Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

and machinists, incidentally, are the biggest grognards on the planet and will actively resist anything that means they might not be able to keep using their copy of autocad 1987 and stack of 5.25 floppies they got when compusa went out of business

tbf, they know what "works" for them. it's tool that does a job, as long as it does the job and they know how to work with it, they don't want to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

tbf, they know what "works" for them. it's tool that does a job, as long as it does the job and they know how to work with it, they don't want to change it.

also, would you want to use an IOT machining tool? it's not like 3D printing. if it's not broken don't fix it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i wish

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
also it's 2022, if you need a new part for your old computer poo poo it costs pennies for a replacement, rather than upgrading and the people using it know how it works more than any service tech

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eh i mean it's a mixed bag. no i would not want to use an iot machining tool. but we don't have to bring the technology up to 2021 hell world. you could just stick an ethernet port in there though, or a usb port to plug in a flash drive. good 20-30 year old technology instead of 50. that would be plenty.

and in fact, one of our more recent mills (2005) does have the option for both USB and ethernet! neither option is installed, because they were like an extra 5 grand each or something lol. also the usb one just emulates a floppy drive, so it can't load files larger than 1.44mb. but that is ultimately fine because the machine also only has 1mb of internal memory.

so are you just hosed if you have a complicated file to machine and it makes more than 1 mb of code? no, because you can drip-feed the code to it over RS-232 with XMODEM. so that's what we do. 20 foot serial cable, to an old dell that still has a hardware serial port, and i am eternally grateful to the developers of Tera Term for making a product that runs on Windows 10 and still supports drag-and-drop XMODEM file transfers. works great

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SenatorIvy posted:

Kenny what the hell does "a slice of the bottom cut off to the middle" mean in jar terms? When I think jar+slice of the bottom cut off I think of something very different than what you're talking about unfortunately.
ok assume the 2" tall 5" diameter cylinder. hold knife at 1" on the side. angle knife to hit the center point of the bottom of the cylinder. remove that

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/woodmuffin/status/1473378055674642438?s=21

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/stefcomedyjam/status/1473428827238014981?s=21

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

are dating sites full of bots now? lol that sucks

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

:3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9_Vh9h3Ohw

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Achmed Jones posted:

now?

when were they not? i mean, beyond maybe a brief few months after the first internet dating site went live

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is awesome

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Achmed Jones posted:

all the women are bots.

all the fat balding 45 year old men looking for 25 year old women are real

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when i was on okcupid in like 2008 all the people i talked to were real 🤷‍♀️

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i met my gf on okcupid and 8 years later she turned out to be a bot. we're still together

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I mostly just get ghosted and I'm going to die alone

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

man's gotta have a code

to beat code

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

when i was on okcupid in like 2008 all the people i talked to were real 🤷‍♀️

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrrADTN-dvg

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

infernal machines posted:

this is awesome

I had that exact setup except the Visor was grey.

the visor was really good for its time.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sI7WveN7vk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAmIEQb9QhM

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SmokaDustbowl posted:

also it's 2022, if you need a new part for your old computer poo poo it costs pennies for a replacement, rather than upgrading and the people using it know how it works more than any service tech

it's 2022, so all computer parts of any kind are backordered for six months

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I had that exact setup except the Visor was grey.

the visor was really good for its time.

it was, though the fact that you couldn't update the os was kind of a drag. i still have my deluxe somewhere.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Kazinsal posted:

I mostly just get ghosted and I'm going to die alone
I once witnessed the first date of one woman who ghosted me and another who stood me up

it was a reeeeeeal low point

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I once witnessed the first date of one woman who ghosted me and another who stood me up

it was a reeeeeeal low point

yeah that poo poo sucks. getting "not a good time for me to be dating" and then two weeks later see them eating someone else's face outside the place we were going to go on our next date, just real good feels in that scenario.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sajcUVDDBU8

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fun video, thanks for posting!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Midjack posted:

yeah that poo poo sucks. getting "not a good time for me to be dating" and then two weeks later see them eating someone else's face outside the place we were going to go on our next date, just real good feels in that scenario.
oof, I'm sorry, that's just the fuckin worst :sympathy:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
https://twitter.com/woodmuffin/status/1473384397382504456?s=20

lol the sour ball one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Midjack posted:

that's awful, sorry friend

just feeling really spent these days, like I've lost the potential of any happy future with someone. nothing I do matters to anyone and I have no positive effect on anyone's life that couldn't be filled by someone else

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Midjack posted:

Once I got dumped bc her therapist told her she shouldn't be dating anyone. Three days later I registered for OKCupid and she was my very first match, so I immediately closed my account.

That's literally my only online dating experience.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the number of people itt taking whatever somebody says as their dont-hurt-this-persons-feelings reason as Serious Truth is funny a f

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

lol at the lobster physical therapy

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
suicide would be huge amungst millennials and generation x-ers if this poo poo were real

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

suicide would be huge amungst millennials and generation x-ers if this poo poo were real

it definitely seems like he does pt with the lobster

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

I'm too much of a coward tbh

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

and suicide rates are indeed on the rise, facts all check out

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Achmed Jones posted:

the number of people itt taking whatever somebody says as their dont-hurt-this-persons-feelings reason as Serious Truth is funny a f

I didn't figure that part out until I was in my mid-late 20s.

No, I wasn't very good at dating why do you ask

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cat Face Joe posted:

that's one of the best parts of the vid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I showed up for a date once and she was late, so I went for a smoke break and THERE SHE WAS AT THE BAR ACROSS THE STREET flirting with a rando