Default, there was an option to "clear default preferences" that did it.

Thanks!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
Suggestion: The smiley search should return an exact match as the first result.

E.g. if you search vince :vince: should be the first result, if you search ok :ok: should be the first result

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Thanks for keeping :frog:'s shots up to date

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I'm trying to export my settings and I keep getting a "failed to export" message each time. I'm on version 3.8.8 of the app. This is happening on my Pixel 3 (android 12) and galaxy tab S6 lite (android 11)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ah, dang-it. I had this as solved in my head because someone already took a shot at that but that unfortunately never came to be.

I'll take a another look at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami
What does the shot do