Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"I think she is holding on to grudgets"

They're just little tiny grudges. Not like, full sized ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Dude thinks his wife would lie about how she lost her wedding jewelry and doesn't trust a single judgment she makes. Why the gently caress is he married to her if he thinks that poo poo about her? He doesn't sound like he likes her, much less loves her, he sounds like she's a particularly unruly child that he hates but has to care for.

(he is obviously a shitter, I just can't even figure this out from his shitter POV)

Some people want a partner they have to manage/control because it makes them feel validated.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for driving my girlfriend’s sports car to meet an investor?

If you didn't think of this early enough to arrange beforehand you're poo poo at sales. If you thought anyone was going to believe you didn't plan this beforehand and "thought of it last minute" to avoid being told no, you greatly overestimate your ability to mislead people and are therefore still poo poo at sales.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

Some people want a partner they have to manage/control because it makes them feel validated.

I guess that's it. It sounds miserable to me.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
My (22m) brother (16m) stole my gf's (23f) nudes out of my phone while he was using it

This happened a few weeks ago when I was dropping my brother off to his friends. His phone was dying so he asked to use mine to text his friend when we were close and to play music. My gf was riding in the passenger seat and he was in the backseat so I couldn't really see what he was doing. After that day my gf started getting harassed by these accounts that kept popping up even after she blocked them. This has been going on for weeks but now I'm sure it was my brother because last night one of the accounts sent her a pic of one of her nudes.

My gf thought it was me or that I sent her nudes to my friends. She called me freaking out and sent the screenshots. I was confused and tried calming her down but she didn't stop accusing me cuz she said she didn't send the nudes to anyone else. It was a recent pic too so it wasn't an ex. I put two and two together and I think my brother sent the nudes to his phone, while he was using mine, and deleted the text evidence. No one else used my phone or even knows my password. When I told my gf that she just got quiet and then started crying.

I drove to my parents to confront my brother. At first I asked him about it until I could tell he was lying, so I started shouting at him and told him to unlock his phone. He was acting dumb so I took his phone and said I was leaving with it and he tried snatching it back. I told my parents the full story and that's when my dad made him unlock the phone. He started scrolling thru the pics and I told him to let me do it since I didn't want him seeing my naked gf.... I found the pic plus more but not the accounts, which makes me believe this little poo poo sent them to his friend who's now harassing my gf.

I don't trust him anymore and kinda despise him rn. I'm not sure what I can do and my gf is still upset. I want him to face consequences.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bruceski posted:

If you didn't think of this early enough to arrange beforehand you're poo poo at sales. If you thought anyone was going to believe you didn't plan this beforehand and "thought of it last minute" to avoid being told no, you greatly overestimate your ability to mislead people and are therefore still poo poo at sales.

:hmmyes:

olylifter posted:

My (22m) brother (16m) stole my gf's (23f) nudes out of my phone while he was using it

This is how I know I'm old because all I can think is "Oof ouchie this fire I played with sure does loving burn me!"

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

pentyne posted:

Are men required to be meticulously groomed, hair eyebrows beard etc, wear concealer to hide blemishes and toner to smooth out their skin complexion? No? Wow who could've guessed.

That would've been an interesting way to deal with the discrimination argument. Immediately require all male staff members to have Kpop band level grooming and watch your business double overnight.

edit: turn the bar into a Japanese host bar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1plfLIaviE

vonnegutt fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 20, 2021

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Np, I'm pretty interested in them as a group; having an example of an oppressed minority group we can't explain just lays bare how arbitrary all our outgroupings and underclassings are

IIRC the best theory is that they were the descendants of itinerant workers who settled down in southern France and had codified discrimination against them based on their names.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for arranging for my wife's parents to spend Christmas celebration with us without telling her?

This mother-in-law sounds like my aunt, who's constantly trying to weasel her way back into my mother's life and saying stuff about forgiving and forgetting, but will steal anything of value she can get her hands on if you let her in your house. Fortunately my aunt ran out of suckers who believe her bullshit.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

mind the walrus posted:

This is how I know I'm old because all I can think is "Oof ouchie this fire I played with sure does loving burn me!"

Is the fire the younger brother messing around plus his friend? Or you making this comment aimed at absolutely anyone else in the story?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

what is the fire to you and who is playing with the fire

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

OP played with fire by letting someone else use his phone. Secure your data.

Younger brother is the rear end in a top hat. Seperate to that, OP is an idiot.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

OP played with fire by letting someone else use his phone. Secure your data.

Letting someone use your phone is not playing with fire and is a very normal thing to do. If you consider that a security breech or something you are very weird.

The guys trust was significantly betrayed in a way that is impossible to predict and what the brother did was super hosed up and relationship destroying.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grape posted:

Is the fire the younger brother messing around plus his friend? Or you making this comment aimed at absolutely anyone else in the story?

sugar free jazz posted:

Oh my you guys are hungry :allears:

"Is he being sexist? Oh god I hope he's being sexist. We should passive-aggressively test him to see if he's being sexist."

Lmao gently caress the both of you.

The Lone Badger posted:

You take photos you don't want shared and put them within access of a child-- regardless of what those photos contain-- that's called "playing with fire."

If you're a digital native this is some ABC poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Story gains a certain tinge when you assume those rhyme to the speaker.

They rhyme in Australian English :negative:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

"Is he being sexist? Oh god I hope he's being sexist. We should passive-aggressively test him to see if he's being sexist."

You take photos you don't want shared and put them within access of a child-- regardless of what those photos contain-- that's called "playing with fire."

No one is trying to cancel you, you are not being persecuted or targeted.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

this is some psycho poo poo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

r/relationships: increasingly loose uses of the word "psycho"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

trickybiscuits posted:

This might have been shared already but, here it is

AITA for not wanting my mentally ill sister as my bridesmaid?

am i the rear end in a top hat? 'cuz if someone i hated called me up and said "hey i'm jumping off a bridge" i'd go "well make sure you land on your head" and hang up

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would not expect my 16 year old relative would mine my phone for nudes to distribute to his friends and then harass the nude person, generally speaking. That doesn't seem like a thing you just do when you're a kid. And I don't even like my relatives.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

Letting someone use your phone is not playing with fire and is a very normal thing to do. If you consider that a security breech or something you are very weird.

The guys trust was significantly betrayed in a way that is impossible to predict and what the brother did was super hosed up and relationship destroying.
Moral culpability is all on brother, no disagreement there.

But if someone gives you something in confidence you have a responsibility to store it securely. It'd be the same thing if his brother got into confidential work documents and used them to do insider trading. Do what you want with your own data, but treat the data of others with care.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mind the walrus posted:

What

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

mind the walrus posted:

this is the dumbest loving take on this subject. it's his fault for trusting his brother?

so dude is lucky that the brother didn't get into his venmo and transfer a shitload of money or his robinhood and short the bejesus out of Apple or something, because that would've been his fault too?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Lmao.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

uhh...

The Lone Badger posted:

Moral culpability is all on brother, no disagreement there.

But if someone gives you something in confidence you have a responsibility to store it securely. It'd be the same thing if his brother got into confidential work documents and used them to do insider trading. Do what you want with your own data, but treat the data of others with care.

Yeah, I do agree with this, I just can't find it in me to call him an idiot for not imagining his brother would ever do something that heinous. He made a mistake, but I can see how it happened to a human being with feelings and poo poo. Awful way to learn the lesson of "trust literally nobody with private data." Everybody's gotta learn it somehow, and some people don't get it taught to them in words, they just have part of their life wrecked.

Naive? I'd go with naive.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

sugar free jazz posted:

This is not normal. It's basically the same as letting someone use your toothbrush.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

As a digital native, the only people I trust are in cyberspace

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

sugar free jazz posted:

It’s absolutely playing with fire, and the fact that it’s a “very normal thing to do” doesn’t negate the fact that it is a massive security breach. There’s a ton of personal information on most phones, and every time you give somebody access to your phone you’re betting that they’re not gonna take that information and gently caress with you. This time the dude lost the bet.

And, honestly, it was partially his fault. When you have confidential information on a device you own, you don’t give other people access to that device without securing that data somehow. This is basic data security and basic commonsense measures like using a locked folder could have probably prevented the incident.

I look at it like this: If I leave my gun in an unlocked desk drawer and somebody gets it and shoots somebody, they’re responsible for the shooting but I’m still responsible for failing to secure my weapon. Same case here. The brother is responsible for being a creepy little poo poo, but the OP is responsible for failing to secure confidential information.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for confronting the bride and groom at the wedding over the seating chart, and leaving early when they refused to change it?

quote:

My FIL got married a few weeks ago, but they just returned from their honeymoon, and I've heard through the grapevine that they think i am an rear end in a top hat.

At the wedding we were put at the same table as my husband's mom, who we have not spoken to in three years. There was never a formal big no contact, she just stopped answering messages and stopped reaching out. My husband checked her social media once to make sure she was alive. She was alive and well, so we felt like fine if she wants to ignore us the relationship can just be over.

We haven't heard from her since, she hasn't met the baby, and it was sad for my husband for a little while, but he is over it. We expected her to be at the wedding but were surprised that she was seated next to us because FIL knows about the estrangement. MIL looked uncomfortable for a little while, but relaxed and was just ignoring us, but I could tell how uncomfortable my husband was.

I went up to the head table and asked FIL and the bride why we were next to MIL (I did congratulate them first) FIL looked like he was trying really hard not to smile and said to ask the bride, she did the seating chart. She said it is just normal to put people with people they know. I asked if we could be moved because she was making my husband so uncomfortable. FIL asked what she was doing and I admitted nothing, and he told us to leave him alone and stop bothering them at their wedding.

I went back to the table. At this point my husband isn't even eating because he is stressed and MIL is twisted all the way around in her chair so she doesn't have to look at us and I just snapped and told my husband that we shouldn't stay when we have been disrespected and if his dad wanted us there he wouldn't have put us at that table.

MIL's husband was like you know we can hear you assholes, but I ignored him and asked my husband if he wanted to leave. He agreed and we went, but I heard that FIL and his wife were talking bad about us to MIL after we left and saying we are selfish, and MIL said we are hypocrites because we didn't care about her happiness at our wedding (I don't know what she meant by that)

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The info sec guy has logged onto relationships

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Derek you fool, you know not what you ask. Borrow my phone? You may as well ask to borrow my gun! It is a level seven security breech that you request! To get to my galaxy s10 you must first get through my butterfly blade, villain, have at thee

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Call me old or whatever but I never got the whole “send nudes over the phone” or “save nudes of a significant other to my phone” thing. It’s not that I haven’t had the opportunity but with data links and accidents I just feel like it’s too big a risk.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know Im a weirdo but I don't share my phone and have locks on it because I don't want people to have access not for this reason in specific, but for the possibilities I can't imagine because Im not a plotting person. .

At my dads work when iPhones were new and people hadn't realized how important a lock screen was there was a person going around who was picking up peoples phones left at their desks and stealing their personal info.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

My phone is like my underwear or a toothbrush. I feel weird even when letting my GF use it despite having nothing to hide.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tarkus posted:

My phone is like my underwear or a toothbrush. I feel weird even when letting my GF use it despite having nothing to hide.

What about your post history?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

sullat posted:

That'd be even worse

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sullat posted:

No one in my RL knows my username. Even if they found SA I'd be just another anonymous white noise poster. :smug:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for confronting the bride and groom at the wedding over the seating chart, and leaving early when they refused to change it?

Getting the vibe that something big happened between husband and MIL and nobody told OP

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Antivehicular posted:

Getting the vibe that something big happened between husband and MIL and nobody told OP

if so, smart money's on it being something to do with OP, husband took his wife's side and never told his wife about it because it was abhorrent or something

----

I (22) am still angry at my mom for not teaching my about basic grooming when I was a kid

quote:

My mom is a great person and I do love her, But when I was a kid she wasn’t around much because she worked a lot (to clatrify, I was left with a babysitter).at school I was severely bullied.

While I do acknowledge I was weird and annoying ,and maybe deserved to be bullied, I don’t think this would have happened to me if I looked normal.

I smelled awful, brushed my curly hair but not my teeth, wore horrible clothes. Most of the time I try to forget about it because I do see her now and she is actually giving me attention, but I feel very bitter about it every time she makes any remarks on what I look like, where was she 12 years ago ???

I know it’s such a silly problem but it’s still effecting me- we had a huge fight over her wanting me to wear a ski coat tomorrow (going to be 55 degrees, which isn’t that cold) and I acted rather irrationally and told her she clearly wants me to look awful and be sweaty and gross. I don’t know how to move on from that and feel dumb for even caring about that. Help?

TLDR I am angry at my mom for letting me look like poo poo as a kid and looking for a way to move past this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for not wanting to do thanksgiving dinner at my parents w/o my wife? (self.AmItheAsshole)

UPDATE: AITA for not wanting to do thanksgiving dinner at my parents w/o my wife?

quote:

Many of you asked for an update for my post so here it is:

Well of course I didn’t follow along with their ridiculous request. Wasn’t about to leave my wife and child at home to have dinner with people who didn’t want my family there. It pissed me off like you can’t imagine.

We had fights prior to the dinner because I couldn’t believe my parents were fine with excluding my son from time to send with them.

It bothered me the more I thought about it. Then there went my sister calling crying that I’m a piece of poo poo for not being there for her. Honestly it was so irritating. We went back and forth, I just remember telling her to grow up and stop being a spoiled you know what. And well she didn’t call after that one.

We stayed home to have our own thanksgiving. My son kept asking where grandma and grandpa are, I wasn’t about to tell him the real reason that we weren’t going with them so we only told him they’re a little sick so we can’t go. He still wanted to talk to them. They video chatted for a while then you could hear my sister in the background. Then they were suddenly in a hurry to end the call. I’m sure she didn’t know they were talking to us.

I tried not to let that anger me too much so we could all be in a good mood. To the person who suggested a nice pajama thanksgiving dinner. Well we followed through on that and it was pretty relaxing 😊 My son decided he wanted to go all out with his dinosaur pjs.

It was a lovely time. We made a pillow fort after dinner then my son fell into a food coma so me and my wife had some alone time too. This was so much better than any dinner with my parents and someone who has no respect for my family. It really left me with a completely different view of them.

I know she really is going through something difficult and my parents are trying to help but it hurts knowing that wanted to toss my family to the side to make her happy. For that reason we won’t be spending Christmas with them either. Which has been a whole thing too but oh well they did this to themselves. We’re taking a little family vacation up to the mountains so my son can enjoy the snow.

Just to do something fun on Christmas so he doesn’t focus on the fact that we’re not spending it with his grandparents either.