Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I liked Kyoraku's bankai cause it had a pretty lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

Is there an anime with as good an OST as Bleach? From the weird dissonant stuff to the intense symphonic poo poo, I don't think, note for note, Sagisu has produced anything as good as what he did for Bleach.

Doubt it, that thing had flavor for days. Making the third OST a full-on gypsy/rhumba flamenco dark Spanish hybrid was a ridiculously cool concept, no other villains have had the same stage presence since then (even though half went out like bitches)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aizen was a ridiculous "everything was just my illusion and also I'm invincible anyway" villain, but he's so smug and charismatic about it that he's a lot of fun and it's satisfying to watch him get owned.

Also he was right.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Aizen was a liberator and I greeted him as such

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i'm an aizen simp

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Bleach, for all its many flaws, was always interesting or engaging even at its worst. Very few chapters fell entirely flat because there would usually be something cool happening or one great looking panel, or something hilariously stupid. It's why we still have a thread and are excited for the next anime despite knowing how awful some parts are. Like yeah the bird god thing was dumb as gently caress but it looked crazy and it was so nonsensical that it was funny. Everything about Thor was dumb but we got absolutely awesome poo poo with Kenpachi and Komamura from it. The ending feels a dozen or more chapters away but suddenly wraps up in two. It's like the end of an episode of Charmed, suddenly the bad guy is poofed away, all problems are now solved. It's awful but so absurd it still entertains.

I will hold out a weird extended unlikely hope that they fix the last bit up a little, but there's no fixing Ishida's arc. Maybe have Ryuuken and Isshin do a bit more, have a bit more of a final fight.

Or if they don't add anything, just recontextualize it. Have the last bits just take place in an extended sequence set to the best tracks from the Bleach soundtrack since Bleach is best enjoyed as an AMV anyway.

I think you might be looking through rose-tinted lens here. I remember the Bleach thread during the last arc basically constantly talking about how bad it was and how it wasn't even an entertaining sort of bad (but you still keep reading just because it's almost over and doesn't exactly take much time each week). It took the sort of patterns/cliches that have always existed in the series to such an extreme that it was almost impressive. Nearly every single fight would have multiple instances of characters seemingly losing and then no-selling the attack.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

MJeff posted:

I like how it was just a bunch of cool random poo poo happening that boiled down to "you die."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Doc Fission posted:

Aizen was a liberator and I greeted him as such

He recognized the truth, that Soul Society is the worst heaven ever

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fascist ghosts found the afterlife and decided to 'improve' it for their own benefit by taking absolute control and butchering the closest thing there was to a god. then the cool rebel mc threw in with the fascists, who remained fascists.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Kubo is the real villain for not making IchiRuki canon

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Too good for this world.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aizen was bad

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

If they don't do Aizen's chair justice I'm gonna freak it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MJeff posted:

The ultimate reveal about Kyoraku's zan being a cute lady he wanted to gently caress was pretty much the perfect capstone for him.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Anime is gonna be funny assuming it's the same studio, since as I remember the animation team were blatant IchRuki simps and poured a ton of love into animating a filler episode that was basically them going on a date.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Sydin posted:

Anime is gonna be funny assuming it's the same studio, since as I remember the animation team were blatant IchRuki simps and poured a ton of love into animating a filler episode that was basically them going on a date.

Episode 342, if anyone was wondering.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sydin posted:

The ultimate reveal about Kyoraku's zan being a cute lady he wanted to gently caress was pretty much the perfect capstone for him.

Compiling the list of shinigami who would gently caress their swords' spirits.

Y
Sep 29, 2004

it's time to step up

Lib and let die posted:

Is there an anime with as good an OST as Bleach? From the weird dissonant stuff to the intense symphonic poo poo, I don't think, note for note, Sagisu has produced anything as good as what he did for Bleach.

Bleach isn't even the best Shiro Sagisu score.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

hiddenriverninja posted:

It does not help it is the only relationship throughout all of Bleach where both characters actually have some chemistry, romantic or otherwise. Even in the Hell Arc oneshot I feel more of a dynamic in Rukia yelling at Ichigo over the phone than I feel with her talking to her husband.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Y posted:

Bleach isn't even the best Shiro Sagisu score.

You can't just drop a line like that and not follow it up

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

He's obviously talking about his work on Garzey's Wing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You can see where Kubo wanted to make IchiHime a thing. I would say up through the Vizard arc, he does a decent job developing Orihime, and then when she gets kidnapped, he really starts laying down the framework for a version of the story where IchiHime makes sense. Orihime is kidnapped, she confesses to Ichigo while he's asleep, everybody else thinks she defected, Ichigo is literally the only one that still believes in her and he's willing to risk it all and go against Soul Society and take on Hueco Mundo all by himself because he just believes in her that much. Orihime has her own development in Hueco Mundo, where it's built up strongly that she's very relevant to how things will shake out in the upcoming conflict, her powers are completely recontextualized to make them much stronger and she makes a promise that she is going to reject the Hyogoku out of existence, which seemingly telegraphs that she's going to factor significantly into the climax of the arc.

And then Chad and Uryu show up. Okay. Fine. They're the core cast and also Orihime's friends, that's fine. And there's an opportunity for both of them to grow in this arc too when they had been falling behind since Soul Society.
And then Rukia and Renji show up. Oooookay, that kind of undercuts the idea that they're going against Soul Society, but Rukia at least has a strong connection to Orihime and she has personal stuff going on in this arc too. That's fine.
And then the other captains show up. So the theme of the heroes doing it on their own and going against Soul Society is completely gone.
And then Aizen says "lmao I just kidnapped you to bring Soul Society here", despite him very purposefully kidnapping her in a way where Soul Society wouldn't come for her. And all of that significance that had been built up for Orihime is completely gone.

There was a very clear, distinct change in the creative direction of the story after Ichigo vs. Grimmjow that just kinda turfed what had been built up so far. It felt like Kubo had been setting up for some long term thing with the Winter War and then he just threw it out when he did the Fake Karakura stuff instead. And as a result, IchiHime got turfed as well, cause Orihime basically did nothing for the rest of the manga when that shift happened.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 26, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I legitimately think Rukia and Ichigo work best as friends anyway.

Just two friends who burn incredibly bright, but you probably know would never ever work out long term with each other.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

IchiPachi or gtfo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Poor Tatsuki, confesses her love for Orihime and is never seen again

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

FuturePastNow posted:

She and Rapey lesbian archtype who's name I forget are probably together.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

FuturePastNow posted:

He was telegraphing Tatsuki getting powers so hard and it just...never happened. :lol:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Tatsuki got loving robbed and I will never forgive Kubo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It felt like Kubo had a ton of plans/ideas and then his editor woke up from a coma and told him to wrap it up ASAP

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Still remembering how Shinji had one of the better long term builds only to get owned by Aizen because no fuckin way is Shinji gonna beat Aizen, sorry sir

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Regarding what mjeff said about the abrupt shift in the hueco Mundo story, Kubo had a notoriously toxic relationship with the Jump editorial staff. Combined with his shortcomings when it comes to improvising I would not be surprised if some edict from the higher ups hosed his entire poo poo up

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Shinji was the first guy in the entire loving manga to actually hit Aizen and then he just immediately got punked right after.

Stairmaster posted:

Regarding what mjeff said about the abrupt shift in the hueco Mundo story, Kubo had a notoriously toxic relationship with the Jump editorial staff. Combined with his shortcomings when it comes to improvising I would not be surprised if some edict from the higher ups hosed his entire poo poo up

I would really love to hear the entire behind the scenes history of Bleach someday, between the shift I was talking about and the equally abrupt shift at the end, it seems like the whole run of the manga was just loving plagued.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

I would not be surprised if some edict from the higher ups hosed his entire poo poo up

I don't think any reasonable person could doubt this when looking at the fullbringer arc especially.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
regardless of any problems with editors, kubo is still kubo. look at burn the witch, which he probably made without interference since it was a short vanity project. btw was purestrain kubo, and not in a good way.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Dexo posted:

I legitimately think Rukia and Ichigo work best as friends anyway.

Just two friends who burn incredibly bright, but you probably know would never ever work out long term with each other.

Yeah, I really like the idea that a boy and girl can have an incredibly meaningful friendship and change each other's lives without it necessarily being romantic. I think the manga does a good job of showing they each belong in their respective worlds. There's no point at which Ichigo yearns to be in SS and there are multiple points where Rukia proves she belongs there and wants to build real community there. At the end of the day they're both heavily responsibility-driven characters and it so happens their responsibilities are in different places.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

regardless of any problems with editors, kubo is still kubo. look at burn the witch, which he probably made without interference since it was a short vanity project. btw was purestrain kubo, and not in a good way.

I thought Burn the Witch has been solid.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I can't find any images of the original artwork, but I remember seeing Kubo draw Tatsuki as a shinigami with a cat/weasel thing as her zanpakuto:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

I can't find any images of the original artwork, but I remember seeing Kubo draw Tatsuki as a shinigami with a cat/weasel thing as her zanpakuto:

It doesn't seem to be enjoying its life much.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

As a side note, I really enjoyed zanpakutou rebellion+follow up arc with filler Kuchiki guy. All the zanpakuto humanoid forms were cool, except for Renji's, who had a badass monkey snake monster that became a big boobed furry woman attached to a child.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

hiddenriverninja posted:

As a side note, I really enjoyed zanpakutou rebellion+follow up arc with filler Kuchiki guy. All the zanpakuto humanoid forms were cool, except for Renji's, who had a badass monkey snake monster that became a big boobed furry woman attached to a child.

Within the continuity of the anime and various filler skits, Renji canonically had Mayuri perform a sex change on his zanpakuto to turn it into a big tiddy sword gf. There's a whole skit where Mayuri is advertising this service and shows example pamphlets to Renji and Hisagi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
despite ichigo's multiple confusing and contradictory power sources, he's a living human. and while it was never really a focus, rukia is dead. she's a dang ghost, who came from the afterlife and can only meaningfully interact with the world of the living by inhabiting an unsettling flesh doll. rukia's almost certainly not even a ghost baby, in the sense of ghost fuckin' following by a ghost pregnancy, a ghost birth and a ghost child. instead, she died as an infant (presumably at the same time as her sister) and ended up in the infinite slum town afterlife.

but well, i suppose it's still possible that rukongai inhabitants can reproduce despite how utterly insane that would be and how it would directly contradict how the whole afterlife is supposed to work. it's bleach, after all. that would leave the possibility open that rukia was a ghost baby and not a baby ghost. i got off topic.