Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Milo and POTUS posted:

My current one is some tv show and I suspect cartoon mocking italian americans by saying something like they can't afford italian suits or something. I figured it was a burns-ism but there's not enough old-timey speak if I'm remembering it right. Which I'm probably not

You can't have been carrying this around that long: it's from the most recent episode of Family Guy, "The Fatman Always Rings Twice", which aired on November 28. It's a film noir/detective parody set in the 1930s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Once I found a website that tracked every elephant in every zoo across the world, living or dead, and I can't find it any more.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Try https://www.elephant.se/

I worked at a Natural history museum, and we received a donation from a deceased veterinarian. He had an elephant femur marked with a name, and I was able to find that it came from an elephant in a Stockholm zoo that got sick and was euthanized in the 1960s.

e: this was the one
https://www.elephant.se/database2.php?elephant_id=60

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 7, 2021

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

rap music posted:

i really want a tat of this wikihow dog but i'm going crazy trying to find the original, uncropped full resolution image

https://web.archive.org/web/20150310154517/https://www.wikihow.com/Handle-a-Dog-Attack

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Harvey TWH posted:

You can't have been carrying this around that long: it's from the most recent episode of Family Guy, "The Fatman Always Rings Twice", which aired on November 28. It's a film noir/detective parody set in the 1930s.

lol oh my god. Yup, that's it. I've got a million of these. I hate losing track of memories like that and I guess it's just gonna keep happening more

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

kupachek posted:

This is the only other music for the Space level I've come across so far that doesn't match what I hear when I go through other videos of the final game, is different from the linked video earlier, but I don't know if I'd call it more chill, but has a different energy for sure.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oCi_kWOAFiplRvLUhlNAOsd8A0dbPmQV/view?usp=sharing

Sadly this isn't matching my memory of it but who knows, memory is unreliable. It's definitely a bit closer in vibe.

Arivia posted:

There’s also a complete upload of the soundtrack here to compare to https://youtu.be/7amQVPkRK8A

I also don't hear anything in here that's familiar. I suspect the music licenced here wasn't in the demos at all and they had some alternates tracks. Thank you for digging these up though!

runwiled fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 7, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Tea Bone posted:

That's actually the part that makes me want to find it again. I remember it creeping me out as a kid/early teen but like to think even child me would have seen through that gaping plot hole. I'm curious if it really did just gloss over the whole basement thing.

We had a basement this whole time?!

E: Oh poo poo, we had a son?!

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
There was an old flash strategy game that I can remember playing, which featured a variety of generic fantasy races. You'd send soldiers down the lanes on your side, and the AI would send soldiers on their side. Each of the factions would have some common units, but then unique units as well. I distinctly remember there being both tan and green orcs. For the life of me I can't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gently caress me, that was the first thing I tried and for some reason it just wouldn't work for me

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

gently caress me, that was the first thing I tried and for some reason it just wouldn't work for me

I think the site was having issues, I tried it the day it was posted and couldn't get anything to pull up

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

holy poo poo thanks

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I posted that but I didn't actually read through the text until now, and uh, :holymoley:

quote:

3 - Use your weight to your advantage. Bring your entire body weight to bear on the animal, specifically pushing down with the hard points of your knees or elbows. Dogs are vicious biters but cannot wrestle, so try to get an advantageous position and break their bones fairly quickly.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

IAmThatIs posted:

There was an old flash strategy game that I can remember playing, which featured a variety of generic fantasy races. You'd send soldiers down the lanes on your side, and the AI would send soldiers on their side. Each of the factions would have some common units, but then unique units as well. I distinctly remember there being both tan and green orcs. For the life of me I can't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Was it the Epic War series?

e: here's a link to Epic War 2. Epic war 1 was very similar, though more stripped down. Epic wars 3 and 4 were much different with some sort of army building mechanic.

https://www.crazygames.com/game/epic-war-2

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

20 Blunts posted:

There's this groovy rear end psychedelic rock song that I'm fairly certain is from the o.g. 1967-1969 era, not sure if British or American

i am capable of humming it, the chorus and verse

i don't think i have the lyrics in memory correct, but the chorus kind of dramatically builds up to this line that is like "we are all just plastic boys and plastic girls....in a world....that doesnt care"

heard it in a work truck years ago and its always bothered me. i have clicked through the discographys of so many classic bands from the period - Strawberry Alarm Clock, the Soft Machine, 13th Floor Elevators, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Scott freakin' Walker, etc etc etc.......

Could it be Zappa?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNULHGsy3SE

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

IAmThatIs posted:

The epic war series is probably it but if it's not let me know. I've played so many flash games on kongregate before adobe kicked the stool out from under them

e: might be https://www.kongregate.com/games/DJStatika/warlords-call-to-arms

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 11, 2021

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

There's this groovy rear end psychedelic rock song that I'm fairly certain is from the o.g. 1967-1969 era, not sure if British or American

i am capable of humming it, the chorus and verse

i don't think i have the lyrics in memory correct, but the chorus kind of dramatically builds up to this line that is like "we are all just plastic boys and plastic girls....in a world....that doesnt care"

heard it in a work truck years ago and its always bothered me. i have clicked through the discographys of so many classic bands from the period - Strawberry Alarm Clock, the Soft Machine, 13th Floor Elevators, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Scott freakin' Walker, etc etc etc.......

The Kinks' 'Plastic Man' from 1969, maybe? It's not the most psychedelic thing in the world, but...
https://youtu.be/f95UCJs2rUA

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A couple of years ago I spent an evening watching these absurdly long videos about how PT (the kojima game) is connected to Silent Hill/Metal Gear Solid 5/Ground Zeroes, using a whole wealth of esoteric nonsense, symbology, numberology, sacred geometry, European Chaos Magick, whatever. It was basically the pinnacle of the r/NeverBeGameOver fever. I mentioned it to a friend and then tried to find it and realized how impossible it is to search for, given how many PT = Ground Zeroes??? youtubes there are. There's a ton of videos that try to create links between the three games but they're mostly talking about visual similarities or thematic commonalities, while this video was deep in the "The radio beeps 8 times and in kabbalah the numb-" style stuff. Does this ring any bells for anyone? It was like at least an hour long. I remember there being a lot of like, hexagons and shape-based meta magical bullshit.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Long shot but -

- Some japanese cat videos with ASCII art, the style of the cats was similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3oYKqFUqYY

There was one that was a super intense music video, with some of the chorus being a row of cats drumming, but seen like you were in the row?
All of this was just done with ascii art

- Also still looking for that badly drawn russian cartoon about an alien rabbit and a bunch of other young people who hang out in st petersburg

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Arrhythmia posted:

Was it the Epic War series?

e: here's a link to Epic War 2. Epic war 1 was very similar, though more stripped down. Epic wars 3 and 4 were much different with some sort of army building mechanic.

https://www.crazygames.com/game/epic-war-2

no but I remember playing these a bunch too lol

YES! Thank you, a real blast from the past :)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Long shot but -

- Some japanese cat videos with ASCII art, the style of the cats was similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3oYKqFUqYY

There was one that was a super intense music video, with some of the chorus being a row of cats drumming, but seen like you were in the row?
All of this was just done with ascii art
I haven't looked close enough to find that particular one, but searching YouTube for 絵文字 もなー turns up quite a few, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCBS8-kh3e0
It seems like very few of them are fully animated.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Haha take THAT arrhythmia!

jk, the ww thread is a kind place all are welcome

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm looking for a web-based game that was made up of puzzles revolving around your mouse cursor. It would be stuff like a bunch of cursors would appear on the screen and only one would be your 'real' cursor, or the cursor movement was inverted. In each stage, you had to click on some stairs to move up a level. The game was in Japanese, (or perhaps Chinese or Koren) but at the very end a message displayed saying "Happy New Year". The graphics were minimal, from what I remember just black lines on a white background.

I feel like this shouldn't be too hard to find with the right search terms but I'm not hitting on anything.

This was probably about 15+ plus years ago so the game was likely in flash so lost to the ether anyway.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Would that be Cursor*10?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursor*10

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
A music video from the 80s (maybe 90s). It's been occasionally popping up in my head for years. I saw it on some Russian website full of music videos, back in the pre-Youtube days. I don't remember the music at all, and I'm not sure what language it was in. Probably a weird new wave song.
It takes place in a large hospital room with a few patients in it. I remember that one patient was covered in bandages. The singer is there and brings in some sort of dancing witch doctor who heals them, and then they all start dancing around the room. Not a very detailed description, I know, but it was a pretty simple video.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Quarex posted:

Was it by Bishop? If so, it was once located at /songs/1996/s3m/h/hours.zip on the Hornet Demoscene archive, which I think is up and running again somewhere? Your mistake, if it is that one, is not thinking like a tracker, as it is "30" not "thirty"

I meant to ask about this from a few pages ago...is this as esoteric as it seems?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've been trying to find an old SA story. The gist of it being a kid (Kyle) had a pokemon battle at school, and got slapped around. He had to swap away his best character to his bully, and in turn received a character named Kylesucks.

He spent the next three months buffing up Kylesucks and won the next battle with him.

I've never paid attention to pokemon but I love that story, if anyone can find it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Can't find it but have found references to it from june 2015 which specify it was a Raticate. good luck with your new clues.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

huh posted:

I meant to ask about this from a few pages ago...is this as esoteric as it seems?
Likely. We are talking about a scene that in the 1990s was probably made up of maybe 1,000 active musicians worldwide, with actual listeners likely only 100x that. Which might sound big until you remember this is spread across like 50 countries on four continents (for the most part).

I am absolutely pulling these numbers out of almost nowhere, but as one tiny part of the scene I can confirm I was elated to see some of my tracks had 50 downloads after a few months. And this was after I hit the big time by joining one of the major groups, Kosmic Free Music Foundation. Granted I have no idea how many BBSs or FTP sites may have also hosted my tracks back in the day, either.

The Hornet archive was set up in 1994? and was basically proto-Bandcamp for Amiga/MS-DOS tracker musicians. Back in the day when most ordinary people who heard our music said it was so bad and cheesy that there was no chance of it being popular. Needless to say we won that argument eventually. Thanks, chiptunes!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

shame on an IGA posted:

Can't find it but have found references to it from june 2015 which specify it was a Raticate. good luck with your new clues.

You rock. Found it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784098&userid=153633

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Does anyone remember that hand drawn comic about the minion that got cheated on and then married Mr Burns and inherits all his money when he dies because I need it again for reasons

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Quarex posted:

Likely. We are talking about a scene that in the 1990s was probably made up of maybe 1,000 active musicians worldwide, with actual listeners likely only 100x that. Which might sound big until you remember this is spread across like 50 countries on four continents (for the most part).

I am absolutely pulling these numbers out of almost nowhere, but as one tiny part of the scene I can confirm I was elated to see some of my tracks had 50 downloads after a few months. And this was after I hit the big time by joining one of the major groups, Kosmic Free Music Foundation. Granted I have no idea how many BBSs or FTP sites may have also hosted my tracks back in the day, either.

The Hornet archive was set up in 1994? and was basically proto-Bandcamp for Amiga/MS-DOS tracker musicians. Back in the day when most ordinary people who heard our music said it was so bad and cheesy that there was no chance of it being popular. Needless to say we won that argument eventually. Thanks, chiptunes!

ty. I love it.

Delysid
Jul 31, 2003

need another damn shooter
This isn't from ages ago, but I simply cannot find this clip anymore. It was originally posted on Twitter but may have been removed.

From the DC BLM protests/riots after George Floyd was killed, there's a clip of an Antifa-looking fellow (just dressed in all black) pulling out a hammer and chipping away at a sidewalk to make some DIY throw-able debris. Some people grab him, someone is screaming "WHITE PEOPLE!!!" (obviously angry that a white guy is stirring up trouble at a supposed-to-be-peaceful BLM protest) and they throw him at the police, who cuff/apprehend him. Then a dude in full "tactical" gear who had to be 7 feet tall who looks like the Juggernaut from Modern Warfare got in the cops' faces and threatened them and read off their name tags and I think he even chest-poked one of them and had his hand swatted away.

Gotta be out there somewhere, but damned if I can find it on Twitter.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Delysid posted:

This isn't from ages ago, but I simply cannot find this clip anymore. It was originally posted on Twitter but may have been removed.

From the DC BLM protests/riots after George Floyd was killed, there's a clip of an Antifa-looking fellow (just dressed in all black) pulling out a hammer and chipping away at a sidewalk to make some DIY throw-able debris. Some people grab him, someone is screaming "WHITE PEOPLE!!!" (obviously angry that a white guy is stirring up trouble at a supposed-to-be-peaceful BLM protest) and they throw him at the police, who cuff/apprehend him. Then a dude in full "tactical" gear who had to be 7 feet tall who looks like the Juggernaut from Modern Warfare got in the cops' faces and threatened them and read off their name tags and I think he even chest-poked one of them and had his hand swatted away.

FBI deleted it coz that gangly giant is obviously an alien.

Delysid
Jul 31, 2003

need another damn shooter
Sorry, one more (separate post as opposed to edit for comfier quotability)

When "The Dead" announced their 2009 spring tour, the ticket prices were outrageous, like $100+ face, and fans were pissed. I went to one show on that tour and it was pretty lovely. Like, the worst performance I've ever seen with an original Grateful Dead member on stage.

There was a viral video of just a Dead flag backdrop with an angry woman ranting in the background about the ticket prices and it culminates in her yelling something like "FOR A HUNDRED loving DOLLARS... NOT ONLY DO I WANT THE BEST. SHOW. EVER., I want Bob Weir to cum on my loving face." Everyone was laughing their asses off about it all tour and it went super viral but it's... gone, I think?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Delysid posted:

Well here's some of the footage:

https://twitter.com/kvwviiju/status/1268190940130394112?t=GUvH9dBt11ElPqg08IoLUQ&s=19

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rascar Capac posted:

Well here's some of the footage:

Here's the other part (second clip)

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1267265477937639425

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Here’s one that’s been bugging me today: I could swear that there was an episode of the BBC show QI in which they talk about December 21 not actually being the longest night of the year (presumably because the exact time of solstice happens that morning). In my memory it’s from the Stephen Fry years and I have a vague notion that David Mitchell might have been one of the guests. Can’t find it anywhere.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Try looking it up with the quote “a solstice is just an equinox done up big time stylee”

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

Here’s one that’s been bugging me today: I could swear that there was an episode of the BBC show QI in which they talk about December 21 not actually being the longest night of the year (presumably because the exact time of solstice happens that morning). In my memory it’s from the Stephen Fry years and I have a vague notion that David Mitchell might have been one of the guests. Can’t find it anywhere.

The solstice does move around you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Knot My President! posted:

Does anyone remember that hand drawn comic about the minion that got cheated on and then married Mr Burns and inherits all his money when he dies because I need it again for reasons

Closest thing I've seen is a similar comic about Dora getting cheated on by Plankton: https://imgur.com/gallery/ktEIuun