Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

The ship you take to the final zone is also called Ragnarok.

Yeah but my mistake was about the ship crashed on the moon, which is the same color as FF8's Ragnarok.

edit: God the game also has an axe called Ragnarok. There's too many Ragnaroks.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hogama posted:

It's entirely in keeping with established themes - are you really mad at the sheer atrocity of the act or simply because you disapprove of the reason behind it? Are your priorities concerned with the plight of the suffering or just making sure it's for an appropriate profit?

It's a great moment and reminds people that Zenos is not some random meathead violencing his way through things. He's intelligent. He's educated. He has a brilliant strategic mind. He knows exactly what he is doing and what he has done. He simply does not care about anyone or anything besides the elevation of his Hunt. It's the only thing in this world that gives him any pleasure or enjoyment.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hogama posted:

It's entirely in keeping with established themes - are you really mad at the sheer atrocity of the act or simply because you disapprove of the reason behind it? Are your priorities concerned with the plight of the suffering or just making sure it's for an appropriate profit?

What I like about this scene in particular is that the argument Zenos delivers is entirely correct - that meaning is self-made, and that there's no universal moral authority we can turn to for reassurance - but the counterpunch Alisaie gives is equally correct: that individual people, as fundamentally social creatures, still have to develop meaning in relation to eachother. There's a bad writing habit I've seen occasionally in high concept anime where the villain will deliver some uncomfortable philosophical truth and then leave everyone in the room stunned and gawping, so it was a pleasant surprise to see the basic setup being turned on its head.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 15, 2021

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Vermain posted:

There's a bad writing habit I've seen occasionally in high concept anime where the villain will deliver some uncomfortable philosophical truth and then leave everyone in the room stunned and gawping, so it was a pleasant surprise to see the basic setup being turned on its head.

The payoff in that scene is that Alisaie's counterpunch on him CONNECTED. Her response actually made him go, 'Wait, poo poo.'

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 15, 2021

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Also it's worth noting the fact that the rebuttal comes from Alisae in particular. This whole situation is hitting her harder than anyone else on our team, emotionally speaking, and yet she manages to actually make a real case beyond a simple "that's bullshit" as might be expected.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Ultima Thule should be instrumental.

I was disappointed by the Zodiark/Hydaelyn trial themes, mainly Zodiark's. Hydaeylyn is just a battley answers (though what else could it have been), and I wouldn't be surprised if you told me Zodiark's isn't new- it's just the one i can't remember and Maker's Ruin, was pretty generic. Only thing that makes it alright is Fandaniel shouting in the background.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Quotey posted:

I was disappointed by the Zodiark/Hydaelyn trial themes, mainly Zodiark's

Just absolutely insane to me. Zodiark's theme is like top 3 for me this expansion

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That Zenos scene is one of my favorites of the entire expac because it leaves you dumbstruck that Zenos managed to say something genuinely cutting and insightful, while at the same time both abhorrent and a little... catty?

And then he still gets countered by Alisaie's equally insightful rebuttal, and he is left quietly shaken by the exchange.

The entire thing was some very strong character work that raised my estimation of Zenos as an interesting antagonist, and later led to some genuine character development on his part.

Runa fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 15, 2021

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Xarbala posted:

The entire thing was some very strong character work that raised my estimation of Zenos as an interesting antagonist, and later led to some genuine character development on his part.

Ishikawa did it.

She made me feel bad that Zenos is probably gone.

But also left open the possibility that, at any time, Worm's Tail may start up without any goddamn warning. And everyone will lose their minds.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Saw this brought up in a Discord, but man the Tank role quests don't really seem to deal with underlying issues like the Ranged DPS and Healer ones did. It's entirely the Elementals' fault for stripping the kid of his horns and causing him despair, but they completely gloss over that.

I really hope that's one of the loose ends tied up in either the 6.x storylines or maybe in a future expansion.

Also let Ken-E become a freespirited adventurer like she dreamed of instead of being forced into a life of servitude.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It would be cool if they finally addressed the elemental problem in Gridania, it's one of the last remaining loose ends. Now that we've defeated Crystal Mom, surely we could take on some angry trees.

I also still want to see more of Gelmorra, but that's probably not gonna happen....

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Lord_Magmar posted:

Agreed, it’s something I fondly remember from WoW, even if it wasn’t actually as prevalent as it is in my mind. WoW often had small comments or mentions of your character’s chosen race, Mists had an entire questline about the history of various Horde races for example that even got updates for races that were added after Mists.

It’s be a lot to ask, but even a small recognition of the Beastman thing for Hrothgar would be neat. Or the Au Ra thing in Ishgard or Yugiri hiding it when you can be right there in the open.

One of the things I noticed playing Endwalker is they actually had way more male Viera than I expected given their supposed scarcity, but I realised their long lives mean that even with that scarcity, all of them look the same age but we have no idea when they left the forest or were born. Erenville could be older than everyone on Old Sharlayan and we would not be able to tell.

This is pages and pages ago but reminds me of the weirdness of my experience playing a xaela au ra from ARR to Shadowbringers. Yugiri is hiding and I'm right there. Samurai guy whose name I can't remember, at the Azim Steppe, says in one of the optional side dialogues "this culture is weird to me, but I guess you and I will just have to learn about it together!" and I'm just like...dude, I'm from here. Absolutely no weird looks at Ishgard even though there's a sidequest about au ra fleeing Garlemald and being persecuted by Ishgardians for looking sort of like dragons.

I don't think it needs to be something that's obnoxiously out-and-out and sequestered like WoW does; part of what I love about FF14 is that there's an inherently accepted diversity most anywhere you go, and by the end of Endwalker that even extends to the subjugated beast tribes. But it would've been more immersive in those earlier points of contention and hardship if my identity was called out a little more.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think part of that is that they don't want to fix where the character is from. You may be a xaela, but not all xaela are from the Azim Steppes, or part of a tribe. There's a desire on their part to avoid giving too much detail for the WoL so as to impede roleplaying with them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zomborgon posted:

Also it's worth noting the fact that the rebuttal comes from Alisae in particular. This whole situation is hitting her harder than anyone else on our team, emotionally speaking, and yet she manages to actually make a real case beyond a simple "that's bullshit" as might be expected.

It's such a great character moment. I think Alisaie might be the only person in the entire world who could've seen the sole crack in Zenos' armor, because she grew up with a grandstanding blowhard of a brother who practiced that exact same wiser-than-thou sophistry, and she sees straight through it for what it is.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Begemot posted:

It would be cool if they finally addressed the elemental problem in Gridania, it's one of the last remaining loose ends. Now that we've defeated Crystal Mom, surely we could take on some angry trees.

I also still want to see more of Gelmorra, but that's probably not gonna happen....

EW Trial series should be us punching the elementals.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

close in the distance rocks. if you dislike it I disagree with you but that's about it.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Quotey posted:

Ultima Thule should be instrumental.

I was disappointed by the Zodiark/Hydaelyn trial themes, mainly Zodiark's. Hydaeylyn is just a battley answers (though what else could it have been), and I wouldn't be surprised if you told me Zodiark's isn't new- it's just the one i can't remember and Maker's Ruin, was pretty generic. Only thing that makes it alright is Fandaniel shouting in the background.

Zodiark's theme is keeping 100% in pattern for what is normally "expansion end boss" battle theme, a dramatic orchestral and choral remix of the primary expansion themes in general. Thordan has a remix of the Ishgard theme, Shinryu remixes the Stormblood theme, Hades remixes Tomorrow and Tomorrow. I took this as just another method by which they are throwing the player off balance - "we're fighting Zodiark at 83? Isn't he built up to be the final boss of the whole game?? Isn't this final boss music???"

Also it owns, sorry, it owns really hard. The EW theme is great and the odds that Final Fantasy XIV wasn't going to have a dramatic rework of that theme was 0% without qualification, and it's just as awesome as all the other times they did it.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Soken and the rest of the crew are extremely good at playing with musical themes. The way that Flow sneaks in and just stabs you right in the heart when you aren't expecting it is a master class.

'Oh no, I'm getting a tutorial on Hydelain's boss mechanics...'

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Argas posted:

ngl it's hilarious how many streamers I watch approach EW fresh(esh) from ShB and expect Hydaelyn to be bad. Like, not merely made some Choices but outright bad person all along manipulating you and poo poo. We've all just had like a decade plus of really grim and dark storylines and even ARR/HW kind of ran afoul of playing with that sharp edge.

A tad late, but I'm generally of a mind that this approach wasn't a consequence of the game writing itself, but more genre convention.

At this point in JRPGs, we don't see gods as setting elements, benevolent forces, or even characters; we see them as targets for us to hit. It was never a question of if we would fight Hydaelyn for many people, it was a question of why.

Then Shadowbringers rolls around, and gives us a dramatic sadboy to say bad things about her. His trustworthiness doesn't matter, the fact nothing he says about her is even necessarily bad doesn't matter, what matters is he's now given context: that to so many people, Hydaelyn is now evil, and so the 'why' of the inevitable fight is solved. We'll kill her because she is evil, and she's evil because this dramatic outright villain says she is.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I like that you mostly play the expansion you were expecting to play up to level 83. It sorta frames the post-Zodiark content as the x.1-x.3 content of the entire game, if that makes sense?

Even the launch trailer, where each previous one sneaks the final boss theme in somewhere, plays the Zodiark song. It's cool, it's great.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish the big ball of goop in the final zone exploded after you beat the MSQ and you could see all the Elpis flowers or something from within its remains. It's such an eyesore!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the birde sacc

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wish the big ball of goop in the final zone exploded after you beat the MSQ and you could see all the Elpis flowers or something from within its remains. It's such an eyesore!

I was hoping that her entire nest would have exploded/fell apart, revealing a light behind it that would light up the whole zone. I like the place, but it gets a bit too dark at times!!

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Vitamean posted:

the birde sacc

Soul is stored in the ball

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Macaluso posted:

Actually it rules and it fits the moment perfectly.

I do wish the zone music changed back to at least an instrumental version of it though

agreed 100%

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

just unlocked the tower of Babil dungeon

Man, that duty in the Garlean soldier's body was tough!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Terper posted:

I was hoping that her entire nest would have exploded/fell apart, revealing a light behind it that would light up the whole zone. I like the place, but it gets a bit too dark at times!!

I'd be fine with losing the egg/nest, but changing the visual nature of the zone overall would have pissed me off way more than the changed music. It's gorgeous.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I hope when we get to the Hildibrand quests, we find out he somehow ended up in Ultima Thule. Or maybe Elpis, whichever would be funnier.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

just unlocked the tower of Babil dungeon

Man, that duty in the Garlean soldier's body was tough!

Oh gently caress you gotta get outta this thread use your boosters dive dive dive!

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I hope when we get to the Hildibrand quests, we find out he somehow ended up in Ultima Thule. Or maybe Elpis, whichever would be funnier.

If he ended up in Elpis and spent the whole chain minion-sized.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Argos' mount menu mouseover text is credited to Nashu

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Xarbala posted:

Oh gently caress you gotta get outta this thread use your boosters dive dive dive!

it's fine, I just look at posts that relate to mine.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Eimi posted:

I don't know what else they wanted me to feel then, because that zone just didn't resonate with me. All it made me think of the infinitely better ShB end sequence. With lines that were tailor made to the circumstance, "Take it, we fight as one" doesn't land as hard out of context. Also us being weak and having trouble walking was established beforehand, with us having difficulty dealing with the warder's light. So we aren't just marching slow for no reason.

:psyboom:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Close In The Distance posted:

Whispers, falling silently, drift on the wind
But I hear you
Our journey, now a memory fading from sight
But I see you

Unbroken, promises we made so long ago
You're still here
Unspoken requiem for the river of tears

Flowing, winding, to an eternal sea
And yet our hope remains
Guiding, lighting the way
No time for mourning

Rises on a land reborn from the ashes
With the heavens' true sunset
Blood-red skies tranquil after the storm
Blessed shadow

Turning, wеnding, always night follows day
The sun will shine again
Walk on, nevеr look back
Through you, we live

Tales of loss and fire and faith
Every word on our hearts engraved
In the dark you will not stray
Forge ahead, till the end, we pray

man, real goddamn mystery what emotion is being expressed here!!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rhonne posted:

Hildabrand ending up in Elpis is such an amazing idea I'm now going to be extremely disappointed if that doesn't end up being the case.

Bonus points Emet-Selch has to interact with him

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Fun fact, he can sometimes appear in the heroes gauntlet

https://twitter.com/woawmagusdesu/status/1293616159594434560

I'm sure that will continue to go unaddressed :thunk: but I don't think its out of the question for him to appear in Elpis. That would be pretty delightful :allears:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
At some point the Warrior of Light is going to realize that they can literally summon Hildibrand home using the Azem stone's magic, and feel embarrassed (rightfully so).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Augus posted:

Brain like a dry sponge

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Augus posted:

Well maybe they shouldn't have structured the scions not deaths like teary farewells, because that's the emotion all their writing primed me to feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

At some point the Warrior of Light is going to realize that they can literally summon Hildibrand home using the Azem stone's magic, and feel embarrassed (rightfully so).

Clearly The Gentleman of Light will find his own, equally powerful stone of his own ancient counterpart. :colbert:

.........actually I really do hope Azem also had a Hildibrand showing up to make life harder.