Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also all the events are permanently added so there's a lot more hunts they've been dripfeeding to the game for a year now. Basically no event armor is a real bummer though, the only thing I don't really like about Rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah there’s a good amount of event quests which range from fun cosmetics to “here’s a bunch of apex have fun dying”. It’s in a good spot right now but I think a bunch of us are on standby until Sunbreak.

I’m still undecided of wether I want to keep up with Rice on Switch or just shelve it and switch to PC with the expectation of having the Steam Deck at some point next year for portable monhun.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ah yes, Rise. Well, I've spent about 20 hours becoming capable of beating the demo boss in 15 minutes

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So how is Rise almost a year out? MH:W is one of my top 5 played games of all time, but the demo of Rise didn’t really grab me.
I don't think Rise is bad, but it just didn't land for me the same way World did. While I enjoyed the wirebug stuff and palamute-riding at first, the hyper mobility and opportunity to just zip out of any danger kind of rubbed all the magic off of combat for me and everything in Rise just ended up feeling weightless after a bit.

Most of the weapons I used didn't feel as heavy or punchy compared to MHW. I thought maybe it was an issue of playing on the Switch and tried the demo out on Steam, but swinging a greatsword or jabbing a lance just feels so much better to me in World compared to Rise. Silk bind attacks were also interesting for a bit, but with certain weapons I realized I was just waiting for openings to spam them nonstop and not really using the weapon to its fullest, otherwise.

I also didn't find the levels in Rise were anywhere as immersive or fun to explore. That said I am a fan of horrible mazes like the ancient forest and genuinely like the busywork of chasing scoutflies and picking up tracks so idk maybe my brain is just melted.

I'm still buying Sunbreak and there's a good chance I buy it all over again for PC cause I'm a Monster Hunter degenerate at this point.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Rise was fun enough, and I like most of the new monsters, but "Big Bad" Magnamalo is just trying way too hard to be Zinogre 2.0 and... it's kinda not very interesting.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He can blast dash so he's cool imo.

E: That tiger is maining Gunlance and has my respect.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He can blast dash so he's cool imo.

His turf wars are lame and make him look like an invisible child is just bumping him into the flying monsters. :shrug:

I know what they're going for, he just feels weightless which kinda robs the turf war of its impact.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PoptartsNinja posted:

His turf wars are lame and make him look like an invisible child is just bumping him into the flying monsters. :shrug:

I know what they're going for, he just feels weightless which kinda robs the turf war of its impact.

Yeah if I had to fault Magnamalo for anything it's his nonsensical airdashes. It just looks too goofy to take seriously.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nah he rules. He’s literally rocket jumping using his tail blast to get a 2nd and third jump.

I love everything about Magnamalo.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Magnamalo rules and Zinogre drools.

I will not be taking questions.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I don't think I've ever seen a fall off in enthusiasm as great as I have for Rise. None of my usual MH peeps are talking at all about Sunbreak, and they stopped playing a while ago. Hell, a lot of them even went back to modded World/Icborne.

Some were originally considering double-dipping for PC, but it's radio silence.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
That's probably because it's over 6 months away and we don't know anything about it other than two monsters.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm already committed to double dipping on PC and will get Sunbreak there when it is available, personally. I really liked Rise, but I didn't keep up with the events on switch because other things came up.

Magnamalo isn't really at the top of my favorite monsters list, but I always like to see non-winged flagship monsters, and it's still a cool monster regardless.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rise isn't a game-as-a-service so maybe people don't talk about it as much right now because it's not constantly cycling in events that give you mostly irrelevant rewards

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

you double-dipping fuckers are the reason I don't have rise yet :argh:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Could also be Rise's more humane deco/charm creation set up. World HR gave you some bad reasons to grind.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

rise isn't a game-as-a-service so maybe people don't talk about it as much right now because it's not constantly cycling in events that give you mostly irrelevant rewards

I get it but I also really miss the event only crown hunting quests.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You will reset 100 times for a Mini Crown Velocidrome that you try to guess visually and you will like it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

BMan posted:

you double-dipping fuckers are the reason I don't have rise yet :argh:

sorry my b

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I hit the 500-hour mark for World+Iceborne this past weekend, spread out over about two years.

I sunk 250 hours into Rise and that was base game over a few months.

Rise is good y'all.

I did just pick up MHGU though, but I'm not diving in just yet because I know that's 1000 hours of my life to look forward to.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Do GU G-rank before Rise G-rank IMO. GU is amazing in a way that overlaps with Rise and you don't want Sunbreak robbng you of that 1000 hours of MH fun (350 hours for me, btw).

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

My only MH experience is World and Rise, and I slightly prefer Rise. It's a much cleaner, simpler experience with a lot of the cruft shaved down. It was a lot easier for me to discern the different town and equipment mechanics in Rise than it was in World. Not to say it's complicated in World, but rather it's just cleaner and easier to figure out what does what in Rise. World is really great and looks amazing, but Rise just feels a little smoother? I dunno

Rise also has the Wirebug and Palamute, which are incredible

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Rise takes the cake because you can actually just play it with your friends immediately, no Cutscene syncing rubbish.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metos posted:

Rise takes the cake because you can actually just play it with your friends immediately, no Cutscene syncing rubbish.

Yeah, although I still miss hubs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I miss sieges. And 16 player hubs. And themed gathering halls for all the occasions

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I miss the Seliana hub. I want to live there.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bigger hub player counts are the only thing I miss. But there's so much that Rise does right, it's a tiny loss.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I miss sieges. And 16 player hubs. And themed gathering halls for all the occasions

Hubs are fine but I hope sieges don't come back. Shoehorning live service crap and MMO mechanics was my biggest problem with World.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's crazy how more fun KT became when they just made her a regular hunt.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I also miss cutscenes :getin:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:yikes:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

Hubs are fine but I hope sieges don't come back. Shoehorning live service crap and MMO mechanics was my biggest problem with World.

Sieges were fun because i didnt need a specific play group to still get rewards.

Of course once the siege was no longer the meta / newest it became a ghost town but still

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is what they took from us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-pmC73xjU8

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

whoa what's going on here. Am I just today learning by accident that the shoryu in Rise has a guard point??

https://twitter.com/In__Training/status/1474162419362451456?s=20

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

In Training posted:

whoa what's going on here. Am I just today learning by accident that the shoryu in Rise has a guard point??

https://twitter.com/In__Training/status/1474162419362451456?s=20

If I remember correctly it also makes your Metsu Shoryugeki stronger if you nail the guard point. It's such a satisfying switch skill.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah not only does it have a guard point it's a better attack if you guard an attack with it, it is a very good skill.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sword and Shield is sick in Rise tbh. And that's only mostly because of the shoryu.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Super satisfying to guard point the monsters opening roar with a shoryuken, to start the fight with a ko

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wish DBs had some fun high skill poo poo like that in Rise. The silk dodge is incredibly good but… that’s about it. I hate the Kunai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sword and Shield is sick in Rise tbh. And that's only mostly because of the shoryu.

I've enjoyed it quite a bit but for whatever reason I think I liked the GU move set more. I think the fluidity of SNS was more pronounced in a game without wirebug mobility options. Also the ability to silk dodge + potion makes weapon unsheathed item use way less cool by comparison. But the elemental drill slash is very visceral and satisfying and walking around precise position to keep your offensive up nonstop is still a great knowledge goal. Having a blast with it.

I been trying to do at least 50 hunts with every weapon, what's the most OP cheater gun LBG setup imaginable when I get to that one. Haven't really looked into it much but I just assume RF pierce will always be the king.