Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah I just moved the install over to steam for convience but it's still Ger v UK early access mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

hopefully they're paying their devs this goaround

It ended up going to a French labor court, but I can't find the final outcome anywhere.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Pharnakes posted:

So I see UA:D has hit steam, is the campaign still just Germany v Britain, perpetual war?

It's hardly even that, the whole research thing doesn't really do anything in it because it's hard to not win with your initial fleet, and this ends the campaign.

You can totally see how the campaign system has most of the parts needed to make a very interesting strategic layer, but the way they are put together mostly resembles a tech demo.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuna-Fish posted:

It's hardly even that, the whole research thing doesn't really do anything in it because it's hard to not win with your initial fleet, and this ends the campaign.

You can totally see how the campaign system has most of the parts needed to make a very interesting strategic layer, but the way they are put together mostly resembles a tech demo.

See this is why I want to hold off on it for a while, it seems super cool, just not put together yet. How is age of sail?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I’ve been trying to play To End All Wars and can’t get past the second turn.

While I am very experienced with AGEODs system, it just seems too loving cumbersome for the scale they’ve chosen for a First World War game… and I am less convinced the AGEOD system is appropriate at all to model large scale naval combat.

Also, I accidentally combine cards in stacks so gods drat much (I know you can lock them) because of these First World War armies with their 10 Corps a piece… I want to pull my hair out.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

just bought war in the east 2. i played the veliki luki scenario and now have jumped straight into the 1941 campaign as the soviets. wish me luck fellas

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That’s actually exactly how decisive campaigns ran it. It’s not the same as like hearts of iron multiplayer from my understanding. Still it should work fine for our purposes. I think having a separate thread documenting us attempting to win the war as one side together would probably be fun as hell.

Played CaseB Blue Co op with a dude once that way, was dope

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

ZombieLenin posted:

I’ve been trying to play To End All Wars and can’t get past the second turn.

While I am very experienced with AGEODs system, it just seems too loving cumbersome for the scale they’ve chosen for a First World War game… and I am less convinced the AGEOD system is appropriate at all to model large scale naval combat.

Also, I accidentally combine cards in stacks so gods drat much (I know you can lock them) because of these First World War armies with their 10 Corps a piece… I want to pull my hair out.

Oh yeah AGEOD is wildly inappropriate for WWI.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

just bought war in the east 2. i played the veliki luki scenario and now have jumped straight into the 1941 campaign as the soviets. wish me luck fellas

Good luck. I'm loathe to admit that I've bounced hard off both of the War in the East/West titles every time I've tried. I can wrap my head around individual ships, squadrons, and pilots in WitP, but something about pushing counters around is just so disengaging for me. :(

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrotherJayne posted:

Played CaseB Blue Co op with a dude once that way, was dope

Yeah, it was a bunch of fun, even playing one of the Low Countries and getting my rear end steamrolled by the Germans.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Aw man, I grabbed Warplan Pacific with the intention of playing it on my Surface Pro while off doing Christmasy travel, but I can't quite seem to find the right combination of resolution and UI options to really make it work right...and it seems to just crash if I try to change the resolution while in full screen mode. Uhhhh, well, I don't know why but the crashing stopped - and full res with 1.5 "text size"(really UI size) actually looks great. Forget I complained! I'll still complain about no v-sync and zooming on the trackpad being sensitive though. :mad:

Got Ardennes Offensive for the same reason, and it's a little better since it's just like Shadow Empire which looks pretty good on the small-size-high-res display. But I've got to get re-acquainted with Vic's UIs and level of detail again after playing stuff like the WDS Squad Battles.

I know why it's not supported anywhere, but I still wish some of these tile and hex games had viable touchscreen controls. It'd be perfect.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 20, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The Troop has been released, $40. Early access etc. Downloading it now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

The Troop has been released, $40. Early access etc. Downloading it now.

Are there actually infantry or is it just tanks?

Edit: Ok I see in a screenshot there are infantry I missed that before. Let us know what you think, I'm interested.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Popete posted:

Are there actually infantry or is it just tanks?

Edit: Ok I see in a screenshot there are infantry I missed that before. Let us know what you think, I'm interested.

It's pretty bare bones right now, only 8 or 10 scenarios total. I played through a Canadian Vs. SS Panthers and it was pretty good. If they add an editor for mission creation it'll be pretty damned good. It reminds me of a better Battle Academy right now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Marshal Prolapse posted:

See this is why I want to hold off on it for a while, it seems super cool, just not put together yet. How is age of sail?

Age of Sail is a lot more mature than Dreadnoughts. You'll be doing a mix of naval battles and land battles. Sometimes you'll fight a naval battle and then land the troops you use for the ground phase. The land game inherits from their Civil War game, and has had a lot of work since, so it's solid. I haven't tried a big naval battle yet.

How the gently caress do I upgrade the guns on my ships in the campaign ?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

mllaneza posted:

Age of Sail is a lot more mature than Dreadnoughts. You'll be doing a mix of naval battles and land battles. Sometimes you'll fight a naval battle and then land the troops you use for the ground phase. The land game inherits from their Civil War game, and has had a lot of work since, so it's solid. I haven't tried a big naval battle yet.

How the gently caress do I upgrade the guns on my ships in the campaign ?

Unlock better ones with research and buy new ones, they should be in the shop if you're asking about upgrading guns in Age of Sail. Also, why did you spoiler your question?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Modern Naval Warfare trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZAcBt2_GH0

Looks like DCS for subs

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

£31 seems a little steep for barebones EA but what the hell and I'm sure they'll expand on it. I really enjoyed the demo of The Troop I'll pick it up in a day or two when I have some time for it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Abongination posted:

Modern Naval Warfare trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZAcBt2_GH0

Looks like DCS for subs

:holy:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Armauk posted:

How has the game kept your attention for this long?

It's mostly for these reasons:

1.) I'm a writer, so I keep inventing new space species with unhealthily long and complex backgrounds just for the fun of writing, then putting them into games like some hosed-up AI experiment

2.) Paradox keeps adding new poo poo to try out and changes stuff, so the game keeps feeling fresh

3.) The game is sometimes incredibly buggy. The Grey Tempest event for example spawns super-fleets which only well-prepared players can defeat. Even the recently improved AI can't do this, at least not always: Set up your game in the wrong way, and the AI is too weak and since the GT-fleets can just delete planets, every game run with them often turns into a nightmare realm of you surviving in a sea of death. And the AI is programmed to rip out the gates releasing them on their own if you wait long enough. So every game randomly spawning them better also have high difficulty, or the run will just one day end with endless spawns eating up everyone.

The rest of the bugs is kind of boring in comparison, and Paradox keeps fixing them. But boy oy boy, the amount of time I've wasted by playing for hours, only to win by default when the GT showed up. That and other aborted runs due to bugs or me just losing interest in my own scenario probably accounts for most of that time.

In those 2800+ hours, there's just one singular game I ever managed to play through to the end. But as long as the game is fun, I keep going back

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Libluini posted:

It's mostly for these reasons:

1.) I'm a writer, so I keep inventing new space species with unhealthily long and complex backgrounds just for the fun of writing, then putting them into games like some hosed-up AI experiment

2.) Paradox keeps adding new poo poo to try out and changes stuff, so the game keeps feeling fresh

3.) The game is sometimes incredibly buggy. The Grey Tempest event for example spawns super-fleets which only well-prepared players can defeat. Even the recently improved AI can't do this, at least not always: Set up your game in the wrong way, and the AI is too weak and since the GT-fleets can just delete planets, every game run with them often turns into a nightmare realm of you surviving in a sea of death. And the AI is programmed to rip out the gates releasing them on their own if you wait long enough. So every game randomly spawning them better also have high difficulty, or the run will just one day end with endless spawns eating up everyone.

The rest of the bugs is kind of boring in comparison, and Paradox keeps fixing them. But boy oy boy, the amount of time I've wasted by playing for hours, only to win by default when the GT showed up. That and other aborted runs due to bugs or me just losing interest in my own scenario probably accounts for most of that time.

In those 2800+ hours, there's just one singular game I ever managed to play through to the end. But as long as the game is fun, I keep going back

yeah but aren't you that guy who has the 1000 page master of orion 3 let's play? i don't know if we should be taking space 4X advice from you

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Foo Diddley posted:

yeah but aren't you that guy who has the 1000 page master of orion 3 let's play? i don't know if we should be taking space 4X advice from you

I say this with love Libluini: A 1000 page MOO3 LP playthrough is a valuable service to the community. A historical record of man's reach exceeding their grasp. A documenting of the first faltering steps toward a 4X that doesn't require micromanagement. A chance to comment on how that ultimately circles back to the sliders of MOO1.

Rounding out the LP with two additional playthroughs is where people start to doubt.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I for one would love a link to the 1000 page MOO3 let's play.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

This should work.

And is substantially shorter than 100 pages. Even with the expedition design contest.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
For Christmas, I want the perfect grognard game. Now, as an ideas man, I thought I would present design goals to any game developers who follow this thread.

To begin with, the game should have a 700 page manual with grainy black and white screenshots and full of typos, with one page devoted to tutorial. There is no interactive in-game tutorial. The game comes with a PDF but you can also order a printed manual separately for $100 + shipping and handling which for a European is another $100. The printed manual is miniature bible size for convenience.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The grainy black and white screenshots need to show UI elements from during the development cycle which have since been reworked or removed. The text obviously should make no mention of this.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The game is only available as an $80 CD-ROM that has to be shipped to you by some overweight boomer with a mustache who got roped into running their brother-in-law's grognard game webstore. This webstore is coded in basic HTML and still features the <marquee> tag at least somewhere on the site.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Has to be run in Windows Vista compatibility mode, and only ever uses a single processor thread

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The only community available for help lives on a 1990s-era forum and dismisses all your questions because you didn't play the 14 previous games in the series and are thus asking stupid questions they are tired of answering. The most popular thread is about how the libs caused the downfall of society and kids have no discipline these days.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

gradenko_2000 posted:

Has to be run in Windows Vista compatibility mode, and only ever uses a single processor thread

If you don’t have a dedicated machine running Windows 98, are you even trying to play the game correctly?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FishMcCool posted:

The most popular thread is about how the libs caused the downfall of society and kids have no discipline these days.

And the most prominent mod/forum admin is some dude with an SS Totenkopf forum avatar and a name like "PanzerWolf Sturm & Drang" or something.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Drone posted:

And the most prominent mod/forum admin is some dude with an SS Totenkopf forum avatar and a name like "PanzerWolf Sturm & Drang" or something.

25% chance of a Rommel or Joachim Peiper related name/avatar.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Does not run above 1024x768 resolution.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It has to have an extensive troop quality system where the lowest rank is 'conscript'. No German troops start at conscript.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

habituallyred posted:

I say this with love Libluini: A 1000 page MOO3 LP playthrough is a valuable service to the community. A historical record of man's reach exceeding their grasp. A documenting of the first faltering steps toward a 4X that doesn't require micromanagement. A chance to comment on how that ultimately circles back to the sliders of MOO1.

Rounding out the LP with two additional playthroughs is where people start to doubt.

To be fair, some kind of cosmic force seems to agree with you, considering all the IRL-bullshit happening since September, forcing my LPs into endless hiatus

My current plan reads "resume updates after Christmas", but today the eyesight on my still functioning eye dropped a bit again and now I'm not sure if I can hold to this plan. Next appointment to look at my eyes is on January 3rd, after that I'll know more. Hopefully.

The water damage in my apartment is also still not repaired. loving landlords

Clarence
May 3, 2012

War in the West is 70% off on Steam at the moment.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It has to have an extensive troop quality system where the lowest rank is 'conscript'. No German troops start at conscript.

There is a mission where 5 Shermans and platoon of airborne infantry must take on a single Panther tank with only one squad of panzer grenadiers as support and it's considered balanced.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not sure if Mobious Front should be talked about here or on the strategy thread, but drat if the game is as frustrating as it is good. The AI is either very good or (mostly likely) knows where your units are at all times, so the game feels like really explosive chess.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Alikchi and I are playing the Red God of War scenario in Wite2. Really enjoying the match without being overwhelmed by a ton of units.

So now I'm trying to make a scenario... has anyone done it? If so, any good references?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Mans posted:

Not sure if Mobious Front should be talked about here or on the strategy thread, but drat if the game is as frustrating as it is good. The AI is either very good or (mostly likely) knows where your units are at all times, so the game feels like really explosive chess.

It’s one of those games where if you gently caress up you know the only one you have to blame is yourself. It remains the only zactronics game I have ever completed.