Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Wait, does omicron mean it's no longer safe to take my mask off when I sit down at a table in a restaurant with an HVAC system from the '60s? I wore it when I walked from the door to the table to be extra safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Not quite, the average goon would do all that but not risk the flight

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Don't forget the extra protection,

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

Does AZ + Pf work? I wonder if I could get to another vax location and get the Pfizer shot instead of my second AZ. I'd have to get in a car, though, which I haven't done more than 3 times since the pandemic started. So I'd be a bit scared of that. I can walk to the place for getting AZ.

A friend of mine in Toronto was essentially forced to get AZ+Moderna+Moderna the first go-round because Canada temporarily halted use of AZ after he had gotten his first shot and the vaccine center had to pivot to Moderna (which he preferred anyway but it meant a longer time til he was fully vaxxed). So I would think you'd be fine switching to an mRna vaccine even after getting one of the AZ, though I've got no hard data at the ready to back that up.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
millions and millions of people in the UK have gone AZ AZ Moderna/Pfizer

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Baconroll posted:

Don't forget the extra protection,

Bold of you to assume goons getting laid to need this

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Galewolf posted:

Bold of you to assume goons getting laid to need this

You can never be too careful when catching a beat these days.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Novavax approved now in Indonesia, Phillipines, WHO countries (67 I believe) and the EU.

UK, Australia coming very soon. Canada maybe too. US possibly in January, but February more likely. Around 40% of people in Germany who didn't get vaxed yet said they would be open to a protein based vaccine like Novavax. Appears to be better tolerated as well.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Is Novavax going to be the one all the hipsters want ? "Oh I had a little known vaccine, you won't have heard of it" :smuggo:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baconroll posted:

Is Novavax going to be the one all the hipsters want ? "Oh I had a little known vaccine, you won't have heard of it" :smuggo:

Yeah I've heard of people holding out for Novavax instead of taking any of the other vaxxes that have been available this last year

Some famous podcast or something like that recommended it ages ago, I can't remember which one

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

Wait, does omicron mean it's no longer safe to take my mask off when I sit down at a table in a restaurant with an HVAC system from the '60s? I wore it when I walked from the door to the table to be extra safe.

it's fine if it's applebees, but any other place is definitely not okay.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1119654898/nose-mask-pollen-protection-dust-cotton otherwise, be a bird and attach some n95 filter media into this thing. eat outside. (don't. just get takeout and eat in your car)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

QuarkJets posted:

I am not a doctor or an epidemiologist but I feel like vigorous exercise before the shot wouldn't matter at all, and after would pose some negligible risk. Experts recommend curtailing exercise for 10 days if you've been infected with covid-19, so do that if you want to be super duper cautious (keeping in mind that there's a league of difference between vaccination and infection)

My game is scheduled for 8 hours after my shot and then I don't have anything scheduled again until the 27th

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

prom candy posted:

My game is scheduled for 8 hours after my shot and then I don't have anything scheduled again until the 27th

T+8 is usually right about when the side effects start hitting, so have fun with that.

The 10 day moratorium for people with COVID is due to respiratory and vascular stuff, I haven't heard anything about not exercising on the vax. You won't want to, but I don't think it matters.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

prom candy posted:

you're really likely to be in hell at that point. is there any way to schedule it a few days before?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Woke up this morning with a scratchy throat and post nasal drip, lets loving GOOOOOOO

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Woke up this morning with a scratchy throat and post nasal drip, lets loving GOOOOOOO

I've got: lymph nodes inflamed in my throat, post nasal drip, a really good little hacking mostly dry cough, the sensation of fire in my lungs, and full body soreness.

Sure would be concerned if this wasn't my usual day prior to my meds

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

you're really likely to be in hell at that point. is there any way to schedule it a few days before?

Haha nope the shot and the game (hockey) are both today. My wife got hers on Saturday and played two games that night but I'm a much bigger baby than her. And also in the risk group for myocarditis (but is that even something worth thinking about?)

It's not a big deal if I miss the game, I play all the time and it's just for fun. But I am worried we might get shut down after xmas and that this'll be my last chance for a while. But I played last night too so...

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Symptom #1 for us (Delta variant) was sore muscles. Especially between the shoulder blades. Not sure what that was all about.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Scam Likely posted:

Symptom #1 for us (Delta variant) was sore muscles. Especially between the shoulder blades. Not sure what that was all about.
I think there is a lymph node in that area

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

well two rapid tests from two different brands show me negative and that's the best I'm gonna be able to do because I can't take 6 hours off from work to wait in line for a PCR. Christmas is back on the menu baby

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ugh, reaching the point here in the Northeast where everyone has a close contact who tested positive and there are no tests available. So that’s great.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
How is this not top news everywhere??

https://sports.yahoo.com/us-army-claims-close-developing-131341786.html

US Army claims it is close to developing vaccine against all Covid variants and coronaviruses

The US Department of Defence (DOD) is just weeks away from announcing a vaccine that can fight against Covid-19, including the Omicron and Delta variants, and other coronaviruses that have killed millions of people across the globe.

The Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, the largest biomedical research facility of the DOD, is close to a breakthrough after two years of work into a vaccine that would work not only against the existing strains and variants but also other potential ones, reported Defense One.

More details from this nypost article...

https://nypost.com/2021/12/22/us-army-developing-vaccine-to-treat-all-covid-variants/

What makes the vaccine unique is its soccer ball-shaped protein with 24 faces, allowing scientists to attach the spikes of multiple coronavirus variants on different faces of the protein, according to the report.

This sounds like the silver bullet that may end covid. Probably will come too late at the rate omicron is spreading though...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s interesting, but for a context of where we are in the timeline, the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was at this state of development in April of 2020.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I wouldn't put it past the army to do that but literally the only reporting over seen on it is DefenseOne and reprints of it

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

prom candy posted:

I'm not a doctor or any sort of expert, but I got my booster morning of December 6th - I felt fine later that evening so I worked out at home and I just sucked. Like there was a noticeable difference in my performance especially when running. I was also extremely sore for a few days afterwards and I didn't do anything particularly hard that would typically warrant soreness.

Pfizer x 3 if that makes a difference.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I wouldn't put it past the army to do that but literally the only reporting over seen on it is DefenseOne and reprints of it

There's been work on universal flu vaccines for quite a while, and there's been a fair amount of progress made in the last decade. It's certainly likely that the last couple years have caused that progress to leap forward as well. There's a bunch of candidates, but I don't know about the specific status of the US Army one. I know that NIH began Phase 1 trials for their universal flu vaccine in June at their Bethesda headquarters, which may be related.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Some Guy From NY posted:

This sounds like the silver bullet that may end covid. Probably will come too late at the rate omicron is spreading though...

I said this in cspam but while I certainly hope that it is a legit silver bullet and just loving destroys this trash, I also cannot wait for the conspiracy theorists to start screaming about how They've had this vax all along and now They're intentionally ending the pandemic because They've met Their goals and just go full-blown nuts.

(I don't know who They will be but I assume the conspiracy nuts will default to The New World Order. gently caress you, Hulk Hogan.)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Kaal posted:

There's been work on universal flu vaccines for quite a while, and there's been a fair amount of progress made in the last decade. It's certainly likely that the last couple years have caused that progress to leap forward as well. There's a bunch of candidates, but I don't know about the specific status of the US Army one. I know that NIH began Phase 1 trials for their universal flu vaccine in June at their Bethesda headquarters, which may be related.

Universal COVID vaccine, universal flu vaccine, universal remote... now if I could send my wife into the universe I'd be all set!

this post brought to you by the Boomer Humor Gang

enki42 posted:

World leaders all maniacally laughing about how they achieved their devious plan of tanking their economies and making people wear a piece of cloth over their faces for a couple of years.

honestly this would be far more hilarious than some grand overarching plan to take over the world and install the NWO. A bunch of billionaires and elites just using their endless money to mess with people for a couple years before getting bored and moving on

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I said this in cspam but while I certainly hope that it is a legit silver bullet and just loving destroys this trash, I also cannot wait for the conspiracy theorists to start screaming about how They've had this vax all along and now They're intentionally ending the pandemic because They've met Their goals and just go full-blown nuts.

(I don't know who They will be but I assume the conspiracy nuts will default to The New World Order. gently caress you, Hulk Hogan.)

World leaders all maniacally laughing about how they achieved their devious plan of tanking their economies and making people wear a piece of cloth over their faces for a couple of years.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
only weak people get side effects from the vaccines so go play your sports have fun

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
UK has gone over 100k positive tests in a day - 106k. But vaccinations were over a million in total for the same day so not all doom and gloom.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I said this in cspam but while I certainly hope that it is a legit silver bullet and just loving destroys this trash
I hope so too, not just for the current plague but because there’s no reason to think that this will be the last coronavirus pandemic we deal with. SARS-1 and MERS have CFRs of about 10% and 30% and it’s just dumb luck that they aren’t nearly as infectious as SARS-2. I’d sure like us to be protected if/when something with the worst of both worlds jumps the species barrier.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ColdBlooded posted:

I'm not a doctor or any sort of expert, but I got my booster morning of December 6th - I felt fine later that evening so I worked out at home and I just sucked. Like there was a noticeable difference in my performance especially when running. I was also extremely sore for a few days afterwards and I didn't do anything particularly hard that would typically warrant soreness.

Pfizer x 3 if that makes a difference.

Yeah I think I might just skip it as much as I hate missing hockey. Maybe I'll buy myself Metroid Dread as a nice treaty treat for being such a brave booster boy.

helsabot posted:

only weak people get side effects from the vaccines so go play your sports have fun

I am weak

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

My hope is that a vaccine developed by Are Troops might help with reluctant conservatives, but who knows.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

gohuskies posted:

My hope is that a vaccine developed by Are Troops might help with reluctant conservatives, but who knows.

Military govment conspiracy

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

withak posted:

drat, guess I should have gone back to licking doorknobs with everyone else last year.

Pal I never stopped sucking and loving.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Universal COVID vaccine, universal flu vaccine, universal remote... now if I could send my wife into the universe I'd be all set!

this post brought to you by the Boomer Humor Gang

Are you able to add some jpeg compression Minions or maybe a Cathy cartoon panel to this post so I can better understand that it is humor?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Are you able to add some jpeg compression Minions or maybe a Cathy cartoon panel to this post so I can better understand that it is humor?

Ask and ye shall receive

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I prefer my COVID humor and/or misinformation to be delivered by a mean-mugging toddler who's clenching his fist :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ask and ye shall receive

Ahahahah I get it now! I don't like young people and also change scares me